PDA

View Full Version : Personal encounters with rude athletes and/or celebrities

max venable
03-09-2006, 07:57 PM
Have you had any personal encounters with a rude athlete?

Here are a couple that come to mind for me:

Ken Hill. Dude was nasty to me at ST 6 or 7 years ago. I asked him to sign an 8x10 and he yelled something at me that I couldn't understand. I saw him about 20 minutes later and again he literally yelled: "I told you, I DON'T SIGN 8x10s!" Geez. Sorry I asked.

Ken Griffey Jr. Now, don't get me wrong. I love the dude. I think he was having a bad day. My buddy and I had tried to get his sig for about 4 straight days at ST. One day he finally gave us glimmer of hope by telling us he'd likely sign after an intrasquad game. He came back by and completely ignored us. My buddy, under his breath mumbled, "A-Rod would sign." And then Jr. went off. Dropped the F-bomb in front of everyone (including kids). Disappointing.

Ken Caminiti. Ran into him once and tried to compliment him and he came off as an arrogant jerk. Don't know if that was out of character for him but it sure turned me off.

I just realized that all three of my guys so far are named Ken. Weird. Purely coincidence. Or are all Kens known to be grump-faces? :D

Oh...here's one. Jose Canseco. Jerk. My wife and I were watching him take BP in batting cage at ST...no one else around. He cracks his bat and sets it to the side. As he's leaving my wife asks him if she can have the bat as a souvenir. He responds, "No way. I'm keeping the F-ing bat until it F-ing breaks in two. O-kay Jose. Thanks bud. :thumbup:

My wife's cousin said she waitressed for Peyton Manning at a restaurant and found him to be a complete jerk (and a poor tipper). I find that hard to believe though.

James Brooks once lied to my friend and I telling us that he's not James Brooks. He wasn't nasty. He just denied being JB. We're huge Bengals fans and we knew it was him.

Guess you can't blame guys a lot of times. I'm sure they get bothered all the time. And, of course, I've come across MANY very rude fans.

WVRed
03-09-2006, 08:16 PM
I've never had any celebrity encounters, but I do know some who have had encounters with Randy Moss and Amos Zereoue. Neither of them were very great, from what I was told.

Dom Heffner
03-09-2006, 08:22 PM
I was at a signing at the old Kenwood Mall that had the members of the Bengals "Swat Team" from the 1988 season. Ickey Woods was standing behind the table, and since it was near closing time and no one else was around, I asked him for an autogrpah. He said he didn't sign autographs and was really rude. I asked him again-I have no idea why- and he again refused.

10 seconds later, he writes his name and number down for some girl (he was married at the time) standing there and was like, "Here baby, call me."

When I heard he was selling vacuum cleaners door to door, I was really happy about it. Jerk.

RedsBaron
03-09-2006, 08:30 PM
The only encounter I ever had with a celebrity was when I met Chuck Yeager a few years ago at a dinner for Yeager Scholars at Marshall University. He was very cordial, autographed my copy of his biography, and was a blast to be around.
One of my law partners encountered former Marshall and current Jets QB Chad Pennington a few years ago at a local Huntington restaurant. Chad was very gracious and signed autographs for my partner to take to his sons.

vaticanplum
03-09-2006, 08:41 PM
I have waited on countless celebrities and I have to say I never found any of them to be rude. (Normal folks, on the other hand...) I did have one very funny encounter with a very famous supermodel, who shall remain nameless, whose companion paid for her meal and left a generous tip, and after the two of them departed, said supermodel returned to the table and made off with the tip! It was too funny to be irritating.

I've met celebrities without waiting on them too and I've been lucky there too I guess. But this website is a great favorite in the service industry and is a lot of fun:

www.bitterwaitress.com

ochre
03-09-2006, 09:10 PM
ironically Albert Belle was extremely diligent and gracious about signing autographs after an Indians game I went to in the mid 90s.

Phil Simms was a bit arrogant at his football camp at morehead state in the summer of '87. Freaking Phil McConkey and Mark Bavarro didn't even show up. Punks.

Cyclone792
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
I was at a signing at the old Kenwood Mall that had the members of the Bengals "Swat Team" from the 1988 season. Ickey Woods was standing behind the table, and since it was near closing time and no one else was around, I asked him for an autogrpah. He said he didn't sign autographs and was really rude. I asked him again-I have no idea why- and he again refused.

10 seconds later, he writes his name and number down for some girl (he was married at the time) standing there and was like, "Here baby, call me."

When I heard he was selling vacuum cleaners door to door, I was really happy about it. Jerk.

Must be something about those 1988 Bengals.

A few years ago, David Fulcher used to work at the company I now currently work for. Many of my co-workers also worked with him at the time, and not one of them has a nice thing to say about the guy.

John Riedling and Marquis Grissom are the only athletes ever to be rude to me, with Riedling doing it at Redsfest a few years ago. I actually tried to compliment Riedling by telling him I was glad the Reds didn't trade him during the 2003 firesale, but I think he thought I said I thought the Reds should have traded him. He gave me a dirty look and mumbled something underneath his breath that apparently weren't friendly words according to others that heard it, but I didn't hear what he said.

I probably deserved Marquis Grissom going off on me because I asked him what it felt like to play for a terrible team :laugh:

On the other hand, I've had a ton of pleasant experiences. Ryan Wagner, Brandon Claussen, Adam Dunn and Sean Casey have all been exceptionally cordial to me. Chris Reitsma joked around with me about all the nightlife he hits after games (he'd also ask me if I knew various girls that he was staring at while talking to me).

