Pages : 1 2 [3]

westofyou
02-12-2010, 06:55 PM
Dwight is just not plausible?

TV is supposed to be real?

http://www.affordablehousinginstitute.org/blogs/us/field_flying_nun_small.jpg

yab1112
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
It's okay for TV to be not plausible, as long as the point isn't that it is plausible. The office became such a hit because, for the most part, it had believable characters doing believable things. Over time though, the personalities are being stretched and exaggerated to the point where they're caricatures of what they were.

Kingspoint
02-12-2010, 08:33 PM
They're definitely in a transition. At least it looked like there was some direction last night. But, they're a long way from getting out of it. They're really close to ending this show if they don't do something about it.

I thought they totally screwed up when they had the chance for Oscar to save the company with his "plan". That could have led to a promotion of Oscar to Corporate, Jim as Manager of another branch, and opened up a whole group of dynamics in Jim's new branch, along with dynamics changing in the Scranton Branch with Jim gone.

The Operator
02-12-2010, 09:22 PM
It's okay for TV to be not plausible, as long as the point isn't that it is plausible. The office became such a hit because, for the most part, it had believable characters doing believable things. Over time though, the personalities are being stretched and exaggerated to the point where they're caricatures of what they were.

Bingo.

gilpdawg
02-13-2010, 03:08 AM
Joe Camel looks like a penis. So when I see Joe Camel, I think of a penis....and vice versa.

Kingspoint
02-13-2010, 05:15 PM
Bingo.

Except that from Day 1, Michael would have been fired for what he did on every episode. He was never plausible.

kaldaniels
02-14-2010, 01:24 AM
Plausible...?

The minute you turn on the TV you are throwing plausible out the window. On every fictional TV show in history with over 100 episodes, there are going to be implausible scenarios. If you want to say a certain show is getting more and more implausible...I can see that. But to turn one's nose up because a show is not plausible...c'mon, theres not one out there that is 100 percent. Like someone posted, even the early Office eps weren't realistic...Michael would not have a job. I get it...the Office at first was based on the subtle humor of office politics, and it has gotten away from that. But it was never plausible for a extended amount of time.

TRF
02-14-2010, 04:57 PM
my boss planted a listening device in his office while he was at a seinar to spy on the rest of the office. left his door open so he could see/hear us with his video conferencing phone.

i kid you not.

Kingspoint
02-14-2010, 08:30 PM
my boss planted a listening device in his office while he was at a seinar to spy on the rest of the office. left his door open so he could see/hear us with his video conferencing phone.

i kid you not.

Thus begs the question....at what point did you/the office find out? And, did you have some fun with it?

TRF
02-14-2010, 08:49 PM
Thus begs the question....at what point did you/the office find out? And, did you have some fun with it?

it was pretty obvious. he left his door open, instructed that it not be closed. He's ex-military intelligence, and runs our IT division like he's still a colonel.

And no, we didn't have fun with it. He's a firing type.

Kingspoint
02-19-2010, 07:23 AM
I thought, "The Office" was supposed to be on last night "following the Olympics". Well, there was no "Office" after the Olympics, just the News.

Tony Cloninger
03-19-2010, 11:02 PM
So it has come to this that no more posts are being made on this show?

Is anybody watching anymore?

reds1869
03-19-2010, 11:31 PM

I punted a long time ago. It simply became unwatchable for me.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-19-2010, 11:35 PM

I still watch it and like it, but it's not often that it's LOL funny to me anymore. NBC still has a good thursday night lineup though IMO. I'm loving Community and Parks and Recreation.

MWM
03-19-2010, 11:47 PM
I watched this week for the first time in a while (and I used to be VERY loyal) as I'm traveling this week and was in my room with nothing else on. I found it entirely unfunny. Not sure when exactly it happened, but it evolved into plots that were way too far down the parody spectrum to be taken seriously.

I think the main thing that turned me away was that I grew tired of Steve Carrell. He was funny for a while, but his sctick is one that has a limited shelf-life and he's not very versatile. I saw a trailer of the new movie he's in with Tine Fey and he sounds exactly like Michael Scott in that role too. I just don't find him funny anymore.

Redsfaithful
03-20-2010, 06:57 PM
Show ran it's course, nothing wrong with that. It happens. Seasons 1-3 were outstanding.

bucksfan2
03-20-2010, 07:08 PM
I love it. Thanks to the magic of DVR I don't miss an episode.

RichRed
03-21-2010, 12:19 PM
I still watch it and like it, but it's not often that it's LOL funny to me anymore. NBC still has a good thursday night lineup though IMO. I'm loving Community and Parks and Recreation.

"Community" is now the funniest show on TV, in my opinion, at least of the shows I've actually watched.

Unassisted
03-21-2010, 10:34 PM
"Community" is now the funniest show on TV, in my opinion, at least of the shows I've actually watched.I like "Community," but I love "Modern Family" on ABC.

RichRed
03-22-2010, 03:00 PM
I like "Community," but I love "Modern Family" on ABC.

That's another good one. Ed O'Neill is great.

Eric_the_Red
03-22-2010, 03:46 PM
I would put Parks & Recreation, Big Bang Theory and The Middle all above The Office these days.

RBA
03-23-2010, 12:46 AM
I like Community, Modern Family, and the Big Bang Theory. 30 Rock is alright.

