PDA

View Full Version : The Office

Pages : [1] 2 3

VI_RedsFan
03-09-2006, 09:14 PM
Does anyone watch the show "The Office" on NBC? It is hilarious. Steve Carell may be the funniest actor on TV. There is a new episode on tonight if anyone is interested in watching it. It should be on in about fifteen minutes, after My Name Is Earl (which is also funny BTW).

Super_Barry11
03-09-2006, 09:30 PM
Does anyone watch the show "The Office" on NBC? It is hilarious. Steve Carell may be the funniest actor on TV. There is a new episode on tonight if anyone is interested in watching it. It should be on in about fifteen minutes, after My Name Is Earl (which is also funny BTW).

Isn't it a rerun?? I think I've seen the one about diversity before.

VI_RedsFan
03-09-2006, 09:47 PM
Isn't it a rerun?? I think I've seen the one about diversity before.

Oh I guess it is. I just started watching it the show anyway (I've downloaded like 10 episodes from this season off iTunes) so I haven't seen this episode before. Is this one from the first or second season?

Super_Barry11
03-09-2006, 10:15 PM
I think it's from the first season... It's so hilarious, though, that I watched it again, and STILL cracked up.

"You wanna go to the beach?"
"Sure."
"You wanna get high?"
"No."
"I think you do, mon."

reds1869
03-10-2006, 08:03 AM
If you like the American version, you absolutely have to see the original British version. It is much funnier, which is saying a lot as The Office is the most hilarious show on television right now. The star of the BBC version is Ricky Gervais, one of the writers of the show.

VI_RedsFan
03-10-2006, 08:51 AM
I think it's from the first season... It's so hilarious, though, that I watched it again, and STILL cracked up.

"You wanna go to the beach?"
"Sure."
"You wanna get high?"
"No."
"I think you do, mon."

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

traderumor
03-10-2006, 10:09 AM
The thing I like is that the show avoids the cliches for sitcoms. For example, there is no gorgeous woman to attract the base male audience. Of course, I can only imagine that an episode would be on sexual harrassment in the workplace if there were with Carell being accused. :laugh:

Further, the actors are very normal appearance wise, which helps the characters they portray be more believable. With the way the boss acts, you have to think that these people have to keep this job because they are questionably employable anywhere else. I find myself sitting there imagining how long I would last with that joker as my boss.

IowaRed
03-10-2006, 11:45 AM
The thing I like is that the show avoids the cliches for sitcoms. For example, there is no gorgeous woman to attract the base male audience. Of course, I can only imagine that an episode would be on sexual harrassment in the workplace if there were with Carell being accused. :laugh:

Further, the actors are very normal appearance wise, which helps the characters they portray be more believable. With the way the boss acts, you have to think that these people have to keep this job because they are questionably employable anywhere else. I find myself sitting there imagining how long I would last with that joker as my boss.

I think Jenna Fischer is gorgeous, although I agree they don't present her character, Pam, that way. I also like the fact that there is the ever present "documentary" camera there. They often hold the camera for an extra few seconds, almost to the point of being uncomfortable, on characters after their initial reaction to a situation. Along with The Simpsons, the best show on TV

VI_RedsFan
03-10-2006, 06:54 PM
One of my favorite moments on this show was when Jim put all of Dwights stuff in the vending machine, including his wallet. Then Jim gave him a bag of dimes to buy it all back. Priceless. :laugh:

SanDiegoRed
03-11-2006, 11:49 AM
This is easily the funniest show on television right now...

VI_RedsFan
03-11-2006, 03:24 PM
This is easily the funniest show on television right now...

I wholeheartedly agree. King Of Queens is the second funniest though, and My Name Is Earl is third funniest. Will And Grace is funny too.

MrCinatit
03-11-2006, 07:03 PM
easily one of my favorites. i was a fan of the UK show before this one hit the air, and have been vary pleased with the way this one has turned out.

WMR
01-01-2008, 05:42 PM
I recently got into The Office since TBS began airing it on Tuesday nights. I got seasons 1-3 on DVD for xmas. I must say, this is the funniest show on television (neck and neck with Curb).

*BaseClogger*
01-01-2008, 08:30 PM
The Office is the funniest show on network tv, but South Park is the funniest show on tv...

Unassisted
01-01-2008, 08:50 PM
Isn't it a rerun?? I think I've seen the one about diversity before.There aren't any more new episodes of The Office in the can. It was one of the first shows to run out of episodes after the strike started, thanks in part to Steve Carell's sick-out to avoid crossing the writers' picket lines.

marcshoe
01-01-2008, 09:50 PM
Man, they must have been pretty far behind if the strike made them run out of episodes in March, 2006! (which is when all the posts on this thread up until number 13 were made....;) )

Gainesville Red
01-01-2008, 09:51 PM
The Office and It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia are the two best things on TV. They're really the only things I make sure I watch.

guttle11
01-01-2008, 11:22 PM
The best part about The Office are the secondary characters. Creed and Kevin are always hilarious. Creed and Darryl have really been the unsung hero of the (short) 4th season, and Kelly has made a nice transition from annoying to hilariously annoying. Toby and Phyllis are great. C-Monster in the Safety Training episode was classic.

I think Kevin locking the bat in the kitchen and saying "I'm...a...hero" is the hardest I've ever laughed during a TV show. Creed trying to act young one of the episodes this year was hilarious, too. "Sometimes you gotta ride the bull. Later, skater." Creed at the Fun run...

"I'm registering in the over 75 division"

"You're over 75?"

"I'll be 83 this year. What is the prize money?"

The main characters and storylines are usually great, but the supporting cast is always tremendous. I'm really sad that the 4th season has been interrupted. It had some over the top moments, but overall it was great. Right up there with most of Season 2.

WMR
01-01-2008, 11:25 PM
Koechner's Todd Packer is another stroke of genius.

WMR
01-01-2008, 11:26 PM
One of my favorite moments is the beginning of the first episode of season 3 when Dwight pretends like he is crying his eyes out mourning the loss of Jim from the Scranton branch then immediately turns serious: FALSE. I DO NOT MISS JIM. :lol:

Caseyfan21
01-02-2008, 01:14 AM
I just got into this show a couple nights ago. My girlfriend and other friends had always talked about it so I tried watching a couple episodes but I just couldn't get into it so I didn't really try after that. I was at my girlfriend's a few nights ago and she had the season 1 DVD so I borrowed it and gave it another chance. I watched all 6 episodes that night in one sitting. I'm definitely a big fan of the show now and I'm going to have to get the season 2 and 3 DVD's so I can keep going after the writer's strike.

Stephenk29
01-02-2008, 04:24 AM
Question. Any word on when the strike will be over? It's pretty much ruining my favorite two shows right now. The is the final season of Scrubs as well, which makes it all the more annoying.

IowaRed
01-02-2008, 08:21 AM
Koechner's Todd Packer is another stroke of genius.

I really hope they write him in to a couple more episodes, Koechner is absolutely perfect in that role.

If you are into bloopers, all 3 season's DVDs contain some very funny moments. I can't believe those people can ever keep a straight face around Rainn Wilson and Steve Carrell.

HumnHilghtFreel
01-02-2008, 08:36 AM
Few things can brighten my day like a dose of Dwight K. Schrute.

MrCinatit
01-02-2008, 08:46 AM
The best part about The Office are the secondary characters. Creed and Kevin are always hilarious. Creed and Darryl have really been the unsung hero of the (short) 4th season, and Kelly has made a nice transition from annoying to hilariously annoying. Toby and Phyllis are great. C-Monster in the Safety Training episode was classic.

It's the secondary characters which have really helped the show thrive as time goes by. Creed is one of the funniest guys around, and it seems that, eventually, they will make a Grassroots reference.
Kevin probably makes me laugh harder, though. Watching him giggle like a schoolboy during any sexual reference is classic.
The scene where Stanly is yelling at Ryan the Temp for talking with his daughter is a classic moment in TV - as is the time Stanly took Ryan on a sales call.
Toby reminds me so much of our HR at work, it is scary.
It is amazing how fresh the show has remained in its forth season - and is one of those very rare shows which has, IMHO, surpassed the original.

Unassisted
01-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Man, they must have been pretty far behind if the strike made them run out of episodes in March, 2006! (which is when all the posts on this thread up until number 13 were made....;) )I missed that. I guess I looked at the last couple of dates and assumed it was a newer thread. :dunno:

Unassisted
01-02-2008, 09:25 AM
Question. Any word on when the strike will be over? It's pretty much ruining my favorite two shows right now. The is the final season of Scrubs as well, which makes it all the more annoying.The last negotiating session in December did not go well, as one side got up and walked away from the bargaining table. The informed speculation I've read from Hollywood executives quoted in the media predicts this strike will last longer than the '88 WGA strike, which went on for 5 months.

IowaRed
01-02-2008, 12:23 PM
Steve Carrell actually cited a specific medical condition when calling in sick, so as not to cross the picket lines. I won't repeat it here but you can find it on IMDB, under The Office "Trivia"

Handofdeath
01-02-2008, 02:12 PM
I watch it when I can, which isn't often. I just started paying attention last year. I am totally smitten with the character Pam and Jenna Fischer and being a big fan of the Grass Roots I like Creed as well.

redsfan1966
01-02-2008, 07:38 PM
I am a huge fan of The Office...I just am holding out hope that the Jim and Pam romance will not ruin the show and that the romance will not go horribly wrong for shock value...in fact, I hope it just kind of gets down played and linger in the background...also, I'm not so sure how they can keep up the documentary angle...why would someone document a paper company for 4 years??? It may be time to go more straight sitcom and throw out the talking to the camera...

