PDA

View Full Version : Is Milton really this dumb?

TOBTTReds
03-07-2006, 05:56 PM
From Marc

Milton's thoughts

DUNEDIN -- Took a while, but we finally talked with Milton a few minutes ago. His right calf was heavily wrapped in ice, and you can guess what his mood was like.

"It’s hard for me to use my calf as an excuse for the way I was pitching," he said. "If I can throw the ball, I’m going to go out there and throw the ball. I’m not looking for a reason to come out of the game, that’s for sure."

Does he need to shut it down for a while to make sure he's healed completely before going back on the mound?

"For me, I’ve got to be out there. After today, I want to go back out there tomorrow and pitch. I’ve got to listen to the doctors and the trainers and do what they say, but if it was up to me, I’d be pitching tomorrow. Today was pretty much an embarrassment to me."

If they let him pitch with in the next week, I would be upset. This is ridiculous. If he was embarrassed about today, imagine what it would be like if he pitches again with a bad leg.

Does he not understand? Without strong legs he will never get anyone out. His embarrassment has been his fault because he not healthy (not his fault he is hurt, but that he is playing hurt). This is 100% selfish if he pitches hurt again. Unbelievable that this coaching staff lets this happen. If I were manager, he would not be pitching for atleast a week. He is now completely untrusting and could hurt the team completely after he said he felt great. If he goes out there unhealthy he could screw up his entire season. This guy is pathetic.

Hoosier Red
03-07-2006, 06:37 PM
No, he's not really that dumb.
He just was embarrassed by a bad performance and wants to make it better as soon as possible.
He won't pitch tomorrow, or in the next week.
Alternatively he could have said this;
"Well it was really difficult going out there with my calf hurting like it was. I think that really had an impact on my pitches."
or this
"Well I gave up that homer and the hard hits, but other than that I felt good, it's early, I won't worry about it."

How do you think those comments would have gone over?

Hoosier Red
03-07-2006, 06:41 PM
Really for all the faults, people should at least give him credit for owning up to it when he pitches poorly. Which is pretty much always.

TOBTTReds
03-07-2006, 07:27 PM
Really for all the faults, people should at least give him credit for owning up to it when he pitches poorly. Which is pretty much always.

I do agree. He is a 'no excuses' type of guy, which is why he wants to get out there so often. But the injuries are not excuses, they are reasons why he doesn't perform well. He should be a man of reasoning more often.

I think Lancaster just copied and pasted that article from every other game last year.

captainmorgan07
03-07-2006, 09:56 PM
we need more no excuses type of guys but he should be atlesat smart enough to not pitch till he's 100% not 85% because we atlaest need teh guy to throw a few innings in spring training

Marc D
03-07-2006, 10:02 PM
4 H/4 R/1 HR in 2/3 IP

Look at the bright side, how many teams can say their ace is in mid season form right now?

acredsfan
03-07-2006, 10:21 PM
Is Milton really that dumb?

Short Answer: Yes

Long Answer: YYYYYYYYYeeeeeeeessssssss

In all seriousness though, come on, he is like every other professional athlete, he is a competitor, and you can't fault him for being embarrassed and saying that he'd like to go back out tomorrow to defend his honor. Everybody would be all over him if he said he wanted to shut it down and wait until the calf was fully healed. What do you want the guy to say? "Yeah, i sure sucked today, maybe i should just retire." Not that i'm defending Milton, but man, give him a break, he's just a human being who has been embarrassed and for some odd reason thinks he can do better.

Krusty
03-08-2006, 12:36 AM
The Real Games haven't started yet. I think we need to ease up on the guy. Once the season starts, then make him fair game.

TOBTTReds
03-08-2006, 12:38 AM
Everybody would be all over him if he said he wanted to shut it down and wait until the calf was fully healed. What do you want the guy to say? "Yeah, i sure sucked today, maybe i should just retire." Not that i'm defending Milton, but man, give him a break, he's just a human being who has been embarrassed and for some odd reason thinks he can do better.

Yeah actually I would like him to say, "I need to be 100% or atleast 95% to pitch effectivly. Right now I'm not at that level."

Then I would like, "I will be there soon by following the trainer's advice to get ready for my next start." Which he kind of said. But I don't think he is honest enough to do that.

wheels
03-08-2006, 12:53 AM
The Real Games haven't started yet. I think we need to ease up on the guy. Once the season starts, then make him fair game.