Tom Servo
03-23-2010, 02:11 AM
I'm a huge Community and Parks and Recreation fan. Community reminds me of classic Simpsons and Parks reminds me of 'classic' Office. 30 Rock's best days were in it's first two years but it's still a funny show.

The Operator
03-26-2010, 04:50 AM
Anybody watch tonight?

It was okay I guess. Michael was pretty painful though.

Tony Cloninger
03-26-2010, 09:47 AM
I did. It is painful to watch someone who cannot just be himself and have no clue or idea how he comes off to other people.

The Dwight and Angela scenario was funny though. Dwight's got some game. He has hooked up with a basketball player at a club, a girl at a wedding and now this girl. All tall...attractive women.

RichRed
03-26-2010, 10:21 AM
Dwight's got some game. He has hooked up with a basketball player at a club, a girl at a wedding and now this girl. All tall...attractive women.

This girl was the same one from the wedding, I think.

WMR
03-26-2010, 03:27 PM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good. However, the Andy/Receptionist-girl plot line is stupid and has been getting progressively stupider for awhile now.

dougdirt
03-26-2010, 04:04 PM
I thought last night's episode was pretty good. However, the Andy/Receptionist-girl plot line is stupid and has been getting progressively stupider for awhile now.

I enjoy the Andy and Erin plot.

Joseph
03-26-2010, 04:31 PM
I like Andy and Erin. If they had dragged it out for seasons and seasons like Jim and Pam it would have been lame and redundant, but they are trying to give it a different spin since they are different characters obviously.

Michael has become something that is just odd and uncomfortable to watch.

GIK
03-26-2010, 04:43 PM
The only thing that makes me live with Michael are his infrequent moments of clarity (e.g. negotiating the 'sale' of his paper company and his/Pam/Ryan rehire to Dunder Mifflin). Loved that.

ABEsolutely
03-27-2010, 11:35 PM
I thought it was good this week. Best one in a while. Plus, Community was funnier that usual (in my opinion), and Parks was awesome again. Parks is the best.

Razor Shines
03-28-2010, 01:08 AM
I thought it was good this week. Best one in a while. Plus, Community was funnier that usual (in my opinion), and Parks was awesome again. Parks is the best.

I agree about the Office, but I thought Community was a little off this week and I just don't really like Parks.

dougdirt
03-28-2010, 01:24 AM
I agree about the Office, but I thought Community was a little off this week and I just don't really like Parks.

Really? I love Parks. Aziz Ansari may be the funniest man on tv right now.

Razor Shines
03-28-2010, 02:04 AM
Really? I love Parks. Aziz Ansari may be the funniest man on tv right now.

I love Aziz. I was listening to his stand up album just earlier today. Maybe I need to give that show another shot. I tried to get into it last year, but just didn't like it. I haven't seen many episodes from this season. I really don't think Amy Poehler is funny, she's the main reason I stopped watching.

RichRed
03-28-2010, 01:34 PM

I thought so too, and I'm pretty sure I jinxed it by calling it the funniest show on TV.

redsfan1966
03-28-2010, 06:00 PM
30 Rock is definitely the funniest show right now---The Office only is good for a half hour of cringing anymore...

ABEsolutely
03-29-2010, 09:02 AM
I love Aziz. I was listening to his stand up album just earlier today. Maybe I need to give that show another shot. I tried to get into it last year, but just didn't like it. I haven't seen many episodes from this season. I really don't think Amy Poehler is funny, she's the main reason I stopped watching.

Well I thought the same thing last season. My wife really liked it, so I kept watching with her. Now it's my favorite show on TV. Maybe I just got used to it (and Amy Poehler).

TheNext44
03-29-2010, 06:14 PM
Well I thought the same thing last season. My wife really liked it, so I kept watching with her. Now it's my favorite show on TV. Maybe I just got used to it (and Amy Poehler).

The show got re-shaped during the offseason, with more emphasis on the side characters, like Tom, Andy, Audrey, Jerry and my favorite, Ron Swanson. I mean, why would anyone eat anything else besides breakfast food?

The Operator
04-23-2010, 09:56 AM
I gotta say, I laughed harder at last night's episode than I had in a long time.

At the end where Kevin did an impression of Gabe had me rolling. "I'm Gabe and I'm going to apologize because corporate told me too. Ciao. I say ciao because I'm fancy, from Tallahassee. Ciao... Ciao..."

RichRed
04-23-2010, 10:42 AM
Michael: "Excuse me, I asked for pickles on my burger and you only put like 5 or 6 of them on there."

That cracked me up for some reason.

BuckeyeRed27
04-23-2010, 12:03 PM
"My last job was at a Taco Bell Express, but then it became a full Taco Bell and I dunno I just couldn't keep up."

Tony Cloninger
04-23-2010, 12:17 PM
Being one who HATES pickles on a burger.....that made me laugh and gag.

The Operator
04-30-2010, 12:31 AM
Well, they certainly followed up last week's decent episode with a dud tonight. I don't think I laughed even once. It really was painful.

Did anyone else feel the same way while watching?

Chip R
04-30-2010, 12:40 AM
I forgot it was on.