Jeff Bagwell was also a very humble and standup guy when I got his autograph at a game during BP and we had a nice conversation about his recent hitting streaks, how he was holding up during the season, stuff like that.

dman
03-09-2006, 09:17 PM
Kirk Gibson 1985 spring training - I was visiting my grandmother at her winter home in Ft. Myers, Fl. and went to see a Tigers/Royals game at the Royals' s/t camp in Ft. Myers. When the Tigers came through to take the field, I tried to get Gibson to autograph a card and baseball for me and he literally knocked the baseball out of my hand and said "I don't have time for this crap, leave me alone right now." Lance Parrish was right behind him and gave Gibson the dirtiest look and I'm sure he also gave Gibson a few words of his own later. Anyway, Lance took my card of him (Parrish) and autographed it. He later brought me an autographed game ball, team picture, and a Tigers spring training jersey (I don't think they had dedicated batting practice jerseys then), minus Gibson's autograph.

I always liked Lance Parrish, but this made me appreciate the kind of person he truly was and made me spite the person that Gibson really was.

max venable
03-09-2006, 09:17 PM
I have waited on countless celebrities and I have to say I never found any of them to be rude. (Normal folks, on the other hand...) I did have one very funny encounter with a very famous supermodel, who shall remain nameless, whose companion paid for her meal and left a generous tip, and after the two of them departed, said supermodel returned to the table and made off with the tip! It was too funny to be irritating.

I've met celebrities without waiting on them too and I've been lucky there too I guess. But this website is a great favorite in the service industry and is a lot of fun:

www.bitterwaitress.com
Oh come on! Give us a name! We won't tell. ;)

Patrick Bateman
03-09-2006, 09:25 PM
I haven't encountered many rude athletes except for Stephane Robidas (a hockey player for the Blackhawks at the time). He snubbed me for an autograph and really wasn't very pleasant.

Most players are pretty cool. Mike Gallo and Morgan Ensberg are 2 of the nicer guys I have encountered.

Dom Heffner
03-09-2006, 09:35 PM
The only encounter I ever had with a celebrity was when I met Chuck Yeager a few years ago at a dinner for Yeager Scholars at Marshall University. He was very cordial, autographed my copy of his biography, and was a blast to be around.

Chuck stopped by Sporty's Pilot Shop when I worked there back in the 80s. Great guy.

ironically Albert Belle was extremely diligent and gracious about signing autographs after an Indians game I went to in the mid 90s.

Albert had some problems, sure, but I've heard nothing but nice things from people who have approached him in a nice way.

Another story I heard about a celebrity but did not experience first hand:

Before Andre Agassi turned pro, he was playing a friend of mine's son down in Bradenton. Agassi showed up in jeans and a polo shirt to play in, and when my friend questioned him about his non-athletic attire he said, "This guy isn't worth dressing up for," not knowing he was talking to his opponent's mother.

The best part of the story is that she essentially agreed with Agassi- she knew he was going to get killed- but it really hurt her feelings. Being the true tennis fan she is, though, she still loves Andre (as do I- he is probably my favorite athlete of all time).

TeamBoone
03-09-2006, 11:28 PM

Phil Simms was a bit arrogant at his football camp at morehead state in the summer of '87. Freaking Phil McConkey and Mark Bavarro didn't even show up. Punks.

Hey, hey... Mark Bavarro is so far from being a punk. He probably wouldn't even say s*** if he stepped in it.

TeamBoone
03-09-2006, 11:32 PM
John Riedling and Marquis Grissom are the only athletes ever to be rude to me, with Riedling doing it at Redsfest a few years ago. I actually tried to compliment Riedling by telling him I was glad the Reds didn't trade him during the 2003 firesale, but I think he thought I said I thought the Reds should have traded him. He gave me a dirty look and mumbled something underneath his breath that apparently weren't friendly words according to others that heard it, but I didn't hear what he said.

I've seen Reidling a few times at Redsfest and he's always been nicer than nice. He honestly must have thought you said something rude to him.

Chris Reitsma joked around with me about all the nightlife he hits after games (he'd also ask me if I knew various girls that he was staring at while talking to me).

This absolutely SHOCKS me! :eek:

Everything I've ever read points to him as being a very happily-married family man.

cincinnati chili
03-09-2006, 11:35 PM
I probably deserved Marquis Grissom going off on me because I asked him what it felt like to play for a terrible team :laugh:

I know you're saying this in good fun. I've heard Grissom is a great guy from multiple sources.

Yachtzee
03-09-2006, 11:40 PM
Watch out for Natalie Portman. She's OG.

http://www.nbc.com/Video/videos/snl_1439_natalieraps.shtml

cincinnati chili
03-09-2006, 11:45 PM
I've known a few celebrities, particularly in sports. All my "celebrity jerks" stories are secondhand. I've heard a few about Barry Bonds in his early days in Pittsburgh (shocking, I know).

Don't know if this counts as a celebrity. I got to work with some people in the Commissioner's office a few years back, and can tell you that at least one prominent member of Bud's inner circle is a complete jerk. I'll leave his name out, in case I caught him on a bad couple of days.

When I interned for a club, I came across a couple young "bonus babies" who were immature. But nothing to the level of warranting the "jerk" label. Maybe I got lucky. Generally speaking, it was my observation that rookie ball players who are about 19 or so are more mature and friendly than college kids of the same age, even at "elite" colleges.

Worshipping athletes is dumb, but I give the benefit of the doubt that they're at least decent people until I hear otherwise.

westofyou
03-09-2006, 11:49 PM
Pete Rose was a jerk to my buddy at a Royals game back in the late 60's, broke his little 7 year old heart and made him a Johnny Bench fan.

