Chip R
05-08-2009, 11:08 AM
Andy can dance.

RichRed
05-08-2009, 12:43 PM
Andy: So it's like a disco cafe.

Michael: Yes, exactly.

Kevin: A cafe disco?

Michael: No Kevin, that's not even close.

WILD THING
05-08-2009, 12:45 PM
Last week's intro with Kevin dropping the chili was priceless.

Razor Shines
05-09-2009, 04:02 AM
Did everyone catch the preview for the movie The Hangerover that stars Andy (Ed Helms)? The one where he plays the piano and sings throughout the trailer. I couldn't find the trailer that aired during The Office, but here are two other trailers for the movie. It's directed by Todd Phillips, it's good to see him back. This movie looks really funny.

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzmkDDmoODA

http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-JO_zk5O36A&NR=1

traderumor
05-13-2009, 10:29 AM
Was watching a TBS rerun last night and I do not remember this scene. Dwight was rubbing peanut butter on Michael's head. What was that all about?

A great "that's what she said" was in this episode, when he put his face in cement and they told him to bury it deeper :)

HBP
05-13-2009, 11:54 AM
Was watching a TBS rerun last night and I do not remember this scene. Dwight was rubbing peanut butter on Michael's head. What was that all about?

A great "that's what she said" was in this episode, when he put his face in cement and they told him to bury it deeper :)

He had gum in his hair.

Dwight: Wow, this pb has a lot of calories.
Michael: Don't leave it in too long then.
:laugh:

traderumor
05-14-2009, 09:34 PM
Season Finale :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown
That was the worst episode ever. I can't recall one really funny moment, and this show usually has me laughing non-stop.

AccordinglyReds
05-14-2009, 11:55 PM
Really? I enjoyed it. Little things like Toby and the other HR guy, and Dwight and his friend had me laughing so hard.

LvJ
05-15-2009, 12:24 AM
Season Finale :thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown:thumbdown
That was the worst episode ever. I can't recall one really funny moment, and this show usually has me laughing non-stop. I agree with the thumbsdown. I didn't laugh at all. Maybe a few smiles.

redsmetz
05-15-2009, 05:39 AM
Really? I enjoyed it. Little things like Toby and the other HR guy, and Dwight and his friend had me laughing so hard.

I agree it wasn't the worst, but it wasn't a strong episode. The bits with Michael and whats-her-name from Nashua were very weak. The bit with Jim and Pam at the end was well done. But Pam as a good volleyball player was just not believable because she wasn't really playing that well. The opening was fairly funny with Michael falling asleep and Jim changing the clocks to almost 5 PM.

CrackerJack
05-15-2009, 10:58 AM
I agree with the thumbsdown. I didn't laugh at all. Maybe a few smiles.

Yeah it was pretty lame, maybe a chuckle here and there. It's become too much of a soap opera. I assume Pam's baby is Jim's. :rolleyes:

Also Holly was much better in the initial episode where she was naive and somewhat shy and observant and vulnerable, and her fondness of Michael was based on her just seeing the good in him, someone she didn't know, therefore wasn't judgemental etc..., The whole direction of her character becoming a female Michael is just dumb.

Blimpie
05-15-2009, 03:53 PM
I agree it wasn't the worst, but it wasn't a strong episode. The bits with Michael and whats-her-name from Nashua were very weak. The bit with Jim and Pam at the end was well done. But Pam as a good volleyball player was just not believable because she wasn't really playing that well. The opening was fairly funny with Michael falling asleep and Jim changing the clocks to almost 5 PM.Best part of the episode IMO....

redsfanmia
05-15-2009, 05:13 PM
I love this show but its become apparent to me that its has jumped or is jumping the shark.

The Baumer
05-15-2009, 07:53 PM
There are still good episodes, they are just fewer and far between the masses-pleasing dumb ones.

WMR
05-15-2009, 08:44 PM
Maybe it'll be Stanley's baby. :rolleyes:

VR
05-15-2009, 11:25 PM
I love this show but its become apparent to me that its has jumped or is jumping the shark.

it may have jumped the jumping of said shark. My wife and I didn't crack a smile after the opening bit. The Michael/Holly scenes are really really painful.

AccordinglyReds
09-17-2009, 06:19 PM
Bump!

Season 6 starts tonight! :)

That and Parks and Recreation. :) 30 Rock back on in mid-October.

dougdirt
09-17-2009, 06:29 PM
Office party at my house tonight. Can't wait.

MWM
09-17-2009, 10:52 PM
AWESOME episode tonight. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come for this season after they lost their way a bit last season. Less Michael uncomfortable moments, less kissy and smoochy from Jim and Pam, and more office humor.

Creed is freaking hilarious. Two lines tonight, but the two best of the night. I had to pause the TV I was laughing so hard at the Scuba comment. Then the background "who's your OBGYN" comment was almost not noticeable, but it also had me rolling. That guy is phenomenal.

AccordinglyReds
09-17-2009, 10:55 PM
I loved the Toby moment....out of nowhere

"I have a daughter...how could I be a virgin?"

LOL

dougdirt
09-17-2009, 11:17 PM
I loved the Toby moment....out of nowhere

"I have a daughter...how could I be a virgin?"

LOL

I liked Andy being unsure if he was gay or not because someone else couldn't tell him.

Tom Servo
09-17-2009, 11:57 PM
Good season opener. I was a little afraid going in as apparently Greg Daniels is focusing all of his attention on Parks and Recreations these days and usually when the driving force behind a great show leaves it can change radically, but so far so good. That said The Office probably won't ever reach it's Season 3 peak again, but it's still pretty awesome.

KronoRed
09-18-2009, 02:26 AM
Good season opener. I was a little afraid going in as apparently Greg Daniels is focusing all of his attention on Parks and Recreations these days and usually when the driving force behind a great show leaves it can change radically, but so far so good. That said The Office probably won't ever reach it's Season 3 peak again, but it's still pretty awesome.

Hey maybe Daniels was the problem ;) Parks and Recreation is a horrible show.

reds1869
09-18-2009, 07:18 AM
Last night made me believe the show is back on track. I agree that Creed had the best moments of the show...there is just something about his delivery that cracks me up every time.

bucksfan2
09-18-2009, 08:53 AM
Very good episode.

Favorite parts were when Andy, Dwight, and Michael were doing that game where they jump and climb over stuff. When they were on top of the building saying where they were going to jump and then a back flip into the trash can, you knew something bad was going to happen.

I also loved it when Michael said that he started all the rumors. Andy had a huge sigh of relief, until Michael said one was true. I loved seeing the doubt enter back into Andy again.

RichRed
09-18-2009, 09:25 AM
AWESOME episode tonight. Hopefully it's a sign of things to come for this season after they lost their way a bit last season. Less Michael uncomfortable moments, less kissy and smoochy from Jim and Pam, and more office humor.

Creed is freaking hilarious. Two lines tonight, but the two best of the night. I had to pause the TV I was laughing so hard at the Scuba comment. Then the background "who's your OBGYN" comment was almost not noticeable, but it also had me rolling. That guy is phenomenal.

"If I can't scuba, then what's it all been about?"

I was still laughing at that line an hour later.

Chip R
09-18-2009, 09:29 AM
"If I can't scuba, then what's it all been about?"

:lol:

Strikes Out Looking
09-18-2009, 11:50 AM
What in the world was Kate spraying in her armpits when they opened the door to the women's room? I don't think it was deodarant.

And what other show was the white male intern from?

I loved when Michael called Stanley's wife--you knew he was going to screw up, but it was great.

Chip R
09-18-2009, 01:21 PM

I think he was one of the twins from Desperate Housewives.

Strikes Out Looking
09-18-2009, 01:43 PM
I think he was one of the twins from Desperate Housewives.

Thanks Chip, I think you're right (not that I wathc Desperate Housewives;))

Chip R
09-18-2009, 03:45 PM
Thanks Chip, I think you're right (not that I wathc Desperate Housewives;))

Me either. I just read it on a message board.

yab1112
09-21-2009, 03:44 PM
They went back to the original formula, staying in the actual office the whole episode, including everyone (if only for a line or two), and centering it around Micheal doing something stupid.

I don't think they'll ever achieve the brilliant awkwardness of the earlier seasons but I liked it nonetheless :thumbup::thumbup:

yab1112
09-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Is it just me or does he look like Matt Damon?

RichRed
09-21-2009, 04:58 PM
Is it just me or does he look like Matt Damon?

Exactly what I said to my wife: "Is that guy Matt Damon's younger brother?"

VR
09-21-2009, 10:28 PM
What in the world was Kate spraying in her armpits when they opened the door to the women's room? I don't think it was deodarant.

I loved when Michael called Stanley's wife--you knew he was going to screw up, but it was great.

I believe it was shaving cream

The Operator
09-22-2009, 11:25 AM
A few of my favorite quotes, from when the rumors were going out of control:

Toby: "I have a daughter. How could I be a virgin?!"

Kevin: "Who spread the rumor that there's another person inside of me, working me with controls?!?"

guttle11
09-22-2009, 11:56 PM
I believe it was shaving cream

Looked like Febreeze to me.

traderumor
09-23-2009, 12:56 PM
TBS had 3 hours of The Office on last night from 8-11. Couple that with the Reds lead increasing in seemingly each commercial, in Kevin voice "It was awesome." :)

traderumor
09-25-2009, 09:33 AM
2nd episode--blah. A funny few moments, esp. the closing with Dwight screaming. But overall, a so-so episode. Definately bottom rung in rankings of all episodes.

freestyle55
09-25-2009, 11:10 AM
The opening was great with Michael asking Oscar for advice on how to make his "small procedure" a better experience...the look on Oscar's face when he realized what Michael was asking was priceless!