Handofdeath
01-03-2008, 03:14 PM
I am a huge fan of The Office...I just am holding out hope that the Jim and Pam romance will not ruin the show and that the romance will not go horribly wrong for shock value...in fact, I hope it just kind of gets down played and linger in the background...also, I'm not so sure how they can keep up the documentary angle...why would someone document a paper company for 4 years??? It may be time to go more straight sitcom and throw out the talking to the camera...

Breaking the 4th wall has been used for quite a while in comedies going back to the Burns and Allen show in the 50's. For this show I think it really works.

dougdirt
01-03-2008, 03:30 PM
talking to the camera makes the show that much better.

Handofdeath
01-03-2008, 05:52 PM
talking to the camera makes the show that much better.

Watching the moment that Jim finally asks Pam out on a date and her reaction to the camera is just incredibly sweet. You are right it does make the show that much better.

redsfanmia
01-03-2008, 05:59 PM
Any scene with Kevin and or Creed are the absolute best. I love Kevins bands Scrantonicty and Scrantonicity II and loved the episode when Phyllis and Bob Vance got married with them playing the reception, a wonderful show.

westofyou
01-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Breaking the 4th wall has been used for quite a while in comedies going back to the Burns and Allen show in the 50's. For this show I think it really works.

It's Brechian I tell ya.

BTW if you like Jenna Fischer you'll lover her in Dewey Cox... damn funny film.

Razor Shines
01-04-2008, 12:14 AM
My favorite episode is when Michael finds out that Oscar is gay. And when Toby comes into to tell Michael that Oscar is gay.

Toby: Apparently you called Oscar "faggie" for liking the movie Shakespeare in Love more than an action movie.

Michael: It wasn't just an action movie, it was Die Hard!

Toby: All right Michael, but Oscar's really gay.

Michael: Exactly!

Toby: I mean for real.

Michael: Yeah, I know.

Toby: No, I mean he's attracted to other men.

Michael: OK, a little too far, crossed the line.

mole44
01-04-2008, 02:52 AM
So I gave into all the hype, and actually watched this show the other day. And I must say, it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. If someone could please tell me what I'm missing that makes it entertaining, feel free to let me know.

Razor Shines
01-04-2008, 06:58 PM
So I gave into all the hype, and actually watched this show the other day. And I must say, it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. If someone could please tell me what I'm missing that makes it entertaining, feel free to let me know.

Not a big fan of laughing?

But I'm guessing you pretty much come on this site to disagree with the majority, which makes your sig hilariously ironic.

Gainesville Red
01-04-2008, 07:43 PM
And I must say, it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen.

What do you like? What shows are funny?

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
01-04-2008, 08:49 PM
So I gave into all the hype, and actually watched this show the other day. And I must say, it was one of the worst shows I have ever seen. If someone could please tell me what I'm missing that makes it entertaining, feel free to let me know.I was just saying to some buddies of mine the other day that it would be hard to believe that anyone has ever watched the Office and not liked it. We all agreed, and began making a list of people in history who wouldn't have liked it. I will not post the list because it was pretty out there but have you know mole 44 you are now a proud member;)

vaticanplum
01-06-2008, 02:00 PM
Which one is Creed? I'm very bad with names.

My favorite is Stanley, who consistently voices the way I feel pretty much all the time. I was a big fan of the British office and held out on this one for a long time, but it is incredibly good. it's now gone about twice as long as the British version, I think, so the characters have become better developed as well.

Unassisted
01-06-2008, 02:06 PM
I was a big fan of the British office and held out on this one for a long time, but it is incredibly good. it's now gone about twice as long as the British version, I think,
AFAIK, the British version was a 1-season production that was followed up with 2 "holiday special" episodes. At least this is all that is available to borrow from Netflix.

IMO, the British version has its charms and a few completely hilarious moments, but it's more of an acquired taste than the US version. Whenever I watch it, it takes my ears a while to get acclimated to the British idioms in the dialogue. :)

Yachtzee
01-06-2008, 02:08 PM
Which one is Creed? I'm very bad with names.

My favorite is Stanley, who consistently voices the way I feel pretty much all the time. I was a big fan of the British office and held out on this one for a long time, but it is incredibly good. it's now gone about twice as long as the British version, I think, so the characters have become better developed as well.

Creed is the crazy older guy with short white hair. He has a blog.

http://blog.nbc.com/CreedThoughts/

vaticanplum
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
AFAIK, the British version was a 1-season production that was followed up with 2 "holiday special" episodes. At least this is all that is available to borrow from Netflix.

I think the British office was two seasons (or "series" as they call them), plus the holiday specials. That's from my memory though, which isn't always reliable.

And yeah, that Creed guy is a riot. I had no idea that was his name.

dougdirt
01-06-2008, 02:20 PM
The best part about the Office?

Angela is actually named Angela.
Creed Bratton is actually named Creed Bratton.
Phyllis is actually named Phyllis.
Oscar is actually named Oscar.

Betterread
01-06-2008, 02:50 PM
I was a big fan of the British office and held out on this one for a long time, but it is incredibly good. it's now gone about twice as long as the British version, I think, so the characters have become better developed as well.
When I first saw the British Office I had never seen anything like it - the documentary-style filming, the mordant wit, and Ricky Gervais. I didn't like it at first but when I got used to it, I became an admirer.
Ricky Gervais embodied that role. Just as he does in his current series (the Extras - on HBO) he is about the best actor I can think of at playing really unpleasant people. Steve Carrell does a good job, but his coloring is satirical. The American Office is entertaining but it has a satirical distance from the material that the British version was unafraid to get close to. That's the difference I see - the British Office's humor was bitter and corrosive, while the American Office pokes fun.
Office Space is still the best work movie/series.

vaticanplum
01-06-2008, 02:54 PM
When I first saw the British Office I had never seen anything like it - the documentary-style filming, the mordant wit, and Ricky Gervais. I didn't like it at first but when I got used to it, I became an admirer.
Ricky Gervais embodied that role. Just as he does in his current series (the Extras - on HBO) he is about the best actor I can think of at playing really unpleasant people. Steve Carrell does a good job, but his coloring is satirical. The American Office is entertaining but it has a satirical distance from the material that the British version was unafraid to get close to. That's the difference I see - the British Office's humor was bitter and corrosive, while the American Office pokes fun.

I completely agree. I felt physically uncomfortable watching the British version. Ricky Gervais is just painful to watch, and thus somehow completely hysterical.

And, much as I like Jim, there will never be another Martin Freeman. Ever.

MrCinatit
01-06-2008, 06:43 PM
It actually took me a while to watch the US version of the show, I liked the UK version so much. I did not think there was any way anyone could ever replace Gareth.
And you guys are so right in feeling uncomfortable when watching David Brent. A scene where he depressingly tells everyone that they are out of a job because the branch has become redundant - but he still has a job - is a classic. Then there was a dance at a Halloween party...wow.
But, the US The Office has its painfully funny moments, as well. A couple of moments in the first episodes - Diversity Day and Health Care - had me squirming. Watching Michael try to come up with a last minute surprise is simply unforgettable.

Creed is the crazy older guy with short white hair. He has a blog.
http://blog.nbc.com/CreedThoughts/

Wow...classic. Purely classic. His Black Friday blog had me rolling.

kaldaniels
04-06-2008, 11:44 AM
I was wondering...

It seems as if Michael Scott's best known catch phrase is "that's what she said". My question is, do you think most people who watch the show are aware of the fact that his character stole that from Mike Myers? (Myers definetly used the phrase...who knows if Myers got it from anyone)

Chip R
04-06-2008, 11:54 AM
I was wondering...

It seems as if Michael Scott's best known catch phrase is "that's what she said". My question is, do you think most people who watch the show are aware of the fact that his character stole that from Mike Myers? (Myers definetly used the phrase...who knows if Myers got it from anyone)

I think we were using that phrase in high school.

westofyou
04-06-2008, 11:57 AM
I think we were using that phrase in high school.

In the 70's that phrase was alive.

MWM
04-06-2008, 12:42 PM
This is my favorite clip from The Office. Rainn Wilson is brilliant on this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3SBwS8Mds

BTW, you have to watch a few episodes of this before you start to get the characters. This show is all about the characters. The watched a clip here and there before everyone in my office kept talking it up enough that i committed to watching a few eipsoed. I've now watched all episodes (seasons 1-3 on DVD) and it's the best thing on TV. But like Seinfeld, you have to come to know the characters before it becomes really funny. The first couple of times I watched Seifeld, I felt the same way.

Also, I liked it much better before Jim and Pam were dating. The whole Roy and Pam thing with Jim in thebackground was funny. Having Jim and Pam together just takes something away, IMO.

Patrick Bateman
04-06-2008, 01:01 PM
BTW, you have to watch a few episodes of this before you start to get the characters. This show is all about the characters. The watched a clip here and there before everyone in my office kept talking it up enough that i committed to watching a few eipsoed. I've now watched all episodes (seasons 1-3 on DVD) and it's the best thing on TV. But like Seinfeld, you have to come to know the characters before it becomes really funny. The first couple of times I watched Seifeld, I felt the same way.

Also, I liked it much better before Jim and Pam were dating. The whole Roy and Pam thing with Jim in thebackground was funny. Having Jim and Pam together just takes something away, IMO.

Have you ever seen the British version of the Office? That too is very funny. Ricky Gervais plays the boss role far better than Steve Carrell (and Carrell isn't bad at all).