I've never had a bad celebrity experience, but I also tend to not out them or pursue them. The only two celebrities I ever met that I was in awe of were Al Kaline and Jerry Garcia.

Super_Barry11
03-09-2006, 11:59 PM
I've seen Reidling a few times at Redsfest and he's always been nicer than nice. He honestly must have thought you said something rude to him.

Reidling was a sweetheart to me as well. Of course, pretty much the entire Reds team (yeah, I've met a lot of them :laugh: ) has been super nice. Of course, it probably helps that I'm a girl, but then again, I think there are quite a few of them that are truly, genuinely nice guys.

creek14
03-10-2006, 01:04 AM
Back in the 20th centrury I dated a professional athlete.

I could do a thread about rude autograph seekers and over zealous sex seekers.

Gainesville Red
03-10-2006, 01:06 AM
Once at a game in Plant City, when I couldn't have been older than nine or ten, my dad spotted Paul O'neil standing by himself and told me to run over and see if he'll sign my card. I remember being super-excited about it, and the pen didn't work. He looked at me and told me if I'm going to try and get autographs find a f-ing pen that works, and walked away. I was devistated. My dad still talks about it everytime he hears something about O'neil. I've almost forgotten about it, but I don't think my dad will ever forgive him. Honestly, I guess if you're going to try to get autographs you should have a pen that works, but c'mon man, that's not the way to handle it.

Super_Barry11
03-10-2006, 01:15 AM

I bet that's true... I've seen some insanely rude people acting like the players weren't even people. Living with that all the time can't be fun!! :thumbdown

Cyclone792
03-10-2006, 01:20 AM
This absolutely SHOCKS me! :eek:

Everything I've ever read points to him as being a very happily-married family man.

No idea when he got married, this happened way back in 2001 or 2002 so it's been awhile. Either way, I think his connotations were mostly in harmless joking around, not anything serious. At least that's how I took them!

I know you're saying this in good fun. I've heard Grissom is a great guy from multiple sources.

Yep, I gave him a tongue-in-cheek jab at the Brewers woes and was laughing when he shot back, "I just like to play ball, man! It doesn't matter where, I just want to play ball!" It was one of those tones where he may have been a bit offended by the question. :devil: Other people around me were actually much more turned off to how he said it than I was because I just took it as some good ribbing to get back at me :dunno:

Gainesville Red
03-10-2006, 01:21 AM
Yeah, it's got to get old quick. Try to get super rich somewhere out of the public eye so you can enjoy your success, rather than always being on the search for privacy. Obviously I'm not saying there aren't perks to being a pro athlete/celeb., but I don't really like being bothered when I don't feel like, and I'm a nobody.

Cyclone792
03-10-2006, 01:31 AM

I can believe it. I've seen many autograph seekers push, elbow, hip-check, you name it without regard for anybody else, even kids.

I get more out of a 45 second conversation with a player about any random topic than I do out of an autograph. Most times I talk to a player for a short bit I won't even end up with their autograph because I have nothing for them to sign.

RedsBaron
03-10-2006, 07:05 AM
Pete Rose was a jerk to my buddy at a Royals game back in the late 60's, broke his little 7 year old heart and made him a Johnny Bench fan.

I've made my share of posts here that were critical of Rose, but I've got to say I never observed him mistreating fans. Back in the late 1960s and early 70s I received his autograph several times at Reds games. I have never seen a Reds player who signed autographs more than Pete did then.
My fondest memory of Pete Rose is a game I attended back in 1966. We had great seats near the Reds dugout along the thirdbase line. We got to the game very early and few fans were near where we were. Pete, facing the stands, was hitting fungos to one of the batboys. He semmed to look uo in the stands in the direction of me, a kid staring at him while holding a baseball glove. The next ball Pete hit was a soft linedrive into the stands near me. Unfortunately, someone else beat me to the ball, but I will always believe that Rose intentionally hit that ball in my direction.

RANDY IN INDY
03-10-2006, 08:10 AM
Was in the lobby of the Hyatt, in Cincinnati in the late 80's with a couple of friends and former Pirate/Giant pitcher Don Robinson (also a friend) and his parents after a Reds/Giants game. We were just talking and relaxing when I noticed there was a little boy with his parents with some baseball cards, waiting for his hero, Will Clark, to come through the lobby. He had waited for probably an hour, and it was probably getting close to his bedtime, around 11:00pm, when Clark, clad in jeans, a plaid shirt, cowboy boots and hat, and a belt buckle the size of Texas, comes strutting through the near empty lobby. The kid gets terribly excited and runs up to Clark, saying, "Mr. Clark, would you sign my baseball cards?"

Clark doesn't break stride, and replies, "No. You didn't say please."

The kid was heartbroken, and his parents were not happy at all. One of my friends looked at Donnie and said, "What's up with that?"

He shook his head in disgust, and said, "That's just Will, being Will."

He didn't need to say anymore. I always liked Clark as a player, but after that little incident, I lost all respect for the guy as a person.

Robinson, by the way, went over to the kid and his parents, and gave him his autograph, asked them if they were going to be at the game the next day, and asked them to come down by the Giants dugout about an hour before the game. We were sitting right by the dugout the next day, when Robinson gave the little guy a baseball, autographed by the entire team, and a sanitary hose full of baseballs and even had Roger Craig to come by and shake the kid's hand. The kid was in heaven, and Robinson defined what it is to be a "Pro."