KronoRed
04-30-2010, 12:44 AM
Anyone else catch that Carell doesn't think he'll be staying on after next year?
http://www.officetally.com/steve-carell-to-leave-the-office-after-season-7
He probably should have jumped from the sinking ship earlier.

gilpdawg
04-30-2010, 07:24 AM
I don't think it's as bad as some are saying. I still love the show. It's dropped a little bit, but it's still a good show. It's lost a little off the fastball, but still worthy. That said, if Carell is leaving after next season, it's time to wrap it up. Ed Helms is the star of that show for me anyway.

bucksfan2
04-30-2010, 09:41 AM
I still watch it and look forward to it every week. I do think the show has lost a little luster over the past 6 or so episodes. I though Dwight was back when he tore apart Jim's kitchen but he hasn't gotten back to his old self. I think the Jim and Pam marriage was where they had to go but they have struggled with those two.

I think the Nard dog has some great episodes but them some poor ones. I do love Kevin though. The cookie monster was great.

dougdirt
04-30-2010, 06:32 PM
I loved last nights episode. Michael is so uncomfortably funny at times it hurts.

TheNext44
05-01-2010, 02:27 AM
Anyone else catch that Carell doesn't think he'll be staying on after next year?
http://www.officetally.com/steve-carell-to-leave-the-office-after-season-7
He probably should have jumped from the sinking ship earlier.

Ironically, the only way the show could survive. He was he heart and soul of the show, but his character has run it's course. Time to bring some fresh blood into the mix. It worked great when they brought in Helms, who actually replaced him in the Daily Show, so it's kinda poetic if he takes over this show for him.

bucksfan2
05-03-2010, 10:47 AM
Ironically, the only way the show could survive. He was he heart and soul of the show, but his character has run it's course. Time to bring some fresh blood into the mix. It worked great when they brought in Helms, who actually replaced him in the Daily Show, so it's kinda poetic if he takes over this show for him.

I wonder if Michael can play a similar role to what Ryan did for a couple of seasons. Gone but not gone, just in fewer episodes.

The Operator
05-03-2010, 02:23 PM
Yea, maybe they could move Michael to a corporate position or something. That would help a lot, I think. His character is becoming so painful for me to watch - and not in a good way anymore.

I don't know who would take over as branch manager though - not sure I can handle another season of Dwight and Ryan trying to take down Jim.

Maybe they're setting Kelly up as the next branch manager with the recent executive training thing, that would be... a trip.

Chip R
05-03-2010, 02:36 PM
Maybe they should just let the show die a peaceful death.

TheNext44
05-03-2010, 03:13 PM
Maybe they should just let the show die a peaceful death.

Considering how long NBC kept milking "Friends", well after it had died creatively, I'd say odds are slim on that. Those last three years of "Friends" are painful to watch, and I think NBC would have continued the show even longer, if the actors hadn't wanted to move on.

Chip R
05-03-2010, 04:27 PM
Considering how long NBC kept milking "Friends", well after it had died creatively, I'd say odds are slim on that. Those last three years of "Friends" are painful to watch, and I think NBC would have continued the show even longer, if the actors hadn't wanted to move on.

Yeah, you're probably right. I would guess the majority of the cast aren't going to exactly be on the A list when it comes to casting. But the ones that are doing other projects had better watch out or they are going to be typecast as their characters on the show.

WMR
05-03-2010, 04:30 PM
I still enjoy the show quite a bit. I guess I've tempered my expectations for the show somewhat. The ancillary characters are probably what I enjoy the most at this point. Kevin, Creed, and Darrell.

KronoRed
05-03-2010, 04:34 PM

True, but NBC has an entire night of established bad shows on Thursday that could slide into the 9:00pm slot.

Kingspoint
05-03-2010, 09:37 PM

As opposed to some other years?

1990REDS
05-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I still watch it and look forward to it every week. I do think the show has lost a little luster over the past 6 or so episodes. I though Dwight was back when he tore apart Jim's kitchen but he hasn't gotten back to his old self. I think the Jim and Pam marriage was where they had to go but they have struggled with those two.

I think the Nard dog has some great episodes but them some poor ones. I do love Kevin though. The cookie monster was great.

I thought the cookie monster episode was hilarious!! C is for suspension!!

Tony Cloninger
05-21-2010, 01:00 AM
I think the last few episodes...leading to the finale...have been very good.

They have been on target with most of the premises and it has not been too out of control or trying too hard.

I remember Seinfeld had the same problem for a year or 2....where everything...even for that sitcom ...became way too over the top or cartoonish.

The Operator
09-24-2010, 01:32 PM
Anybody catch the season premiere last night?

It had some wierd moments but overall I liked it. Not sure about the whole Erin dating Gabe thing... Gabe is one of the creepiest characters in any show I've ever been a fan of.

redsmetz
09-24-2010, 01:37 PM
Anybody catch the season premiere last night?

It had some wierd moments but overall I liked it. Not sure about the whole Erin dating Gabe thing... Gabe is one of the creepiest characters in any show I've ever been a fan of.

Overall, I was surprised at how good it was overall. I wasn't put off by the Gabe/Erin thing; it freshens things up a bit and they're both so offbeat. Gabe can't be any creepier than Dwight. I thought it was a pretty fresh script, much better than some from last year. I'd encourage folks to watch the opening scene which was really fun.

KOBasinger
09-24-2010, 01:50 PM
Gabe is a weird dude. I would've rather seen Erin dating Andy still. But other than that, the show was great. Definitely had some funny parts to it.

RBA
09-24-2010, 05:23 PM
I didn't expect the Gabe/Erin relationship until about 10 seconds before it was revealed. Good twist.

Chip R
09-24-2010, 06:04 PM
I thought the beginning was clever and well done. Of course it goes against the basic premise of the show but that horse has left the barn a few years ago.