RichRed
09-25-2009, 12:21 PM
2nd episode--blah. A funny few moments, esp. the closing with Dwight screaming. But overall, a so-so episode. Definately bottom rung in rankings of all episodes.

It was certainly a bit of a letdown after the season opener.

MWM
09-25-2009, 04:14 PM
I liked last night, but it was not one of the great ones. It was somewhere in the middle, IMO. Definitely an improvement over most of last season, though.

yab1112
09-29-2009, 11:04 AM
I liked the episode but I'm not a fan of the storyline for this season. I don't know why but the whole co-manager thing strikes me as distinctly unfunny. On the other hand, there's potential for the Jim/Dwight interaction to be epic.

Chip R
09-29-2009, 11:25 AM
I liked the episode but I'm not a fan of the storyline for this season. I don't know why but the whole co-manager thing strikes me as distinctly unfunny. On the other hand, there's potential for the Jim/Dwight interaction to be epic.

I don't know. I can see them mining a lot of comedy gold from this storyline. One of the previews showed Michael and Jim sharing Michael's office. Just that alone has potential for a lot of fun.

yab1112
09-29-2009, 11:42 AM
That sounds good. I hope your right!

btw for anyone who doesn't know - nbc.com has 2-4 deleted scenes for every episode. pretty pretty pretty awesome

kaldaniels
10-02-2009, 12:25 AM
Huge fan of the show but tonight was about unwatchable...I usually watch each episode about 3 times just to pick up the nuance...but have no desire for tonights show

dougdirt
10-02-2009, 12:32 AM
Huge fan of the show but tonight was about unwatchable...I usually watch each episode about 3 times just to pick up the nuance...but have no desire for tonights show

I think after the wedding things will get better. I do like how they have set up the Michael/Jim relationship though. I think that can get very interesting.

Tom Servo
10-02-2009, 01:24 AM
I didn't see what was so bad about this episode in particular. I thought it was fine.

MWM
10-02-2009, 08:38 AM
OK episode. Nothing special, but not horrible. It did have it's Creed moment with, "Why haven't we ever" ..... "we have." :evil:

WMR
10-02-2009, 09:45 AM
Unfunny episode. The only mildly amusing line belonged to Creed.

The co-manager thing is lame so far. Dwight's speech was cringe-worthy.

redsmetz
10-02-2009, 12:49 PM
I think last night's episode was in between. Some funny stuff, some cringe worthy. It was clearly in a place where you had to suspend belief, something that happens occasionally (and with some more frequency these days) when the show teeters on not reflecting at all what a real business would be like. E.g. Has anyone done any actual work since this season began? Well, right, almost no one ever does. I like the show, but the reality is that anyone of Michael's incompetence would never have a business running profitably and be among the best of their branches. You get the point, so once you suspend belief to get through the story line. That may well wear out quickly, much as MASH did late in its run when most episodes were pretty contrived.

Tony Cloninger
10-02-2009, 12:54 PM
When Jim was getting yelled at for his plan....I can say that anyplace that i worked at...that person would have been told to go home for the day and think about if they still want the job...as is.

I thought the premise was good....the execution was not.

Hoosier Red
10-02-2009, 01:56 PM
I think last night's episode was in between. Some funny stuff, some cringe worthy. It was clearly in a place where you had to suspend belief, something that happens occasionally (and with some more frequency these days) when the show teeters on not reflecting at all what a real business would be like. E.g. Has anyone done any actual work since this season began? Well, right, almost no one ever does. I like the show, but the reality is that anyone of Michael's incompetence would never have a business running profitably and be among the best of their branches. You get the point, so once you suspend belief to get through the story line. That may well wear out quickly, much as MASH did late in its run when most episodes were pretty contrived.

It's actually funny. I read a review of the four versions of the the office(British, German, American, and French I think) and they said the American one is the only version where people even act like they're working. In the three other versions, it's an office, but nobody does anything at all office like.

Tom Servo
10-02-2009, 05:36 PM
As far as The Office being lighter on laughs these days, I can't disagree. I know it's a comedy and all but at this point (Six seasons in) I care about the character so much I don't mind if I'm not laughing every other minute.

I'm telling everyone though, give Parks and Recreations a chance (or another chance if you didn't like the first season). It's been on fire this season.

Chip R
10-02-2009, 05:37 PM
Has anyone watched "Community?" I saw the forst two episodes and wasn't impressed.

RBA
10-02-2009, 05:56 PM
Has anyone watched "Community?" I saw the forst two episodes and wasn't impressed.

I think it has potential.

Chip R
10-02-2009, 06:11 PM
I think it has potential.

It seems it would be funnier if he were trying to con these students and they weren't aware of it but they seem to already be aware he's a scam artist. We'll see. It's rare that I watch a new show from the beginning. I didn't start watching The Office until a year or so ago.

RBA
10-02-2009, 06:25 PM
It seems it would be funnier if he were trying to con these students and they weren't aware of it but they seem to already be aware he's a scam artist. We'll see. It's rare that I watch a new show from the beginning. I didn't start watching The Office until a year or so ago.

It needs some more character development that's for sure. The storyline about Abed was a little sad.

Chip R
10-02-2009, 06:41 PM
Just an FYI, they are showing the original British series on Adult Swim on Cartoon Network Fridays/Saturdays at midnight. I watched it last week and it was pretty funny.

RichRed
10-03-2009, 01:29 PM

I actually think it's pretty funny, especially considering the fact they're probably still working out some kinks. Chevy Chase is making me laugh for the first time in what seems like decades.

Joseph
10-08-2009, 10:04 PM
Not at all a bad little episode.

Chip R
10-08-2009, 10:32 PM
Loved Dwight's shirt. For those of you who don't remember, look at this thread for a link for reviews for his shirt.

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=76159

MWM
10-09-2009, 12:02 AM
The puking in the beginning was hilarious. I could have lived without the rest. AM I the only one that finds the Michael Scott uncomfortable speeches like not funny at all. The whole standing up and talking about "different sensations" was just weird for me. I never find that stuff funny.

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2009, 12:23 AM
Seems more and more forced this year to me. Getting to be over the top on a non subtle way.

Hoosier Red
10-09-2009, 12:39 AM
The puking in the beginning was hilarious. I could have lived without the rest. AM I the only one that finds the Michael Scott uncomfortable speeches like not funny at all. The whole standing up and talking about "different sensations" was just weird for me. I never find that stuff funny.

I generally feel like I have to leave the room as soon as Michael starts talking. Literally he makes me that uncomfortable which I suppose is part of the point.

MWM
10-09-2009, 12:47 AM
I generally feel like I have to leave the room as soon as Michael starts talking. Literally he makes me that uncomfortable which I suppose is part of the point.

Ha! I do the same. I always watch it on the DVR and I can't tell you how many times I wind up fast forwarding his uncomfortable moments. There's funny uncomfortable and then too awkward uncomfortable.

KronoRed
10-09-2009, 12:48 AM
The show would be better off now without Micheal, but sadly network tv doesn't work that way.

The Baumer
10-09-2009, 02:00 AM
Don't want to sound like that guy but season 2 was IMO the peak of the show. Episodes 2 through about 10 of the second season were absolutely brilliant and exciting to watch each week. We were still discovering all the characters, the Jim and Pam and Roy stuff was fresh and seemed urgent, Dwight was at his peak and perfect balance of creepy but still believable. Stanley and Creed would always have one hilarious moment or line. Michael's hatred for Toby was another hilarious thing to look forward to each show. Somewhere in season 3 though they started to "broaden" all the characters a bit, and soon every single character got their own episode/story, their own love triangle, and overall everyone's behavior just became insane. The funny used to be these office workers were trapped in an office with Michael the buffoon, but to be honest, he isn't even the weirdest or most annoying character on the show anymore. Still, even a deteriorating Office was good (and of course Creed has been consistently amazing even in spite of the show's decline) but last season's office retreat episode was the first time the show became unwatchable to me. It seemed like an entirely different writing staff wrote the show and characters were acting wildly out of character to a confusing degree. I haven't seen this season but the rest of last season was ok but usually forgettable. Ed Helms has been the bright spot of the past few waning seasons.

Playadlc
10-09-2009, 02:07 AM
Best Office show ever.

They could 100% not have ever handled that wedding better in a million, trillion tries.

I was blown away. The wedding was absolutely perfect. Jim had tears in his eyes as the people from the office danced up the aisle, and Jim/Pam got to do it their own way and allow everyone to have their fun.

Couldn't have been better. Plus the Andy overload was fantastic.

This show still has something left in the tank.

Donder
10-09-2009, 07:19 AM
Best Office show ever.

They could 100% not have ever handled that wedding better in a million, trillion tries.

I was blown away. The wedding was absolutely perfect. Jim had tears in his eyes as the people from the office danced up the aisle, and Jim/Pam got to do it their own way and allow everyone to have their fun.

Couldn't have been better. Plus the Andy overload was fantastic.

This show still has something left in the tank.

