PDA

View Full Version : I luv Nuxey

icehole3
03-12-2006, 07:15 AM
But....... he must retire. Cant they do something for him, a bobblehead day or something. He gets crazy every time a Red hits a flyball. I damn near jump out of seat everytime he does that. I love the guy but this has to stop, have a Nuxey week where he's showered with gifts, name a street after him for crying out loud, something so he bows out quietly. I had to get this off my chest now back to regular programming.

:p:

MrCinatit
03-12-2006, 09:46 AM
as much as i hate to say it, icehole, i do agree.
i love the guy a lot myself. my fondest childhood memories include hovering over the radio, listening to Marty and Joe. he had such a great "aw, shucks" attitude at announcing. and even though he was a die-hard homer, he was not affraid to say when the team stunk.
unfortunately, listening to him recently has become painful, and Mr. Stewart is doing a rather capable job of taking over.

westofyou
03-12-2006, 10:12 AM
Cant they do something for him, a bobblehead day or something.They must have already, I have 2 Nuxhall Bobbleheads.

wheels
03-12-2006, 10:20 AM
They've also got "Rounding Third and Headed For Home" emblazened in lights along the front of the GAB offices.

gonelong
03-12-2006, 10:22 AM
Give the guy a 15 minutes "head first" type show before the game, he's more than earned it.

It gets him to the park. It allows him to hang out with and talk to the players.

It gives us a nice little dose of Nuxy every day.

Rain delay hits, go find Nuxy.

I love Nux as much as anyone, his voice, much more so than Marty's, means Reds baseball to me. Yesterday he was calling the ST game. My neighbor flips it on in his car and nothing but static. He goes to fiddle with the radio and I tell him to wait a bit. 5 seconds ... 10 seconds ... and then Nuxy's voice.

GL

Chip R
03-12-2006, 12:20 PM
Give the guy a 15 minutes "head first" type show before the game, he's more than earned it.

It gets him to the park. It allows him to hang out with and talk to the players.

It gives us a nice little dose of Nuxy every day.

Rain delay hits, go find Nuxy.

I think those are excellent ideas except you probably don't want Joe going on road trips just for this. But there's no reason why you can't tape these in advance and play them when it's time. And during rain delays, if you can have people call in to the Banana phone, you certainly can have Joe call in instead. It'd be much more entertaining and a thousand percent more informative.

Matt700wlw
03-12-2006, 12:36 PM
Nuxy can do whatever he wants.

:)

TeamBoone
03-12-2006, 01:24 PM

This is an excellent idea.

I think those are excellent ideas except you probably don't want Joe going on road trips just for this. But there's no reason why you can't tape these in advance and play them when it's time. And during rain delays, if you can have people call in to the Banana phone, you certainly can have Joe call in instead. It'd be much more entertaining and a thousand percent more informative.

Great execution of an excellent idea.

He could even have a segment on Real Reads once a week... 5-10 minutes maybe. And they can be done from home, pretaped. They do that for a lot of their Real Reds segments.

KronoRed
03-12-2006, 02:06 PM

Disagree, he's not bigger then the Reds.

He's great, but it's past time to move him up the chain to pre game post game dude.

LoganBuck
03-12-2006, 03:05 PM
The end of yesterdays game was excrutiating. Joe butchered it. Too much activity on the field, and all we got out of Joe was the ball gets away on a wild pitch, the runner holds, then er ah ye ah wo the runner scores!

icehole3
03-12-2006, 03:12 PM
There was a couple of times he talked right over Marty when it was obvious he shouldve had his mike turned down. I luv the guy and I hate saying this, but he's hurting the broadcast. I gree with Chip, there's a lot you can do with Joe if WLW were more creative.

Chip R
03-12-2006, 03:42 PM
There was a couple of times he talked right over Marty when it was obvious he shouldve had his mike turned down. I luv the guy and I hate saying this, but he's hurting the broadcast. I gree with Chip, there's a lot you can do with Joe if WLW were more creative.

Unfortunately this is pride going before a fall. Joe probably believes he can still call a game OK. Who is going to tell him differently? Last time Allen eased him out he didn't go very quietly. Now with Bob in charge nostalgia is in once again. Former Reds are now encouraged to take an active role in coaching and high profile jobs within the organization. That isn't always a bad thing but it's window dressing to a point. Give the fans their heros back and perhaps they won't complain so loudly when the team stinks.