MWM
04-06-2008, 01:41 PM
ACtuall, Steve Carrell is not the reason I like The Offie so much. he's funny, but to me it's the rest of the cast that makes the show. Whoever did the casting for all the roles in the office did a phenomenal job. They're what makes the show so funny, IMO.

WMR
04-06-2008, 01:44 PM
Agreed. The surrounding cast is what makes the show so incredible.

Not to take anything away from Carell, because I can't think of anyone I'd rather have in the role than him.

BTW: It's amazing how much better the show got from the first season to subsequent seasons. The first season was definitely a work in progress.

Patrick Bateman
04-06-2008, 01:56 PM
ACtuall, Steve Carrell is not the reason I like The Offie so much. he's funny, but to me it's the rest of the cast that makes the show. Whoever did the casting for all the roles in the office did a phenomenal job. They're what makes the show so funny, IMO.

I definitely agree... in fact that's what makes Ricky Gervais' character so funny. He's the master of making horribly uncomfortable jokes.

There is nobody quite as deranged as Dwight, but there is a similar ensemble of interesting cast members that have their unique antics. Gervais I think does a better job of being the focal point.

Unassisted
04-06-2008, 03:32 PM
I completely agree. I felt physically uncomfortable watching the British version. Ricky Gervais is just painful to watch, and thus somehow completely hysterical. Ricky's show Extras is a great showcase of his talents, too. The episode of Extras with David Bowie has him interacting with Bowie in a way that is unforgettable.

sonny
04-06-2008, 04:20 PM
This is my favorite clip from The Office. Rainn Wilson is brilliant on this show.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lj3SBwS8Mds

I would have to give John Krasynski the nod there, but it matters little. It is a super show.

FlightRick
04-06-2008, 04:58 PM

I dunno. With Michael and Dwight being mostly absurd/pitable characters, the onus of being genuinely likeable falls on Jim and Pam. And you can't have the two main characters that average folks are supposed to like, relate to, and cheer for (instead of laugh at) essentially acting retarded for 4 seasons in a row.

To continue coming up with ways to keep them apart would have required the characters behaving stupidly. I know I started to get annoyed with two supposedly-intelligent characters failing to recognize the obvious at points during the second season. At least during the third season, they pulled the little plot twist of sending Jim to Stamford for a couple months, alleviating the problem (and, in fact, putting more problems into place so that you could keep things simmering once Jim and Karen returned to the Office).

I figure by the start of the fourth season, it was time. It's not like it's an overpowering part of the show; it's just a matter of fact, leaving space for other storylines and characters to develop. If we still had Jim and Pam being all moon-faced and hopelessly in forbidden love, I don't know as that there'd be room for Ed Helms' new character to be battling Dwight tooth-and-nail for Michael's affections. In terms of "love triangles," it's a trade-off I'm willing to make.

Then again, now that I'm old enough to appreciate it, reruns of "Cheers" have convinced me that the best thing that ever happened to the show was whats-her-name leaving after 3-4 seasons, preventing the show from either succombing to an actual "Very Special Wedding Episode" or rehashing Sam and Diane's same old tricks for 10 years.

Rick

PS: If we're chiming in on Gervais' "Extras," I'll say that if you don't think the Patrick Stewart episode is the funniest one, you can't be my friend.

MWM
04-06-2008, 05:06 PM
Good points, Rick. And my wife and i made the same point while watching Season 3. There's no way the should could realistically keep them apart. But having those two in such a blissfully perfect relationship is a little cheesy and a bit boring. I wonder what they'll do with those two because I wonder how long their little utopian love affair will be able to continue.

Also, agreed on Cheers.

OnBaseMachine
04-06-2008, 05:11 PM
I just recently started watching this show on TBS on Tuesday night. Very, very funny show. I especially liked the episode where they played the pickup basketball game in the basement. Jenna Fischer, AKA Pam, is very nice to look at. ;)

WMR
04-06-2008, 05:14 PM
Don't you love it at the very end when Kevin hits like 10 shots in a row nothing but net?

guttle11
04-06-2008, 05:17 PM
"Ok, starting lineup...Stanley, of course"

"Why 'of course'?"

HumnHilghtFreel
04-06-2008, 05:19 PM
Bears, beets... Battlestar Galactica

:lol:

When is this show due back, I miss it!

WMR
04-06-2008, 05:25 PM
There are some times when Carell is riffing about something (apparently he does a lot of improvising as I've heard in some commentaries on the DVDs) and you can see some of the cast members trying to keep themselves from cracking up, Krasinski in particular.

In the one episode where Phyllis gets flashed, and Carell tells Toby to show him his penis, Krasinski has his hand over his mouth but you can still see a grin behind his hand.

That looks like a show where everyone genuinely has a great time on the set.

kaldaniels
04-06-2008, 05:35 PM
Bears, beets... Battlestar Galactica

:lol:

When is this show due back, I miss it!

Can you say this Thursday? :thumbup:

Yachtzee
04-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Good points, Rick. And my wife and i made the same point while watching Season 3. There's no way the should could realistically keep them apart. But having those two in such a blissfully perfect relationship is a little cheesy and a bit boring. I wonder what they'll do with those two because I wonder how long their little utopian love affair will be able to continue.

Also, agreed on Cheers.

I kind of like how they keep it in the background. I hate it when sitcoms let the relationship stuff take over and it morphs from comedy to "dramedy." My other pet peeve is when comedies start doing the serious "a very special. . ." episode to highlight some cause the actors or writers want to promote. One of the great things about Seinfeld is that they fell into neither the relationship trap nor the "very special episode" trap.

redsfanmia
04-06-2008, 07:25 PM
I just recently started watching this show on TBS on Tuesday night. Very, very funny show. I especially liked the episode where they played the pickup basketball game in the basement. Jenna Fischer, AKA Pam, is very nice to look at. ;)

You should see Walk Hard the Dewey Cox story Pam looks absolutely fabulous in that.

redsfan1966
04-06-2008, 07:52 PM
Thank God The Office is back....I dont mind the Pam and Jim angle...just hope it doesnt turn into a "soap opera"...

GoReds33
04-06-2008, 08:22 PM
To go with what somebody previously said, Carell isn't very funny on the show, but his writing makes the show very funny. There are scenes that you know he wrote that are absolutly hilarious.

HumnHilghtFreel
04-06-2008, 08:24 PM
Carell doesn't have a TON of "lol" moments, but I think in these last few seasons hes done a tremendous job of being the character you can empathize for. It adds that extra dimension to the show that makes it just a little more than your average sit-com, IMO.

Blimpie
04-06-2008, 08:27 PM
"Ok, starting lineup...Stanley, of course"

"Why 'of course'?""Oscar, we'll use you when we do baseball--or boxing..."

paintmered
04-06-2008, 09:25 PM
There are some times when Carell is riffing about something (apparently he does a lot of improvising as I've heard in some commentaries on the DVDs) and you can see some of the cast members trying to keep themselves from cracking up, Krasinski in particular.

In the one episode where Phyllis gets flashed, and Carell tells Toby to show him his penis, Krasinski has his hand over his mouth but you can still see a grin behind his hand.

That looks like a show where everyone genuinely has a great time on the set.

I remember reading somewhere that part of the cast has an improv comedy background and the actors are encouraged to stray from the script.

dougdirt
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM

That is a blasphemous statement!

Yachtzee
04-06-2008, 10:24 PM
I remember reading somewhere that part of the cast has an improv comedy background and the actors are encouraged to stray from the script.

I think a number of them are former Groundlings.

OnBaseMachine
04-07-2008, 11:19 PM
Good stuff here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YLKbXHhGku8&feature=related

bengalsown
04-11-2008, 01:20 AM
Absolute hilarious episode tonight.

The wait was worth it.

Ltlabner
04-11-2008, 07:35 AM
Ok, did Pam announce last night that she was Michaels "former lover"?!?!?!?!

I don't get to see every show, so maybe this is already common knowledge, or an inside joke or something? Maybe Jan went nutty accused them of it?

If it is true, perhaps this is how the Pam/Jim story will come to a screaching hault.

WMR
04-11-2008, 08:17 AM
She was being sarcastic. LOL

Jan has always had this insane jealousy complex where Pam is concerned.

Pam has never done anything w/ Michael.

WMR
04-11-2008, 08:18 AM
The funniest part last night was Jan's former assistant singing about Jan "Making Him a Man."

RawOwl UK
04-11-2008, 09:07 AM
I havn't read the thread from the start but if you are a fan of Ricky Gervais from the English version, try watching his other show called Extra's :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yWuBgWNMUM8

RichRed
04-11-2008, 09:16 AM
The funniest part last night was Jan's former assistant singing about Jan "Making Him a Man."

Was that not the most excruciating - and hilarious - dinner party in TV history?

Ltlabner
04-11-2008, 09:28 AM
She was being sarcastic. LOL

Jan has always had this insane jealousy complex where Pam is concerned.

Pam has never done anything w/ Michael.

Thanks.

That's kinda what I thought based on the way she delivered the line. But since I miss so many episodes I thought maybe a shocker had been revealed.

Benihana
04-11-2008, 09:49 AM
I actually didn't like the episode at all. I think it was the worst Office I've ever seen.

Chip R
04-11-2008, 10:03 AM
http://finance.yahoo.com/career-work/article/104821/What-to-Do-With-a-Boss-Like-Michael-Scott

IowaRed
04-11-2008, 10:07 AM
we had severe weather so the local weather people were on all night. I was able to find a website that had the replay so I listened to it this morning at work but couldn't really watch it. Seemed to be pretty funny but didn't hear Creed and even though Andy was at the dinner party he didn't have many lines and only 1 snippet of scat singing.