I agree with everything you said here. Except that is was the best Office episode ever. But I thought they handled the wedding exceptionally well. My thought going in to the episode was "let's get this wedding over with so we can move on" but they did a great job with it. John (Jim) did some brilliant acting. Stanley dancing down the isle was classic. Watch his face.

My only gripe- I'm already sick of the Michael/Pam's mom story line and it hasn't even started yet.

RBA
10-09-2009, 07:34 AM
The puking in the beginning was hilarious.

Especially the part where Creed continues to eat his noodles while everyone around him is puking their guts out.

Strikes Out Looking
10-09-2009, 08:40 AM
The end with Kevin was also very funny, and actually more disgusting than the puking at the start of the show.

By the way, it appears to me that Ed Helms may be the most talented person on this cast. And it looks as if Andy and the new secretary could be going somewhere.

kaldaniels
10-09-2009, 08:51 AM
Job well done Office cast and crew.

traderumor
10-09-2009, 09:11 AM
The show would be better off now without Micheal, but sadly network tv doesn't work that way.Totally disagree. Michael is still hilarious and unpredictable.

Chip R
10-09-2009, 09:34 AM
I liked the first half hour or so. The actual wedding at the church I could have done without. All the dancing and stuff felt so contrived. The marriage on the boat was sweet. The opening was gross but kinda funny - especially with Creed still eating his noodles.

Dwight and Andy were the best parts of the show. Dwight complaining to all those kids about Jim; his 3 wolves T Shirt, finding those twins. I think he's better this season than he was last year. Last year he was borderline psychotic. I think Andy/Ed Helms is getting a push this year. All the problems that came from tearing his scrotum were hilarious. While I didn't really enjoy the dancing during the wedding, Andy dancing with his walker was a riot.

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2009, 10:49 AM
I agree with the Baumer.....some of the characters are like different people. Creed can have his own show...though.

RBA
10-09-2009, 02:33 PM
I agree with the Baumer.....some of the characters are like different people. Creed can have his own show...though.

I don't know if his character can sustain a whole show. Has even one episode ever been centered around him?

Strikes Out Looking
10-09-2009, 03:08 PM
I don't know if his character can sustain a whole show. Has even one episode ever been centered around him?

Kind of, the episode where he was worried about cutbacks and he used the office toner to dye his hair. Hilarious.

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2009, 04:57 PM
It might go the way of Kramer.....but it would be fun to try. Maybe they can do flashbacks to his younger days...considering he probably has those anyways. He was an acid dropping hippie...right? :)

redsmetz
10-09-2009, 08:25 PM
It might go the way of Kramer.....but it would be fun to try. Maybe they can do flashbacks to his younger days...considering he probably has those anyways. He was an acid dropping hippie...right? :)

Yes, he actually is playing himself, so his past is he was in the Grass Roots. He does a face interview acknowledging that and he played some good guitar licks on one or two of the shows.

http://www.lifeintheoffice.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/07/TheGrassRoots.jpg

Lower right hand corner.

Tony Cloninger
10-09-2009, 08:33 PM
He must have some good rock and roll stories to tell...although the Grass Roots were more like The Association than the hard partying Zeppelin or Eagles.

Unassisted
10-10-2009, 12:53 AM
IMO, the wedding episode won't be nearly as funny in a couple of years when the YouTube counterpart has evaporated from our consciousness. I give the show credit for weaving pop culture into the wedding, but it comes at a cost.

Yachtzee
10-10-2009, 12:56 AM
IMO, the wedding episode won't be nearly as funny in a couple of years when the YouTube counterpart has evaporated from our consciousness. I give the show credit for weaving pop culture into the wedding, but it comes at a cost.

Or else people will forget about the original and someone will repost it, saying "Look at these people copying 'The Office.'"

kaldaniels
10-10-2009, 01:17 AM

One would have to totally forget about the youtube video though...but it's referenced in the Office episode. I understand it might not wear well over time...I can see that. But I just don't think people will forget that it was based on a Youtube video either.

reds1869
10-10-2009, 08:38 AM
"Everyone raise your glasses. Well, everyone except Pam, for obvious reasons." :)

chicoruiz
10-11-2009, 01:05 PM
The Michael Scott inappropriate speeches aren't my favorite thing by any means, but what really pains me to watch is his cruelty to Toby. I get that he dislikes Toby because Toby asks him to behave like a responsible adult; I just don't understand why watching Michael berate him is supposed to be funny. Toby is such a vulnerable character; it's like watching someone shoot Bambi.

The Operator
10-11-2009, 02:32 PM
I think it would help if they just toned Michael down a bit, in general.

I know he's supposed to be awkward and inappropriate, but sometimes it feels like they're just reaching in an attempt to keep pushing the envelope with him. They can have awkward Michael moments without some of the cringe-worthy scenes of the past season or two.

Still though, great show. One of the only shows I make sure to watch.

BuckeyeRed27
10-11-2009, 09:53 PM
[QUOTE=Chip R;1981909]I liked the first half hour or so. The actual wedding at the church I could have done without. All the dancing and stuff felt so contrived. The marriage on the boat was sweet. The opening was gross but kinda funny - especially with Creed still eating his noodles.
QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-94JhLEiN0

This is the video of why they were dancing for anyone that hadn't seen it. It's hilarious and the fact they took it for the Office wedding had me rolling.

Hoosier Red
10-11-2009, 10:07 PM
I think it would help if they just toned Michael down a bit, in general.

I know he's supposed to be awkward and inappropriate, but sometimes it feels like they're just reaching in an attempt to keep pushing the envelope with him. They can have awkward Michael moments without some of the cringe-worthy scenes of the past season or two.

Still though, great show. One of the only shows I make sure to watch.

I was thinking about this, and the writers have really done a brilliant job in writing Michael's character. For the first few seasons of the show, you really like Michael's character and feel a little bit sorry for him. In the last few years, Michael does many of the same things he did originally, but you see him as a complete jerk. It makes it hard to reconcile the two sides.

Chip R
10-11-2009, 11:08 PM

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/clips/niagara-clip-two/1165074/

redsfan1966
10-14-2009, 05:50 PM
I still enjoy watching "The Office"---however, I was disappointed with the wedding episode....I seem to be in the minority, but I am disliking Andy more and more.....the "youtube" wedding was disappointing and Michael Scott is also becoming way too uncomfortable for me. I agree with a point I heard on the "Opie and Anthony" show of all places---the British "Michael Scott" is just a jerk; somewhat believable as a boss---where as the American version has become borderline mentally disturbed in his actions....

MWM
10-16-2009, 01:03 AM
Dumbest. Episode. Ever.

The whole insurance guy is a mobster angle was just stupid, IMO.

Razor Shines
10-16-2009, 01:07 AM
Yeah, I guess hoping they were going to focus on the office this season was wishful thinking.

Andy saying "Your spark tubes are leaking" was funny though.

traderumor
10-16-2009, 06:52 AM
I agree. Pretty weak. It was hard for me to put down my son's Jr. High science book while reading about the atmosphere for this one.

redsmetz
10-16-2009, 08:22 AM
And yet I thought this episode was probably the funniest yet this season. The whole insurance guy with the mafia thing was overall a funny running joke, seeing the innocent lines setting up the scenario. The highlight of that gag, and it came early, was Oscar trying to convince everyone that the guy wasn't mafia, his face interview talking about him being the only normal person with Jim & Pam on their honeymoon.

The various calls to Jim & Pam while on their honeymoon especially his conversation with Michael and faking the call breaking up all those times.

Kevin had a good run. Of course some of the scenario was stupid, but that happens on this show and works effectively. His conversation with Oscar about going to prison was good. The lines were delivered perfectly, IMO.

Backing up, the silly seminar Michael held; tossing out "small talk" and Creed just name small things. Meredith's talking about her weekend and her son's "upper decker" or whatever she called it. Michael starting to work on his book and being lost after two or three lines.

I agree Andy's car jumping schtick was good as well.

I found this episode, as I said, a good one - refreshing and back on its A game. I'm not saying it was a perfect episode, a show like The Office is going to miss from time to time, even in a good episode. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.

IowaRed
10-16-2009, 08:28 AM
probably the least funny episode ever, I may have to watch it again since I watched it very late on Tivo, but I was extremely disappointed

RichRed
10-16-2009, 09:21 AM
I've liked many of the episodes that other people thought were bad, but the one last night was painfully unfunny.

traderumor
10-16-2009, 09:29 AM
And yet I thought this episode was probably the funniest yet this season. The whole insurance guy with the mafia thing was overall a funny running joke, seeing the innocent lines setting up the scenario. The highlight of that gag, and it came early, was Oscar trying to convince everyone that the guy wasn't mafia, his face interview talking about him being the only normal person with Jim & Pam on their honeymoon.

The various calls to Jim & Pam while on their honeymoon especially his conversation with Michael and faking the call breaking up all those times.

Kevin had a good run. Of course some of the scenario was stupid, but that happens on this show and works effectively. His conversation with Oscar about going to prison was good. The lines were delivered perfectly, IMO.

Backing up, the silly seminar Michael held; tossing out "small talk" and Creed just name small things. Meredith's talking about her weekend and her son's "upper decker" or whatever she called it. Michael starting to work on his book and being lost after two or three lines.

I agree Andy's car jumping schtick was good as well.