UKFlounder
03-12-2006, 03:43 PM
Is it WLW that needs to be creative? Or is the Reds? Or is it Nuxie himself? Would a simple 5 minute segment satisfy him and give him what he wants?

Cedric
03-12-2006, 04:02 PM
You guys take the calling of a baseball game way too seriously.

westofyou
03-12-2006, 04:29 PM
You guys take the calling of a baseball game way too seriously.
One of the best conduits to increasing your market share is through the media.

Not taking it seriously is surefire path to mediocrity.

RFS62
03-12-2006, 05:28 PM
The sound of his voice, his stories about the old days.... that's what we miss.

Not his prolonged silence and confusion doing play by play.

Find a way to take advantage of the skills he still possesses, the feature story type stuff. Play by play isn't easy, and even his biggest fans would have to agree that he's lost his edge.

WVRedsFan
03-12-2006, 08:07 PM

Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

In baseball you honor your traditions. It's only radio, not the end of the world. Sometimes he frustrates me too, but he's been doing that for 20 years. Do you put grandpa out to pasture because he's getting older?

TeamBoone
03-12-2006, 08:07 PM
One of the best conduits to increasing your market share is through the media.

Not taking it seriously is surefire path to mediocrity.

I totally agree.

When the radio is your only link, it's very very important.

I totally agree with those who say he could have a less important piece... something that would make him happy and make the fans happy.... just not play-by-play.

He does love the Reds! But then, so do I. Unfortunately, I just can't get as close to them as he does.

GAC
03-12-2006, 08:08 PM
The sound of his voice, his stories about the old days.... that's what we miss.

Not his prolonged silence and confusion doing play by play.

Find a way to take advantage of the skills he still possesses, the feature story type stuff. Play by play isn't easy, and even his biggest fans would have to agree that he's lost his edge.

He could become our chatroom moderator. :p:

djsauter
03-12-2006, 08:42 PM
Nux makes it seem like a homerun is a routine fly ball.

other times he makes it seem like a pop up to the 2nd baseman has a chance to make it out of the park.

"that ones hit deep and hard, going back, back, the 2nd baseman makes the easy catch."

TeamBoone
03-12-2006, 09:27 PM
I was outa' my chair a couple times based on what I thought was happening, only to be disappointed.

ghettochild
03-12-2006, 09:56 PM
i wonder if he ever did that on the mound

Heath
03-12-2006, 09:56 PM
I wish Bernerd Gilkey was un-retired.

redlegs2370
03-13-2006, 10:13 AM
With new ownership has anyone heard if Joe will do more games on the radio this year?

I hope so, after two seasons I still have trouble listening to Steve S.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 11:38 AM

But you don't have trouble listening to Joe?

Caseyfan21
03-13-2006, 12:19 PM
Amen!!!!!!!!!!!

In baseball you honor your traditions. It's only radio, not the end of the world. Sometimes he frustrates me too, but he's been doing that for 20 years. Do you put grandpa out to pasture because he's getting older?

I support this post.

To those that say the radio is a way to increase your market share, it's not like the Reds have done anything worthwhile the past few years like, say the Cards or Indians, to increase your market share. Besides maybe changing or picking up an affiliate, WLW is still being broadcast to the same places it has been the past several years. I know that games are online now but I would guess that several of the online listeners are just displaced Ohioans such as I will be this summer. Odds are those people have grown up listening to Nuxey and enjoy having him back. I think, despite his shortcomings in play by play, having him do games might actually increase the listening audience for the casual fan. I know that whenever I hear Nuxey will be doing a game nowdays, I try to listen if I can because it's something different and something that brings back great memories for me.

Now, if the Reds ditch WLW and move to a new affiliate or start their own station, it could be time to worry about increasing market shares. They would be putting their product out to a new batch of fans and would want to make the most favorable impression. But if the listening audience is the same as it has always been, I think having Nuxey on air, for better or worse, will spark interest in a lot of the older casual fans.

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 12:52 PM
With new ownership has anyone heard if Joe will do more games on the radio this year?

Yes he will, the Reds inability to let go of the past lives on.

westofyou
03-13-2006, 12:54 PM
Odds are those people have grown up listening to Nuxey and enjoy having him back. I think, despite his shortcomings in play by play, having him do games might actually increase the listening audience for the casual fan.

Might, Odds, despite.... all great words when making excuses.

