PDA

View Full Version : 3/9 Amerian Idol elimination show...no real surprises

max venable
03-09-2006, 10:27 PM
I predicted that Ayla and Kinnik would go...not hard to figure out.

I also said that Will and Kevin would go but the more I thought about it the more convinced I became that Kevin would stay and Gedeon would get whacked.

My theory: Kevin gets the national nerd vote. They'll rally and keep him around for several more shows.

Gedeon is a far superior talent to Kevin (btw, Kevin has NO business in the top 12, IMO). I think going first on a given night hurts your chances...seven more performers to help folks forget about yours. Bad luck for Mr. Smiles last night.

I'm glad Melissa stuck around. I like her voice. I don't think she'll last much longer, though.

IMO, there are maybe only 6 of the 12 that have a shot at winning it all. They are:

Mandisa
Chris
Taylor
Paris
Katharine
maybe Ace

My personal favorites are Mandisa, Chris, and Taylor.

MWM
03-09-2006, 11:18 PM
I was a little surprised with Gideon. He can really sing, although I don't think his style appeals to many, including me. But the fact that he's going home and not Kevin is a travesty. IMO, Kevin is the worst singer to have been in the top 12 so far in the show.

Dom Heffner
03-09-2006, 11:22 PM
was a little surprised with Gideon.

He reminds me of Little RIchard. not good. I don't think talking about his artwork helped him any.

macro
03-10-2006, 01:04 AM
I agree completely with everything you guys have said, especially MWM's comment about it being a travesty that Kevin stays and Gedeon goes. I actually felt silly expending emotions over a televised talent competition, but I actually had some feelings of anger about that. Kevin has NO business in the finals! It makes a mockery of the show, IMO.

I think Gedeon will have a shot at a gospel-type contract. I think that's where his heart lies anyway.

Dom Heffner
03-10-2006, 06:34 AM
Kevin has NO business in the finals! It makes a mockery of the show, IMO.

Elliot sings better than Ace, but his Amishness will be booted off before Ace, probably.

I don't think he's going to last much longer. I personally thought it was a toss up between him and Kevin. Gideon has a better voice but not much likability. Remember how arrogant he was during the final audition show? He seemed to back off of that, but even Simon said had he heard that little speech he wouldn't have let him on. That's the sort of moment that can kill you.

His song choices haven't helped. Sam Cooke, Percy Sledge....I dunno...those songs are tired.

Did I hear correctly that they are going to be doing the music of Stevie Wonder next week as a theme? Not a huge Stevie fan, but still interested to see how these guys tackle it.

Danny Serafini
03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
Little disappointed to see Gedeon get the boot. I wasn't a big fan of his at first, but I thought he was improving every week. It's ridiculous that Kevin has lasted this long, but there's a headscratcher like that every year.

Roy Tucker
03-10-2006, 10:02 AM
I was a little surprised at Ayla. But I think she had the backlash of coming from a privileged background and being a perfect child. America likes the underdog. She'll probably go on to Harvard or Princeton. Or play hoops at UConn. Great kid.

I agree about Kevin and Gedeon. The nerd vote is out in full force. I didn't think Gedeon would win, but he is miles above Kevin in talent. Kevin is a nice kid, but this *is* a talent show and I see better talent at the local HS musical.

I am so over Ace and his goo-goo eyes and crappy singing.

I might add Lisa to max's spot-on list. Mandisa has taken over my #1 female slot over Katharine. She's a powerhouse and is coming on. Katharine is juuust a smidge too quirky.

macro
03-10-2006, 10:49 AM
Gideon has a better voice but not much likability. Remember how arrogant he was during the final audition show? He seemed to back off of that, but even Simon said had he heard that little speech he wouldn't have let him on. That's the sort of moment that can kill you.

I must've missed that. What did he say?

Katharine is juuust a smidge too quirky.

...and full of herself...

I think ol' Taylor Hicks will be hard to get rid of. I don't see him winning it, but he's quite a performer, probably the best entertainer among the twelve. More people are going to end up liking Chris, but I'm starting to see him as rather one-dimensional.

IslandRed
03-10-2006, 03:56 PM
I like Taylor a lot. I don't know if he's a great pure singer, but this is pop/rock we're talking about -- a voice's character and power count for as much or more than technical purity. Mostly, he's exhibiting a true joy of singing and performing. Every time up there he's having the greatest day of his life, or making everyone believe he is, and it's infectious. The boy's just bringing it.

I'm liking Mandisa for pretty much the same reasons.

max venable
03-10-2006, 03:59 PM
I was a little surprised at Ayla. But I think she had the backlash of coming from a privileged background and being a perfect child. America likes the underdog. She'll probably go on to Harvard or Princeton. Or play hoops at UConn. Great kid.

Alya cried when she was sent packing. I commented to my family that this was probably the first thing she failed to win. I don't think she knew how to deal with rejection.