I found this episode, as I said, a good one - refreshing and back on its A game. I'm not saying it was a perfect episode, a show like The Office is going to miss from time to time, even in a good episode. I guess we'll have to agree to disagree.Since the reruns are all over the place, giving this one the rerun test, I'd probably flip the channel in the rerun of this episode. Just nothing side-splitting, which is the expectation with this show.

Unassisted
10-16-2009, 10:46 AM
After all of the months of hype leading up to Jim and Pam's wedding, I figured it would be interesting to see how an episode without Jim and Pam in Scranton would work. It's too bad that some of the best moments on this episode were phone conversations with Jim or Pam, because it gives the impression that they are indispensable to the success of the show. I didn't want to believe it, but maybe they are the glue that holds the show together?

After seeing last night's episode, I'm convinced that the agents for John Krasczinski and Jenna Fischer should hold out for more money when their contracts run out. ;)

traderumor
10-16-2009, 12:51 PM
After all of the months of hype leading up to Jim and Pam's wedding, I figured it would be interesting to see how an episode without Jim and Pam in Scranton would work. It's too bad that some of the best moments on this episode were phone conversations with Jim or Pam, because it gives the impression that they are indispensable to the success of the show. I didn't want to believe it, but maybe they are the glue that holds the show together?

After seeing last night's episode, I'm convinced that the agents for John Krasczinski and Jenna Fischer should hold out for more money when their contracts run out. ;)Maybe its just like a Bronson Arroyo shelling--write it off as a bad episode and get ready for next time.

gilpdawg
10-17-2009, 03:45 AM
Oh come on guys, don't tell me you didn't crack up at Kevin telling Oscar, "YOU would LOVE jail." That killed me. But other than that, it was pretty crappy.

The Operator
10-17-2009, 12:18 PM
It's a very hit-and-miss show, sometimes even in the same episode.

There were some painful moments in the latest episode but as others noted there were some classic ones as well:

Kevin to Oscar: "Trust me, you would LOVE jail."

Andy: "Your car has a leaky... spark tube."

Oscar: "Just so we're clear, Michael actually backed down a Metropolitan insurance salesman."

Michael: "I will have the spaghetti and a side salad. If the salad is on top... I SEND IT BACK."

VR
10-20-2009, 03:25 PM
--where as the American version has become borderline mentally disturbed in his actions....

I do believe this is the best view of what Michael has become.....and is the very common sentiment amongst most Office viewers.

kaldaniels
10-21-2009, 02:12 PM
I do believe this is the best view of what Michael has become.....and is the very common sentiment amongst most Office viewers.

Anyone see a similarity to the handling of Homer Simpson? He was at first an ordinary boob. Then at some point he turned into an unearthly surreal boob. I've seen the same thing happen to Micheal Scott.

Do I fault the writers or have a huge issue with it? No, there is just only some much material out there to work with before you have to head down that slippery slope.

bucksfan2
10-21-2009, 02:37 PM
I just watched that episode yesterday and thought it was ok. Nothing great, but funny none the less.

I loved it when you see Kevin in Jim's office and he explains that he went into Jims office at first to fart. And when he canceled Jim's credit card that was classic.

I like the relationship they are building between Andy and Dwight. Lord only knows where that one will go.

Chip R
10-21-2009, 09:46 PM
Anyone see a similarity to the handling of Homer Simpson? He was at first an ordinary boob. Then at some point he turned into an unearthly surreal boob. I've seen the same thing happen to Micheal Scott.

Do I fault the writers or have a huge issue with it? No, there is just only some much material out there to work with before you have to head down that slippery slope.

Interesting comparison. I think an animated show makes writers more free to try different things. Since it's animated, you can do about anything and get away with it. Homer can be in the middle of a nuclear plant meltdown and come back the next week just fine. Plus, on an animated show, you don't have to worry about egos.

On a non-animated show, such as The Office, When the characters start doing unbelievable things, viewers are going to call B.S. because they know it's unrealistic. As was said before, Michael has gone from just kind of a dumb ass who says and does inappropriate things to someone who is a barely functioning human being. There was a point last year when Dwight was becoming somewhat of a psychopath. I think they realized that and have toned him down. Michael seems to be getting more and more of an idiot all the time. It's been 6 seasons now and you are working with people who want their characters to do certain things. Rainn Wilson may want Dwight to have more lines or want Dwight to do and say certain things. Same way with Steve Carrell. He might want Michael to be even more of an idiot because it makes him look good as an actor. John Krasinski and Jenna Fischer might want a certain episode to be more about Jim and Pam and B.J. Novak - who is also a writer - might want Ryan to do certain things. Then you have to get Ed Helms involved and his character is becoming more popular and then you have to have everyone involved doing things to make them look good. In pro wrestling that's called overbooking. Instead of a singles match, you get a six man tag team match with other wrestlers coming down to interfere in the match because they are so popular. Suddenly the emphasis isn't on the story but how to make the participants look good.

The Operator
10-22-2009, 11:59 PM
I get the feeling that Pam isn't happy about Michael dating her mom.

Just a gut instinct.

yab1112
10-23-2009, 10:55 AM
Last night's episode was great. Creed getting all emotional when Jim plays the Opera music was priceless. Favorite part was Jim yelling at Toby-rewound and watched it like 5 times:D

MWM
10-23-2009, 11:59 AM
GReat episode last night. Michael had one of his moments of clarity with his "what's so wrong with me" speech followed by his very appropriate handling of Pam's tone with him.

BuckeyeRed27
10-23-2009, 12:10 PM
It's a mallard

The Operator
10-23-2009, 12:45 PM
On top of the Pam/Michael fuede, this interaction between Dwight and Jim has the chance to reach epic levels.

RichRed
10-23-2009, 01:18 PM
MUCH better episode than last week. Poor, poor Toby.

bucksfan2
10-23-2009, 01:22 PM
I though the episode was ok. I like the Jim/Dwight feud. Not enough Andy in the episode.

I am really curious where they are going with the Ryan character. I realize that BJ Novak is a writer, but his character is getting tired.

I think whenever Kevin opens his mouth he is funny. I love the way he says everything.

The Operator
10-23-2009, 02:22 PM
I am really curious where they are going with the Ryan character. I realize that BJ Novak is a writer, but his character is getting tired.

Yea, Ryan is definitely the least likable and most annoying Office character ever. And that's saying something.

Hoosier Red
10-23-2009, 02:26 PM
I think they're doing just enough with the side characters like Kevin, Creed, and Meredith to keep you coming back.

Chip R
10-23-2009, 02:58 PM
I saw most of it and thought it was pretty funny.

reds1869
10-23-2009, 03:04 PM
I liked last nights episode quite a bit. The feud between Dwight and Jim definitely has potential.

Playadlc
10-23-2009, 05:46 PM
I didn't like this episode. I get that Pam is pregnant and everything, but they used a fairly hilarious situation as a vehicle for turning Pam into a totally unlikeable character.

I am kinda disturbed by this episode. I'm not going to give the writers credit enough to attribute this all to some pregnancy hormonal rage trip, this is a complete transformation of her character, and it's affecting Jim's character as well. This episode was the first to ever make me actually root for Michael's character as the voice of reason to go off on Pam's outrageous behavior. Jim and Pam have been nothing but *****s toward everyone else in the office since they got married, and the whole dynamic of the show is just totally screwed up right now.

SMcGavin
10-23-2009, 09:04 PM
I didn't like this episode. I get that Pam is pregnant and everything, but they used a fairly hilarious situation as a vehicle for turning Pam into a totally unlikeable character.

I am kinda disturbed by this episode. I'm not going to give the writers credit enough to attribute this all to some pregnancy hormonal rage trip, this is a complete transformation of her character, and it's affecting Jim's character as well. This episode was the first to ever make me actually root for Michael's character as the voice of reason to go off on Pam's outrageous behavior. Jim and Pam have been nothing but *****s toward everyone else in the office since they got married, and the whole dynamic of the show is just totally screwed up right now.

I'm with you. I still enjoy The Office, but I don't like Pam's character anymore. "Casino Night" from season two was on TBS earlier tonight. After seeing that again it is hard to imagine that Pam would ever become an unlikeable character, but it has happened.

RBA
10-24-2009, 01:18 PM
Did anyone else think, "Frank and Benny, or Frank and Beans" was some type of double entendre?

reds1869
10-24-2009, 02:12 PM
Did anyone else think, "Frank and Benny, or Frank and Beans" was some type of double entendre?

I kept thinking of the same line/incident in There's Something About Mary.

Chip R
10-24-2009, 02:26 PM
I kept thinking of the same line/incident in There's Something About Mary.

That's what I was thinking too.

traderumor
10-26-2009, 09:30 AM

I am kinda disturbed by this episode. I'm not going to give the writers credit enough to attribute this all to some pregnancy hormonal rage trip, this is a complete transformation of her character, and it's affecting Jim's character as well. This episode was the first to ever make me actually root for Michael's character as the voice of reason to go off on Pam's outrageous behavior. Jim and Pam have been nothing but *****s toward everyone else in the office since they got married, and the whole dynamic of the show is just totally screwed up right now.Wow, I think you may be thinking about this stuff way too deeply. It's a TV show.

Hoosier Red
10-26-2009, 11:55 AM

Well to be fair, they've been married for two episodes(three if you want to count the actual wedding.) In one episode they were on their honeymoon when Oscar called with a normal office issue. The second they come back, Pam finds out that the first man her mom is seeing after a divorce is Michael, meaning she can't ever get away from him.