Besides maybe changing or picking up an affiliate, WLW is still being broadcast to the same places it has been the past several years.

How's that working for the Reds? their attendance has dropped the last 3 years in a row.

it's not like the Reds have done anything worthwhile the past few years like, say the Cards or Indians, to increase your market share.

And with what you propose for the radio side should ensure that streak remains intact.

Falls City Beer
03-13-2006, 12:57 PM
One of the great gnawing problems with the Reds' organization is their sentimentality.

It reminds me of that great Talking Heads lyric: "Be a little more selfish; it might do you some good."

Caseyfan21
03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
How's that working for the Reds? their attendance has dropped the last 3 years in a row

And with what you propose for the radio side should ensure that streak remains intact.

I never said it was working for the Reds. I made the point that the Reds haven't made any changes in their radio broadcasts in the past several years. People earlier in the thread had said that getting rid of Nuxey would draw more fans in. My point was that the same fans are here and, other than internet broadcasts, there is no chance that the Reds can attract anyone new.

If the Reds could get their own radio station like the Cards, or own TV network like the Indians are setting up (or Cubs, or Braves), then they would have a legitimate chance of attracting new listeners. As it stands now the same areas that have been getting the Reds keep getting the broadcasts. I would guarentee that a larger majority of those people would rather hear Joe Nuxhall than Steve Stewart. Like it or hate it, Reds fans can only rely on the past to smile when thinking about baseball. BCast is smart to tap into the whole sentiment factor when filling positions, it will attract more interest from the casual fan. I never said it was correct (because it isn't - you should get the best qualified people), but it's the truth and it will help the Reds make more money by attracting more people. When we see so many people on here calling for Nuxhall to hang it up, we have to keep it in perspective and realize that Redszone represents a small portion of Reds fans, the more informed portion ;) .

Personally, I would like to see Joe stay as a novelty, do 15-20 games per year. Steve does a good job; as good of a job as he can with Marty's ego taking up most of the booth. Steve is definately much better at PbP than Nuxey and is much easier to listen to.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 08:08 PM
Do you put grandpa out to pasture because he's getting older?

If he's unable to do the job, I'm sure the company he works for will.... and that's the way it should be.

It's only radio, not the end of the world.

No, it's not the end of the world. But I'm a baseball fanatic. I want to be able to turn on the game and know what's going on with my favorite team, not have to guess or be misled.

I take my baseball seriously, and I think the station airing the game should do the same by hiring a broadcaster that's going to offer me the product that I expect and deserve. And if it doesn't, I'll no longer be a customer.

westofyou
03-13-2006, 09:59 PM
Like it or hate it, Reds fans can only rely on the past to smile when thinking about baseball.
Gee, I guess I'm not a Reds fan.

But I do remember Harry Carey when he was good and when he was on his way out.

The good Harry was better.

redlegs2370
03-14-2006, 12:55 PM
Yes I have listened to Joe since 1975 and still enjoy listening to him call a game. He is the Cincinnati Reds and he is for the Reds.

You can tell that Steve Stewart is not a Reds fan, he calls a home run for either team the same way.

LoganBuck
03-14-2006, 01:18 PM
You can tell that Steve Stewart is not a Reds fan, he calls a home run for either team the same way.

I disagree, I feel that Steve gets plenty of emotion for the important homers, but in a game when the Reds are 15 games back in the standings, a second inning solo shot by Rich Aurillia doesn't need too much emotion. Don't let your love for Joe, pollute your opinion of Steve. You sound like a Buckeye fan who can't let go of Woody Hayes.

redlegs2370
03-15-2006, 12:08 AM
No I'm not a Buckeye fan trying to hold on to Woody Hayes. However they didn't cheat when Woody was coaching like the little midget they have now.

We are all entitled to our opinions and I prefer Joe. If I'm going to be worried about 100% accuracy I'll watch TV or go to the game. I listen to the radio because I like the interaction between Marty and Joe and the stories Joe tells.

I don't think Steve is a bad guy but I don't think he is cut out for play by play. We have the best play by play in baseball, I think the other guy in the booth should be a former player. If not Joe then Tracy Jones,Tom Browning, or Chris Welsh. Why do Cub fans love Ron Santo so much? Because he was a former player. What kind of connection do any of the Reds fans have with Steve? Nothing.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 12:10 AM
Marty won't do PBP for 9 innings.