03-10-2006, 08:28 AM
How about Tony Perez? Back when he was coaching for the Reds, at Riverfront, my oldest son and I were standing in back of the Reds dugout, I think near the end of BP. Perez was walking towards the dugout, and I had a ball and a sharpie, and I held them out, and he looked at me and said "No balls.". At first I thought these were fighting words, then I realized he didn't want to sign a ball! Seriously, he wasn't rude- this thread remonded me of the "incident".

When Jerome Walton was playing for the Reds, I was watching BP from the first row behind the plate, next to that netted thing there, on the third base side. Walton walked through there (you could get players to sign there sometimes) and I was just gazing in there, daydreaming or something, and he looked at me and said "No autographs". i said "Cool- didn't want one."

I guess he wasn't exactly rude, but kind of arrogant perhaps?

I know a guy who was watching a game in KC and tried to get Clemens (don't know if he was Yankee, Blue Jay' or a Red Sox at the time) and he just said a 4 letter word followed by the word "you".

RFS62
03-10-2006, 08:35 AM
I was standing in line at a golf course to pay my greens fees, and I noticed the guy two people in front of me looked very familiar. Then I realized it was Sandy Koufax. I couldn't believe it, nobody else knew who it was.

I paid my fees, and went outside, and there he was loading his clubs on his cart. I went up to him and said "I just wanted to tell you I think you're the greatest lefthander of all time. I saw you pitch in Crosley Field, and it was a highlight of my life as a baseball fan". He was very gracious, said thank you and how much he appreciated the comment, and we went our separate ways.

My son was getting our clubs loaded on the cart, and missed the whole thing. He was really sad he missed him, as I had told him many times about Koufax and we played a lot of Strat O Matic with the cards I had as a kid in the '60's and Koufax was untouchable.

So, after we finished our round, we went down to the driving range to work on a few things, and there was Sandy, all by himself, hitting balls. I went up to Sandy, said hello again, and asked him "would it be an inconvienence to ask you for an autograph?"

He said "of course not, I'll be glad to".

I had the incredible good luck to have a baseball in the car, but couldn't find a pen. Then Koufax spent at least two minutes looking through his car to finally find a pen to sign the ball. I couldn't believe how gracious he was. Nobody else around, and he stopped hitting balls to look through his car for a pen to sign a ball.

I asked him how his elbow was doing, and he said it's alright and doesn't bother him much. He was a dedicated golfer, and we talked a little about the course we had just played.

We were grinning for about a week after that encounter.

Chip R
03-10-2006, 09:55 AM

C'mon, tell us who it was. Babe Ruth or Red Grange? :D

westofyou
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I have never seen a Reds player who signed autographs more than Pete did then.Better have your own pen (even if he's holding one) I guess.

I don't blame most for their reactions, but I'd suggest they save them for the over 19 crowd.

Cyclone792
03-10-2006, 10:11 AM
Wow, phenomenal story, RFS.

It makes you wonder how often a guy like Koufax is recognized in public nowadays. When he retired, he disappeared from sight and rarely ever makes public appearances anymore. It wouldn't surprise me if he just blends in with everybody else on most days, rarely being recognized for who he is.

When you think about it, all that sort of makes it much more incredible what he did for you that day.

Yachtzee
03-10-2006, 10:28 AM
I haven't personally had any experiences with celebrities or athletes. As much as my dad used to take us to games, he never encouraged us to try for autographs. His philosophy was that it was best to treat them like we would anyone else, don't hassle them. I feel the same way, somewhat. If I were to meet a celebrity, I'd probably prefer to just hang out and talk over a few beers rather than go up to them out of the blue and ask for an autograph. I just feel like I'm imposing on them.

Of course on the other hand, I know people who have autographed balls, bats, gloves, etc. that I think it would be cool to have, but since I don't seek autographs, I don't have any. And I feel it doesn't really have the same signficance if you just buy at some card shop.

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 10:44 AM
I honestly don't hold it against anyone who doesn't want to sign autographs. As someone said, I'm sure they get hassled to death and it gets old, especially when they just want to relax.

However, that is certainly no excuse to treat people badly, especially fans and even more especially, young fans. For one thing, they are their bread and butter; without them, they wouldn't be earning their millions. And the young ones are their future bread and butter (or perhaps their son's).

A whole lot of these players have young children. I wonder how they'd feel if someone spoke to them that way? I can't believe it doesn't even cross their minds. I, as a parent, wouldn't let it slide; I'd have confronted the egomaniac that had the audacity to speak to my child that way, especially when I don't do it myself.

Not only that, but instead of the good memories they should carry with them through life about their idols, they'll remember the horror story longer as it leaves an imprint... a negative one.

But then, I guess they just don't care. If they did, they wouldn't be that way. You'd think adults would know better; more importantly, you'd think they'd be embarassed or show a bit of remorse.

Randy, I wish your friend(s) would have called Clark on how he treated that young boy instead of just resigning themselves to the fact that that's "just how he is". Sometimes, knowing your peers think your being a jerk will go a long way.

Damn! This kind of stuff makes me angry!

Blimpie
03-10-2006, 12:29 PM
While I was attending a celebrity golf tourney about five years ago, I tried to get a ball signed by Carlton Fisk. Prior to then, I never overtly despised Fisk--I just thought it would look good on the wall next to my Johnny Bench signed ball. You know, the whole WS catcher thing?

Anyhow, I was over 36" tall, so I guess that Carlton thought I HAD to be pursuing him for the sole purpose of flipping the signature on eBay. I politely asked him to sign as he was coming off the practice green. He signed for a small kid, then tore away in his golf cart without even responding to me.