Also, what was the deal with the secretary asking Michael's permission to have the nuts out. Was that just her way of asserting dominance over Pam? Or some bitter rivalry I didn't understand?

Tom Servo
10-26-2009, 02:25 PM
Finally caught the newest episode and loved it, easily the best of the season. So much great stuff.

And Ryan's mysterious fedora hat.

Playadlc
10-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Wow, I think you may be thinking about this stuff way too deeply. It's a TV show.

Really? I am just saying that I don't like the direction Pam's character is going. I don't really see what's so deep about that.

kaldaniels
10-26-2009, 04:55 PM
Really? I am just saying that I don't like the direction Pam's character is going. I don't really see what's so deep about that.

There has been a change in Pam's character. The relationship with Jim was the catalyst. She is more outgoing/confident/in-your-face now. Maybe love does that to people.

I liked the old Pam better.

yab1112
10-26-2009, 05:38 PM
I liked the old Pam better.

this

Tom Servo
10-26-2009, 06:05 PM
It's been pointed out in other places that people seemingly don't like 'new Pam' because she's no longer a doormat and is actually happy and comfortable now.

westofyou
10-26-2009, 06:14 PM
It's been pointed out in other places that people seemingly don't like 'new Pam' because she's no longer a doormat and is actually happy and comfortable now.

Considering the movie work jenna gets is it realistic to think she would stay on the show playing a 2 dimensional character?

I'd say no.

Playadlc
10-26-2009, 08:29 PM

I think it has more to do with people not liking characters that act like spoiled little brats. It's as simple as that, IMO.

The Operator
10-26-2009, 09:25 PM
It was one episode. Pam hasn't acted like a "spoiled little brat" in any episode leading up to this and I doubt it will keep up and if it does, it won't for long.

She's pretty close to last on my list of unlikable Office characters.

I mean, this is the same show that has Ryan, Kelly and Angela on it. And people are complaining about Pam?

Redsfaithful
10-27-2009, 01:42 AM
That is the change though, that she stands up for herself, has more power in the office now that she's a saleswoman, etc.

It is different for sure, but I still like her. It's not like her character was getting upset about someone doing something minor, in the world of the show having Michael Scott sleeping with your mother would be just about the worst thing possible I think.

RBA
10-27-2009, 09:20 AM
That is the change though, that she stands up for herself, has more power in the office now that she's a saleswoman, etc.

It is different for sure, but I still like her. It's not like her character was getting upset about someone doing something minor, in the world of the show having Michael Scott sleeping with your mother would be just about the worst thing possible I think.

Yeah, isn't Michael Scott, mostly about himself? Hasn't he thrown numerous people under the bus to protect his job? I think anyone knowing what Michael Scott is would be very outraged at a person like that having any relations with any family member of theirs.

Unassisted
10-27-2009, 09:26 AM
The show appears to be setting up a new dynamic going forward where Pam regularly clashes with Michael and Jim has to scramble in the middle with divided loyalties to keep them apart.

This new reality may be setting the table for Pam to leave for another employer and either a Jenna Fischer spinoff series or her movie career.

Hoosier Red
10-27-2009, 09:58 AM

I have decided that I'm going to be more honest. I'm going to tell people what I want. Directly. So, look out world, cause ol' Pammy is getting what she wants. And, don't call me Pammy.

The Operator
10-27-2009, 10:40 AM
This new reality may be setting the table for Pam to leave for another employer and either a Jenna Fischer spinoff series or her movie career.
Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a normal ebb and flow of the show. She was quoted as saying she wants to be Pam for a long time.

From Jenna Fischer's wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenna_Fischer):

Honestly it would be great to get to play Pam for a long, long time ... I don't have real big aspirations to be a movie star. I would love to be on a long-running hit TV show. You end up playing a defining role.

yab1112
10-27-2009, 11:09 AM

The great thing about this show is how the characters make every word and action so uncomfortable. I think they lost a lot of that awkwardness when Pam gained so much confidence. The interactions between Jim and Pam in the earlier seasons literally made me squirm. Now...not so much.

So i guess what I'm saying is, I don't really have a problem with the change to New Pam as much as I do with how the show changed because of it. :dunno:

kaldaniels
10-27-2009, 02:11 PM
Yeah, isn't Michael Scott, mostly about himself? Hasn't he thrown numerous people under the bus to protect his job? I think anyone knowing what Michael Scott is would be very outraged at a person like that having any relations with any family member of theirs.

Who has he thrown under the bus to protect his job...you lost me there.

Chip R
10-27-2009, 02:27 PM

Dwight, for one. See "The Golden Ticket."

AccordinglyReds
10-27-2009, 02:56 PM

Just recently, Jim, too. (When David Wallace came to the office about Jim's proposal.)

traderumor
10-27-2009, 04:24 PM
Maybe, but I wouldn't be surprised if it's just a normal ebb and flow of the show. She was quoted as saying she wants to be Pam for a long time.

From Jenna Fischer's wikipedia page (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jenna_Fischer):Is that the new Jenna or the old Jenna? :confused:

RBA
10-27-2009, 08:59 PM
http://www.tanga.com/deals/current/tshirt

The Office "Dunder Mifflin" T-Shirt
From the Hit TV Series, The Office! Choose Between 3 Colors!

$5.99
+ $1.99 shipping

Suggested Retail $19.99
Tanga Savings $14.00 (70%!)
Share on Facebook

Please note that XXL and XXXL shirts cost .99 cents extra…

kaldaniels
10-28-2009, 12:39 AM

Yep...thats one. The "numerous" remark threw me. Dwight is the only person I can see Michael deliberately throwing under the bus. Heck, it was Michaels call to make Jim co-manager.

Yachtzee
10-28-2009, 01:39 AM
Yep...thats one. The "numerous" remark threw me. Dwight is the only person I can see Michael deliberately throwing under the bus. Heck, it was Michaels call to make Jim co-manager.

Michael threw Jim under the bus when he thought Jim was gunning for his job when David Wallace asked him if he thought Jim was manager material. It was only after David revealed that Jim had suggested Michael be promoted and that Jim had an offer from another company that he agreed to Jim as co-manager.

Chip R
10-28-2009, 10:25 AM
He's also thrown Toby under the bus numerous times.

Now, I must admit that he did right by Pam and Ryan when Dunder-Mifflin bought out the MSPC.

Razor Shines
10-29-2009, 09:28 PM
"Oh, you're spending way too much for a worm, friend. Who's your worm guy?" :laugh:

Chip R
10-29-2009, 09:41 PM
"Oh, you're spending way too much for a worm, friend. Who's your worm guy?" :laugh:

:lol:

Lot of laughs tonight. Good show.

The Operator
10-29-2009, 10:31 PM
Yea, good episode tonight.

Is it just me or is Oscar kind of becoming a pain?

Tom Servo
10-30-2009, 12:29 AM
Yea, good episode tonight.

Is it just me or is Oscar kind of becoming a pain?
Or another word that Michael refered to him as. :D

It was nice to have an episode with an Andy-centric plot, he's one of the most consistently funny characters. And I find Ryan's 'holier than though' attitude absolutle hilarious, tonight's example being dressed as a vampire from Twilight and lambasting Creed for his traditional vampire costume. :lol:

ABEsolutely
10-30-2009, 07:54 AM
Or another word that Michael refered to him as. :D

It was nice to have an episode with an Andy-centric plot, he's one of the most consistently funny characters. And I find Ryan's 'holier than though' attitude absolutle hilarious, tonight's example being dressed as a vampire from Twilight and lambasting Creed for his traditional vampire costume. :lol:

Awesome! I can't wait to see it.. We've been going back through the older seasons. Andy episodes are the best!

Chip R
10-30-2009, 11:36 AM
I loved Andy's line about his "girlfriend", "On a scale of 1 to Giselle, she's a 9." :lol:

HotCorner
10-30-2009, 04:18 PM
Anyone seen these?

http://www.officetally.com/the-office-webisodes-subtle-sexuality/3

Funny stuff.

Chip R
10-30-2009, 04:21 PM
Anyone seen these?

http://www.officetally.com/the-office-webisodes-subtle-sexuality/3

Funny stuff.

Yep.

The Operator
11-06-2009, 08:50 AM
I thought last night's episode was okay.

I liked the awkwardness during the Jim/Pam/Helene/Michael lunch, and Michael awkwardly bumbling through the most tasteless and innapropriate break-up ever. That was classic to me. And especially Pam deciding not to punch him, only to turn around and slap the crap out of him when Michael, of course, has to put his foot in his mouth again. I loved it.

I also thought Toby giving Pam pointers on how to get the most force into punching Michael was an awesome moment. Toby is great.

But, I really thought Dwight passing out bagels to try and use that as a reason to get everyone to turn on Jim down the road was stupid, though. Not even Dwight is that stupid. His character has been really hit or miss lately.

And here's a question, what exactly is Ryan still doing on the show? I thought he was the odd man out when they only had one sales job for Pam/Ryan when Michael Scott paper company got bought by Dunder Mifflin? But yet, he's still there every week. Did I miss something? Frankly, I find his character very annoying and I'm not sure why they keep force-feeding him into the show. Maybe because BJ Novak is a writer? I'm not sure.

Chip R
11-06-2009, 09:57 AM
I thought it was pretty funny. That was typical Michael, breaking up with Helene like that. Toby was hilarious too. He was living vicariously through Pam.