The best plan would be Steve for PBP and Joe as the other guy.

Give Marty a pre game show.

Caseyfan21
03-15-2006, 12:50 AM

I wonder if 9 innings would be enough off for him? :)

Ron Madden
03-15-2006, 05:03 AM
No I'm not a Buckeye fan trying to hold on to Woody Hayes. However they didn't cheat when Woody was coaching like the little midget they have now.

We are all entitled to our opinions and I prefer Joe. If I'm going to be worried about 100% accuracy I'll watch TV or go to the game. I listen to the radio because I like the interaction between Marty and Joe and the stories Joe tells.

I don't think Steve is a bad guy but I don't think he is cut out for play by play. We have the best play by play in baseball, I think the other guy in the booth should be a former player. If not Joe then Tracy Jones,Tom Browning, or Chris Welsh. Why do Cub fans love Ron Santo so much? Because he was a former player. What kind of connection do any of the Reds fans have with Steve? Nothing.

There are thousands of fans that depend on the radio broadcast. Not everyone is blessed with the gift of eye sight and not everyone can get a television broadcast of the game.

Many radio listeners Depend on the announcers to paint the picture of the game through play by play.

IMHO Steve is now the better PBP man of the three.

scounts22
03-15-2006, 12:18 PM

I'm only 27 but I've listened to Marty and Joe for probaby 15 years because games were never broadcast where I live (unless they played the Braves). There's nothing I loved more than turning on the radio to hear Marty and Joe, but I have to admit I'm tired of hearing Marty's griping about EVERYTHING and the enormous...um...pauses by Joe. I like Steve, I think he's doing a good job. I have formed a connection with him because he "connects" me to the play by play of the game and what's going on.

LoganBuck
03-15-2006, 01:07 PM

You obviously missed the meaning of the Woody Hayes comparison. Some people just won't let go. Up until a few years ago, you would still hear "Woody would have done it...".

Once more you are letting your love of Joe pollute your opinion of Steve. Steve is head and shoulders above Joe for PBP, the only areas where Joe has the advantage is his knowledge of being a player and nostalga.

Cedric
03-15-2006, 01:58 PM

The best plan for you. Luckily you probably represent about 1% of Reds fans in this area. Marty calls a game in his sleep better than Steve. It's not his fault you guys think every baseball game is as important as the last supper. Luckily I think the average day to day fan respects and loves Marty and Joe.

westofyou
03-15-2006, 02:05 PM
It's not his fault you guys think every baseball game is as important as the last supper.
Well this is a baseball board, the game is important to the people who post here, He is there to actually call the game, otherwise he'd be at home, maybe we should just vote on our favorite JTM commercial during the broadcast and get on with our lives?

Who cares what the score is, or who's at bat... we just want our baseball wet nurse to envelope us in good feelings of freshly cut grass and the sound of kids playing in the yard.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 02:26 PM
Luckily I think the average day to day fan respects and loves Marty and Joe.
The avg day to day fan thinks Marty and Joe will somehow connect this team to the big red machine and lead them to a world series title.

Cedric
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
The avg day to day fan thinks Marty and Joe will somehow connect this team to the big red machine and lead them to a world series title.

Nah, they just love Marty and Joe. You from these parts?

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 02:55 PM
Nope, guess I'm not a "Real" Reds fan right?

A HOF player would not be run out non stop to bat clean up if he was batting .150, no matter how well loved.

bucksfan
03-15-2006, 02:56 PM
I reallly like hearing (or "not hearing" ;) ) Joe on the air also. He has always been a very very large part of the Reds for me. My home office has a framed picture of Joe, 2 of his baseball cards displayed, and a painting of him and Marty together (as well as a bunch of other stufff- it's not a shrine or anything!) But Steve is growing on me, and most relevant IMO is that it is inevitable that Joe will be done broadcasting much sooner than later.

I want to hear as many games from Joe as I can while he still can do it. For my tastes/purposes, he is still OK as long as he is not alone in the booth.

I can let go ;) (I am a Buckeye fan and I never looked back wishing for Woody Hayes) but will be sad to see Joe go.

pedro
03-15-2006, 02:58 PM
Nah, they just love Marty and Joe. You from these parts?

You don't have to live in Cincinnati any longer to know that Marty is no longer a top notch announcer.

