PDA

View Full Version : Idea: Could Reds Trade Milton for Soriano?

Kc61
03-11-2006, 01:25 AM
Alfonso Soriano has a ten million dollar contract with, I think, one year left. Flaws and all, he would be a great hitter in a park like GAB. The Nats may have to get rid of him because he refuses to play outfield.

Reds don't have a regular second baseman. While pitching is their biggest need, Soriano's offense couldn't hurt. I know he isn't great defensively, but neither is Freel, Womack or Aurilia at this stage of his career.

Milton would likely do better in a ballpark other than GAB. Reds might have to throw in a sweetner, perhaps an outfielder who can play where Soriano won't. Maybe Denorfia.

Reds fill Milton's rotation spot with a younger pitcher.

Nats get a pitcher who may rebound in their stadium and get rid of Soriano problem.

Any chance?

Neo
03-11-2006, 02:03 AM
One problem, Bowden's ego stands in the way. I would think the only way Jim would listen to an offer from Krivsky, is if it started with Dunn, Pena, or Kearns. Ideally, I would rather have Jose Vidro and plug him into our #2 slot everyday.. he would provide a presence we haven't had since Larkin.

KronoRed
03-11-2006, 02:06 AM
Bowden will bend over back wards to keep Soriano, he's his type of player..all tools.

StillFunkyB
03-11-2006, 06:57 AM
Alfonso Soriano has a ten million dollar contract with, I think, one year left. Flaws and all, he would be a great hitter in a park like GAB. The Nats may have to get rid of him because he refuses to play outfield.

Reds don't have a regular second baseman. While pitching is their biggest need, Soriano's offense couldn't hurt. I know he isn't great defensively, but neither is Freel, Womack or Aurilia at this stage of his career.

Milton would likely do better in a ballpark other than GAB. Reds might have to throw in a sweetner, perhaps an outfielder who can play where Soriano won't. Maybe Denorfia.

Reds fill Milton's rotation spot with a younger pitcher.

Nats get a pitcher who may rebound in their stadium and get rid of Soriano problem.

Any chance?

I would do it.

puca
03-11-2006, 08:14 AM
One problem, Bowden's ego stands in the way. I would think the only way Jim would listen to an offer from Krivsky, is if it started with Dunn, Pena, or Kearns. Ideally, I would rather have Jose Vidro and plug him into our #2 slot everyday.. he would provide a presence we haven't had since Larkin.

Milton + Womak for Vidro....brilliant!

I doubt Bowden would agree, but it does solve his Soriano problem.

Spitball
03-11-2006, 08:50 AM
I would like to see the Reds be more creative in their attempt to improve the team. Acquiring a ten million dollar second baseman, even if it means dumping the last two years of Milton, is not a move towards improving the biggest need, pitching.

puca
03-11-2006, 09:03 AM
You are overstating Vidro's cost. Vidro is due to make 7.0 million in 2006, 7.5 in 2007 and 8.5 in 2008. The contract is longer than I would like, but for the same amount of money for the next 2 years, I would take Vidro.

And if Vidro has a bounce back year, and hitting in the GAB all it would require is health, he should be worth quite a bit at the deadline.

Kc61
03-11-2006, 11:55 AM
I don't see Nats trading Vidro without a big return.

As for those who would prefer pitching, good pitching is not coming in return for Milton whose contract is inflated and performance has been poor.

Soriano, on the other hand, is a problem for Bowden because of his refusal to play outfield. Couldn't this be an opportunity to send Milton to a more suitable stadium and give the Reds a potent offensive player who can be traded at deadline, let go after one year, or kept if he works out?

MartyFan
03-11-2006, 12:04 PM
It gives Pants a way to save face on the Soriano thing...lso gives him another pitcher who SHOULD do better in the DC park.

Soriano would be good trade bit at the deadline and have HUGE numbers in GAB...how does his defense compare with that of RICH, Freel and Womack?