MWM
04-11-2008, 10:25 AM
I actually didn't like the episode at all. I think it was the worst Office I've ever seen.

Same here. I thought it was pretty bad.

Unassisted
04-11-2008, 11:34 AM
Same here. I thought it was pretty bad.I was underwhelmed, too. There were a handful of laffs, but I think the show suffered without the full ensemble.

WMR
04-11-2008, 11:50 AM
I thought it was funny. A nice change of pace. It's so funny how dumb Michael is, and his little plan worked perfectly.

HBP
04-11-2008, 01:29 PM
Jan took over most of the episode which IMO made it less funny. Michael being so proud of his 20" tv and putting the beer sign back up were great. Dwight and the babysitter :laugh:

WMR
04-11-2008, 01:32 PM
Confirming that Jan was doing her assistant made it a worthwhile episode to me.

I laughed my ass off when Jan took one of Michael's Dundee's and broke his little "plasma" television.

Buckeye33
04-11-2008, 01:55 PM
"It has sort of a oakie afterbirth" - Michael

"What was that?" - Jim

HAHA!

WMR
04-24-2008, 09:41 PM
Ryan has a drug problem

Dwight is a pimp with Amazonian women

Tobey grabbed Pam's leg LOL

Yachtzee
04-24-2008, 11:30 PM
Ryan has a drug problem

Dwight is a pimp with Amazonian women

Tobey grabbed Pam's leg LOL

Dwight is so oblivious. I think they should run with that. Make him do a week of training in NYC and have him become the reluctant babe magnet.

WMR
04-24-2008, 11:40 PM
"I'll never call her" combined with that look on his face

I laughed my ass off.

What about Ryan turning into a cokehead? :eek:

Razor Shines
04-24-2008, 11:58 PM
"I'll never call her" combined with that look on his face

I laughed my ass off.

What about Ryan turning into a cokehead? :eek:

Was the Office new tonight? I was playing basketball and my DVR didn't record it so I assumed it was a rerun. If it was new I am going to be pissed.

Reds Fanatic
04-25-2008, 12:10 AM
Was the Office new tonight? I was playing basketball and my DVR didn't record it so I assumed it was a rerun. If it was new I am going to be pissed.
Yes it was new. Good episode tonight. You should be able to see it on NBC.com tomorrow if you didn't get a tape.

rotnoid
04-25-2008, 07:50 AM
Yes it was new. Good episode tonight. You should be able to see it on NBC.com tomorrow if you didn't get a tape.

It was new, but NBC changed the schedule of things around this week. The guide on my TV had the shows in a different order than they aired, might be why you missed it.

kaldaniels
04-25-2008, 10:47 AM
My favorite episode since the break last night...

I loved the line of Michael telling the girls in the club he was a bank teller after Ryan told him to say he worked in finance to impress the ladies.

Unassisted
04-25-2008, 11:50 AM
My favorite episode since the break last night...
IMO, the bar was fairly low after the first one. This one was much better.

HBP
04-25-2008, 03:01 PM
I knew there was something strange about my friends on the Dunder Mifflin social networking site

HumnHilghtFreel
04-25-2008, 03:07 PM
I just watched the new episode. That was beyond hilarious... just so many things going on :lol:

Blimpie
05-16-2008, 11:49 AM
Last night was a pretty strong season finale...

The bit about the new HR Director continuing to think that Kevin was "special" was some of the finest sitcom writing I was witnessed in a long time.

westofyou
05-16-2008, 11:52 AM

The bit about the new HR Director continuing to think that Kevin was "special" was some of the finest sitcom writing I was witnessed in a long time.

We can have pie!!

Yachtzee
05-16-2008, 12:23 PM

I kept expecting that the twist on the new HR woman would be that Toby found out Pam thought he was cute and decided to stay, forcing the HR woman to go to a different branch and once again causing Michael to hate Toby. I didn't expect him to leave her in the lurch for a Jan pregnant with not-his-baby.

HumnHilghtFreel
05-16-2008, 12:51 PM
I loved that finale.

The Kevin thing was hilarious.

Anytime Mose makes an appearance I have to laugh. The ol Raccoon in the car trick gets em every time.

My favorite line from the night was: "You cheated on me... when I specifically asked you not to?"

Unassisted
05-16-2008, 02:12 PM
I've always figured Ryan would be making his way back to the Scranton branch. Now it looks like that might not happen!

RichRed
05-16-2008, 02:17 PM
I've always figured Ryan would be making his way back to the Scranton branch. Now it looks like that might not happen!

Before he got busted, I thought he was going to fire Jim, throwing a monkey wrench into his proposal plans. Turns out Andy took care of that for him.

15fan
05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
IMO, they've drifted too far into the office relationship realm. Will or won't Jim propose? Will Angela really leave Dwight? Michael-Jan or Michael-New HR woman? I'd like to see them put some of that on the backburner and get back to more of the regular business stuff around the office. Sales calls, training, quarterly meetings, etc.

The constant romantic drama overshadows some of the great characters that have been developed. It leads to too little screen time for some of the really great supporting characters like Kelly, Stanley, Oscar, etc. It also limits the show by preventing them from working in clients, vendors and other outside characters.

The scene last night with Kevin standing in front of the vending machine was priceless. "How much money do you have?" followed by Kevin the book keeper simply holding out his hand full of change was brilliant.

vaticanplum
05-16-2008, 02:24 PM
My favorite line from the night was: "You cheated on me... when I specifically asked you not to?"

I almost cried when he said that. I also loved the "I have to make this one count" line.

The show really gets better and better. The way these characters have developed covers some of the best writing in any genre that I have seen in a while. I think at this point it has actually surpassed the UK version simply because these characters have had more time to grow.

Your neighborly fan,
Lady Baker

RichRed
05-16-2008, 02:44 PM
IMO, they've drifted too far into the office relationship realm. Will or won't Jim propose? Will Angela really leave Dwight? Michael-Jan or Michael-New HR woman? I'd like to see them put some of that on the backburner and get back to more of the regular business stuff around the office. Sales calls, training, quarterly meetings, etc.

The constant romantic drama overshadows some of the great characters that have been developed. It leads to too little screen time for some of the really great supporting characters like Kelly, Stanley, Oscar, etc. It also limits the show by preventing them from working in clients, vendors and other outside characters.

I have very few complaints about this show but I agree with you to a certain extent. Some of the funniest moments are the pranks Jim plays on Dwight, like last night when he routed Dwight's phone to his. The deadpan looks on Jim's face are priceless. I don't know if I've ever laughed as hard as I did during the episode when Jim put all of Dwight's belongings in the vending machine.

I think the relationship stuff was played up a bit more last night because it was the season finale though. Generally, I don't think that aspect necessarily overpowers the other characters.

I just love this show - great writing, as vaticanplum points out.

MWM
05-16-2008, 02:50 PM

The scene last night with Kevin standing in front of the vending machine was priceless. "How much money do you have?" followed by Kevin the book keeper simply holding out his hand full of change was brilliant.

Agree completely.

vaticanplum
05-16-2008, 02:54 PM
I think the relationship stuff was played up a bit more last night because it was the season finale though. Generally, I don't think that aspect necessarily overpowers the other characters.

Yeah, I agree. The last (?) episode before this one (the Stanley stuttering fiasco) was very old-school Office. For the most part I think they strike a good balance.

The Jim and Pam is kind of the classic example of things getting boring once two characters who are clearly meant for each other get together. I think it's pretty clear after last night that the happy-happy there is not going to last though.

redsfanmia
05-16-2008, 03:41 PM
I love the show and the episode last night especially the Kevin being special angle. I enjoyed Creed's bit about how the HR lady was prying into his business asking him what he does. My only wish is for Scrantonitcity II to make another appearance but that would have blown the whole Kevin being special angle.

IowaRed
05-16-2008, 03:55 PM
Michael's going away gift to Toby was hilarious. And I agree, whenever Mose makes an appearance it's a good time and if they show him running it's icing on the cake

JayBruce4HOF
05-16-2008, 04:09 PM
Any predictions on what will happen now that Phyllis walked in on Dwight and Angela doing the dirty?

MrCinatit
05-16-2008, 04:27 PM
Great episode.
Watching Creed try to figure out what his job was a classic. "I need to write this stuff down."
Special Kevin was unforgettable. "That's a button."
Andy's proposal was spectacular - and Angela's response was hilarious. Watching Jim and Pam take it all in was great, as well.
This is what happens when you get a talented pool of people and let them do their thing - in my opinion, this show shows absolutely no signs of slowing down at all.

MrCinatit
05-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Any predictions on what will happen now that Phyllis walked in on Dwight and Angela doing the dirty?

I can see two things:

Phyllis keeps it under her hat and uses it to absolutely torture Angela, allowing her to keep Angela under wraps, but to allow her to take over the party committee (her master plan) - all with the threat that, if Angela does not submit, everyone (including Andy) will know.
or
Phyllis immediately blabs to everyone, causing Andy and Angela's plans to fall apart and a lot of discomfort for Angela, Andy and Dwight.
For some reason, I see the former happening more than the later. But, then again, the writers are pretty good at pulling little tricks out of their hats, so I could be way off.
Of course, I could also remember this post once the new season begins, find this post, edit it, and hail myself as the genius that I am.