If you want to hear about his golf game more power to you. I'd rather listen to a baseball game. Marty thinks we tune in to listen to him, not the Reds, and it's time for him to move on.

pedro
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I think Gonelong and Chip propose excellent solutions to keep Joe involved without leaning too much on him.

scounts22
03-15-2006, 03:16 PM
The best plan for you. Luckily you probably represent about 1% of Reds fans in this area. Marty calls a game in his sleep better than Steve. It's not his fault you guys think every baseball game is as important as the last supper. Luckily I think the average day to day fan respects and loves Marty and Joe.

Marty should call a game better than Steve, he's been around FOR-EV-ER! He's great when he's actually calling the game, in between his rants and raves about whatever is irking him on a particular day. That's what grates on my nerves. He can be soooo negative and downright nasty sometimes and I don't want to hear that when I listen to a game. I watch/listen to baseball for fun and to relax...I get enough of that other crap at work!

To get back to Joe, I have enjoyed listening to him, but I agree with many others on this thread that his PBP needs to be limited. Make him useful in some other way, whether it's a pregame show or something else, so he's at least still accessible to fans. He brings a lot of tradition and memories to the game and it definitely wouldn't be the same without him. Everybody loves Joe; how could you not?!?!

Cedric
03-15-2006, 05:23 PM
Nope, guess I'm not a "Real" Reds fan right?

A HOF player would not be run out non stop to bat clean up if he was batting .150, no matter how well loved.

Of course the .150 is factual and not an opinion. Just because a few people on redszone rant and rave about Marty doesn't mean he is hitting .150

Reds Nd2
03-15-2006, 05:36 PM
Of course the .150 is factual and not an opinion. Just because a few people on redszone rant and rave about Marty doesn't mean he is hitting .150

Just because I like tomato sandwiches doesn't make it any easier to listen to Marty either.

TeamBoone
03-15-2006, 06:15 PM

really?

No problem with Marty when he sticks to the game, but when he doesn't... I rant and rave about Marty and will continue to do so.

BTW, Krono is from these parts and goes to a lot of games as well as listens to them on the radio... just like the rest of us from these parts.

Reds Nd2
03-16-2006, 01:18 AM
It's not his fault you guys think every baseball game is as important as the last supper.

"Baseball is more than a game to me, it's a religon." ~Bill Klem

pedro
03-16-2006, 01:32 AM

That's funny because I get the impression from Marty that he thinks he was at The Last Supper.

Reds Nd2
03-16-2006, 01:56 AM
For I have given you an example, that ye should do as I have said to you. Happy are those batters that avoid the strike out.

RollyInRaleigh
03-16-2006, 06:55 AM
That's funny because I get the impression from Marty that he thinks he was at The Last Supper.

Just ask a few on the board. They'll tell you if he was there or not.:laugh:

gonelong
03-16-2006, 09:14 AM

... as the guest of honor. :p:

GL

redlegs2370
03-16-2006, 09:44 AM
You obviously missed the meaning of the Woody Hayes comparison. Some people just won't let go. Up until a few years ago, you would still hear "Woody would have done it...".

Once more you are letting your love of Joe pollute your opinion of Steve. Steve is head and shoulders above Joe for PBP, the only areas where Joe has the advantage is his knowledge of being a player and nostalga.

I did get the meaning; I just thought I could get a jab in on Jim Tressel because I think they are a bunch of cheaters.

In my honest opinion I don't think Joe is that bad and I think Steve is terrible. I see where you are coming from though and I respect your opinion. Obviously if the majority of the fans like Steve and think that Joe is no longer effective on the air, then I'll have to live with it.

If not Joe I would like to see a former player in the booth. I would say the Cubs now have a better radio booth because Ron Santo is great. That is what the Reds need. If that means putting 3 guys in the booth because Marty will not do all 9 innings then they need to do that.

KittyDuran
03-16-2006, 12:45 PM
If not Joe I would like to see a former player in the booth. I would say the Cubs now have a better radio booth because Ron Santo is great. That is what the Reds need. If that means putting 3 guys in the booth because Marty will not do all 9 innings then they need to do that.And eventually they (the Reds) will get a former player to join STEVE - not Marty. I've said this so many times on so many threads BUT...I've have never looked at Steve as being a replacement for Joe. Steve is a pbp guy (and a damn good one) - pure and simple, and IMHO he was hired to replace Marty when that time comes. Another thing is (and I've mentioned this over and over) is that I could care less who is broadcasting when I'm at home watching the game or at the game. But I want a broadcast of the game when I'm in my car or away from the TV/game - and that means the score, who's batting, what inning, etc. That is something sorely lacking when you have both Marty and Joe in the booth now - Steve brings this to the table on every game (even ST games).