IslandRed
03-11-2006, 12:05 PM
I would like to see the Reds be more creative in their attempt to improve the team. Acquiring a ten million dollar second baseman, even if it means dumping the last two years of Milton, is not a move towards improving the biggest need, pitching.

I think it actually qualifies as a creative move, in the manner of a chess game where Move A only makes sense after you see Move B. Soriano is in his last year before free agency and would be an attractive bat at the trade deadline, especially to an AL club. At worst, he's not traded and we get two premium draft picks after he walks. Going into 2007, I'd rather have $8.5 million to spend plus whatever the return was on Soriano, than give the $8.5 to Eric Milton while having picked up no additional talent.

Of course, I see this deal happens in the first place, because if they don't want Soriano they could do better than Milton.

KronoRed
03-11-2006, 01:42 PM
Soriano would be good trade bit at the deadline and have HUGE numbers in GAB...how does his defense compare with that of RICH, Freel and Womack?
It's worse if I remember correctly.

If we traded for him I'd like to see him flipped immediately.

MartyFan
03-11-2006, 03:02 PM
It's worse if I remember correctly.

If we traded for him I'd like to see him flipped immediately.

If he could be flipped right away maybe it could be a three team deal?

What teams would be interested in Soriano? Would the Reds still be a partner in this deal or would the Nats be in a better spot by temselves?

Crosley68
03-11-2006, 03:23 PM
This move would not improve pitching? I disagree, NOT having Milton take his usual turn 32 times a year would IMHO greatly improve the pitching.

Kc61
03-11-2006, 03:46 PM
If he could be flipped right away maybe it could be a three team deal?

What teams would be interested in Soriano? Would the Reds still be a partner in this deal or would the Nats be in a better spot by temselves?

Might be fun having Soriano around for a year. Reds would be an offensive powerhouse. My lineup would be Lopez, EE, Griffey, Soriano, Dunn, Kearns, Pena, Larue, pitcher. Or you could hit Soriano 5th, Dunn 4th. Not too shabby either way.

Spitball
03-11-2006, 08:14 PM
This move would not improve pitching? I disagree, NOT having Milton take his usual turn 32 times a year would IMHO greatly improve the pitching.

I think there are better ways to improve the pitching than having 10 million sunk into a second baseman. And, if Soriano could be flipped for a better deal than Milton, why would the Nationals want Milton???

schroomytunes
03-11-2006, 08:25 PM
I would rather keep Milton than trade for Soriano, we already have a good offense, and realistically I think Milton will improve on his numbers. I feel we could see his lines around 14-12 180+innings and an era @4.6.

flyer85
03-11-2006, 08:39 PM
I would rather have Vidro

KronoRed
03-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I would rather have Vidro
True..but Milton won't get him.

pedro
03-12-2006, 05:01 AM
I'd do it. The Reds would save 6 million or so dollars and I think Soriano, despite his flaws, will provide the Reds with more value than Milton. Plus he's a FA after the year IIRC and then the Reds can just let him walk or trade him during season.

But I don't think Bowden would do it.

westofyou
03-12-2006, 11:39 AM
According to BP radio a possible scenario is a 3 Way with WMP - Soriano and the Mets as the 3rd team.

Reds get arms, WMP goes to DC, Mets get Soriano

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2006, 11:58 AM
According to BP radio a possible scenario is a 3 Way with WMP - Soriano and the Mets as the 3rd team.

Hopefully those arms consist of a package including Aaron Heilman and either John Maine or Phil Humber.

KronoRed
03-12-2006, 02:01 PM
Sounds like a good deal for the Reds..other then we still have Milton

registerthis
03-13-2006, 09:33 AM

WMP is the type of power hitter who the Nats could actually use...not a high OBP guy, but one with enough power to drive the ball out of any park. Problem is, the Nats don't have much that I'd want as a Reds fan, and the few things they do have they're not likely to part with.

westofyou
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
Problem is, the Nats don't have much that I'd want as a Reds fan, and the few things they do have they're not likely to part with.

That's the beauty of the Soriano-Bowden probelem, hence a 3rd team.