The rest was pretty funny. Typical Michael sticking up for his nephew when everyone else hated him. Kind of funny he's going to be counseled by Toby. Didn't see Gabe and Erin coming. Liked Andy's TH about the situation.

Kingspoint
09-24-2010, 07:20 PM
Liked the opening scene of Pam jumping up and down. They seemed to be milking that for a long time.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/nepotism/1251024/

Seriously though, it was a great opening scene.

Unassisted
09-25-2010, 07:09 PM
It bothers me that Dwight is now more psychotic than funny. Also, Dwight being able to afford that office building seems awfully improbable.

bucksfan2
09-27-2010, 01:22 PM
Liked the opening scene of Pam jumping up and down. They seemed to be milking that for a long time.

http://www.nbc.com/The_Office/video/nepotism/1251024/

Seriously though, it was a great opening scene.

I did think that was odd. I don't think Pam has ever been that type of character. To be honest I think that may be the best she has ever looked on the show.

Liked the Dwight angle. It was a little odd when he was waiving around the knife, but I think Dwight owning the building has some promise to it.

Pam getting Kevin to hot wire the elevator is another good one. Kevin, really?

cincrazy
09-27-2010, 02:40 PM
I thought it was pretty good, but still not as good as some old episodes. I didn't start watching The Office regularly until probably the last 6 months, so I've done a ton of DVRing old episodes, while not catching many of the newer ones. But the newer episodes I have caught have left me disappointed.

It's still a good show, and I don't want to see it cancelled by any means. But I think it's reached a plateau and needs to do something to mix things up.

The Operator
09-28-2010, 12:48 AM
Pam getting Kevin to hot wire the elevator is another good one. Kevin, really?I loved the "Let me just check the Circus Board..." line. Classic.

Chip R
01-19-2011, 05:39 PM
Ricky Gervais is definitely going to be on an episode as David Brent although it looks like he won't be on for long.

http://www.tvline.com/2011/01/scoop-ricky-gervais-reclaims-his-office-job/

RBA
01-19-2011, 05:54 PM
In stereo.

Kingspoint
01-20-2011, 06:55 PM
New episode tonight [and Outsourced, too, but on at a new time (10:30)].

For those who like Community and 30 Rock, new episodes tonight of those two, also, along with a pilot of something else at 8:30, I think.

BuckeyeRed27
01-20-2011, 08:14 PM
New episode tonight [and Outsourced, too, but on at a new time (10:30)].

For those who like Community and 30 Rock, new episodes tonight of those two, also, along with a pilot of something else at 8:30, I think.

Don't forget Parks and Rec, which is the best of all of those shows.

dougdirt
01-21-2011, 12:21 AM
Really enjoyed the NBC lineup from 9-10 tonight.

RBA
01-26-2011, 08:24 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/will-ferrell-helping-steve-carells-exit-from-the-office/

EXCLUSIVE: Will Ferrell has committed to a four-episode arc on NBC's comedy The Office. He will play a branch manager who comes from the home office and is just as inappropriate as Steve Carell's Michael Scott character. NBC is still figuring out exactly when the episodes will air, but Ferrell has committed to one episode beyond Carell’s finale, to help create a bridge

kaldaniels
01-26-2011, 08:29 PM
http://www.deadline.com/2011/01/will-ferrell-helping-steve-carells-exit-from-the-office/

Outstanding.

Kingspoint
01-27-2011, 01:42 PM
Outstanding.

Makes me want to puke.

Will Farrell has no talent, and he's not funny.

It's going to be like Chevy Chase trying to be a talk show host.

BuckeyeRed27
01-27-2011, 01:50 PM
I'm excited. Will Ferrell is hilarious. He's at his best when he's a role player like in Old School and given the cast that's how he'll fit in here too.

Razor Shines
01-27-2011, 01:52 PM
Makes me want to puke.

I understand that he's annoying to some people. But no talent?

I can see that he's worn thin on people with all the movies but I thought he was brilliant on SNL. And in terms of comedy does it get much better than Anchor Man?

bucksfan2
01-27-2011, 04:17 PM
I can see Will Farrell play a similar role to Todd Packer (David Koechner). I think that can be very very funny.

KronoRed
01-27-2011, 06:02 PM
Makes me want to puke.

Good thing The Office hasn't been funny in a long time ;)

Strikes Out Looking
01-27-2011, 08:47 PM
Don't forget Parks and Rec, which is the best of all of those shows.

I hope tonight's episode is a good as last weeks. I've been saying "Ann Perkins" for a full week now.

Razor Shines
01-27-2011, 11:22 PM
I hope tonight's episode is a good as last weeks. I've been saying "Ann Perkins" for a full week now.

"I typed your symptoms into this thing and it says you may be experiencing connectivity issues."

Joseph
01-27-2011, 11:50 PM
Well that was fairly uneventful in terms of Ricky Gervais.

Chip R
01-28-2011, 10:12 AM

It was but it was interesting to see.

Kingspoint
01-30-2011, 12:53 AM
I understand that he's annoying to some people. But no talent?

I can see that he's worn thin on people with all the movies but I thought he was brilliant on SNL. And in terms of comedy does it get much better than Anchor Man?

SNL is certainly a different format.

Obviously, it's just me and my tastes as he sells tickets. "Elf" wasn't too bad.