It's kind of funny, but I didn't warm up to Marty for a couple years - I really liked Al Michaels - but us Reds fans still had Joe, so that helped. Eventually Marty and Joe will have to go - I just hope it's done with more class and grace than either have shown lately.

Rant over...:angry:

pedro
03-16-2006, 07:55 PM
I wish Paul O'Neil would come and announce for the Reds. He's really good.

BigRed
03-16-2006, 11:27 PM
I have also listened to Marty and Joe for years and enjoyed them. Neither are as good as they used to be. However, I do believe that they should be afforded the respect that they deserve. Through a lot of years of losing, they kept me entertained and listening to games when it would have been easy to have given up and done something else. Due to loyalty, it is not easy to just throw them to the curb. I have no problem with Steve, but would like a former player or manager to do the games. Someone that played the game might be able to provide more incite into strategy and what players and managers are thinking during certain situations.

remdog
03-16-2006, 11:46 PM
And eventually they (the Reds) will get a former player to join STEVE - not Marty. I've said this so many times on so many threads BUT...I've have never looked at Steve as being a replacement for Joe. Steve is a pbp guy (and a damn good one) - pure and simple, and IMHO he was hired to replace Marty when that time comes. Another thing is (and I've mentioned this over and over) is that I could care less who is broadcasting when I'm at home watching the game or at the game. But I want a broadcast of the game when I'm in my car or away from the TV/game - and that means the score, who's batting, what inning, etc. That is something sorely lacking when you have both Marty and Joe in the booth now - Steve brings this to the table on every game (even ST games).

It's kind of funny, but I didn't warm up to Marty for a couple years - I really liked Al Michaels - but us Reds fans still had Joe, so that helped. Eventually Marty and Joe will have to go - I just hope it's done with more class and grace than either have shown lately.

:clap: Just another reason I'm in love with Kitty! :luvu:

Rem

KronoRed
03-17-2006, 02:10 AM
So not just the Duran Duran stuff? ;)

KittyDuran
03-17-2006, 06:38 AM
:clap: Just another reason I'm in love with Kitty! :luvu:

RemAwww, thanks! [I guess you want another bobblehead, right? ;) ] :D

redlegs2370
03-17-2006, 08:50 AM
And eventually they (the Reds) will get a former player to join STEVE - not Marty. I've said this so many times on so many threads BUT...I've have never looked at Steve as being a replacement for Joe. Steve is a pbp guy (and a damn good one) - pure and simple, and IMHO he was hired to replace Marty when that time comes. Another thing is (and I've mentioned this over and over) is that I could care less who is broadcasting when I'm at home watching the game or at the game. But I want a broadcast of the game when I'm in my car or away from the TV/game - and that means the score, who's batting, what inning, etc. That is something sorely lacking when you have both Marty and Joe in the booth now - Steve brings this to the table on every game (even ST games).

IMHO Steve will never be able to replace Marty. I would hope they would offer Marty's job to his son Tom.

BTW if Steve is so good why didn't other major league baseball teams pick him up or why don't you hear him calling another sport.

If Steve is such a great announcer why did Junior request that Marty or Joe make the call of his 500th home run?

I just don't understand why people think Steve does such a great job.

Chip R
03-17-2006, 09:13 AM
IMHO Steve will never be able to replace Marty. I would hope they would offer Marty's job to his son Tom.

BTW if Steve is so good why didn't other major league baseball teams pick him up or why don't you hear him calling another sport.

If Steve is such a great announcer why did Junior request that Marty or Joe make the call of his 500th home run?

I just don't understand why people think Steve does such a great job.

Are you serious? Keep dreaming Thom will take the job cause it wont happen? Why in the world would you leave a job where you have been able to make your own name in the business? WHy would you leave Phoenix for Cincinnati? Why would you come someplace where everyone compares you to your father?

Steve had a job with the Baltimore Orioles before he came here. It isnt like they picked him up out of the stands.
Let me ask you if Joe is so great, why didnt other major league teams pick him up or why doesnt he do other sports?

