PDA

View Full Version : mixed drink ideas

Red in Chicago
03-11-2006, 09:19 PM
i'm looking for some good mixed drink ideas for vacation...i tend to be very boring when it comes to drinking...typically, i end up with the following:

light beer
wine
long island ice tea
bloody mary
pina colada
daiquiri

beer is too filling, bloody mary's are good in the morning, wine is good with dinner, pina colada's and daiquiri's are good at the pool and long island's are good, but can knock you on your butt a little earlier than expected...i need something that i can drink while playing cards or just socializing with friends...

as i said, i'm pretty boring...don't think i've ever had a martini or cosmo...

give me some of your favorite weekend specials:beerme:

GIK
03-11-2006, 09:48 PM
Jack Daniels and ice seems to do it.

Dom Heffner
03-11-2006, 10:20 PM
Jack Daniels and ice seems to do it.

Gosh, does it ever. I have no idea how they make whiskey, but I am so happy somebody figured it out. Put it with some Coke, too, and that's all I need.

RFS62
03-11-2006, 10:32 PM
Grey Goose and tonic, with lime.

http://blog.wardofsky.com/mages/ggoose.gif

KittyDuran
03-11-2006, 10:34 PM
I'm even more boring than you, RIC. When I DO drink it's either wine or daiquiris.

TeamBoone
03-11-2006, 10:47 PM
I don't have mixed drinks often (I really like Sam Adams). But when I do, I like gin and tonic with a twist of lime or coconut rum (Malibu) with pineapple juice. I kinda like rum anyway.

I can't stand the taste of whiskey. I like vodka but more than just a little gives me a headache (and I rarely have them). Ironically, as much as I hate whiskey, I do like whiskey sours. And as I can tolerate a bit of vodka, I occasionally indulge in a vodka collins.

All are kind of nice, summery drinks but should be swilled in moderation (is that an oxymoron?).

Johnny Footstool
03-11-2006, 11:29 PM
7 and 7 (Seagram's 7 and 7-up, or the equivalent whiskey and clear pop). Classic. Smooth tasting if mixed right, and it does the trick.

You can also visit www.webtender.com for tons of ideas.

Yachtzee
03-12-2006, 12:21 AM

Except, sub Bombay Saphire Gin for the Grey Goose.

Revering4Blue
03-12-2006, 05:22 AM
Lynchburg Lemonade-A margarita with Jack Daniels(no Tequilla) with no salt.

Scorpion- 1 part Rum, 1 part Brandy, sour mix and Orange Juice.

Sicilian Kiss- Southern Comfort and Amaretto mixed on the rocks.

Rum and ginger ale-Don't laugh..It's good.

creek14
03-12-2006, 09:50 AM
bloody mary
That's my drink of choice. It's always morning somewhere.

Raspberry martini's are to die for.

Back in my youth (legal youth) I drank Screwdrivers or Apricot Sours (sometimes made with OJ vs lemon juice). It was all about the Vitamin C. You can drink both of those for a long time without getting sloshed.

Sweetstop
03-12-2006, 01:17 PM

I have a niece who swears you can take cheap vodka and run it through a water-purifier pitcher a couple of times, and it will taste like the most expensive.

We still keep a bottle of Grey Goose in our freezer, however.

paintmered
03-12-2006, 02:38 PM
I have a niece who swears you can take cheap vodka and run it through a water-purifier pitcher a couple of times, and it will taste like the most expensive.

We still keep a bottle of Grey Goose in our freezer, however.

http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/wordpress/index.php?p=4

vaticanplum
03-12-2006, 02:42 PM
Best margarita ever:

Sauza conmemorativo, Cointreau and fresh lime juice. (NO SOUR MIX. Blasphemers.)

A few of these and you will be happy for the rest of your life.

RFS62
03-12-2006, 05:01 PM
Best margarita ever:

Sauza conmemorativo, Cointreau and fresh lime juice. (NO SOUR MIX. Blasphemers.)

Yeah, Sauza is far superior to Jose Cuervo. You can also use Grand Marnier in place of the Cointreau. The fresh lime juice takes a long time, but it's worth it. Hard to come up with enough for a party, though, in which case Jose makes a pretty nice margarita mix for basphemers.

Yachtzee
03-12-2006, 07:10 PM
Okay, now I want a Margarita.

TeamCasey
03-12-2006, 07:28 PM
You can buy frozen lime juice. We used to keep it on hand in the summer.

TeamCasey
03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
http://www.ohmygoditburns.com/wordpress/index.php?p=4

That's hysterical.

"Ken notes that the brita box tells us that the brita will reduce various elements which can cause
ôlong term liver or kidney damage". Hooray, we all think. " :laugh:

Roy Tucker
03-13-2006, 08:56 AM
The spousal unit loves apple martinis or appletinis (apple twist vodka, apple pucker schnapps). They drink them at bunko all the time. Cosmo's have been making appearances as well.

I'm a Jack on the rocks guy. Give me a drink glass with a good heft to it, some clear tinkly ice cubes, and a healthy snort of Jack and I'm set.

Roy Tucker
03-13-2006, 09:03 AM
Best margarita ever:

There you go. That's what God intended for margeritas.

I hate frozen slushy margeritas that look like they just came out of a Slurpee machine.

Having said that, Williams-Sonoma makes a decent margerita mix that will do in a pinch.

Danny Serafini
03-13-2006, 09:57 AM
Rum and ginger ale-Don't laugh..It's good.

One New Year's a friend and I were experimenting with Capt. Morgan and various flavors of Faygo. Captain and Rock 'n Rye was a surprisingly good mix, though something tells me you won't be able to order that at a bar. Captain and Moon Mist on the other hand doesn't quite work.

Red in Chicago
03-13-2006, 07:54 PM
I'm a Jack on the rocks guy. Give me a drink glass with a good heft to it, some clear tinkly ice cubes, and a healthy snort of Jack and I'm set.

you're hard core roy...other than an occasional shot, i've never been able to handle straight liquor without some sort of pop or juice added to it...as for jack, every time i've had that, it's pretty much knocked me on my butt...

Yachtzee
03-13-2006, 09:05 PM
I'm not a whiskey drinker by any means, but I had a glass of Midleton Very Rare that just might change my mind. Now if only I could find a bottle of it under $200.

vaticanplum
03-14-2006, 12:12 AM
I actually think that good whiskey and scotch on the rocks are the easiest things to drink. They go down smooth as silk...and now suddenly I'm a 70-year-old man (but it's true).

RosieRed
03-14-2006, 01:26 AM
as i said, i'm pretty boring...don't think i've ever had a martini or cosmo...

give me some of your favorite weekend specials:beerme:

Cosmopolitans are gooooood. One of my favorites. :)