JayBruce4HOF
05-16-2008, 04:34 PM
I can see two things:

Phyllis keeps it under her hat and uses it to absolutely torture Angela, allowing her to keep Angela under wraps, but to allow her to take over the party committee (her master plan) - all with the threat that, if Angela does not submit, everyone (including Andy) will know.
or
Phyllis immediately blabs to everyone, causing Andy and Angela's plans to fall apart and a lot of discomfort for Angela, Andy and Dwight.
For some reason, I see the former happening more than the later. But, then again, the writers are pretty good at pulling little tricks out of their hats, so I could be way off.
Of course, I could also remember this post once the new season begins, find this post, edit it, and hail myself as the genius that I am.

Except you can only edit posts three hours after you make them, IIRC. ;)

WMR
05-17-2008, 09:20 AM
The season finale might be my favorite episode of the entire series to this point. Just so many completely awesome facets to the finale.

HotCorner
05-20-2008, 12:01 PM
Best line of the finale:

"I am totally gonna bang Holly. She is cute and helpful. And she really seems into me."

The Kevin is special angle was hilarious stuff.

WMR
05-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Best line of the finale:

"I am totally gonna bang Holly. She is cute and helpful. And she really seems into me."

The Kevin is special angle was hilarious stuff.

The looks that he gave the camera were just awesome.

Like "yep, hell yeah I'm gonna score." :D

WMR
10-25-2008, 01:16 AM
http://i35.tinypic.com/20rw9ip.jpg

Creed from the forthcoming episode of The Office. :D

Love this show.

Buckeye33
10-25-2008, 07:45 AM
Thursdays episode was pretty entertaining.

I laughed the hardest at the never gets old "That's what she said" line for Michael this week.

He was running the auction and hit the gavel and figures out it's a toy gavel and it made a squeaking sound.

Michael: "It squeaks when you bang it. That's what she said."

WMR
10-31-2008, 01:32 PM
"It's pronounced Cornell, it's the highest rank in the military."

damn Creed kills me :lol:

RichRed
10-31-2008, 02:36 PM
"It's pronounced Cornell, it's the highest rank in the military."

damn Creed kills me :lol:

Creed is completely insane; I love it.

RedsFan75
10-31-2008, 03:00 PM
The whole Cornell stuff was great.

MWM
10-31-2008, 06:44 PM
The Cornell bit was the funniest thing this year so far in the show. Actually, lat night's episode what the best one this year.

kaldaniels
10-31-2008, 09:34 PM
Creed is completely insane; I love it.

What a character. Maybe a 5 second line per episode, but he always scores with a huge laugh.

I told my wife, if Creed speaks and you don't laugh, you've missed a joke.

MrCinatit
11-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Creed, Kevin and Daryl and three of my favorite secondary characters on the show.
Kevin's remarkably un-PC comment in the first episode "Do you think I'm retarded?" still has me rolling.
Creed, Kevin and later Dwight as the three jokers was a great opener.
"Do you want to see me make a pe..."
*elevator door closes*
*elevator door opens*
"...pencil disappear?"

And poor Daryl, in a remarkably uncomfortable moment on the truck...
"Please call me back. Please."

Blimpie
11-02-2008, 10:38 AM
The Cornell bit was the funniest thing this year so far in the show. Actually, lat night's episode what the best one this year.I also thought it was a funny angle. However, is anybody else a little distressed about the whole Jim/Pam character arcs?

In past seasons, it seems to me that the part about Dwight punking Andy (about Cornell) would have been solely written for as Jim punking Dwight.

redsfanmia
11-02-2008, 01:26 PM
I also thought it was a funny angle. However, is anybody else a little distressed about the whole Jim/Pam character arcs?

In past seasons, it seems to me that the part about Dwight punking Andy (about Cornell) would have been solely written for as Jim punking Dwight.

But Dwight wants Angela and Andy has Angela so there has to be some tension between the two.

KronoRed
11-02-2008, 01:29 PM
I also thought it was a funny angle. However, is anybody else a little distressed about the whole Jim/Pam character arcs?

Nah I like it, I like that the characters don't stay totally static, the show is 5 years old now.

vaticanplum
11-02-2008, 04:49 PM

I will say that the Jim Mr. Perfect angle has deflated this character quite a bit. The reason Tim (the UK Office equivalent) was such an intriguing character was because he was a great guy but a complete loser. At this point Jim is coming off as a suave goody two-shoes. I know the characters have to grow, but they don't have to grow into boring.

WMR
11-02-2008, 06:24 PM
I'd like to see Jim do something to totally screw up his relationship with Pam. Or SOMETHING. Something to make him less of exactly what you described, VP.

Yachtzee
11-02-2008, 10:54 PM
I will say that the Jim Mr. Perfect angle has deflated this character quite a bit. The reason Tim (the UK Office equivalent) was such an intriguing character was because he was a great guy but a complete loser. At this point Jim is coming off as a suave goody two-shoes. I know the characters have to grow, but they don't have to grow into boring.

I keep expecting that they'll have Pam end up hooking up with someone from school.

I suspect its hard for the writers to figure out what to do with the whole Jim/Pam thing, knowing that once they get married, it may well mess up the chemistry of the show. I don't think it has to though, as long as they avoid having too many episodes that focus on Jim and Pam and not enough on the other characters. I think the characters of Dwight, Stanley, Andy, Creed, Kevin and Angela are brilliant. Having Dwight fill the "Jim" role of tormenting Andy with the Cornell stuff was great.

Chip R
11-07-2008, 10:14 AM
I watched the first 15 minutes of this last night and it seemed pretty good. Jim & Pam with the tiny bluetooths and Jim harassing Dwight on the practice sales call were pretty funny.

Tony Cloninger
11-07-2008, 12:03 PM
They are boring though.....once you get past the jokes on Dwigt....they are kind of boring.

dougdirt
11-07-2008, 05:07 PM
They are boring though.....once you get past the jokes on Dwigt....they are kind of boring.

Dwigt. One of my favorite episodes.:thumbup:

Blimpie
11-07-2008, 06:35 PM
I like Kelley's panicked excuse about why she falsified Dwight & Jim's customer reviews:

"Uhm...I was raped?

dougdirt
11-07-2008, 06:36 PM
I like Kelley's panicked excuse about why she falsified Dwight & Jim's customer reviews:

"Uhm...I was raped?

The better part was that apparently its not the first time she had used that excuse in the office lol.

RedsManRick
11-07-2008, 07:02 PM
I keep expecting that they'll have Pam end up hooking up with someone from school.

I suspect its hard for the writers to figure out what to do with the whole Jim/Pam thing, knowing that once they get married, it may well mess up the chemistry of the show. I don't think it has to though, as long as they avoid having too many episodes that focus on Jim and Pam and not enough on the other characters. I think the characters of Dwight, Stanley, Andy, Creed, Kevin and Angela are brilliant. Having Dwight fill the "Jim" role of tormenting Andy with the Cornell stuff was great.

Maybe Pam will have a fling with the guy from Mad Men who gave her the NYC pep-talk... there seemed to be just a touch of foreshadowing tension there.

redsfanmia
11-07-2008, 07:23 PM
So far I am not impressed with the new season, the first two episodes were ok but the last two weeks were passable at best.

BoydsOfSummer
11-07-2008, 07:56 PM
We need more Creed! There has to be a hundred ways to write a funny episode around that crazy bastard.

kaldaniels
11-07-2008, 08:33 PM
I watched the first 15 minutes of this last night and it seemed pretty good. Jim & Pam with the tiny bluetooths and Jim harassing Dwight on the practice sales call were pretty funny.

Between both Michael and Dwight's imcompetence, that scene was funny on so many levels.

MrCinatit
11-08-2008, 07:46 AM
I got a huge chuckle out of Pam screaming "That's what she said! That's what she said!"

OSUredsFAN
11-12-2008, 06:54 PM
So far I am not impressed with the new season, the first two episodes were ok but the last two weeks were passable at best.

Not sure what you were watching, but the past two weeks were way better than passable. They were very funny!!!

OSUredsFAN
11-12-2008, 06:55 PM
I got a huge chuckle out of Pam screaming "That's what she said! That's what she said!"

So did I, that was a LOL moment as i watched.

redsfanmia
11-12-2008, 06:58 PM
Not sure what you were watching, but the past two weeks were way better than passable. They were very funny!!!

Darryl in the van when Micheal and Holly were breaking up was funny but last weeks episode did nothing for me and I really like this show.

The Operator
02-06-2009, 01:26 AM
Did anyone catch the post-Superbowl show and tonights episode?

Looks like they've found the stride again to me. Dwight with the fire and "today smoking will save lives" as well as "next week I've got a bomb scare planned to really keep them on their toes" was classic.

Chip R
02-06-2009, 10:18 AM
Did anyone catch the post-Superbowl show and tonights episode?

Looks like they've found the stride again to me. Dwight with the fire and "today smoking will save lives" as well as "next week I've got a bomb scare planned to really keep them on their toes" was classic.

I saw most of the Superbowl episode and the first part of last night's show. The roast was pretty funny - both ways.

SunDeck
02-06-2009, 11:06 AM
Last night's ep. was pretty good. I know they're good when I can barely stand to hear what comes out of Michael's mouth.

“She is pregnant, she is knocked up, K for Karen.”

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-06-2009, 11:24 AM
We need more Creed! There has to be a hundred ways to write a funny episode around that crazy bastard.

No doubt, send Kevin and Creed out on some sales calls.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
02-06-2009, 11:31 AM
I wake up every morning in a bed that’s too small, drive my daughter to a school that’s too expensive and then I go to work to a job for which I get paid too little. But on Pretzel Day? Well, I like Pretzel Day…

RichRed
02-06-2009, 11:57 AM
I saw most of the Superbowl episode and the first part of last night's show. The roast was pretty funny - both ways.