I thought the Andy/Dwight one-upmanship thing was funny. I like this Dwight better than Psycho-Dwight from last year. He's still weird but in a different way. It's funny to see his plots against Jim go down the tubes. Kind of like watching Wile E. Coyote fail to get the Road Runner.

Creed is comedy gold. Just with the one line he gets per show he still kills.

Ryan is kind of useless. But, in the show, Michael loves him so he stays. I know he's a writer but I believe he's a producer too.

RichRed
11-06-2009, 10:12 AM
I loved Dwight asking Michael, "Why are you limping?" after Pam slapped him in the face.

Chip R
11-06-2009, 10:34 AM
Seems like a suicide prevention group didn't care for the Halloween episode last week.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20091105/ap_on_bi_ge/us_tv_office_noose

reds1869
11-06-2009, 10:39 AM
Seems like a suicide prevention group didn't care for the Halloween episode last week.

People are too sensitive. Seriously, I've lost loved ones to suicide and didn't at all take offense to the scene, or think that the show might drive someone to kill themselves.

Tom Servo
11-06-2009, 11:07 AM
Ryan is kind of useless. But, in the show, Michael loves him so he stays. I know he's a writer but I believe he's a producer too.
Ryan trying to get Erin to let him photograph her and showing her a topless Kelly picture was hilarious.

bucksfan2
11-06-2009, 11:18 AM
Ryan trying to get Erin to let him photograph her and showing her a topless Kelly picture was hilarious.

I thought that was hilarious. It was a shocker thats for sure. But I too am getting sick of Ryan. They are trying to portray him as a creepy character, but it is taking away from other characters I like better.

Toby's instructions to Pam on how to punch were classic, but I loved Michael's facial expressions.

Dwight was different last night, but I love the dynamic between Dwight and Andy.

Chip R
11-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I thought that was hilarious. It was a shocker thats for sure.

I'm not sure how much of a shocker that was. Kelly would do anything for Ryan.

bucksfan2
11-06-2009, 11:37 AM
I'm not sure how much of a shocker that was. Kelly would do anything for Ryan.

When he opened up the photo album and there was a naked picture of Kelly, that was a shocker to me. Didn't expect that to happen.

Chip R
11-06-2009, 12:03 PM
When he opened up the photo album and there was a naked picture of Kelly, that was a shocker to me. Didn't expect that to happen.

True. I'm sure Erin was shocked too. I thought the Nard Dog would be on Ryan's case for hustling Erin.

dougdirt
11-06-2009, 01:34 PM
True. I'm sure Erin was shocked too. I thought the Nard Dog would be on Ryan's case for hustling Erin.

I think that could be where we see the storyline going.

Chip R
11-06-2009, 01:44 PM
I think that could be where we see the storyline going.

Ryan better watch out. The Nard Dog bites.

traderumor
11-07-2009, 08:33 AM
I watched the episode after reading what happened, which seems to make the show not as funny. But, since that doesn't happen on reruns, maybe the show just didn't hit the funny bone for me. The deleted scenes should have stayed in.

RBA
11-07-2009, 08:54 AM

I thought some group might have had issues with the costume Michael was wearing in front of children.

Playadlc
11-10-2009, 02:01 PM
Okay, I went back and watched some of season 5 last night and the Stress Relief: Part 1 show is at absolutely hilarious. I forgot just how funny this show was.

The fire scene at the beginning and the CPR training scene are classic.

This is probably my favorite Office episode ever.

Tom Servo
11-10-2009, 02:06 PM
The fire scene at the beginning and the CPR training scene are classic.

http://i26.tinypic.com/a9vltv.jpg

AccordinglyReds
11-12-2009, 09:37 PM
ahahaha

Creed's entry and exit were great.

Andy's mess up made me cringe and feel sorry for him.

I liked it.

Tom Servo
11-14-2009, 01:06 AM
I thought Thursday's new episode was the best in a long time.

yab1112
11-19-2009, 12:24 PM
Andy's mess up made me cringe and feel sorry for him.

I'm loving what they're doing with this storyline. It's the new version of the Jim/Pam dynamic from the early seasons. It's super awkward and super hilarious.:thumbup:

The Operator
11-19-2009, 10:16 PM
I liked tonight's episode.

I was hoping Jim would fire Ryan but I think he got his point across with what he did end up doing. It looks like Jim definitely has his work cut out with winning the respect of the office as a manager.

MWM
11-19-2009, 11:38 PM
I've almost lost interest in the show. There are moments here and there, but it's being completely over-shadowed by dumb Michael Scott uncomfortable and unfunny situations. The second they said he was going to the meeting, I knew what was coming. I wonder if the folks making the decisions here have ever done consumer research because I really don't think they get what made this show really good at one point and what most fans like about it. Somewhere along the lines they got the impression it was Steve Carrell that made it funny. Heck, I think the show would almost be better without him. Rick Gervais has to be rolling his eyes if he watches this show.

The Operator
11-19-2009, 11:58 PM
Good point, Michael has been consistently overdone in most episodes for quite a while now. He's gone from awkward to just plain unbelievable.

That being said, I think I've kinda accepted that from the show. They still manage to pack some funny stuff in around the Michael buffoonery so it still is a worthwhile watch for me.

Chip R
11-20-2009, 12:02 AM
I liked tonight's episode.

I was hoping Jim would fire Ryan but I think he got his point across with what he did end up doing. It looks like Jim definitely has his work cut out with winning the respect of the office as a manager.

Yeah. I don't think Jim can fire Ryan since Michael loves him so much, he'll just re-hire him. About the only person Jim could fire that Michael wouldn't overturn would be Toby.

Playadlc
11-20-2009, 04:57 AM
So disappointing. I really thought we were going to get an epic moment from Oscar.

GIK
11-20-2009, 09:31 AM
So disappointing. I really thought we were going to get an epic moment from Oscar.

Absolutely agree. What a let down. I'm not really sure why I still watch this show.

Chip R
11-20-2009, 02:17 PM
I've almost lost interest in the show. There are moments here and there, but it's being completely over-shadowed by dumb Michael Scott uncomfortable and unfunny situations. The second they said he was going to the meeting, I knew what was coming. I wonder if the folks making the decisions here have ever done consumer research because I really don't think they get what made this show really good at one point and what most fans like about it. Somewhere along the lines they got the impression it was Steve Carrell that made it funny. Heck, I think the show would almost be better without him. Rick Gervais has to be rolling his eyes if he watches this show.

I'm sort of a newcomer to the show. I started watching it in the last couple of years and since it's gone into syndication, I've sen pretty much every one now.

It feels forced now. It's like they are trying too hard to come up with some grand situation to make a storyline and it's falling flat. Sure, the show has a few good laughs every week. Creed's gold and he has one line a week. In his case, less is more.

Some shows just stay on past their prime because they run out of stories to tell. I think that's happening to this show. I liked the episode where Andy and Pam went out on sales calls. That felt realistic. The wedding, the bankruptcy thing, the shareholders meeting, Jim's promotion all feel staged.

I've been watching Gervais' Office and he only did 12 or so shows and then wrapped it up. It didn't have time to grow stale or make up some elaborate storyline because they didn't want to rely on the humor they could have just around the office.

It's tough to unring a bell. You can't make Jim a salesman again and Pam the receptionist and have them mooning over each other and never consummating the relationship. I don't think there necessarily has to be such tension because of the co-bosses. Have the 4 main characters in there but they don't necessarily have to involve them in every story. I'd emphasize Andy more and explore this thing with Erin. Involve the lesser characters more. All they are doing now is taking up space except for Creed who has his funny line every week and that's it.

traderumor
11-20-2009, 04:40 PM
Overthinking TV or movies can be dangerous. Going deep into the ocean when the entertainment is only intended for the wading pool at a cement pond is going to ruin the show for anyone. This show is certainly not intended for deep thinking consumption and character development. It is meant to be stupid humor. It is still accomplishing that.

Chip R
11-20-2009, 04:53 PM
Overthinking TV or movies can be dangerous. Going deep into the ocean when the entertainment is only intended for the wading pool at a cement pond is going to ruin the show for anyone. This show is certainly not intended for deep thinking consumption and character development. It is meant to be stupid humor. It is still accomplishing that.

I agree to a point. Billions of bits and bytes have been wasted on talking about the relative merits of TV shows (and sports teams for that matter). But the show used to be smart humor. It's debatable now if much is funny about the show.

redsfanmia
11-20-2009, 05:01 PM
I agree to a point. Billions of bits and bytes have been wasted on talking about the relative merits of TV shows (and sports teams for that matter). But the show used to be smart humor. It's debatable now if much is funny about the show.

Its just dissappointing that the show has gone down so much, but it happens with everyshow. The only show I can think of that was good from start to finish was WKRP in Cincinnati and the plug was pulled on that before Johnny and Jennifer got married or Andy and Bailey had a baby together.

I have looked forward to watching The Office every week for the past few years, now i find myself flipping around when its on.

bucksfan2
11-21-2009, 09:53 AM

:thumbup:

At first I didn't watch the show, now I don't miss an episode. I thought last weeks episode was average but you are going to have that. Every TV show has episodes that are ok or episodes that they use to develop different plot lines. In every episode I find myself laughing out loud which is just fine with me.