OnBaseMachine
03-13-2006, 10:09 AM
woy, is this something BP just threw out there or is this deal actually being discussed?

westofyou
03-13-2006, 10:14 AM
woy, is this something BP just threw out there or is this deal actually being discussed?
Will Carroll was interviewing John Fay on BP radio

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/radio/

Fay indicated that "he" thought that there would be a trade, mainly because Pena's progress and his inability to harness his skills has not endeared him to Narron.

Then Carroll said he has heard of a rumours involving Pena, Soriano and the Mets.

This of course is all affected by the WBC.

princeton
03-13-2006, 12:30 PM

Reds get Ernie Broglio. Then, if EdE can just become Ron Santo (and AK can become Billy Williams), we'll spend the next five years as the '62-'66 Cubs

westofyou
03-13-2006, 12:37 PM
Reds get Ernie Broglio. Then, if EdE can just become Ron Santo (and AK can become Billy Williams), we'll spend the next five years as the '62-'66 Cubs
Who will be Aldolpho Phillips?

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 12:50 PM
Fay indicated that "he" thought that there would be a trade, mainly because Pena's progress and his inability to harness his skills has not endeared him to Narron.

Oh lord. :help:

Chip R
03-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Marty was saying on the radio yesterday that he believes that the Reds would be better off with Dunn in LF and Hatteberg at 1st holding down the position till Joey Votto is ready.

BRM
03-13-2006, 01:44 PM
Marty was saying on the radio yesterday that he believes that the Reds would be better off with Dunn in LF and Hatteberg at 1st holding down the position till Joey Votto is ready.

Why does that not surprise me? I assume this is because he doesn't want Pena in the lineup?

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 01:48 PM
I'm surprised he even wants Dunn in the lineup.

Actually, if and when Casey gets a big hit against this year I fully expect to hear Marty say we should have traded Dunn instead.

BRM
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM
What's Marty's take been on EE so far this spring?

Chip R
03-13-2006, 02:01 PM
Why does that not surprise me? I assume this is because he doesn't want Pena in the lineup?

He does have a point. Defensively that would be a better lineup. Dunn is a much better LFer than Pena and Hatteberg is probably better than Dunn at 1st. Plus you have Joey Votto in the minors who the Reds feel is darn close to being ready offensively. Meanwhile Pena rusts on the Dominican bench instead of getting his reps in LF. What do you do with Votto if he's ready? With Kearns, Pena, Jr. and Dunn there, he wouldn't get much of a chance to play. Now we have these trade rumors going on with Soriano and Pena. Even John Fay said in the paper the other day that he thinks Dunn will be in LF, Hatteberg will be at 1st and Pena will be on the bench when the Reds face Zambrano on Opening Day. Now I don't put too much stock in Fay's opinion but when he starts talking about Dunn playing LF on Opening Day and Marty starts saying Dunn in LF would be better than Pena and the trade rumors, my Spidey sense starts tingling. Personally I wouldn't trade anyone decent to JimBo unless I could give him Milton as well.

BRM
03-13-2006, 02:05 PM
Votto doesn't have one at-bat above A ball. How close is he realistically?

OnBaseMachine
03-13-2006, 02:07 PM
I read Fay's piece that said Hatteberg would start on Opening Day because of the tough righty, however, a quick glance at ESPN.com shows that Pena has hit well vs Zambrano(4 for 12). No reason to sit Wily Mo in favor of a single's hitter. IMO, the more power in the lineup the better.

BRM
03-13-2006, 02:10 PM
IMO, the more power in the lineup the better.

Them's fightin' words on these boards. ;)

Why trade Casey if we are going to downgrade the offense by placing Hatteberg at 1B? Please don't say it was to improve the pitching. It's doubtful that Dave Williams does that.

registerthis
03-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Them's fightin' words on these boards. ;)

Why trade Casey if we are going to downgrade the offense by placing Hatteberg at 1B? Please don't say it was to improve the pitching. It's doubtful that Dave Williams does that.

Probably has something to do with the $5 million or so we don't have to pay Hatteberg but DID have to pay Casey.