PDA

View Full Version : Chris Booker

MartyFan
03-08-2006, 10:01 PM
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on the board but I just read it and thought I would see who we should seek from the Phillies for Booker.

Reliever Chris Booker, recovering from offseason right knee surgery, received medical clearance to throw off the mound and threw 20 pitches, all fastballs.

Acquired in a Rule 5 draft trade, Booker probably is too far behind to win a job with the Phillies, which means the big right-hander could return to his organization of last year, Cincinnati. If necessary, the Phillies are interested in working out a deal with the Reds to keep Booker as a minor-leaguer.

http://www.phillyburbs.com/pb-dyn/news/102-03072006-622489.html

Heath
03-08-2006, 10:59 PM
Not sure if this has been posted elsewhere on the board but I just read it and thought I would see who we should seek from the Phillies for Booker.

Cash.

Superdude
03-08-2006, 11:29 PM
Did we lose Booker in the rule 5? I thought we released him or something.

Nugget
03-09-2006, 01:47 AM
I think he was taken in the minor league portion of the rule V.

dfs
03-09-2006, 09:30 AM
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051208&content_id=1279137&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

The reds released Booker.
Chris was picked up by the nationals.
The Tigers took him as a rule V pick from the Nationals.
The Tigers traded him to the phillies.
If anybody gets compensated, it will be Jim Bowden and the nationals.

I guess OB decided that instead of taking a "minor league" closer we needed quality veteran presence. As bad as the reds pitching staff has been the last three years, the inability to find innings for Booker and before him for Hared Fernandez borders on criminal negligence. If GM's could be sued for malpractice, the evidence against OB was pretty overwelming.

traderumor
03-09-2006, 09:36 AM
http://detroit.tigers.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/press_releases/press_release.jsp?ymd=20051208&content_id=1279137&vkey=pr_det&fext=.jsp&c_id=det

The reds released Booker.
Chris was picked up by the nationals.
The Tigers took him as a rule V pick from the Nationals.
The Tigers traded him to the phillies.
If anybody gets compensated, it will be Jim Bowden and the nationals.

I guess OB decided that instead of taking a "minor league" closer we needed quality veteran presence. As bad as the reds pitching staff has been the last three years, the inability to find innings for Booker and before him for Hared Fernandez borders on criminal negligence. If GM's could be sued for malpractice, the evidence against OB was pretty overwelming.Booker got roughed up pretty bad when he finally did get out there. 2 IP/8 R/7 ER/4 BB/6 H. I'm starting to think that there is more stock in numbers posted in high school than AAA.

redsmetz
03-09-2006, 10:27 AM
Booker got roughed up pretty bad when he finally did get out there. 2 IP/8 R/7 ER/4 BB/6 H. I'm starting to think that there is more stock in numbers posted in high school than AAA.

I may be mistaken, but for the last ten years or so, it seems like AAA is stocked with quite a number of players who have some major league experience, but who aren't always the star prospects just ready to play in the bigs (some exceptions there). Many of the best prospects oftentimes are more so at AA, hence why we see kids making the jump from there. That's not to say top prospects don't spend time at AAA, and maybe this is a phenonom of the Reds. I'm thinking this dates to when more and more players with major league experience began being offered minor league deals coming into spring training. And I think that is true throughout the majors.

dfs
03-09-2006, 12:44 PM
Booker got roughed up pretty bad when he finally did get out there. 2 IP/8 R/7 ER/4 BB/6 H. I'm starting to think that there is more stock in numbers posted in high school than AAA.

Does that sample size say 2 innings pitched and you're willing to trust it? More than 100 translated innings from AA and AAA over the last two years?

OK.

The reds bullpen was where leads went to die last year. They found a place for everybody but Booker and then made judegment on him in 2 innings? In medicine that would be malpractice. I don't think the guy was the second coming of Rob Dibble, but given the state of the reds staff discarding him without giving him a chance to pitch was silly.

Superdude
03-10-2006, 06:44 PM
I love how we justify giving up Booker by the 2 innings he pitched at the end of the year. Anybody could get rocked in 2 innings.

M2
03-10-2006, 07:00 PM
I love how we justify giving up Booker by the 2 innings he pitched at the end of the year. Anybody could get rocked in 2 innings.

But can just anybody get rocked like a hurricane?