Donder
11-24-2009, 07:08 AM
I think this fits in perfectly well right here.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/the_office_ends_as

This is the problem with over-analyzing a tv show. But funny.

Chip R
11-24-2009, 09:04 AM
I think this fits in perfectly well right here.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_briefs/the_office_ends_as

This is the problem with over-analyzing a tv show. But funny.

:lol: Very good.

kaldaniels
12-04-2009, 12:45 AM
Nice episode tonight. The most cringeworthy Micheal moment in a few seasons, if not ever...shattering the college ambitions of those kids. And let us not overlook the Dwight-Ryan alliance as the credits rolled...could that be where the 2nd half of this season is headed???

dougdirt
12-04-2009, 02:19 AM
Nice episode tonight. The most cringeworthy Micheal moment in a few seasons, if not ever...shattering the college ambitions of those kids. And let us not overlook the Dwight-Ryan alliance as the credits rolled...could that be where the 2nd half of this season is headed???

I was very uncomfortable during most of the episode. I enjoyed the conversation with Erin and Michael in the car on the way back from the school. Explains so much about how Kevin got hired as an accountant.

reds1869
12-04-2009, 05:09 AM
Last night's episode approached the squirm factor of the BBC Office. At times I almost couldn't watch. I have hope for that the end sequence with Ryan; perhaps they can make his character relevant again.

redsmetz
12-04-2009, 05:32 AM
I was very uncomfortable during most of the episode. I enjoyed the conversation with Erin and Michael in the car on the way back from the school. Explains so much about how Kevin got hired as an accountant.

My daughter and I were pretty much of the same mind. It Michael piece struck me as extraordinarily cruel and not find in the least. The bit with Michael and Erin made for some interesting interchange, but I'm not sure it redeemed the overall cruelty of the story line.

The Dwight plot was a bit tedious, I though, although Dwight imitating the different co-workers was well played. Even though it was tedious, it offset the awful Michael segment. I'm close to giving up on the show, frankly.

And when's Erin going to get a spine. She needs to have Pam give her some talking points for getting Michael to not treat her like s***.

SunDeck
12-04-2009, 06:10 AM
In an ideal world, I would have all ten fingers on my left hand, so my right hand could just be a fist for punching.

One of Dwight's best lines, ever.

Chip R
12-04-2009, 09:27 AM
My daughter and I were pretty much of the same mind. It Michael piece struck me as extraordinarily cruel and not find in the least. The bit with Michael and Erin made for some interesting interchange, but I'm not sure it redeemed the overall cruelty of the story line.

The Dwight plot was a bit tedious, I though, although Dwight imitating the different co-workers was well played. Even though it was tedious, it offset the awful Michael segment. I'm close to giving up on the show, frankly.

And when's Erin going to get a spine. She needs to have Pam give her some talking points for getting Michael to not treat her like s***.

I thought Michael's plot was pretty cringeworthy. Was it cruel? Sure. But a lot of stuff that has went on there has been cruel. Michael firing Pam in the very first episode. Angela cuckholding Andy with Dwight. Even Creed got that girl fired because of the obscene watermark. Michael even tried to have Toby arrssted for possession of pot.

The B plot was tedious. But Dwight did a great job impersonating Kevin and Stanley. Toby was OK but the others were spot on.

You have to remember Pam didn't have much of a spine herself for the first several seasons.

kaldaniels
12-04-2009, 04:29 PM
Classic Michael...after letting those kids down about their tutition, he can't help but build up the suspense as if he is giving them laptops, only to give them batteries.

MWM
12-05-2009, 12:34 AM
I figured out the only way I'm going to continue to enjoy this show. Last night, I fast forwarded through all of MIchael Scott and watched the rest. I don't even look forward to it anymore.

KronoRed
12-05-2009, 12:35 AM
I figured out the only way I'm going to continue to enjoy this show. Last night, I fast forwarded through all of MIchael Scott and watched the rest. I don't even look forward to it anymore.

I'm just reading recaps over at TV without pity to see what happens with Pam and Jim.

BuckeyeRed27
12-06-2009, 11:17 PM

If you don't like the show then why do you bother watching it? It's not like there is a lack of stuff to watch.

traderumor
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
If you don't like the show then why do you bother watching it? It's not like there is a lack of stuff to watch.Lots of channels, not much on those channels.

MWM
12-07-2009, 03:49 PM
If you don't like the show then why do you bother watching it? It's not like there is a lack of stuff to watch.

I used to like the entire show so I watched all of it. I still like pretty much everything but the Michael moments, so I watch what I enjoy and not what I don't.

I watch very little TV as there's very little that interests me.

pedro
12-07-2009, 03:53 PM
I can't stand The Office.

Chip R
12-07-2009, 04:28 PM
I can't stand The Office.

Did you ever see the BBC version?

Hoosier Red
12-07-2009, 05:20 PM

I think you're misreading Michael. It isn't cruelty, he obviously didn't want to not live up to its promise but rather a seperation from reality. It's what makes Michael such a brilliant character, not because of any reality but rather because he's a farce.

Michael honestly believed that he was going to be a millionaire, and as a millionaire, he'd have enough money to pay for all those kids tuition. What makes this more cringe worthy than even normal Michael Scott is that of course he didn't plan for any contingency, he just assumed he'd be a millionaire.

He just desperately wants to be liked(more than respected) and so he's willing to promise people anything and everything on the off chance they'll like him.

pedro
12-07-2009, 06:44 PM
Did you ever see the BBC version?

Not much of it. It is better though. I just think the show is painful to watch and just not that funny. I do like Dwight though.

cincyinco
12-08-2009, 05:19 AM
Well I don't get to watch this show much if at all anymore given my new career and hours.. But I don't get all the michael hate. Whenever I do watch an episode, he still makes me laugh... I enjoy the so called ackward moments that are making some of you cringe. Comedy gold and Steve Carrol pulls it off well.

I appreciate all the characters of this show and the dynamic they bring. Not every character has to be likable for a show to work.

For example, take sienfeld. Don't care much for jerry, but despite my dislike, he helped make that show work, and work very very well.

I just think every actor on the show brings something to the table for you to get invested in, even if that means rooting against their character.

Razor Shines
12-17-2009, 01:08 AM
"Tranny Clause"

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 07:23 AM
I love "The Office".

By far my favorite show.

Definitely have a huge crush on Jenna Fischer.

Started watching the show because she reminded me of a friend of mine.

I've now been dating that friend since last March. Coincidence, I guess.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Michael Scott: Alright, Kevin... you are accused of making sexually suggestive remarks to Angela, that made her feel uncomfortable. Solution: Angela, you are to make sexually suggestive remarks to Kevin that make him feel uncomfortable.

Kevin Malone: [quickly] I accept your decision. Cameraman: Smile.

Dwight Schrute: No!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 07:33 AM
Watching the moment that Jim finally asks Pam out on a date and her reaction to the camera is just incredibly sweet. You are right it does make the show that much better.

"Awesome!", as Kevin would say.

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 07:59 AM

Agree. Don't know what their plans are, but it was set up perfectly up to that point for Oscar to get a larger role in the company and some character growth in the show.

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 08:03 AM
Sorry for 4 posts in a row, but if I ever posted on this thread, it might have been only once, so I skimmed through 31 pages of posts.

I have never watched an episode that I haven't laughed hard at and thoroughly enjoyed, and I've watched nearly every episode.

But, then I only started watching it about 20 months ago, finding reruns, and then eventually getting the DVD's. Plus, it's creepily parallelling my own life way too closely.

Razor Shines
12-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Sorry for 4 posts in a row, but if I ever posted on this thread, it might have been only once, so I skimmed through 31 pages of posts.

I have never watched an episode that I haven't laughed hard at and thoroughly enjoyed, and I've watched nearly every episode.

But, then I only started watching it about 20 months ago, finding reruns, and then eventually getting the DVD's. Plus, it's creepily parallelling my own life way too closely.

There's a camera crew documenting your work life?

Kingspoint
12-23-2009, 08:08 AM
There's a camera crew documenting your work life?

No, not that part. :D

The Jim and Pam part. The timing always being off with getting together...that Fischer reminds me so much of my girlfriend....the trying to be friends without acknowledging or being able to go further than that, etc.

I felt guilty watching the show because I had been with someone for 7 years, but it was slowing down, and Pam reminded me so much of a good friend of mine. Now, we've been together for 9 months and I don't see the other woman anymore.

That aside, I love the stupidity of the show. And, now I don't have to feel guilty watching it.

As Michael would say, "Too much information."

Kingspoint
12-25-2009, 04:55 PM
Got a "Dunder Mifflin paper company" T-Shirt in Redszone RED, of course. Also, received "The Office Trivia Board Game".

It's a "Beni-Hana Christmas".

The Operator
01-21-2010, 09:16 PM
First new episode in weeks and it's a clip montage?

Disappointing. Why does any show EVER do a clip montage? It's pointless and annoying.

yab1112
01-21-2010, 11:11 PM
First new episode in weeks and it's a clip montage?

Weak Sauce.

Tony Cloninger
01-22-2010, 12:22 AM
It's still better than that horrible Sienfeld montage they had once.

Razor Shines
01-22-2010, 01:00 AM

Wrong. Entirely. This is not a matter of opinion it is a matter of fact.

Kingspoint
01-22-2010, 03:47 AM
It's sad that the writers and actors for whatever reason couldn't put a show together.

Yes, it was pretty lame.