Kingspoint
01-30-2011, 12:55 AM
Good thing The Office hasn't been funny in a long time ;)

It's kind of like "The Truman Show"...."Well, let's see what's on now?", or whatever the line was that the two warehousmen said at the end of the show.

Tony Cloninger
01-30-2011, 11:24 PM
You are not kidding....the episode was very un-funny. Man that show is almost embarrassing to watch now. Maybe i see too many of the 2005-2007 reruns....but it's just such a drop off. Everything seems forced.

RBA
02-04-2011, 03:05 PM
You are not kidding....the episode was very un-funny. Man that show is almost embarrassing to watch now. Maybe i see too many of the 2005-2007 reruns....but it's just such a drop off. Everything seems forced.

I did see a couple brief funny moments.

You didn't laugh when Micheal's picture is posted on the wall of "thieves" and then the camera pans down to Creed? :D

Tony Cloninger
02-04-2011, 08:27 PM
There so few and far between that they barely get noticed.

RichRed
02-06-2011, 12:22 PM
I think part of the problem is that they've managed to make almost every character unlikeable. Even Oscar is a jerk now.

KoryMac5
02-06-2011, 12:29 PM
I haven't watched in sooo long, it got to the point where it stopped being funny and turned into uncomfortable. I may click on to see Will come in but I feel like some of his characters get old and tired.

Cuban_Missile
02-08-2011, 03:50 PM

I think that was part of the point to be so uneventful that it would have gone unnoticed if you didn't know who Ricky Gervais is and about the British Office.

redsmetz
04-11-2011, 08:03 AM
Interesting piece in yesterday's Times about Will Farrell doing four episodes of The Office as Steve Carell makes his exit.

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/10/arts/television/will-ferrell-follows-steve-carell-in-the-office.html

redsmetz
04-15-2011, 10:40 AM
So who watched the first episode with Will Farrell last night? I enjoyed the opening scene and they set up the physical side of the phone conversation to make it a bit plausible (in the sense "The Office" makes anything plausible). Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I think Carrel has one more episode after this one.

My wife said the scene with Erin and answering the phone reminded her of the scene in "A League of Their Own" with Tom Hanks and Gina Davis giving competing signs for the at bat.

redsmetz
04-15-2011, 10:41 AM
NM - duplicate post

VR
04-16-2011, 01:59 AM
So who watched the first episode with Will Farrell last night? I enjoyed the opening scene and they set up the physical side of the phone conversation to make it a bit plausible (in the sense "The Office" makes anything plausible). Should be interesting to see how it plays out. I think Carrel has one more episode after this one.

My wife said the scene with Erin and answering the phone reminded her of the scene in "A League of Their Own" with Tom Hanks and Gina Davis giving competing signs for the at bat.

I thought it was great. The Andy bits were fantastic, lots of very subtle humor (turtles!) and the 'over the top' uncomfortable moments didn't exist in this episode.

RiverRat13
04-16-2011, 02:58 PM
I thought it was great. The Andy bits were fantastic, lots of very subtle humor (turtles!) and the 'over the top' uncomfortable moments didn't exist in this episode.

I thought it was very good as well. I was afraid that both Carell and Ferrell would be completely over the top but Ferrell definitely played it straighter and I thought it worked out perfectly.

gilpdawg
04-30-2011, 04:30 AM
Well, since Steve Carell is gone, I think this is a good time to post this.
http://www.theofficestuff.com/images/pics/twss.jpg

RBA
05-01-2011, 02:45 PM
Well, since Steve Carell is gone, I think this is a good time to post this.
http://www.theofficestuff.com/images/pics/twss.jpg

He'll be back for Andy's wedding. In 2 years.

RiverRat13
05-01-2011, 02:49 PM

I would guess he'll be back for the series finale in two years.

redsfanmia
05-01-2011, 03:56 PM
I actually think that this show is getting better now, it will be interesting to see who will take over for Mike Scott long term.

Joseph
05-01-2011, 04:02 PM
I actually think that this show is getting better now, it will be interesting to see who will take over for Mike Scott long term.

Is there a long term future though?

Scrap Irony
05-01-2011, 06:47 PM
I could imagine a roving band of branch managers, with big-name guest stars trying to fill Michael's shoes.

A three or four episode arc would be easy money, fun to do, and fairly painless for the payoff.

redsfanmia
05-01-2011, 08:12 PM
Is there a long term future though?

Probably not, I mean they have already done basically everything that means its jumped the shark other than bring in Ted McGinnley and a smart mouthed 8 year old to work in the office.

RBA
05-01-2011, 11:03 PM
I could imagine a roving band of branch managers, with big-name guest stars trying to fill Michael's shoes.

A three or four episode arc would be easy money, fun to do, and fairly painless for the payoff.

I think Louie Depalma might make an interesting office boss.

KronoRed
05-02-2011, 12:03 AM

This show will dead and gone in 1 year.

Unassisted
05-02-2011, 02:09 PM
This show will dead and gone in 1 year.NBC needs the show anchoring their schedule too badly to give up on it that quickly. I could see them let it limp along for more than 10 years, like ER did. I'm also not convinced that Steve Carell will be so terribly hard to replace.

Razor Shines
05-02-2011, 07:59 PM
I think Louie Depalma might make an interesting office boss.

Hey, devito has a job and I don't want to see him leave it. Although, I think it would be funny.

RedsManRick
05-02-2011, 10:08 PM
Have any other shows seen turnover at the lead this deep in to the series and then gone on to put up quality years afterwards?

dabvu2498
05-02-2011, 10:28 PM
Have any other shows seen turnover at the lead this deep in to the series and then gone on to put up quality years afterwards?

