PDA

View Full Version : Closer

captainmorgan07
03-07-2006, 09:54 PM
If you had your choice out of all the bullpen guys who do u want closing most of the games in the closer by commitee system which i never have liked

TOBTTReds
03-08-2006, 12:22 AM
Coffey, if he seems he can handle it, he is the man.

VI_RedsFan
03-08-2006, 07:43 AM
Coffey, definately.

jmbraun773
03-08-2006, 07:54 AM
I lke Coffey as well

paulrichjr
03-08-2006, 09:09 AM
Graves:laugh:

CySeymour
03-08-2006, 09:23 AM
Hume's in the bullpen, right?

ED44
03-08-2006, 09:29 AM
I keep hoping Wagner can become the closer, but I am not sure he has the mentality. So, I am with the others...I go with Coffey.

RedsManRick
03-08-2006, 09:38 AM
If he ever gets his head on straight and his control in line, Wagner will be lights out. Coffee seems like he could be a decent closer until that happens.

BigRed
03-08-2006, 10:10 AM
Coffey has the potential, but we have never seen him do it. To be the closer, you have to have more than stuff. He has to have the bulldog mentality. I am curious to see who on this staff has it. I would have liked to have seen the club bring in a veteran closer to help develop one of the young guys for the job, but I guess it wasn't on their list of priorities. When Wagner is going well, he is lights out, but has not shown the mentality. My guess is that they will go again with closer by committee and let someone take the job with their performance.

RedsFan75
03-08-2006, 10:31 AM
BigRed,
Coffey was the closer in AAA and AA if I'm not mistaken

Jr's Boy
03-08-2006, 11:14 AM
Coffey

Superdude
03-08-2006, 03:20 PM
Coffey was pretty rough last year guys. Unless he's improved, which definitely isn't out of the question, I don't think he's worthy of the closer's role.

BigRed
03-08-2006, 03:22 PM
RedsFan 75: You're right, he was a closer in the minor leagues and had impressive numbers as far as I know. However, that's still not the same as doing it in the big leagues. Many people dominate in AAA and never make it in the bigs. I hope that he can be an all star, I just think we need to see it before we declare him to be the man.

Matt700wlw
03-08-2006, 03:31 PM
Wagner if he can get his head together.....but that's a process, that will take time.

Coffey right now.

Highlifeman21
03-08-2006, 07:10 PM
Wagner

RedsMan3203
03-08-2006, 07:24 PM
Only one person can Weather this storm.

Phhhl
03-08-2006, 07:34 PM
I don't think we got to see the best of Todd Coffey last season. He kept topping out at 92-93, but the reports were that he could hit 97 on the gun.
It was almost as if he had a tired arm by the time he hit the bigs last season, which could explain why he leaned so much on his offspeed pitch and occasionally took a beating. So, I am hoping to see him use his fastball a little more, and to show a little more life on it.

I also have hopes that Mario's circle change suits him well, as Coffey himself seems to be pretty happy with it so far.

Coffey is the best closer candidate on the squad right now. He has excellent control and good stuff, and most hitters get themselves out even if an average pitcher has command. I would be comfortable if Narron named him the closer right now.

elfmanvt07
03-16-2006, 12:25 AM
Well, we didn't get the best of Danny Graves for two weeks and we cut him. I think Danny deserved more leeway. I liked the guy.

Caveat Emperor
03-16-2006, 02:20 AM
Well, we didn't get the best of Danny Graves for two weeks and we cut him. I think Danny deserved more leeway. I liked the guy.

Caller: I miss velocity-throwing Danny Graves...
Ron: Yeah, I miss him too. He was the best.

Only one person can Weather this storm.

I don't think there's anyone on this team other than David Weathers or Kent Merker who I would count on to reliably get 3 outs in a game winning situation. There are other players who have shown flashes of ability but nobody has really convinced me that they're ready for the job.

Wagner loses command completely at times, has seen a velocity drop over the last 2 seasons and relies too heavily on his slider, Belisle throws a curveball that has a tendency to hang like it sees Mr. Cooper, and Coffee just puts too many people on base to be considered closer material.

For now, I say Weathers, due to gross inferiority of the competition.

JinAZ
03-16-2006, 02:36 AM
Wagner if he can get his head together.....but that's a process, that will take time.

Coffey right now.

I have nothing against Coffey, but I'd give some serious consideration to Wagner; statheads would argue that he actually had an ok year last year:
* His FIP (fielding independent pitching; essentially ERA independent of fielding and luck) was 3.81. This is a MASSIVE difference from his actual ERA of 6.11, and indicates that he was the victim of either some terrible luck and/or (most likely and) horrific fielding behind him.
* His BABIP (batting average on balls hit into play, not counting home runs) was 0.356, which is absurdly high. Pitchers have little or no control over BABIP, and therefore it tends to be a function of defense and luck; a typical BABIP is about 0.290, and it fluctuates a great deal from year to year in pitchers' careers.
* His HR/9 last year was very good for a Reds' pitcher at 0.79 (we averaged 1.3 HR's per 9 innings in '05), and was down from 1.22 in '04.
* His BB/9 last year, 3.35, was lower than any year since college, and is WAY down from his MLB totals in '03 and '04 (4.98 and 4.70 respectively).
* His K/9 last year (7.69) was up from the '04 season (6.45), though it was not up to his minor league averages (10.17) or the 20 innings he threw in '03 (10.38). To me, this means he can still improve this year.

I think he's going to be fine this year. Psychologically, he might still feel like he got shelled last year, so maybe it would be better to stick him in a set up role and let him (hopefully) have some success for a half year or so. But I can also see an argument for sticking him in the closer role and seeing what happens. It's not like we're going to be good this year anyway.
-JinAZ

TeamBoone
03-16-2006, 01:20 PM
WHAT ABOUT WILLIAMSON? There has been much speculation in Chicago that Cubs reliever, and former Reds closer, Scott Williamson is available in a trade.

Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky would not comment when asked if the Reds have been approached.

Williamson, a 30-year-old right-hander, would fit the closer role.

Last season he returned from a second surgery on his right elbow, and was 0-0 with a 5.65 ERA in 17 games. He allowed 15 hits and struck out 23 over 141/3 innings.

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060315/SPT04/603150380/1071

KronoRed
03-16-2006, 01:22 PM
No thanks on Willamson, he's gonna blow his arm out again real soon.

Highlifeman21
03-16-2006, 01:24 PM
After we get Williamson, we might as well go out and get Riedling back, and then maybe see if Graves wants another stint in the Queen City...

Chip R
03-16-2006, 01:46 PM
After we get Williamson, we might as well go out and get Riedling back, and then maybe see if Graves wants another stint in the Queen City...

Can we coax Dante Bichette out of retirement too?