PDA

View Full Version : have always been curious about this....

BUTLER REDSFAN
03-09-2006, 11:33 PM
during the season when the reds are on an extended homestand..during the day other than golf what do they do all day?? do they all stay at the same hotel?? do they have houses up here?--just curious what a normal day consists of

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 12:21 AM
When they are home, few (if any) stay in a hotel.

They make their homes here during the season; some buy, some rent. So the majority if not all have real homes here (I read that Sean Casey had two, though I have no idea why).

When they play night games, I'm sure most sleep in the next day. Then I would think they just lead normal lives until they go to the ballpark.... watch TV, go out to eat (or eat in), fish, swim, etc.

Most of the families of the married guys also live here during the season.

The Baumer
03-10-2006, 12:26 AM
I doubt any players would go for a swim, as that would more than likely leave them feeling groggy and tired the next day. My guess would be they do the one thing they can't do during game days, NOTHING. Sit around and enjoy the feeling of rest.

Nugget
03-10-2006, 01:36 AM
I can't remeber who it was but I think it was an Astros player either last year or the year before gave an interview about a day in the life. His day was basically be at home, spend the morning being at home do the family stuff - take the kids to school etc. Summer vacation take the kids with them to the park. For night games they usually have to be at the park by early afternoon anyway. Get ready for BP etc.

Cyclone792
03-10-2006, 01:45 AM
IIRC, Griffey bought a place in Mt. Adams a few years ago. Denny Neagle used to live in the Wetherington Golf & CC in West Chester. Russell Branyan used to live in a condo at Four Bridges in West Chester. Jason LaRue has a home in a Mason subdivision, and I think Graves also had a home in that same neighborhood.

Most other players probably have similar types of local homes they live at during parts of the season.

beb30
03-10-2006, 09:58 AM
I believe griffey has a house out towards Mainville, he lives on a golf course out there.

dougflynn23
03-10-2006, 10:19 AM
:) I think a great deal of it depends on whether they are married, have kids, or are single. I got to know Todd Van Poppel a couple of years ago, and he chose to keep his family in Texas while he lived in Cincinnati at Lytle Place Apts. He said that Lytle was the bachelor pad for Reds players because it was 1) convenient, 2) nice, and 3) relatively inexpensive. He said the guys whose families are with them all of the time either lived in No. KY or Butler County.

Barry Larkin had a house in Amberly Village which became famous when he did his plea for a contract extension at the end of 2003. His brother lives there, and Barry staed there only during the season.

Chip R
03-10-2006, 10:41 AM
(I read that Sean Casey had two, though I have no idea why).

I read that too and wondered the same thing. If it wasn't Casey, one might wonder if he had a wife in one house and a mistress in the other. :eek: But I suppose it could be for tax purposes. He doesn't seem the kind of person to be an extravagant spender and he was making some pretty good money the last few years. If all that money sits in the bank, Uncle Sam takes a big bite out of it. Now if he invests it into something safe - like a house - that's a different story.

But to get back to the original question, I have it on good authority that they all spend their off days reading RedsZone. ;)

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 11:13 AM
I believe griffey has a house out towards Mainville, he lives on a golf course out there.

That must have changed recently. At least in 2004 he had a condo 5 minutes from the park.

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 11:17 AM
For the past two seasons (at least), both Dunn and Kearns have condos on the river (Ky side). You can see the building from the GAB, very close to the suspension bridge.

westofyou
03-10-2006, 11:20 AM
Jason LaRue has a home in a Mason subdivision, He lves near Roy Tucker, who (IIRC) has seen his wife giving him the what not in the yard before (probably chore related)

Cyclone792
03-10-2006, 12:05 PM
He lves near Roy Tucker, who (IIRC) has seen his wife giving him the what not in the yard before (probably chore related)

:lol:

dougflynn23
03-10-2006, 12:25 PM
He lves near Roy Tucker, who (IIRC) has seen his wife giving him the what not in the yard before (probably chore related) :) Since this is Jason LaRue we're talking about, he probably dropped something and broke it.

Highlifeman21
03-10-2006, 02:49 PM

Not sure if Griffey still has the Mt. Adams crib, but he does live out on TPC Rivers Bend near Lebanon/Maineville. He is also a member there.

vaticanplum
03-10-2006, 03:11 PM
For the past two seasons (at least), both Dunn and Kearns have condos on the river (Ky side). You can see the building from the GAB, very close to the suspension bridge.

I never really thought about it before, but it's kind of amazing that Dunn isn't married yet. He's 26, that's like a million in baseball player years as far as that goes.

Chip R
03-10-2006, 03:15 PM
I never really thought about it before, but it's kind of amazing that Dunn isn't married yet. He's 26, that's like a million in baseball player years as far as that goes.

George Brett didn't get married till after he retired.

Heath
03-10-2006, 03:47 PM
George Brett didn't get married till after he retired.

Neither did Steve Young.

vaticanplum
03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
Neither did Steve Young.

Yes but they are not as jovial as Adam.

Heath
03-10-2006, 03:54 PM
Yes but they are not as jovial as Adam.

Plum's gettin' starry-eyed again.

vaticanplum
03-10-2006, 04:02 PM
Plum's gettin' starry-eyed again.

Oh no I have no claim to him...he has many women on this board lined up before me!

I believe my cousin has run into him down on the dock-thing whatever-it-is where people go out and drink down by the Ohio River, which supports the idea of him living down there. If I'm not mistaken my cousin is part of a small group of people who call him "bubble butt," but I'm sure she does it with great affection and charm.

TeamBoone
03-10-2006, 04:24 PM
In this day and age, twenty-six is actually kind of young for a guy to get married. He's still having fun.

I would think it would be very difficult for a professional athlete to meet someone let alone actually have/find the time to get to know them, enough to get married I mean.

Players don't have a whole lot of time off or free time and when they do, it's either during the day or late at night after a game. Most working individuals (not all) are either working or sleeping during those hours.

The majority of athletes I've read about often marry young and it's to their highschool or college sweethearts, probably because they don't have much time to meet anyone else. When that doesn't happen, they usually wed much later in their careers.

Ouch! That sounded kind of bad, but I do think it's true.

Damn! I wish I was young.

vaticanplum
03-10-2006, 04:34 PM
In this day and age, twenty-six is actually kind of young for a guy to get married. He's still having fun.

I would think it would be very difficult for a professional athlete to meet someone let alone actually have/find the time to get to know them, enough to get married I mean.

Players don't have a whole lot of time off or free time and when they do, it's either during the day or late at night after a game. Most working individuals (not all) are either working or sleeping during those hours.

The majority of athletes I've read about often marry young and it's to their highschool or college sweethearts, probably because they don't have much time to meet anyone else. When that doesn't happen, they usually wed much later in their careers.

Ouch! That sounded kind of bad, but I do think it's true.

Damn! I wish I was young.

I totally agree with you. The rest of the America is getting married older, but baseball players haven't moved. They still really seem to settle down so young. I think the vast majority of them are married by the age of 26 because their worlds are very cloistered while they're young, and by the time they realize how big the world is and how much of it is open to them, they're already married. (This is a matter to which my friends and I have devoted countless hours of conversation, despite the fact that we are well aware that we would have absolutely nothing to talk to a baseball player about apart from baseball. Sorry this is so off-topic. Man, that Dunn can hit, right?)

Redsland
03-11-2006, 12:13 AM
Not sure if Griffey still has the Mt. Adams crib, but he does live out on TPC Rivers Bend near Lebanon/Maineville. He is also a member there.
Junior lives at Adams Landing near the Boathouse.