MASH, though there wasn't one lead, had lots of significant turnover amongst the cast and kept it up.

edabbs44
05-02-2011, 11:03 PM
Lead is tough...here are a few major characters I can think of:

Cheers - Diane and Coach
Fresh Price - Aunt Viv (not the character, just the actress)
South Park - Kenny, multiple times
ER - Tons of people

bucksfan2
05-03-2011, 09:32 AM

The key question is how important to the show is Michael Scott. I think over the past few years Michael has actually become a drain on the show. I was sad to see him go, but think the show can grow from where it was. You have 3 characters who could take a more prominent role in Jim, Andy, and Dwight.

As long as they don't give it to someone in house (the Jim fiasco) the show should be good. It will need a different dynamic but it I think it can be very successful.

Unassisted
05-03-2011, 12:47 PM
Have any other shows seen turnover at the lead this deep in to the series and then gone on to put up quality years afterwards?The thing is, he's not "the lead," because it's an ensemble cast. That's why ER is such a great parallel for the way this could go, IMO.

ER survived just fine without Clooney, Edwards, Margulies, etc. Just like The Office could survive without Michael, Jim and Pam.

By the end of ER, none of the leads who started with the show were still there. Since both shows center on a workplace, rather than the home lives of the characters, it makes perfect sense that people would move on from that workplace, just as they do IRL.

Tony Cloninger
05-03-2011, 12:52 PM
I forgot ER was even still until 2008....when TNT was showing the repeats (They took them off abruptly and now are beginning to do it with L & O)

I started watching it and forgot how good the show was.....but it needed to end and it did pretty well.

RBA
05-03-2011, 01:51 PM
Happy Days went on for a couple years without Richie Cunningham. However, Laverne and Shirley, without Shirley was a disaster.

RBA
05-03-2011, 01:53 PM
Mayberry RFD, flopped. Pretty much the same show without Andy Griffith.

Chip R
05-03-2011, 04:48 PM
Mayberry RFD, flopped. Pretty much the same show without Andy Griffith.

Perhaps but at the time CBS got rid of all their rural shows: Beverly Hillbillies, Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, etc.

http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/753015/the_rural_purge_the_year_cbs_gave_the.html?cat=37 (http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/753015/the_rural_purge_the_year_cbs_gave_the.html?cat=37)

yab1112
05-04-2011, 11:39 AM
I thought Steve Carrel's final episode was great. Sure, the show isn't what it used to be but I'm still going to miss Micheal Scott.

Something I only caught the second time I watched the episode, As Micheal is taking off his mic at the airport, he says "It's going to feel so good to get this off my chest" then, after he hands the mic over, he says something but you can't hear him. If you read his lips, you can see he's saying "That's what she said" :laugh:

Strikes Out Looking
05-06-2011, 02:22 PM
The dunk at the end last night was classic.

marcshoe
05-12-2011, 10:29 PM
Creeeed!!!!!

First time I've laughed out loud in a while.

yab1112
05-13-2011, 03:36 AM
Creeeed!!!!!

First time I've laughed out loud in a while.

Caught me off guard but I was laughing too. Next week should be a great episode with Creed + all the guest stars. Can't wait :thumbup:

redsfanmia
05-13-2011, 03:35 PM
I really like the way they are going, more/any Creed is a good thing.

5TimeWSChamps
05-17-2011, 04:50 PM
Last week's episode was the best in 2 years. I've long been of the opinion that Steve Carell jumped the shark two years ago with his character and it needed a change. Hopefully they don't bring a name guy in to take over.

marcshoe
05-17-2011, 08:43 PM
I was expecting Will Arnett, but I see he has another show on NBC's fall schedule.

Joseph
05-17-2011, 10:07 PM
If its Will Arnett I won't watch anymore. Has there ever been a less funny person who made money from comedy?

RBA
05-18-2011, 12:58 AM
If its Will Arnett I won't watch anymore. Has there ever been a less funny person who made money from comedy?

I don't know, I have recently started watching Arrested Development on Netflix and he is pretty funny in that.

Razor Shines
05-18-2011, 01:16 AM

Sure, sure the guy on the message board says that the guy in the $7800 suit isn't funny. Come on!

He has a new show starting on nbc in the fall, so it won't be him. Unfortunately.

.....just noticed that was mentioned above

And to answer the question: Yes, his wife.

Chip R
05-18-2011, 01:17 AM
I saw where they will not say who the new manager is until fall.

Razor Shines
05-18-2011, 01:19 AM
I'm still holding out hope that its portia Di rossi.

yab1112
05-18-2011, 03:03 AM
Sure, sure the guy on the message board says that the guy in the $7800 suit isn't funny. Come on!

:laugh:

RichRed
05-18-2011, 02:01 PM
I'm still holding out hope that its portia Di rossi.

Or Scott Baio.

Razor Shines
05-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Or Scott Baio.

Or Henry Winkler

Unassisted
05-18-2011, 03:29 PM
I'd vote for James Spader. It would give the show a creepy vibe and set the boss role up as a comedic villain rather than a buffoon.

KronoRed
05-18-2011, 05:11 PM
My guess is they go with a revolving door, or make one of the writer/actors the boss.

Tony Cloninger
05-20-2011, 12:15 PM
I'd vote for James Spader. It would give the show a creepy vibe and set the boss role up as a comedic villain rather than a buffoon.