"Meredith, you’ve slept with so many guys you’re starting to look like one. Boom, roasted."

MWM
02-07-2009, 12:16 PM
Anyone else think the look on Stanley's face was priceless after Andrew said the second time that yes, they were friends, and Stanley let him down? I love Stanley....and Creed.... and all other other non-main characters of the show.

WMR
02-07-2009, 01:49 PM
MORE CREED!

There can never be enough Creed.

I'd like a Creed spin-off. haha, maybe not, but at least a mini-series.

redsfan1966
02-09-2009, 07:04 PM
"Boom-Roasted" is the new catch phrase.....and I feel like such an idiot, but I really find myself rooting for Jim and Pam--when Pam told Jim the reason her father left her mother was because her father couldnt match the feelings Jim mentioned for Pam -- I (gulp, ugh) was actually moved....(what in the world has happened to me?)

yab1112
02-09-2009, 08:28 PM
The opening scene of the post-superbowl episode where Dwight started the fire was by far the funniest scene of the last two seasons.

I'm a huge fan but i think the show lost some of it's magic after Jim and Pam got together. Every interaction between Jim-Pam, Roy-Jim, Karen-Pam was so awkward I felt myself squirming in my seat at home. I still love and watch the show every week though.

The Operator
02-13-2009, 12:29 AM
-Spoiler Alert-

For those watching tonight, do you think the letter from Holly to Micheal really revealed that it's "not over", or was that just Pam trying to spare Micheal's feelings?

redsmetz
02-13-2009, 09:23 AM
I'm starting to find the show tedious. I understand that one premise of the show is that Michael is such a nitwit (and I'm not sure that accurately names it), but it's really becoming completely painful to watch and incredibly implausible, not even in a fantasy fiction sort of way.

redsfanmia
02-13-2009, 03:55 PM
I'm starting to find the show tedious. I understand that one premise of the show is that Michael is such a nitwit (and I'm not sure that accurately names it), but it's really becoming completely painful to watch and incredibly implausible, not even in a fantasy fiction sort of way.

Maybe it has "jumped the shark" with the whole Jim and Pam getting married thing. I still find the show funny but not as funny as the last few years. I will say this though 30 Rock was laugh out loud funny last night IMO.

WMR
02-13-2009, 04:54 PM
I want to see something happen that breaks up Jim and Pam. That would give the series some desperately needed new energy.

KronoRed
02-13-2009, 05:39 PM
I don't think it's Jim and Pam that is the problem, it's the rest of them are exactly the same as they were in season 1, it's a big circle with them and it gets dull.

I like Jim and Pam together, the old "break em up" plan would be a waste IMO,just watch Friends if you want that ;)

WMR
02-13-2009, 05:47 PM
Krono ... please .... FRIENDS????

C'mon d00d

redsfanmia
02-13-2009, 06:11 PM
I think we need more Creed, Kevin and Stanley.

Blimpie
02-13-2009, 06:17 PM
I don't know HOW they milked that storyline into a 2-part episode.

BoydsOfSummer
02-13-2009, 07:15 PM
We need Creed!

Angela: I am proud to announce there is a new addition to the Martin family. She's hypoallergenic, she doesn't struggle when you try to dress her, she's a third generation show-cat, her father was in Meet the Parents. Needless to say she was very, very expensive.

Meredith: How much--

Angela: Seven thousand dollars.

Creed: For a cat? I could get you a kid for that.

Yachtzee
02-14-2009, 08:38 PM
We need Creed!

Angela: I am proud to announce there is a new addition to the Martin family. She's hypoallergenic, she doesn't struggle when you try to dress her, she's a third generation show-cat, her father was in Meet the Parents. Needless to say she was very, very expensive.

Meredith: How much--

Angela: Seven thousand dollars.

Creed: For a cat? I could get you a kid for that.

I thought the whole Angela's new cat story was the best part of the episode. Creed cracks me up.

redsmetz
02-15-2009, 04:11 PM
I thought the whole Angela's new cat story was the best part of the episode. Creed cracks me up.

Actually, I agree.

Strikes Out Looking
02-15-2009, 09:18 PM
Has anyone seen the webisodes? Kevin and his "ice cream" business were great.

I'd like to see less Michael Scott and more of the others--I'm sure they could come up with stories of all of them at home that are as good as Schrute farms. And how about some more Mose.

Red in Chicago
02-15-2009, 09:35 PM
Has anyone seen the webisodes? Kevin and his "ice cream" business were great.

I'd like to see less Michael Scott and more of the others--I'm sure they could come up with stories of all of them at home that are as good as Schrute farms. And how about some more Mose.

Agreed on less Michael Scott...I'd like to see less Dwight as well. I think the rest of the cast carries the show.

Tony Cloninger
02-15-2009, 09:45 PM
You people tired of Michael Scott now? I guess his story has been shown enough to know it cannot go much further or get any better?

I agree it would be a good idea to have an episode based around the other characters to break the cycle of what will Michael and Dwight do today ...same goes for Jim and Pam. Pam, I find really boring and predictable.

I smell a spin-off...... The Creed Family Hour

Strikes Out Looking
02-16-2009, 11:57 AM
I'm not tired of Michael Scott, but I think if you highlight the others, he then has something to play off. For instance, he was the one to tell Andy about Angela and Dwight. If you don't have Angela and Dwight, you don't have Michael doing that. By emphasizing the others, you give Michael fertile territory to make an ass of himself in new, amusing and cringeworthy ways.

HotCorner
02-16-2009, 01:16 PM
Jim, you're six eleven and you weigh ninety pounds, Gumby has a better body than you. Boom roasted. Dwight, you're a kiss-ass. Boom roasted. Pam, you failed art school, boom roasted. Meredith, you've slept with so many guys you're starting to look like one. Boom roasted. Kevin, I can't decide between a fat joke or a dumb joke boom roasted. Creed your teeth called your breath stinks. Boom roasted. Angela, where's Angela. Whoa there you are I didn't see you behind that grain of rice! Boom. Roasted! Stanley! You crush your wife during sex and your heart sucks. Boom roasted. Oscar you are Oscar, you're gay! Andy, Cornell called, they think you suck! And you're gayer than Oscar. Boom roasted!

highheat11
02-16-2009, 01:38 PM
I'm still in college and everytime someone gets "punked" or shown up or anything we make sure to say "boom roasted!" We also used Andy's "beer me" for just about everything. I even got a goofy look when I was in class the one day and I asked my professor to "beer me the alumni directory" out of habit. Luckily he knows a thing or two about the office and found it humorous.

kaldaniels
02-16-2009, 03:05 PM
I'm not tired of Michael Scott, but I think if you highlight the others, he then has something to play off. For instance, he was the one to tell Andy about Angela and Dwight. If you don't have Angela and Dwight, you don't have Michael doing that. By emphasizing the others, you give Michael fertile territory to make an ass of himself in new, amusing and cringeworthy ways.

Speaking of cringe-worthy, I was dying as he was giving the presentation in front of Holly's boyfriend...him crawling out in shame backwards was awesome.

gilpdawg
02-17-2009, 07:01 AM
I finally got caught up...DVR was back-logged. The Super Bowl ep may be my favorite Office episode ever. Boom...roasted. :)

The Operator
04-10-2009, 02:57 AM
Any thoughts on the newly formed Michael Scott Paper Company??

Redhook
04-10-2009, 07:57 AM
Any thoughts on the newly formed Michael Scott Paper Company??

Meh...

I did like the part last night when Dwight and Andy were playing the guitar/banjo and singing. That was pretty funny.

Blimpie
04-10-2009, 08:01 AM
Meh...

I did like the part last night when Dwight and Andy were playing the guitar/banjo and singing. That was pretty funny.Hey Redhook:

Just curious--what breed of dog is that in your avatar?

Apologies for the thread hijacking...

smith288
04-10-2009, 09:41 AM
Meh...

I did like the part last night when Dwight and Andy were playing the guitar/banjo and singing. That was pretty funny.
I was actually very impressed. Andy is a pretty good musician.

MWM
04-10-2009, 09:49 AM
Man, this show has really lost it for me. There's some funny things from time to time, but overall it's completely gotten away from what made the show so funny in the beginning - parodying office life with common office themes such as sexual harassment, downsizing, promotions, the bad boss. That's when it was good. Now it's about all the personal drama and it's gone too over the top for me. I hope it gets back on track.

I do find the fact that Dwight is actually befirending a guy like Andy to be funny. And the idea that someone actually doesn't like Jim and he doesn't know how to handle it is pretty funny as well.

Chip R
04-10-2009, 11:03 AM
I'm a new viewer to the show. I've been watching the reruns on TBS and the new episodes this season. I can see why people don't like the changes. However, how many times can you have Jim playing pranks on Dwight before it gets stale? How many jokes can you do about Angela's cats or Oscar being gay or Kevin being fat or Dwight being a psychopath? I'm interested to see where they are going with the MSPC angle. Who saw that coming?

A big beef I have with the show is they make Michael too stupid. I think they can write funny stuff without making Michael out to be a blithering idiot. I'd like to see some of the secondary characters have plotlines. They don't have to be for more than one episode. Ensamble shows sometimes have trouble getting secondary characters involved when the show starts to get popular and they fixate on 2-3 primary characters because they don't want to lose the fans that made the show popular.

vaticanplum
04-10-2009, 01:19 PM
I'm a new viewer to the show. I've been watching the reruns on TBS and the new episodes this season. I can see why people don't like the changes. However, how many times can you have Jim playing pranks on Dwight before it gets stale? How many jokes can you do about Angela's cats or Oscar being gay or Kevin being fat or Dwight being a psychopath? I'm interested to see where they are going with the MSPC angle. Who saw that coming?