:confused:

Don't we already have enough of a sample size already to deduce that he stinks on ice?

OnBaseMachine
03-08-2006, 06:38 AM
:confused:

Don't we already have enough of a sample size already to deduce that he stinks on ice?

We have enough sample size to confirm that he stinks on ice, grass, turf, gravel, AND dirt.

puca
03-08-2006, 09:24 AM
4 H/4 R/1 HR in 2/3 IP

Look at the bright side, how many teams can say their ace is in mid season form right now?

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Redsland
03-08-2006, 10:24 AM
I think that mound looked off.

:)

Doc. Scott
03-08-2006, 11:52 AM
Dumb isn't really the word. Do you want him to hide in the corner, sobbing, screaming "DON'T MAKE ME GO BACK OUT THERE!"?

Actually, you probably do, so my point will end up lost.

Of all the deluded idiots in baseball, Eric Milton doesn't strike me as one in particular. At this point I'm either rooting for him to get better and return to mediocrity or just watch the Reds dine on his contract. One or the other needs to just hurry up and happen already.

TOBTTReds
03-08-2006, 12:13 PM
Dumb isn't really the word. Do you want him to hide in the corner, sobbing, screaming "DON'T MAKE ME GO BACK OUT THERE!"?

Actually, you probably do, so my point will end up lost.

Of all the deluded idiots in baseball, Eric Milton doesn't strike me as one in particular. At this point I'm either rooting for him to get better and return to mediocrity or just watch the Reds dine on his contract. One or the other needs to just hurry up and happen already.

As previously stated:

I do agree. He is a 'no excuses' type of guy, which is why he wants to get out there so often. But the injuries are not excuses, they are reasons why he doesn't perform well. He should be a man of reasoning more often.

Yeah actually I would like him to say, "I need to be 100% or atleast 95% to pitch effectivly. Right now I'm not at that level."

Then I would like, "I will be there soon by following the trainer's advice to get ready for my next start." Which he kind of said. But I don't think he is honest enough to do that.

Also, I'm not ripping on him for pitching poorly. I'm ripping on him for pitching at 75% or whatever, then saying basically if it weren't for the doctors, he would be out there ASAP. That is what is dumb.

TOBTTReds
03-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Remdog helped my case in a thread about Milton on Reds Live.

As for Milton: ya' just felt another pull in the calf that's already set you back in ST and you go out there and throw 12 more pitches!?! It's Spring Training knucklehead! Get off the mound now and see the trainer immediately!

Rem

KronoRed
03-08-2006, 12:36 PM
I think his actions on the mound last year have scarred us all for life.:angry:

GAC
03-08-2006, 08:47 PM
The question is - are the trainers/medical staff even DUMBER for not being on top of the situation, understanding the seriousness of the injury, and allowing him to even go out there and try to pitch, and really aggravating the situation even worse then it is?

But is losing Milton for any length of time really a bad thing? Think about it. ;)

Personally, and all joking aside, I'm rootin' for the guy this year. I'm hoping for a "resurrection", and then a mid-season trade. We're not the only suckers in MLB.

remdog
03-09-2006, 06:12 AM
Prior to the game Milton was quoted as saying that throwing pitches didn't bother his calf but sprinting to cover a base did. So here he is, feeling pain after sprinting to back up home plate. I'm not trying to fault the trainers but maybe someone should have checked him after the play as a precautionary move. :dunno:

Rem

GAC
03-09-2006, 08:43 AM
Prior to the game Milton was quoted as saying that throwing pitches didn't bother his calf but sprinting to cover a base did.

This really shouldn't be a problem though for Milton. He doesn't have to worry about sprinting to cover the bleacher seats in RF (where most of his pitches land)

:jump:

TOBTTReds
09-17-2006, 05:49 PM
Did this just happen again?? He left his last game halfway through because of injury. Doesn't skip a start and was back at it today. Unreal.

DISCLAIMER: Not saying he was hurt today...but all the signs were there.

KittyDuran
09-17-2006, 07:06 PM
You know what's sad... I didn't even look at the date of the opening post on this thread and thought it was for today! :help:

Red in Chicago
09-17-2006, 07:17 PM
You know what's sad... I didn't even look at the date of the opening post on this thread and thought it was for today! :help:

you're not the only one kd :p:

REDREAD
09-18-2006, 08:06 AM
How do you think those comments would have gone over?