Next, I saw him up by the pro shop and decided that I would give him another chance to redeem himself. This time, his caddy was driving the cart, and Fisk barked at him to 'run me over if I didn't get outa the way'...My friends and I were starting to get a kick out of it, so I decided that I would then make Fisk my own personal "White Whale" (Seinfeld fans know).

I chased that miserable SOB around Kearney Hills links for two straight days. I thought I had him when he entered the designated autograph tent (where he was scheduled to appear for 1 hour after his round each day). I finallly got in front of him at the table, and again politely asked Fisk if he would sign for me. Without responding at all, he AGAIN stood up and left the tent.

Rollie Fingers was seated next to him at the table and asked him if he felt okay. His response was "Do you have any idea what they GET for selling these things?" Fingers said, "What do you care?" as he was signing my ball.

Long story short, I DID get Fisk to sign for me the next day....On an index card only. He claimed that a ball was "memorabilia" and he was not allowed to sign it. I guess he meant only for kids.

Falls City Beer
03-10-2006, 12:51 PM
A good buddy of mine's father knew Sandy quite well. And he said Sandy was the only person he's ever known who didn't let fame change him. And he would know a bit about fame: he's a TV producer.

I met Tom Browning once. Unbelievably cordial and decent guy.

Oh, and I met Richard Simmons once, too. I was really skinny at the time; he grabbed my arm and said: "Ah, you don't need to lose weight, you need a DOUBLE PORTION!!!"

I crap you negative.

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 01:10 PM
Reitsma was married in 1997.

RedsBaron
03-10-2006, 01:15 PM
I really envy RFS having met Koufax, one of my all time favorite athletes.
Randy's story about Will Clark doesn't surprise me that much-Clark always appeared to be a jerk. By the way, while I never met Don Robinson, my Wayne Pioneers did defeat him my senior year (He was just a sophomore at Cedero-Kenova-I doubt we would have been successful had he been a couple of years older). I do regret that I didn't get to bat against him, even though I would have probably struck out.
There is the issue of whether or not to "bother" an athlete or celebrity when you see them off of the playing field. A few years ago we were Christmas shopping at Toys 'R Us when I noticed then Marshall football coach Bobby Pruett there shopping. At first I wanted to go over to him and say something about what a great job he was doing, etc. I finally decided not to do anything. I told myself that he was out shopping for his grandkids and he probably had no wish to be disturbed by someone mouthing well meaning cliches.

Larkin411
03-10-2006, 01:43 PM
My buddy, under his breath mumbled, "A-Rod would sign."

I think if I were professional ballplayer, a highly unlikely scenario, that would have just made me laugh. Maybe have a t-shirt made that said, "Do I look like A-Rod to you? No autographs!"

max venable
03-10-2006, 02:44 PM
Was in the lobby of the Hyatt, in Cincinnati in the late 80's with a couple of friends and former Pirate/Giant pitcher Don Robinson (also a friend) and his parents after a Reds/Giants game. We were just talking and relaxing when I noticed there was a little boy with his parents with some baseball cards, waiting for his hero, Will Clark, to come through the lobby. He had waited for probably an hour, and it was probably getting close to his bedtime, around 11:00pm, when Clark, clad in jeans, a plaid shirt, cowboy boots and hat, and a belt buckle the size of Texas, comes strutting through the near empty lobby. The kid gets terribly excited and runs up to Clark, saying, "Mr. Clark, would you sign my baseball cards?"

Clark doesn't break stride, and replies, "No. You didn't say please."

The kid was heartbroken, and his parents were not happy at all. One of my friends looked at Donnie and said, "What's up with that?"

He shook his head in disgust, and said, "That's just Will, being Will."

I've been around Will Clark a few times and that is a classic example of Will being Will.

He always had a rule: "I don't sign hats, bats, or sweet spots." I've gotten his sig several times. He always personalizes. And he always looks you in the eye, makes mental notes. At ST, if you try and nab him again, even later in the day, he'll remember you and say, "I already signed for you."

The ONLY exception I've seen to his personalizing thing was this: My wife handed him a copy of the SI that featured he and Mark McGwire on the cover. He looked at her and asked (suspiciously), "Who is this for?" My wife says, "For my husband." Clark says, "At least you're honest." And proceeded to sign the SI with no personalization. It's framed and hanging in my son's bedroom right now.

max venable
03-10-2006, 02:47 PM
I think if I were professional ballplayer, a highly unlikely scenario, that would have just made me laugh. Maybe have a t-shirt made that said, "Do I look like A-Rod to you? No autographs!"
I hear ya.

My buddy didn't think he said it loud enough for Jr. to hear. And also, we had just come from the Rangers camp and A-Rod did sign. In fact, he had a rule back then: he signs every-other day. I thought it was a good and fair rule.

Griffey went off, though. My brother-in-law was with us (he worked for a Cincy radio station at the time). When he got back to Ohio, he told the story on the air. The best part is that Jr.'s agent was listening. He called and apologized for Jr. and offered to try to make up for it. Long story short...I am the proud owner of a Ken Griffey Jr. autographed jersey. :thumbup:

LoganBuck
03-10-2006, 03:31 PM
Barry Larkin was in the restroom at the Fish Market at New Port on the Levee, washing his hands. I walked in and my eyes lit up and said "Mr. Larkin you are one of my favorite players ever". He said "Don't talk to me." I said "whoa sorry, I didn't mean to offend you". He said "A--hole" and walked out. I have no idea what was eating him, but I cannot think of anything I said or did that should have been an insult. When I was a little kid, he snubbed me for an autograph at a signing as well. I had his 87 Topps Rookie Card, and handed it to him, he looked at it, set it down on the table, got up and said "I am out of time", and walked off. I was 11 years old at the time, and was very disappointed.