I totally agree. This show has improved leaps and bounds from beginning to end of this season in my opinion. My complaints were that it was becoming cutesy, Jim/Pam-lovefest centric...so what did they do? They split them up and put Jim in a loser position. It's a great twist and they're doing a good job mixing these up and evolving storylines, as well as incorporating current events like the state of the economy. People are averse to change in TV shows, but they have to do it. What made it great in the beginning isn't enough to sustain forever. This show has long surpassed the British one in terms of number of seasons, so they're moving along. I've loved the last few episodes I've seen (I've missed quite a few though).

WMR
04-10-2009, 01:35 PM
Remember the first episode with the black guy who has Ryan's old job? I meant to bring this up earlier in this thread but forgot... Jim wore a TUXEDO that episode. I'm sorry, but that was totally out of character for Jim and was actually pretty stupid. The whole premise of Jim actually wearing a tuxedo to work as some lame way to make fun of Dwight was just dumb.

I did love them going to find Ryan in the bowling alley. I LOL'ed at that.

"She'd be a NYC 6 but she's a Scranton 7." hahaha

Eric_the_Red
04-10-2009, 01:37 PM
Remember the first episode with the black guy who has Ryan's old job? I meant to bring this up earlier in this thread but forgot... Jim wore a TUXEDO that episode. I'm sorry, but that was totally out of character for Jim and was actually pretty stupid. The whole premise of Jim actually wearing a tuxedo to work as some lame way to make fun of Dwight was just dumb.

This is the same charaacter that showed up at work dressed like Dwight. I didn't think it was a stretch.

"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." LOL!

WMR
04-10-2009, 01:49 PM
This is the same charaacter that showed up at work dressed like Dwight. I didn't think it was a stretch.

"Bears. Beets. Battlestar Galactica." LOL!

Yeah I thought about that... I dunno, the tuxedo thing just struck me as lame.

(I loved the Dwight ensemble, however.)

In other words, I can see how dressing up and acting like Dwight would screw with his head. How did dressing up in a tuxedo mess with Dwight's mind? He would just shrug that off or laugh at Jim for being stupid.

Chip R
04-10-2009, 02:03 PM

I did love them going to find Ryan in the bowling alley. I LOL'ed at that.

"She'd be a NYC 6 but she's a Scranton 7." hahaha

I really liked the one where Dwight was making Andy crazy by trying to get into Cornell. That was one of the first ones I watched in its entirety.

WMR
04-10-2009, 02:21 PM
I really liked the one where Dwight was making Andy crazy by trying to get into Cornell. That was one of the first ones I watched in its entirety.

hahaha yep that is a good one.

Dunno if you've seen this one... Andy has this really obnoxious ringer for his cellphone that he made on his computer. He took his voice singing this tweedle-dee song and overlaid it with his own voice like 5 times, so it's like he's his own acapella group...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wPn5JsZiMg

Chip R
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
hahaha yep that is a good one.

Dunno if you've seen this one... Andy has this really obnoxious ringer for his cellphone that he made on his computer. He took his voice singing this tweedle-dee song and overlaid it with his own voice like 5 times, so it's like he's his own acapella group...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1wPn5JsZiMg

I did see that one. :lol: Drove Andy to anger management therapy.

Eric_the_Red
04-10-2009, 02:37 PM
My favorite Jim/Dwight prank was the classic "put all of Dwight's things into the vending machine". Another great one was when Jim was working in NY and faxing Dwight messages from "Future Dwight".

BoydsOfSummer
04-10-2009, 04:26 PM
I wonder how many staplers have really been encased in jello around the world?

We want Creed! We want Creed!

Chip R
04-10-2009, 04:35 PM
We want Creed! We want Creed!

Yes! More Creed!

Blimpie
04-10-2009, 05:48 PM
My favorite Jim/Dwight prank was the classic "put all of Dwight's things into the vending machine". Another great one was when Jim was working in NY and faxing Dwight messages from "Future Dwight".My personal favorite was when Jim began inserting quarters into Dwight's phone handset on an incremental basis. He did this so that Dwight would not notice and begin to compensate for the additional weight of his phone.

After he did this for a while, he suddenly removed all of the quarters from the handset--causing Dwight to crack himself in the head when he answered a call.

Absolutely brilliant.

Blimpie
04-10-2009, 05:51 PM
Another favorite was when Jim had Dwight convinced that the Dunder-Mifflin Infinity Web site had become "self-aware" during the Man vs. Machine sales challenge...

Dwight: "How do I know you are not Jim?"

Computer: "What is a Jim?"

:D

Redhook
04-10-2009, 06:52 PM
Hey Redhook:

Just curious--what breed of dog is that in your avatar?

Apologies for the thread hijacking...

She's a chow/sheltie mix, just over a year old. There might be a little golden retriever or collie in there as well. She really has a beautiful coat.

Ok, back to the Office....

Blimpie
04-10-2009, 07:12 PM
She's a chow/sheltie mix, just over a year old. There might be a little golden retriever or collie in there as well. She really has a beautiful coat.

Ok, back to the Office....She is a beautiful dog. I thought she resembled the breed of our dog (we have a Nova Scotia Duck-Tolling Retriever).

And now back to your regular programming...

;)

kaldaniels
04-10-2009, 09:36 PM
What is the end game going to be for the MSPC??? Surely he will end up at the helm of Dunder-Mifflin again....

WMR
04-10-2009, 09:37 PM
Good question. I'd love to read some hypotheses.

kaldaniels
04-10-2009, 09:54 PM
Good question. I'd love to read some hypotheses.

The easy one, although I'd like the writers to come up with something better than I can in a few minutes, is that MSPC has mild sucess which creates a nuisance more than anything for DM, so they buy him out and bring him back.

WMR
04-10-2009, 09:56 PM
The easy one, although I'd like the writers to come up with something better than I can in a few minutes, is that MSPC has mild sucess which creates a nuisance more than anything for DM, so they buy him out and bring him back.

Yeah. Good call. That WOULD seem to be the "easy way out."

I could see that happening but I too would like to see them come up with something better.

Blimpie
04-11-2009, 11:33 AM
My guess:

I think that the new boss of DM ends up getting fired for an improper relationship with either Angela or Kelly.

They will have no choice but to bring Michael back into the fold.

MrCinatit
04-11-2009, 03:41 PM
My guess:

I think that the new boss of DM ends up getting fired for an improper relationship with either Angela or Kelly.

My guess is the new secretary - he seems to have eyes for her.

I did crack up at one of the early lines.
Andy: My maid died! (said as the gang were celebrating that Kevin actually transferred a call correctly).

kaldaniels
04-11-2009, 03:59 PM
My guess:

That could work, but remember Michael and Holly and Jan and Micheal each had relations known to DM. Yeah Holly got transferred, but why would the new boss be fired for the same thing. For good writing to work the writers have to think of a reason for A) the new guy to quit/be fired and B) a reason for DM to bring back Michael (the harder of the 2 to write).

WMR
04-11-2009, 04:33 PM
Plus that guy seems too smart to get caught by anything like that. If he was going to hook up with that secretary he'd do it in a smart fashion.

The Operator
04-11-2009, 04:54 PM
We want Creed! We want Creed!I literally LOL'd during the scene at Michael's free pancake luncheon when Creed was explaining to him how he cooked the pancakes wrong, and Michael says "but they're shaped like paper." which unfuriated Creed and he says "You know what? I don't even want these!" and takes about 5 pancakes out of his coat and flops them back down on the table.

That guy is hilarious.

redsfanmia
04-11-2009, 05:03 PM
I literally LOL'd during the scene at Michael's free pancake luncheon when Creed was explaining to him how he cooked the pancakes wrong, and Michael says "but they're shaped like paper." which unfuriated Creed and he says "You know what? I don't even want these!" and takes about 5 pancakes out of his coat and flops them back down on the table.

That guy is hilarious.

In small doses, I agree they need more Creed but you can not over use him.

MrCinatit
04-11-2009, 05:26 PM
That could work, but remember Michael and Holly and Jan and Micheal each had relations known to DM. Yeah Holly got transferred, but why would the new boss be fired for the same thing. For good writing to work the writers have to think of a reason for A) the new guy to quit/be fired and B) a reason for DM to bring back Michael (the harder of the 2 to write).

In some work places, the relationship between two equals (which, technically, am office manager and HR are) is not as frowned upon...however, the relationship between a district manager and an underling would be quite frowned upon.

kaldaniels
04-11-2009, 06:01 PM
In some work places, the relationship between two equals (which, technically, am office manager and HR are) is not as frowned upon...however, the relationship between a district manager and an underling would be quite frowned upon.

What about Michael and Jan. Although they did sign the "love document". It would be a hard sell to the audience because we've seen Micheal and Jan pursue a relationship and have a secret rondevous to the ultimate destination...Sandals, Jamaica :cool:

All I'm saying is we've seen so many inter/intra office romances over the past few years, it would seem contrived to have the new boss (gotta learn his name) fired over one.

Yachtzee
04-11-2009, 09:05 PM
I think that the easy way out is to have office morale tank under the new boss, resulting in the Scranton branch losing sales. It seems like only a few episodes ago that Michael was asked to speak at the other branches because his was the only one showing strong sales.

gilpdawg
04-22-2009, 05:17 AM
Bumping this thread to say that I loved the latest episode. Dwight and Michael's "war" was the best thing they've done in the past couple months. Also about died @ Andy's version of "You Can Call Me Al."

redsmetz
04-22-2009, 12:41 PM
Bumping this thread to say that I loved the latest episode. Dwight and Michael's "war" was the best thing they've done in the past couple months. Also about died @ Andy's version of "You Can Call Me Al."