As for Jr. requesting Marty and Joe call his home run, like most of us he grew up listening to Marty and Joe. Hes known them pretty much most his life. He knew Steve just for a few months. Youre digging pretty deep now.

I guess if you dont know why people like Steve, you havent read much of this thread.

redlegs2370
03-17-2006, 09:55 AM
Are you serious? Keep dreaming Thom will take the job cause it wont happen? Why in the world would you leave a job where you have been able to make your own name in the business? WHy would you leave Phoenix for Cincinnati? Why would you come someplace where everyone compares you to your father?

Steve had a job with the Baltimore Orioles before he came here. It isnt like they picked him up out of the stands.
Let me ask you if Joe is so great, why didnt other major league teams pick him up or why doesnt he do other sports?

As for Jr. requesting Marty and Joe call his home run, like most of us he grew up listening to Marty and Joe. Hes known them pretty much most his life. He knew Steve just for a few months. Youre digging pretty deep now.

I guess if you dont know why people like Steve, you havent read much of this thread.

Maybe he would want to come home and be close to family. Why did Junior want to come back to Cincinnati? There were other teams just as close to his Fla home that had a better chance of winning a World Series. I thought Cincinnati was a special place that people wanted to raise their family; I guess I must be wrong.

Joe Buck has made a pretty good name for himself (Super Bowl, and World Series) and he followed his father in St. Louis; in fact many people think he is one of the greatest in pbp. Why would he want to stay in St. Louis? Oh maybe because it is a baseball town. Didn't St. Louis already replace the announcer that took Jack Buck's place? Why, well I'm sure it had something with St. Louis fans living in the past and their enjoyment for Jack Buck. It is those kind of things that makes St. Louis such a great sports town.

I know Steve was with Baltimore but he was not a full time announcer. Name another sport he does? I don't see him on Fox doing NFL games or here him doing NCAA basketball games.

The great announcers, Marty, Jack Buck, Vin Scully, and Ernie Harwell (just to name a few) will announce the game and it is like a story. I don't get that with Steve. You said I didn't read this post if I didn't understand. I want more than someone telling me the inning, score, pitch count, and who is on first.

TeamBoone
03-17-2006, 10:37 AM
I want more than someone telling me the inning, score, pitch count, and who is on first.

I guess you like hearing about the tomato crop and golf scores. Not me.

Chip R
03-17-2006, 11:05 AM
Maybe he would want to come home and be close to family. Why did Junior want to come back to Cincinnati? There were other teams just as close to his Fla home that had a better chance of winning a World Series. I thought Cincinnati was a special place that people wanted to raise their family; I guess I must be wrong.

Joe Buck has made a pretty good name for himself (Super Bowl, and World Series) and he followed his father in St. Louis; in fact many people think he is one of the greatest in pbp. Why would he want to stay in St. Louis? Oh maybe because it is a baseball town. Didn't St. Louis already replace the announcer that took Jack Buck's place? Why, well I'm sure it had something with St. Louis fans living in the past and their enjoyment for Jack Buck. It is those kind of things that makes St. Louis such a great sports town.

I know Steve was with Baltimore but he was not a full time announcer. Name another sport he does? I don't see him on Fox doing NFL games or here him doing NCAA basketball games.

The great announcers, Marty, Jack Buck, Vin Scully, and Ernie Harwell (just to name a few) will announce the game and it is like a story. I don't get that with Steve. You said I didn't read this post if I didn't understand. I want more than someone telling me the inning, score, pitch count, and who is on first.

He has his own family in Arizona where he can play golf whenever he wants. He has been the only play by play guy they have had there. He is the voice of their organization. Cincinnati is not the only place in the world where one can raise a family as hard as it is for some to believe that. As for Jr. he came back because the Reds offered him alot of money and a long term deal. If the Reds had offered him a 2 year deal for $5M a year do you think he would be playing here?

Joe Buck has made a name for himself in St. Louis. He is comfortable following in his fathers footsteps and that is fine for him. But he was already there working with his father. Ever since he started he has been in St. Louis. I did not see Skip Carey come up to Chicago after his father died.

I am afraid I do not have Steves resume with me now so I do not know what other sports he has done. How many other sports did Waite Hoyt do? What about Red Barber? Vin Scully and Jack Buck did not do other sports until they had several year under their belts. And you did not answer my question about Joe Nuxhall. Why are there not teams beating down his door to get them to do their games? How many other sports has Joe announced?