The show's definitely at a crossroads. They've got to come up with something new now, or risk losing most of their viewers.

It possibly set up the new direction that the show will go. We got to see some of everybody for one last time before they decide who will stay and who will go.

But, it was like some 12-year old wrote the show for last night. We waited five weeks for that? Why even bother?

Chip R
01-22-2010, 09:09 AM

At least Seinfeld didn't try to pass it off as a new episode.

Tony Cloninger
01-22-2010, 11:01 AM
I did not say it was good. Although replacing Stanley was funny.

I do not recall how Sienfeld advertised his show for the montage.

The Simpsons did a good job at poking fun at those type of shows around season 4 or 5....cannot remember. Troy McClure was hosting....I miss Phil Hartman.

yab1112
01-24-2010, 10:13 AM
It's sad that the writers and actors for whatever reason couldn't put a show together.

It didn't bother me so much that they had a flashback episode, every show has them eventually. What really killed me was that they started with this after the holiday break!

I heard that NBC ordered them to make a cheap episode and this was the cheapest way they could do it. I have no source for this info, but in light of all the reports we're hearing about NBC, it sure makes sense.

redsfan1966
01-24-2010, 12:14 PM
yeahhh....thanks for the clip episode.....what a bummer....30 Rock and Community are really becoming "must watches" for me and The Office is slowly becoming an afterthought..

Tony Cloninger
01-24-2010, 07:48 PM
Community Service..seems to me... is basically the Office in a different setting. Maybe their ideas are fresher but I do not see them as funnier.

reds1869
01-24-2010, 09:04 PM
I think they are setting this show up for a finale. More accurately, I hope this is the last season. I've been with The Office from the outset and almost feel like I am watching out of duty at this point. I can't say I will take that into another season as weak as this one.

Kingspoint
01-24-2010, 09:30 PM
Steve Carrell's "Exit Interview" with Conan was better than what they came up with last week.

I see that Kathy Bates is going to head a company that buys Dunder-Miflin on Feb 4th. If I was Michael, I wouldn't butt heads with Kathy Bates. Getting his foot grilled will be nothing compared to what she can do with a sledgehammer.

kaldaniels
01-24-2010, 10:36 PM
The Ultimate Unanswered Question from The Office...

Why does Creed need 3 chairs?

Kingspoint
01-24-2010, 10:50 PM
The Ultimate Unanswered Question from The Office...

Why does Creed need 3 chairs?

He's putting a set together at home.

The Operator
02-04-2010, 11:09 PM
"There aren't many things that would make me want to not team up with David Wallace, but 'Suck It' is one of them."

Tonight's episode had some pretty funny moments. Not sure how I feel about the whole Sabre thing, but we'll see where that goes.

I also love Andy with "that's as hard as I can hint!" after striking out again trying to get Erin to ask him out.

Kingspoint
02-05-2010, 06:15 AM
There just wasn't much to last night's episode. They're rudderless right now.

ABEsolutely
02-06-2010, 02:27 PM
I thought the first half of the episode was good...

Kingspoint
02-06-2010, 07:32 PM
I thought the first half of the episode was good...

I agree. It had potential, then just dragged on. It makes me wonder who's writing this stuff now.

KronoRed
02-06-2010, 07:47 PM
I agree. It had potential, then just dragged on. It makes me wonder who's writing this stuff now.

People who know they have no chance of being canceled because NBC is just that bad.

bucksfan2
02-09-2010, 08:56 AM
I started watching The Office regularly about 2 years ago. By the magic of DVR I am able to record all of TBS's episodes and watch them at my leisure. I do think it makes a difference and the older episodes are funnier mainly because I can skip over the ones I don't like or have recently seen. It makes it much more enjoyable to watch.

As for the new seasons I tend to agree that overall they aren't as good, but I still find myself laughing at every episode. I liked this past episode's new company coming in and blocking a bunch of time wasting websites. I liked Michael going to his idol's house, David Wallace, getting into the hot tub with his clothes on, and then leaving thinking Wallace is weird. I got back and watch the newer episodes on line and find them even more funny than when I originally watched them.

RBA
02-09-2010, 03:12 PM
They squeezed all the comedy out of when Andy will ask Erin out on a date. Get on with it.

Razor Shines
02-10-2010, 12:11 AM
They squeezed all the comedy out of when Andy will ask Erin out on a date. Get on with it.

Yeah, I think they thought they could drag it on for a few years like Jim and Pam.....except there's nothing stopping them from being together. I agree at this point it's just annoying.

Chip R
02-10-2010, 12:14 PM
Yeah, I think they thought they could drag it on for a few years like Jim and Pam.....except there's nothing stopping them from being together. I agree at this point it's just annoying.

Agreed.

traderumor
02-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Yeah, I think they thought they could drag it on for a few years like Jim and Pam.....except there's nothing stopping them from being together. I agree at this point it's just annoying.They are stopping themselves because they won't come out and tell each other that they "like like" each other. Very plausible story line.

kbrake
02-10-2010, 11:47 PM
Its been a rough season. Jim and Pam's wedding was a really good episode. Other than that there hasn't been much.

Razor Shines
02-11-2010, 12:16 AM
They are stopping themselves because they won't come out and tell each other that they "like like" each other. Very plausible story line.

So he'll rent her a whole drum team, but won't ask her out on a date? That's plausible?

KronoRed
02-11-2010, 01:28 AM
So he'll rent her a whole drum team, but won't ask her out on a date? That's plausible?

In High School maybe, if adults acted like this they would be committed :D

traderumor
02-11-2010, 05:37 PM
So he'll rent her a whole drum team, but won't ask her out on a date? That's plausible?You might have me there.

Joseph
02-11-2010, 10:07 PM
I'm not a fan of this Saber angle right now.

Yachtzee
02-11-2010, 10:11 PM
I'm not a fan of this Saber angle right now.

It's Sabre, as in "Sah-brey"

Joseph
02-11-2010, 10:14 PM
Excellent time to commit a typo eh?

Scrap Irony
02-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I thought this was a pretty good episode and am hoping Kathy Bates can inject something interesting into the show.

kbrake
02-11-2010, 10:49 PM
Pretty good episode. A much needed good episode.

Tony Cloninger
02-12-2010, 12:24 AM
Agreed. I LOL several times. Have not done that in a while.

So people are annoyed over Andy but they were not over the Pam and Jim...will they or won't they thing? I thought that was like watching paint dry..at times. I just think Pam annoyed me, and I realized she was engaged, but the way she would deny the obvious just reminded me of a few women I dated.

The Operator
02-12-2010, 12:27 AM
I dunno, it's all getting a little far fetched now.

Ryan goes from temp, to salesman, to VP, back to temp. Clearly realistic.

Jim goes from salesman, to co-manager, to manager, back to sales.

Dwight still hasn't been fired despite going behind Micheal's back and gunning for his position, keeping weapons in the office, AND starting a fire which gave Stanley a heart attack. Oh, and he also drove Phyllis five miles downtown and took her purse and cell phone and made her walk back during weight loss week. And he still has a job. Very realistic.

Micheal still has a job despite harassing or degrading each and every member of the office either sexually or personally. Okay, that's a tad believable, but c'mon. Even in the American workplace a manager as bad as Micheal wouldn't have lasted 12 years or however long he supposedly has.

I love this show, but it's getting harder and harder to suspend my disbelief when the plot lines just get so kooky and far out.

I have a bad feeling that this is where they're headed:

http://fresnobeehive.com/archives/upload/2006/12/JumpTheShark.jpg

Donder
02-12-2010, 07:22 AM
There were some good lines tonight.

"Did you see Saw?"
"Mose and I seesaw all the time."

edabbs44
02-12-2010, 04:17 PM
I dunno, it's all getting a little far fetched now.

Ryan goes from temp, to salesman, to VP, back to temp. Clearly realistic.

Jim goes from salesman, to co-manager, to manager, back to sales.

Dwight still hasn't been fired despite going behind Micheal's back and gunning for his position, keeping weapons in the office, AND starting a fire which gave Stanley a heart attack. Oh, and he also drove Phyllis five miles downtown and took her purse and cell phone and made her walk back during weight loss week. And he still has a job. Very realistic.

Micheal still has a job despite harassing or degrading each and every member of the office either sexually or personally. Okay, that's a tad believable, but c'mon. Even in the American workplace a manager as bad as Micheal wouldn't have lasted 12 years or however long he supposedly has.

I love this show, but it's getting harder and harder to suspend my disbelief when the plot lines just get so kooky and far out.

I have a bad feeling that this is where they're headed:

http://fresnobeehive.com/archives/upload/2006/12/JumpTheShark.jpg

It's a tv show.

The Operator
02-12-2010, 04:54 PM
I realize that, and I still love the show.

But the whole Ryan thing and to some extent Dwight just strike me odd. IMO, the fact that BJ Novak is a writer is the only reason Ryan still gets on the show. His character is pointless, annoying, and adds nothing to the show.

The whole Dwight thing is just overkill too. At first when he was the office Nazi who we've all encountered at one time or another, that's believable. But planting listening devices in your bosses office? Trying to get your bosses password from an IT guy? Writing an entire "Diabolical Plan" to get your boss fired? They're just WAY overdoing it in my opinion.

Don't get me wrong, it's still one of the only shows I make a point to watch. But Ryan needs to go yesterday and they really need to tone Dwight down a bit.