Suffice it to say, I am not a Barry Larkin fan anymore. I hope he never comes back to the Reds in any capacity again.

max venable
03-10-2006, 03:35 PM
Just for the record...I've had several encounters with Barry at ST and he's always been very cool. He'll always be one of my all-time favorite Reds.

Everybody has a bad day. I can't imagine how difficult it would be to deal with crazy fans everywhere you go.

Some guys can handle it, some are just jerks.

ochre
03-10-2006, 05:42 PM
Hey, hey... Mark Bavarro is so far from being a punk. He probably wouldn't even say s*** if he stepped in it.
Yeah, but they were supposed to be at that camp :) It was on the flyer.

creek14
03-10-2006, 06:56 PM
A couple times my brother in law has been a volunteer driver for the celebrity golf tournament they had (have?) in Dayton. He retired early, had the time, and did it as a favor to the guy heading up the project.

He is so not impressed with celebrity. Not the type to chat them up or anything. He said when someone would get in his car he would greet them and then keep his mouth shut unless they wanted to talk. Most of them would hop in the front seat and talk a lot.

Then there was one guy. Got in the back. B-i-l greets him. And this guys says "don't talk to me on this trip."

Yes it was a former Red. Wanna guess who?

RedsBaron
03-10-2006, 07:19 PM
Then there was one guy. Got in the back. B-i-l greets him. And this guys says "don't talk to me on this trip."

Bid McPhee?;)

creek14
03-10-2006, 07:44 PM
Bid McPhee?;)
Are you guessing who was in the car or who I dated? :p:

Cyclone792
03-10-2006, 07:52 PM

Johnny Bench.

RedsBaron
03-10-2006, 08:08 PM
Are you guessing who was in the car or who I dated? :p:
:laugh:

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 08:11 PM
Dibble.

KittyDuran
03-10-2006, 09:54 PM
No idea when he got married, this happened way back in 2001 or 2002 so it's been awhile. Either way, I think his connotations were mostly in harmless joking around, not anything serious. At least that's how I took them!
Chris was married in 2001 - his daughter was born in October of that year.

Redsland
03-10-2006, 10:15 PM
Ickey Woods was standing behind the table, and since it was near closing time and no one else was around, I asked him for an autogrpah. He said he didn't sign autographs and was really rude. I asked him again-I have no idea why- and he again refused.

That doesn't sound like the Ickey I know. Particularly since the Ickey I know doesn't sell vacuum cleaners.

He'd never played Euchre until the night I taught him how, yet somehow we didn't lose a single game all night. I have no idea how he shuffled the cards, either, because he has fingers the size of hot dogs.

max venable
03-10-2006, 10:26 PM
That doesn't sound like the Ickey I know. Particularly since the Ickey I know doesn't sell vacuum cleaners.

He'd never played Euchre until the night I taught him how, yet somehow we didn't lose a single game all night. I have no idea how he shuffled the cards, either, because he has fingers the size of hot dogs.
I heard, no lie, that Ickey was selling meat door to door after his playing days. http://www.athlonsports.com/article.php3?story_id=334

creek14
03-10-2006, 10:36 PM
Johnny Bench.
Ding ding ding. The mighty-wind-792 is the winner.

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 11:14 PM
Chris was married in 2001 - his daughter was born in October of that year.

I read that he got married when he was 19. He was born 12/31/77.

"We see Godís hand on Chrisí life, even in meeting Janelle at such a young age," Ruth commented [Ruth is his mother]. "He was only 19 when he got married. That was all in Godís plan. He knew Chris needed a good wife at a young age to help him do what heís supposed to do."

http://www.calgarychristian.com/articles/409-reitsma.htm

Redsland
03-11-2006, 12:32 AM
I heard, no lie, that Ickey was selling meat door to door after his playing days.
That was a long time ago.

Ickey is a good man trying to raise six kids.

gonelong
03-11-2006, 02:02 AM
I had a Bengal DB give me $20 to give his number to a chick he saw while he was golfing in a celebrity tournament. This was about 20 years ago and I can't even remember the guys name, though I did find out from a story in the paper that he was married.

At the same tournament I got some OL from the Jets to give me his autograph. I was pretty excited to get it. About 10 minutes later I was showing it to my cousin and it just dawned on me that I had a scribble on a scrap of paper. I tossed it and have never asked anyone for another autograph.

GL

SirFelixCat
03-11-2006, 04:36 AM
Tim Redding was the only "rude" guy I ever encoutered...just got in a huff about a pic I was trying to take. C'est la vie.

I do have a pretty Sean Casey story though...

3 years ago, I was in Cincy for my first trip to the GAB and turned into a 5yo wanting to be there when the gates opened and watch BP. It's Saturday and I'm the first one down by the 1st base fence and Casey is taking some ground balls. I holler "Mornin' Case!" and he says hi. I ask if, when he's done, if he'd sign for me. He says sure. Well, I guess he forgot as he never came by to sign.

Fastforward to the next day. It's 10-15 mins before first pitch and I have 4th row seats right behind 1B and am getting ready for the game to start, when Casey looks over in my direction and points at me and motions for me to come up to the fence. I walk up there and he says, "Hey, sorry about that yesterday. I'll still sign for you if you want". How great of a guy is that???

Note: I was 27 ;)

Edited to add: One this I try and do is get baseballs and such personalized such as "To SCRF"...kinda gives the impression that I have no interest in selling them...I just like collecting them. And one of my life's goals (yes, really) is to finally get KGJ to personalize the jersey of his that I have and frame that bad boy for my "play room".

max venable
03-11-2006, 07:40 AM
That was a long time ago.