Milton should've said "I'm so glad to be in Cincy, where it doesn't matter if you win or lose" :laugh:

In all seriousness though, the AvesIce does have a point. When these guys go to the mound, knowing they are hurt, 90% of the time they hurt the team not help it.

Unassisted
09-18-2006, 08:53 AM
That's why teams have managers. Left to their own devices, most players would write themselves into the lineup or into the rotation as much as possible.

It was true back in March and it's true today. ;)

Heath
09-18-2006, 09:03 AM
Milton should've said "I'm so glad to be in Cincy, where it doesn't matter if you win or lose" :laugh:

In all seriousness though, the AvesIce does have a point. When these guys go to the mound, knowing they are hurt, 90% of the time they hurt the team not help it.

I'd agree with you redread, but the pressure of making so much money to perform, the competitive nature of ballplayers, and Wally Pipp Disease are major factors why Eric Milton pitched on Sunday.

Which begs the question - is a 75% Eric Milton better than an 100% Jason Johnson?

Ltlabner
09-18-2006, 09:38 AM
That's why teams have managers. Left to their own devices, most players would write themselves into the lineup or into the rotation as much as possible.

It was true back in March and it's true today. ;)

I've carped about this situation several times in the past. If the player flat out lies about how they feal then I guess there is little a manager can do. But I still wonder a few things. When Milton was warming up, would it have been reasonable to expect the bullpen coach to spot that something was wrong? If Hume was watching the warm ups, would it be reasonable to expect that he should have picked up that something was amiss?

Since this has been an issue (players hiding injuries) would it be reasonable to expect that Mark Mann would routinley be inspecting players to ensure they are healthy? I'd think that if he inspected Milton, manipluated his arm and saw Milty wence or grimce he would have known something is up. This is all very speculative and probably not likely to happen.

We'll never know, but I sure hope Narron is addressing this issue and making it clear that "playing through the pain" is pigheaded and only hurts the team. Then again, he's been talking about good defense and fundementals all year too, so maybe this wouldn't be an effective move.

WVRedsFan
09-18-2006, 11:44 AM
Maybe it's just me, but some of the fault has to lie on the managerial staff on this one. Or the medical staff. Why would you send a guy out there after 3 or 4 days from having a shot in the elbow and expect him to pitch well? Maybe they miss Vern Ruhle more than we know?

dfs
09-18-2006, 12:15 PM
Maybe it's just me, but some of the fault has to lie on the managerial staff on this one. Or the medical staff.

It doesn't seem to be systemic to all of baseball. The reds have an extraordinary number of players who take the field already hurt or end up with mystery return dates once they do go down with an injury.
Claussen was hurt, but pitching. Williams was hurt, but pitching. The Lizard was hurt, but pitching. Merker pitched till his elbow fell off. Exactly who did the medical ok on Majewski? How long did it take Matt Belisle to come back? Junior is still day to day isn't he? He hasn't sniffed a pinch hitting at bat in weeks.

It's gone on with several different managers and coaching staffs.
It's spanned General managers, clubhouse staff and even stadiums.
The ONLY thing constant has been the medical guy doing the diagnostic work and all anybody ever hears about him is how great he is. He may be the best surgeon in the world, but his diagnostic ability is terrible.

TOBTTReds
09-18-2006, 01:30 PM
Maybe it's just me, but some of the fault has to lie on the managerial staff on this one. Or the medical staff.

I know what you are saying, but Milton is a 30 something year old man. He doesn't need a baby sitter, and as a vet, he should know when he can pitch and when he can't.

Wally Pipp Disease

Don't you need someone with any hope behind you to have this? We have Homer, but still have a couple open rotation spots next year open.

redsmetz
09-18-2006, 02:31 PM
The ONLY thing constant has been the medical guy doing the diagnostic work and all anybody ever hears about him is how great he is. He may be the best surgeon in the world, but his diagnostic ability is terrible.

It does seem that way, doesn't it? And Marty was saying how someone told him "Doc Hollywood" is the new James Andrews (the Birmingham surgeon). I wonder sometimes if Kremchek isn't enamored with the fame. I certainly would be reevaluating the medical staff after this season. But that's just me.