I agree this episode was the best I've seen in eons from the show. Part of what helped is that it showed Michael at his best, in some ways, in his sales call and not just completely off his rocker has he's been most of this season.

MrCinatit
04-22-2009, 01:31 PM
I liked the thing with Jim and Andy, as well.
"Today, I was going to empty out my inbox. Now, I have this."

The Operator
04-23-2009, 11:44 PM
Well, those of you that predicted Dunder Mifflin buying out MSPC were dead on. Gotta say, I expected something a little bit bigger. Good episode, though, nonetheless.

WMR
04-24-2009, 02:49 AM
It ended up being what we predicted, but I still absolutely loved this episode.

I love it when Michael actually does something right.

Also loved how Jim sabotaged Dwight's attempt to sabotage the Michael Scott Paper Company buy-out. hahaha

Razor Shines
04-24-2009, 02:51 AM

Also loved how Jim sabotaged Dwight's attempt to sabotage the Michael Scott Paper Company buy-out. hahaha

"You guys are morons, don't go near the conference room." That was great.

edabbs44
04-24-2009, 08:03 AM

“Case of the beet bandit. Missing beets from all over the farm. No footprints. Inside job: Mose in socks, case closed.”

That quote killed me. Also the elevator scene with Michael hyperventilating and when they pulled over to pick up the Korean woman.

Classic episode.

Chip R
04-24-2009, 10:21 AM
I want Jim's ringtone "Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!"

Loved Jim messing Dwight up. Charles finally realized that Dwight is nuts. "Like I would have a bad apiarist?" :lol:

Andy was great too, "I just think the bar should be lower for newbies. I don't want to have said that. But I want you to know it."

Kelly was outstanding listening in to the conversation and translating it exactly how she heard it.

Michael's an idiot but he just has these moments of clarity every once in a while.

RichRed
04-24-2009, 11:05 AM
That quote killed me. Also the elevator scene with Michael hyperventilating and when they pulled over to pick up the Korean woman.

Classic episode.

Absolutely hilarious. One of the best episodes in quite some time.

kaldaniels
04-24-2009, 11:16 AM
I am a bit confused...will we see Charles again...he has Jan's old job still right???

Chip R
04-24-2009, 11:28 AM
I am a bit confused...will we see Charles again...he has Jan's old job still right???

I don't think so. He was scheduled to be on 6 episodes and last night was the 6th.

WMR
04-24-2009, 12:18 PM
"Michael!"

"That's one of my business names also."

hahaha

cincinnati chili
04-25-2009, 04:53 PM

Chip is right. He was under contract for 6 episodes only, and he said on Terry Gross' Fresh Air that he's going to work on his music career for a while. I imagine he'll continue to be a hot property in the entertainment world given the difference in range between the roles he played on The Office and The Wire. He was convincing in both.

For those who don't know, he's British and has a heavy cockney accent in real life.

I was floored. I had no idea.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/

WMR
04-26-2009, 12:18 AM
I loved him on The Wire.

Couldn't believe it when he got smoked. I figured he'd make it till the end.

missionhockey21
04-26-2009, 10:34 AM
That was one of the best episodes in quite some time. I about lost it when Dwight was talking about his sleuth skills and the discovery that it was an inside job of the beats stolen without a trace (Mose in socks.)

Steve Carrell was wonderful in the episode too, made all that much better by Michael showing those moments of clarity in the script.

BoydsOfSummer
04-26-2009, 05:56 PM
That would have been a great storyline to use Creed. Michael enlists Creed and his diabolical mind to get back control. I guess the Creed character would prefer to go unnoticed but they should use him more.

WMR
04-26-2009, 06:22 PM
I agree more Creed, but Creed would never help Michael. He has gone to unbelievable lengths over the years to keep that job, he'd never risk losing it. For ANYTHING. hahaha

The Operator
04-26-2009, 07:41 PM
I agree more Creed, but Creed would never help Michael. He has gone to unbelievable lengths over the years to keep that job, he'd never risk losing it. For ANYTHING. hahahaHahaha, very true.

"The only difference between me and a homeless man is this job." Priceless.

The Baumer
04-26-2009, 09:30 PM
I'm surprised Creed has managed to go under the radar still, especially after the last 2 seasons were every character seemed to get their own inter-office romance.

WMR
04-27-2009, 12:26 AM
Remember when Ryan was hired into Jan's old job and he showed up in Scranton and Creed went into Michael's office and told him how they were going to force the old people out?

Next day Creed shows up with pitch black dyed hair and starts calling everyone "Dude."

:D

The Baumer
04-27-2009, 07:53 PM
That was also the day all the ink toner went missing from the copier.

smith288
04-28-2009, 02:29 PM
Chip is right. He was under contract for 6 episodes only, and he said on Terry Gross' Fresh Air that he's going to work on his music career for a while. I imagine he'll continue to be a hot property in the entertainment world given the difference in range between the roles he played on The Office and The Wire. He was convincing in both.

For those who don't know, he's British and has a heavy cockney accent in real life.

I was floored. I had no idea.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0252961/
That's hardly heavy cockney. There is no dropping of sounds or using "me" instead of "my".

Sounds like a typical educated Brit to me.

The Operator
05-01-2009, 12:29 AM
Tonight's chess match between Creed and Jim was classic.

C: "Jim, I think I'll fix you up with my daughter."
J: "I'm engaged to Pam."
C: "Really? I thought you were gay."
J: "Then why would you fix me up with your daughter?"
C: "I don't know..."

smith288
05-01-2009, 08:45 AM
I like Jim much better with Charles gone. His bumbling personality around him kind of annoyed me.

WMR
05-01-2009, 10:35 AM
"Meredith where are your PANTIES?!?!?!"

"It's CASUAL FRIDAY!!!"

dougdirt
05-01-2009, 01:52 PM
The opening scene with Kevin was the best part of the entire show in my opinion..... freaking awesome.

smith288
05-01-2009, 09:43 PM
The opening scene with Kevin was the best part of the entire show in my opinion..... freaking awesome.
Meredith scene had me and the wife LAWLING.

HotCorner
05-01-2009, 10:39 PM
Meredith scene had me and the wife LAWLING.

Me too. :D

Chip R
05-01-2009, 11:04 PM
"Meredith where are your PANTIES?!?!?!"

"It's CASUAL FRIDAY!!!"

Man, that wasn't right. :eek:

That was pretty good with Jim and Creed paying chess.

That was pretty mean of Michael to fake fire both Pam and Erin.

kaldaniels
05-01-2009, 11:53 PM
Man, that wasn't right. :eek:

That was pretty good with Jim and Creed paying chess.

That was pretty mean of Michael to fake fire both Pam and Erin.

I loved the mention of how he told Ryan he got the job, then told him he didn't get it. :D

Spitball
05-05-2009, 11:20 PM
Okay, I have a question. A lady I work with said she didn't like the show because it employed every stereotype to create its humor. We all ignored her because she is a huge "Know-it-all" and we are big fans of the show, but I wondered what the "H" she was talking about. Anyone have a clue? Why would this show be any more guilty of exploiting stereotypes than any other comedy?

The Baumer
05-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Prob because one of the characters is gay.

Unless the ditzy Indian girl is a prevalent stereotype.

RichRed
05-06-2009, 09:38 AM
Okay, I have a question. A lady I work with said she didn't like the show because it employed every stereotype to create its humor. We all ignored her because she is a huge "Know-it-all" and we are big fans of the show, but I wondered what the "H" she was talking about. Anyone have a clue? Why would this show be any more guilty of exploiting stereotypes than any other comedy?

Maybe Dwight's character hits a little too close to home for her know-it-allness?

Chip R
05-06-2009, 09:51 AM
I want Jim's ringtone "Idiot! Idiot! Idiot!"

I made this into one of my ringtones.

BTW, I saw where Charles is coming back for I think the last episode of the season at the company picnic.

smith288
05-06-2009, 10:36 AM
Everybody in the office is done in a normal typical light except for Michael who stereotypes them all.

Dwights obviously an oddball but every office has a freak in it.

westofyou
05-06-2009, 10:49 AM

Michael is the same type of character as Archie Bunker, just nicer. But he's the lightening rod for the whole pushing the "that's just wrong" button in everyones living room.

That said I loved the rerun on TBS last night where Jan plays her "assistant" Tyler's CD. The subtext of that scene is brilliant.

RichRed
05-06-2009, 12:01 PM
Michael is the same type of character as Archie Bunker, just nicer. But he's the lightening rod for the whole pushing the "that's just wrong" button in everyones living room.

I was going to post about the Archie Bunker connection too. People didn't seem to get that Archie's views were being held up as an object of ridicule. Instead, it was "That show is racist."

WMR
05-06-2009, 04:59 PM

That said I loved the rerun on TBS last night where Jan plays her "assistant" Tyler's CD. The subtext of that scene is brilliant.

haha the dinner party is one of my favorite episodes.

I love when Michael is talking about his 12" "Plasma Television."

When Jan breaks it with a Dundy Award I always laugh.

Chip R
05-06-2009, 05:04 PM
haha the dinner party is one of my favorite episodes.

I love when Michael is talking about his 12" "Plasma Television."

When Jan breaks it with a Dundy Award I always laugh.

That one and the Survivorman one were the first episodes I ever saw of the show.