Ickey is a good man trying to raise six kids.
I'm not knockin' the guy. I'm just sayin'.

A couple of folks were sayin' he was sellin' vacuum cleaners door-to-door. Just trying to set the record straight.

Dom Heffner
03-11-2006, 08:48 AM

Vacuum cleaners, meat- I mean, what's the difference? If you knew he was selling meat door to door, I'm not so sure how the vacuum cleaner story is so far off.

He's probably a great guy now, but this was in his heyday, and there was absolutely no one around. There wasn't a line- this was at 8:58 at the old Kenwood Mal;l, which was a ghost town anyway. He could have signed for me. Especially since he technically gave his autograph and phone number to some girl he was hitting on five minutes later (was he married at the time?).

He told me he didn't sign autographs and then he writes his name and number down for some girl just moments later- it made me feel pretty bad.

It's funny how these things affect you- a few years ago I bought a Bengals throwback jersey and I was having it personalized and had to decide which player's name I wanted on it. I whittled it down to Esiason, Brooks, and Woods, and then I remembered that story and crossed him off the list.

He may be a great card player now and a good father but that night he wasn't very nice. I guess he doesn't have to be, but it takes the same amount of energy to turn me down as it does to sign a piece of paper.

I'm not trying to brand the guy- the name of the thread is "encounters with" not "give a whole judgment on someone's life." :)

OnBaseMachine
03-11-2006, 09:03 AM
I've never had any rude encounters... but I have met a lot of nice athletes. Eddie Taubensee is probably the nicest guy you will ever meet(right up there with Casey). He would sign for anyone and would not stop until everyone got his autograph. I've also had the priveledge of talking to and getting autographs from Kearns, Dunn, Ryan Wagner, Sean Casey, Aaron and Brett Boone, Pokey Reese, Pete Harnisch, Michael Tucker, Jason LaRue, Scott Williamson, and D'Angelo Jimenez.

Dom Heffner
03-11-2006, 09:11 AM
He would sign for anyone and would not stop until everyone got his autograph.

You know who else is like that? Johnny Depp. A friend of mine who I met through the autograph hobby used to chase down celebrities for a living- made quite a living off of it, too- and he told me that Depp would sign for you if you had a stack of 30 pictures of him with price tags on them ready to sell.

I have some pretty cool stories I have been wanting to share here but haven't had the time. My friend used to have the label "paparaazi with a pen" because of his antics. He gave a bad name to autograph seekers, probably, but it made for some great stories, that's for sure. There's a Tom Cruise one that is pretty funny but it will have to wait because I am headed to the Sox-Pirates game in Bradenton today.

ochre
03-11-2006, 10:55 AM
Dibble.
I played in an "alumni against the Reds" game at my high school in the early-mid 90s. Dibble knocked my brother across the lane (charging was called I believe). Joe Oliver consistently drained 25-30 footers. Byron Larkin evidently once played for the Reds, as he suited up for them.

ochre
03-11-2006, 11:03 AM
I've never had any rude encounters... but I have met a lot of nice athletes. Eddie Taubensee is probably the nicest guy you will ever meet(right up there with Casey). He would sign for anyone and would not stop until everyone got his autograph.
What's funny is that's how Albert Belle was when I went to that Indians game in the mid 90s. Maybe it's something emphasized in the Indians organization? My brother had a bp ball Hargrove (the guy we were with played baseball at the same college as Hargrove a couple of years before Hargrove was there) had given him before the game that he wanted signed Belle was even a bit stunned when I didn't want an autograph. Carlos Baerga (he was good at the time) was pretty much just as diligent, but not quite so much as Belle.

WMR
03-11-2006, 02:56 PM
I met George Lopez when he was getting out of a Limo in DC. I was like, 'Hey, you're George Lopez!'

We talked for a couple minutes and he was incredibly cordial. We took a picture together and he told me, and I'll never forget this, LOL, "You can tell your friends you met a somewhat-famous celebrity."

Great guy.

jmcclain19
03-13-2006, 03:36 AM
I've only had one bad one, and it involves two well known NBA players - but it happened long before their NBA careers.

Lets just say that I lived on an extremely interesting block in college. Luke Walton & Richard Jefferson lived a couple of houses down while Ben Diggins (Current Brewers farmhand) & Rick Anderson (former starter for the basketball team). And former UA coach Dick Tomey lived around the corner, and his wife used to wave at me every evening as I walked my dog - she was usually out tending to her garden on the side of house.

Diggins and Anderson were great down to earth guys Anderson and I used to go golfing quite a bit and Diggins dated a friend I knew from high school who currently works for the PR dept of the Arizona Diamondbacks. He's had horrible injury problems but I hope some day he gets a shot as a reliever.

However, Walton and Jefferson and the epitimy of SOBs. Our corner had a rep as a party corner, as our house, and the Diggins/Anderson house had quite a few over the years. But Walton and Jefferson kept finding ways to just show how amazingly huge pricks they are and how celebrity allows them to just keep being that way. We have several run-ins over the years.
During parties both would go out back, and despite us telling him not to repeatedly, smoke pot with some of their friends in the back yard. In fact I know of several times they would brazenly smoke out in front of their house and when UAPD would happen by, they would just tell them to go in the back and let it go. It was a running joke for a long time - unless it was the Feds or Tucson PD those guys had no chance of ever getting busted by the campus police - not as starters on the basketball team.
Walton on one occasion dumped a beer on some guy I didn't know's head and started a brawl in my living room.
On another occasion, the two of them brought 10 or so people with them and informed my roommate that they were not paying to get in our house party (we were charging $5 a head) and after a little back and forth he let them in.

