PDA

View Full Version : New Pearl Jam single

The Baumer
03-08-2006, 02:02 PM
I'm not a huge PJ fan but I figure this is news. It's actually been a whopping 4 years since their last studio album.

http://invisiblelimb.net/limb/2006/...d-wide-suicide/

pedro
03-08-2006, 02:28 PM
certainly not groundbreaking but not bad.

Red Heeler
03-08-2006, 05:15 PM
I remember when Pearl Jam was a rock band.

Cedric
03-08-2006, 05:18 PM
I remember when they were a frat rock band. Ten was pretty average at best.

No Code and Yield were my two favorite albums of the late nineties. I admit that Riot Act was miserable overall though. I don't understand the massive love affair with Ten. It was amateur compared to Vitalogy/No Code/Yield.

westofyou
03-08-2006, 05:22 PM
No Code and Yield were my two favorite albums of the late nineties.Hands down the two best by them IMO.

pedro
03-08-2006, 05:28 PM
woy, have you seen that Rhapsody has a lot of those live PJ albums?

GIK
03-08-2006, 05:28 PM
Hands down the two best by them IMO.

Quoted for truth. Just listened to both last night.

vaticanplum
03-08-2006, 05:35 PM
Quoted for truth. Just listened to both last night.

I third (fourth?) this. No Code is horribly underrated, I don't know why it's not universally viewed as their best album.

westofyou
03-08-2006, 05:37 PM
woy, have you seen that Rhapsody has a lot of those live PJ albums?
Crazy covers on some of them too.

KronoRed
03-08-2006, 05:43 PM
I don't know why it's not universally viewed as their best album.
No big singles and that's all that is viewed as being a big album these days

Johnny Footstool
03-08-2006, 07:05 PM
"Ten" featured "Black" - my favorite PJ song. "Alive" was also a great track. Beyond that, the rest of the tracks were good -- not great, but no real stinkers.

"Vs" started a Pearl Jam trend of albums with a few good tracks ("Leash", "Daughter", and "Elderly Woman") but mostly made up of dense album filler. The disappointments of "Vs" and "Vitalogy" kept me from buying "No Code" and "Yield".

pedro
03-08-2006, 07:12 PM
I bought "Ten" when it came out. I think I listened to it twice.

Doc. Scott
03-08-2006, 07:26 PM
Time changes perspective. For most of the late nineties and early aughts, Ten was the gold standard in Pearl Jam's accomplishments while No Code and Yield were difficult and muddy.

GIK
03-08-2006, 07:49 PM
I'm going to play 'No Code' again tonight with all this talk. "In My Tree" and "Off He Goes" are great tracks.

Red Heeler
03-08-2006, 09:04 PM
I guess I will have to check out No Code and Yield. Like Johnny, I quit paying attention after Vs and Vitalogy.

westofyou
03-08-2006, 09:11 PM
Off He Goes" are great tracks.I especially love this track, it is soooooooooooo about a buddy of mine, going on 25 years and he's living that guy in the songs existance.

Cedric
03-08-2006, 10:36 PM
Good god how is Vitalogy so hated? Brilliant album also. That is when Eddie took over.

Johnny Footstool
03-09-2006, 12:49 AM
I especially love this track, it is soooooooooooo about a buddy of mine, going on 25 years and he's living that guy in the songs existance.

I always imagined my can would sing that song when I would leave for work in the morning.

Ravenlord
03-09-2006, 03:38 AM
never understood the fascination with Pearl Jam. the only PJ song i actually like is "Animal."

i did hear the new single tonight though. it took me til the corus to realize who it was, it was decent.

RedFanAlways1966
03-09-2006, 09:01 AM
I went and saw PJ in concert when they decided to tour after the whole TicketMaster vs. Pearl Jam fiasco (around 1991?). My girlfriend at the time was a huge PJ fan. I went b/c she wanted to go. I didn't mind PJ, but was not a big fan. It was after they released No Code. They were only playing venues that were not associated with TicketMaster. We had to call a 1-800 number that was handled by MTV (before the internet thing!). We made sure that we used a phone that had a quick re-dial function.

The show we saw was at the Univ. of Toledo's basketball arena. We roadtripped up there with another couple and got hotel. I believe PJ only played about 16 shows in the US for that tour (perhaps less than that). It was a good show and they were really big at the time. The crowd was really into it.

Back in those days I was playing in hard rock bands. We added two PJ songs in our sets (Jeremy and Black). The only reason we did it (no one in the group was a big PJ fan) was to please the ladies at the gigs. And they would always go bonkers when we'd start in on one of those two songs. Made me look forward to playing those tunes during a gig... young ladies yelling, dancing and praising must have had something to do with it?!?!? :devil:

vaticanplum
03-09-2006, 12:11 PM
never understood the fascination with Pearl Jam. the only PJ song i actually like is "Animal."

I was never a huge fan either; they were just kind of drilled into me over the years by the numerous die-hard fans that surround me...it wasn't until pretty recently that I started to appreciate them. They're still not my favorite band by any means, and I think a lot of other bands are better and more ambitious musically. But I respect them a lot for how long they've been around, the consistent quality of their songs, a lot of what they stand for...and they've got Vedder's voice which as far as I'm concerned is probably their strongest point musically. It's always going to stand them in good stead. One of the most emotional voices in music I think.

In short: not a soul-moving band for me personally, but I recognize them as great.

Johnny Footstool
03-09-2006, 12:35 PM
BTW - "Yellow Ledbetter" is probably the band's finest all-around work, vocally and musically. The bluesy solo on that song is very moving.

smith288
03-09-2006, 04:50 PM
This release is horrible. Ugh. I cant believe I ever listened to PJ... they should be used on terrorists in Gitmo...

westofyou
03-09-2006, 04:54 PM
I went and saw PJ in concert when they decided to tour after the whole TicketMaster vs. Pearl Jam fiascoI saw them a mess before they exploded, and at Neil Young Bridge Benifit a few times, the first time I saw them was at a place that held about 1500 -1800 people (The Warfield) they are a very gooo band IMO... haven't seen them in 6 years or so.

Though at a Nirvana concert once I almost bumped into Eddie in teh parking lot.

Johnny Footstool
03-09-2006, 05:00 PM
I saw them for free in the spring of 1992 at KU's then-annual "Day on the Hill" concert. I believe it was in mid-April. HUGE turnout.

Dom Heffner
03-12-2006, 01:54 PM
I always liked "Black."