Agreed.

Jim Carrey showing up made me laugh.

Strikes Out Looking
05-20-2011, 12:57 PM
My guess is Jim Halpert. Dwight dressing up as the French guy was pretty fun; especially because they've made the Jo character see right through him.

Or I'd just leave Creed in as manager -- he was hilarious and it gave Pam something to do.

RBA
05-20-2011, 01:38 PM
The rumor is Catherine Tate will get the job. She was the worst of the bunch.

Joseph
05-20-2011, 02:20 PM
The rumor is Catherine Tate will get the job. She was the worst of the bunch.

Agreed. And this from a guy who can't stand Will Arnett.

redsfanmia
05-20-2011, 08:24 PM
All sign point to the Nard Dog getting it, so it wont be him. I hope they go with an outside character. This show has new life without Michael Scott bogging it down.

05-20-2011, 08:36 PM
My guess is they go with a revolving door, or make one of the writer/actors the boss.

This makes the most sense ratings wise.

Easy to get big names for a 4 episode block, plus people will tune in to see whose next.

kaldaniels
05-20-2011, 08:41 PM
I could see a grassroot internet campaign of support for Spader pop up soon.

marcshoe
05-20-2011, 11:04 PM
DVR'd but haven't watched this yet. I was surprised when I googled Catherine Tate and saw Donna Noble's picture. Interesting. What's Tom Baker doing these days, I wonder?

Tony Cloninger
05-21-2011, 12:06 AM
Who is the new girl? There is something about her that makes her very sexy and cool.

I like Spader.... do not know who the British lady is at all.

Sweetstop
05-21-2011, 10:38 AM
mr. spader, please.

...ala his role in "secretary".

:)

marcshoe
05-21-2011, 01:25 PM
Who is the new girl? There is something about her that makes her very sexy and cool.

I like Spader.... do not know who the British lady is at all.

She was one of Dr. Who's human assistants. Too bad they didn't go for Billie Piper.

06-24-2011, 05:49 PM
Reports are it's....

Spader. And maybe Tate as well.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2011/06/24/james-spader-the-office/

Joseph
06-25-2011, 03:42 PM
Looks like Spader takes the role of Michael for a short time, then gets into a role more like Kathy Bates with another actor coming in to take on the Regional Manager role. Its not a bad move.

Still hope its not Tate.

redsfanmia
06-25-2011, 07:47 PM
I think Michael Scott leaving will breath new life into the show and maybe it will get better moving forward. I liked the last few episodes and think there is possibility for improvement next season.

RBA
07-06-2011, 04:02 PM
Official NBC news release on Spader:

http://www.nbc.com/news/2011/07/06/multiple-emmy-winner-james-spader-joins-cast-of-nbcs-the-office-as-new-ceo-of-sabre-dunder-mifflin/

Joseph
07-06-2011, 08:01 PM
Good deal

kaldaniels
07-06-2011, 08:08 PM
Spader could concievably win a comedy Emmy if he plays this right. That would make for quite a career.

Brutus
07-06-2011, 08:11 PM
Spader could concievably win a comedy Emmy if he plays this right. That would make for quite a career.

I would have been skeptical of this until I saw the finale. While I'm not a religious watcher of the Office, I enjoy the show and thought it was done for when Carrell left. But seeing Spader's performance in the season finale, I actually think this will be a great fit for he and the show. He did a wonderful job with that character. He was creepy, intellectual and funny.

I think this is a great move if they keep the character exactly as he was portrayed.

yab1112
10-24-2011, 08:51 PM
Anyone watching this season? It's horrendous. As soon as they revealed Andy as the new boss I lost interest. I've disliked his character since they changed him from a "bad guy." I guess his character appeals to some people but I don't get it. I don't see the charm of Ed Helms and his stupid grinface :angry:

http://img.buzznet.com/assets/imgx/1/7/1/4/9/5/7/1/orig-17149571.jpg

redsfanmia
10-24-2011, 09:37 PM
I actually like the new season.

dabvu2498
10-24-2011, 09:41 PM
I actually like the new season.

I do as well, except for the Andy moments. I agree with yab, I find Andy's storylines to be awkward without being funny. We get it with his shortcomings already. Time to move on.

nate
10-24-2011, 10:31 PM
To me, the show has been on a downslope since Pam and Jim got married.

Probably even before that.

It's getting to into "what else is there to watch" territory.

marcshoe
10-25-2011, 10:09 AM

That's where I'm finding myself--watching Community and Parks & Rec, then changing channels, hoping 'Person of Interest' gets better (less formulaic).

RedsManRick
10-25-2011, 08:09 PM

Yep. Any show built largely on sexual tension between two main characters goes downhill once they hook up. It simply causes an inevitable shift in the character of the show.

Brutus
10-26-2011, 12:21 AM
I've been very disappointed thus far. I'm going to give it a few more episodes, but I feel like the show is done with if they don't shift the focus away from Andy.

I loved the teaser they had of Robert California during the finale last year. However, the writers have scripted his character as a bit more subdued so far this season, and haven't focused on his deep intellect as much. It's disappointing for me as I had really high hopes for that persona.

Basically... I think they need to move California into a more active role and push Andy back to a supporting role. While they're trying hard to focus on his inability to find comfort as the boss, it's just not been real interesting for me.

