PDA

View Full Version : Narron on Milton

flyer85
03-08-2006, 11:53 AM
He can look at EE and point out the 3-2 K with the bases loaded while ignoring the HRs.

However, he is what he said about the Milton performance

"He gave up a wind-blown home run, then there was a ball to right and a ball to center that are caught on a normal day," said Narron.

If Jerry actually believes this stuff I submit we will be wishing for the days of Miley and Boone by the end of April.

BRM
03-08-2006, 11:58 AM
The guy has an unhealthy infatuation with washed up veterans. It's not surprising that he's making excuses for one that stunk up the field yesterday.

Danny Serafini
03-08-2006, 12:06 PM
He can look at EE and point out the 3-2 K with the bases loaded while ignoring the HRs.

Except that he didn't ignore the HRs. The whole quote:

"I was disappointed he struck out with the bases loaded (on a 3-and-2 pitch) against the Yankees Sunday," said Narron. "That's when he has to put the ball in play."

Narron paused and smiled.

"I guess that's kind of nit-picking of a guy who hit three home runs in two days," he said. "He is having a good spring. He is an intelligent kid. He hit two homers (Friday against the Twins) and his second homer was a great at-bat. He fouled off several good pitches before he homered."

I think some people like to bash Narron just for the sake of bashing Narron. I know the guy isn't perfect, but once you become a target around here the piling on never stops.

Newman4
03-08-2006, 12:12 PM
Memo to Jerry. A lot of people have been fired around here lately. Dan O'Brien is one of them. You don't need to make excuses for his crappy signing of Milton. In fact, quotes like that may be hazardous to your employment stauts.

redsfan30
03-08-2006, 12:14 PM
I think some people like to bash Narron just for the sake of bashing Narron. I know the guy isn't perfect, but once you become a target around here the piling on never stops.
Exactly.

Red Rover
03-08-2006, 12:15 PM
Narron gets alot of heat. Until players are cut an its opening day, I take what he says about players with a grain of salt. Narron didn't frustrate me last year. Many on here have accused him of playing vets over youth, did this really happen or was that Miley?

BRM
03-08-2006, 12:16 PM
Except that he didn't ignore the HRs. The whole quote:

I didn't see any piling on here. Flyer pointed out that Narron made excuses for Milton's god-awful performance while talking about how he was disappointed in EE's bases loaded at-bat. That's all I read into it.

BrooklynRedz
03-08-2006, 12:19 PM
Or he's grasping at the last straw in the psych drawer. Kick the young kid in the pants by suggesting he could do better. Serve up some positive reinforcements to the soft-tossing southpaw with a penchant for serving up gophers. Or not.

ED44
03-08-2006, 12:24 PM
Not making excuses (because I am definitely NOT a big Narron fan), but his quotes towards EdE could have been to 'not let him settle' on his HRs for the day, and to push him to be the best player he can be. We have heard EdE has a good work ethic, so maybe it was Narron's way of pushing him a bit more. While his comments on Milton could have been to try and salvage any confidence that he may have left. Just a thought...and trying and give a different point of view for what Narron said....whether he is correct with what he said is definitely still up for discussion.

membengal
03-08-2006, 12:37 PM
The problem with Narron doing that is it is so unrealistic. Unless EE goes 4 for 4 every game, we should expect to hear about the "failure" in those at-bats where doesn't get a hit?

Narron and others do realize that baseball is a game where, as a hitter, you fail more often than you succeed, right?

remdog
03-08-2006, 12:42 PM

So true, so true.

Using a partial quote about EE to set up a case of Narron being overly patronizing about Milton was deceptive, at best. If you don't like what Jerry said about Milton's performance address that directly.

As for the Narron/Milton part, I'm thinking that Narron is trying to prop up Milton and trying to get something useful out of him this season 'cause, like it or not, he's ours for the rest of the year.

As for Milton: ya' just felt another pull in the calf that's already set you back in ST and you go out there and throw 12 more pitches!?! It's Spring Training knucklehead! Get off the mound now and see the trainer immediately! :bang:

Rem