The final straw, for me, was when a bunch of us (11-12 or so) were at their house, and Jefferson was dancing with a female I knew, and told her, point blank, that he expected her to go back and perform an "act" on him in the other room. When she told him where to go with that request, he flipped out and booted all of us out of the house immediately and told us not to come back.

That's just the two of them. I was riding my bike home from class one day and went by their house just as Mike Bibby almost ran me over. I made a comment to him about it as he got out of his car and he got right in my face and acted like he wanted to throw down right there. I was thinking...uh...you are the one who just ran me off the road dude.

Otherwise, I've had nothing but good run-ins. I've ran into Pete Rose twice in Vegas(Once at a cafe in Paris Las Vegas and another at the sports book at the Mirage), and both times he was cordial and talked to me for a few minutes. Both times I had my black Reds visor on and he was nothing but cool.

Aaron Boone used to work out at the same Physical Therapist I went to last year. I talked to him a couple of times when we were both there working out but just about golf.

I made a point last year of seeking out Dustin Moseley after Pitchers and catchers reported and he seemed geninuely happy about being on a new team.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
I made a point last year of seeking out Dustin Moseley after Pitchers and catchers reported and he seemed geninuely happy about being on a new team.

He was probably just as frustrated by DOB/Allen, et al as the rest of us.

max venable
03-13-2006, 11:56 AM
I had a friend fly first class a few years ago and he ended up sitting right behind Mike Tyson (I know...Iron Mike is the poster boy for rude celebrities). Anyway, my friend told me that Mike asked for crackers at the beginning of the flight. And then like 30 seconds later--when the crackers didn't come right away, Mike starts going nuts about the crackers. He's saying,"Where's my cwackahs? What's it take to get a guy some cwackahs?" And apparently, dude just wouldn't let it go. Even after he got his crackers, he kept complaining about it. "What's up with the cwackahs? This is loodicrith." :laugh: Made a complete fool of himself for the entire flight.

The lady sitting next to my friend put her hands over her ears and mouthed to my friend: "He's angry--watch your ears."

MrsHammer
03-13-2006, 02:59 PM
Back in the early 90's, my Mom and I were staying at the Hyatt in Cincy and after a Reds/Giants game, we were in the Champs sports bar there and I happened to see Will Clark sitting at the bar. I cautiously went up to him and just asked nicely if he would mind signing a notepad I had in my purse. He signed it and I don't recall specifically what he may have said to me, but I don't remember any rudeness.

More recently, a couple of years ago, my husband and I stayed in the same hotel as the Reds players in Pittsburgh and we got several autographs and everyone was cordial.

Oh yeah, KittyDuran, this one is for you....In 1987, I had the thrill of my then 17 years by getting to go backstage at a Duran Duran concert at Six Flags in Atlanta. I was able to meet and get autographs from John (my fave), Simon and Nick. They were all gracious, though maybe a bit less chatty than I would have liked (I'm sure they got rather tired of 17 yr old girls drooling over them though...lol)

Yachtzee
03-13-2006, 04:47 PM
I had a friend fly first class a few years ago and he ended up sitting right behind Mike Tyson (I know...Iron Mike is the poster boy for rude celebrities). Anyway, my friend told me that Mike asked for crackers at the beginning of the flight. And then like 30 seconds later--when the crackers didn't come right away, Mike starts going nuts about the crackers. He's saying,"Where's my cwackahs? What's it take to get a guy some cwackahs?" And apparently, dude just wouldn't let it go. Even after he got his crackers, he kept complaining about it. "What's up with the cwackahs? This is loodicrith." :laugh: Made a complete fool of himself for the entire flight.

The lady sitting next to my friend put her hands over her ears and mouthed to my friend: "He's angry--watch your ears."

My favorite Tysonisms

"That is ludacrisp"
"Guess I'll just fade into Bolivian"

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 07:46 PM
That Tyson story is priceless.

BuckU
03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
I have had two pleasant encounters with athletes. After Robert Smith retired from the Vikings he would come into a sporting goods store I worked (in Columbus) at part time for workout equipment. He would stand and talk to us sales guys for a few minutes. Nice guy, although most people don't have many nice things to say about him.

Then on New Years Day of 2005 Jody Shelley and his wife sat next to my wife and I at an AMC theatre (Meet The Fockers). I was completely out of it and my wife noticed him. I politely introduced myself and he was more than nice. The four of us chatted until the previews started.

I noticed if you don't talk about sports with athletes and treat them like you would an old acquaintance you shouldn't have a problem. It's the people that are star struck or act like complete psychos that make them uncomfortable.

Blimpie
03-14-2006, 10:44 AM
My favorite Tysonisms

"That is ludacrisp"
"Guess I'll just fade into Bolivian"Don't forget the classic: "I really got take my hand off to him" (when complimenting another fighter who had just taken him to the woodshed)

max venable
03-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Don't forget the classic: "I really got take my hand off to him" (when complimenting another fighter who had just taken him to the woodshed)
That's great. Hadn't heard of it before...but classic. :laugh:

RFS62
03-15-2006, 11:41 PM
For all his ignorance, Tyson had one truly great quote, although I'm not sure he actually came up with it himself.

"Everybody has a plan until he gets hit"

Classic.

pedro
03-15-2006, 11:49 PM
For all his ignorance, Tyson had one truly great quote, although I'm not sure he actually came up with it himself.

"Everybody has a plan until he gets hit"

Classic.

I liked it when he said "I'd just like to take my hand of to Lennox for getting me this fight, I really needed it" and "He's just a constimate professional"