Chip R
10-26-2011, 05:44 PM

I don't think it was necessarily them getting together. They were eventually going to do it and they weren't going to end the series with them getting together like Tim and Dawn on the UK office. The show was/is making too much money to take off the air. There have been some very funny episodes after Jim & Pam got together. The Michael Scott Paper Company episodes were very good.

I will admit it isn't as funny as it used to be but I chalk that up to longevity. Plus there's no real tension anymore. In the UK version, no one liked David Brent except Gareth. David would do and say idiotic things and be the object of ridicule and it was OK because no one liked him. In the US version, Michael was a toned down version of Brent at first. But he evolved to where people more or less tolerated him but there was still humor because he would say/do idiotic things and it was OK because the staff didn't love him despite his best efforts to be loved. Eventually he became beloved and the things he would do or say weren't as funny because the shock value wore off and the staff just accepted what he did.

Andy is basically one of them. He will say and do some odd things but again there's no real conflict between him and the staff. There have been some funny things that have happened but Andy's interaction with others isn't funny.

Kingspoint
11-02-2011, 02:03 AM
I like the newer episodes. Once they got rid of Will Ferrell and concentrated on the regular characters, the show got good again. I always thought too much time was spent on Pam and Jim and now I'm getting what I wanted. The other characters all had potential, and I like what's being done with them. James Spader is perfect for the show, especially the way he's being used.

cinreds21
11-04-2011, 01:32 AM
I just recently got into The Office. My roommate and I started from the pilot about a month ago and finally caught up fully tonight. I haven't gotten tired or annoyed by it. Then again it may because I've watched them all in five weeks and still in love with Pam. I do like Spader's character.

RiverRat13
11-04-2011, 02:31 PM
I might be in the minority, but I think Robert California is a huge upgrade to the Michael Scott of the last few seasons. The series isn't at the level it was the first couple of seasons but it is much improved in comparison to the end of Carrell's run.

jredmo2
11-04-2011, 08:06 PM
I also enjoy Mr. California. So does Salon (http://www.salon.com/2011/11/03/the_zen_of_robert_california/), apparently.

But I totally agree with whoever said they should just make him the head of the Scranton office.

I don't get why they didn't just do that in the first place. Maybe they didn't anticipate the character working as well as he has, or weren't sure and didn't want to go all-in on an unknown, but the plotting would have been a lot more natural if they had simply done that. I mean, at some point they're going to run out of excuses for him to keep dropping by, right?

Does anybody even know why Robert California is operating out of Scranton and not Florida?

RBA
11-04-2011, 08:42 PM
I also enjoy Mr. California. So does Salon (http://www.salon.com/2011/11/03/the_zen_of_robert_california/), apparently.

But I totally agree with whoever said they should just make him the head of the Scranton office.

I don't get why they didn't just do that in the first place. Maybe they didn't anticipate the character working as well as he has, or weren't sure and didn't want to go all-in on an unknown, but the plotting would have been a lot more natural if they had simply done that. I mean, at some point they're going to run out of excuses for him to keep dropping by, right?

Does anybody even know why Robert California is operating out of Scranton and not Florida?

I don't know for sure, but the Office is a big Ensemble cast and at least three are marketable Film actors. To keep this cast together takes an awful lot of money. The more Robert California is on screen, the more demand for monetary compensation. If you are already laying out big money for Andy, Dwight, and Jim, you cannot afford to being laying out more money for Robert. Agents play a part, and at one point Ed Helms agent probably negotiated a bigger role for him based on he could do movies instead. Most of the Office Cast contracts end at the end of this season, so we could see some Firings and Hirings at the end of this season. Maybe Robert California will have a bigger role next year?

RBA
03-02-2012, 12:30 PM
This thread has fallen off the radar. I must admit, I think it is about time to shut the series down. They also want to spin off Dwight to his own show. I don't think that will work out too well.

Strikes Out Looking
03-02-2012, 12:36 PM
This thread has fallen off the radar. I must admit, I think it is about time to shut the series down. They also want to spin off Dwight to his own show. I don't think that will work out too well.

I actually enjoy the show this year more than past years.

bucksfan2
03-02-2012, 01:39 PM
I actually enjoy the show this year more than past years.

I didn't watch last nights episode yet but I have enjoyed this series. I think the Michael Scott character got stale and needed a change. I think the Robert California character is done in a good dosage, not overpowering, but I think that character adds something to the show. More than anything I like Jim and Dwight going at it this year.

RichRed
03-02-2012, 02:08 PM
Last night's episode was the best one in quite some time, I thought.

Ohayou
03-02-2012, 04:17 PM
I think the Robert California character is done in a good dosage, not overpowering, but I think that character adds something to the show.

I hate to burst your bubble, but James Spader is leaving the show.

edabbs44
03-02-2012, 11:12 PM
I am enjoying this season.

Tony Cloninger
03-03-2012, 01:44 AM
The Andy and Erin relationship...or wanna be relationship is very annoying to me. I do not think Erin is that funny at all.

Chip R
03-03-2012, 01:43 PM
The Andy and Erin relationship...or wanna be relationship is very annoying to me. I do not think Erin is that funny at all.

I think she's been the best part of the show this year.

KronoRed
03-22-2012, 07:46 PM
Looks like more people are jumping ship, Rainn Wilson, Paul Lieberstein and Mindy Kaling.
http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/03/the-office-new-showrunner-mindy-kalings-casting-and-no-more-dwight.html
I wonder what it takes to just end it?