You do not get that with Steve because you have already made up your mind about him. The problem you and others have with Steve is not because he is not a good announcer. It is because he is not Joe Nuxhall. One day, and I hope it is not for a long time, Joe will meet his maker. I hope by then you will be able to move on.

redlegs2370
03-17-2006, 11:21 AM
I guess you like hearing about the tomato crop and golf scores. Not me.
Yes as a matter of fact I do like them telling me who is winning the Masters, Indy 500, or NCAA tournament. If I'm listening to the Reds I probably don't know what's going on elsewhere. That is why I have always enjoyed the broadcast so much.

pedro
03-17-2006, 11:43 AM
I want more than someone telling me the inning, score, pitch count, and who is on first.

Not at the expense of relaying that information which is the entire reason for the broadcast in the first place.

Vin Scully never acts the celebrity and tells about his personal life. Why does Marty have to?

redlegs2370
03-17-2006, 12:00 PM
As for Jr. he came back because the Reds offered him alot of money and a long term deal. If the Reds had offered him a 2 year deal for $5M a year do you think he would be playing here?

Joe Buck has made a name for himself in St. Louis. He is comfortable following in his fathers footsteps and that is fine for him. But he was already there working with his father. Ever since he started he has been in St. Louis. I did not see Skip Carey come up to Chicago after his father died.

I am afraid I do not have Steves resume with me now so I do not know what other sports he has done. How many other sports did Waite Hoyt do? What about Red Barber? Vin Scully and Jack Buck did not do other sports until they had several year under their belts. And you did not answer my question about Joe Nuxhall. Why are there not teams beating down his door to get them to do their games? How many other sports has Joe announced?

You do not get that with Steve because you have already made up your mind about him. The problem you and others have with Steve is not because he is not a good announcer. It is because he is not Joe Nuxhall. One day, and I hope it is not for a long time, Joe will meet his maker. I hope by then you will be able to move on.

I remember when the trade for Junior went down in the press conference Jr. talked about growing up and watching the Big Red Machine and playing at Riverfront Stadium. I guess that didn't have anything to do with his decision. At that time he could have demanded 17-18 million a year so I don't think money was that big of a factor.

As for replacing Harry Carey, I believe his grandson replaced him (Chip Carey). So the Cubs organization wanted a familiar name.

Yes I will agree Steve is not Joe, but I want an announcer that is a Reds fan. Why do Cub fans relate so well to Santo, because he loves the Cubs and has great passion? That is what I want in someone calling the game. Listen to a Pacer game and Slick Leonard loves the Pacers and Mark Boyles is very energetic in his pbp call. That is what I want. Someone who bleeds Cincinnati Red, I just don't feel it when I listen to Steve.

Little Alex
03-17-2006, 12:57 PM
I know I'll get roasted for this, but I never liked Marty. Not even in the 1980's, which I consider to be their prime. Only tolerated him because of the fun banter between Nuxie and Marty. Like an Abbott and Costello thing, I guess.

But now its all different. Nuxie has lost it, and Marty never had it. But, that being said, especially if I am watching the game with the sound off, I'd rather hear Nuxie babble about whatever, as opposed to listen to Marty or whoever.

Can they call a good game? Usually. Are they boring as all heck (especially Marty's holier than thou rants)? Always.

LoganBuck
03-17-2006, 02:23 PM
I remember when the trade for Junior went down in the press conference Jr. talked about growing up and watching the Big Red Machine and playing at Riverfront Stadium. I guess that didn't have anything to do with his decision. At that time he could have demanded 17-18 million a year so I don't think money was that big of a factor.

As for replacing Harry Carey, I believe his grandson replaced him (Chip Carey). So the Cubs organization wanted a familiar name.

Yes I will agree Steve is not Joe, but I want an announcer that is a Reds fan. Why do Cub fans relate so well to Santo, because he loves the Cubs and has great passion? That is what I want in someone calling the game. Listen to a Pacer game and Slick Leonard loves the Pacers and Mark Boyles is very energetic in his pbp call. That is what I want. Someone who bleeds Cincinnati Red, I just don't feel it when I listen to Steve.

So you want a one sided homer to call the game? I would love to hear a entire broadcast talking about how great a AAA pitcher is who is getting his head beat in, I can hear it now.....

TeamBoone
03-17-2006, 03:09 PM
Yes as a matter of fact I do like them telling me who is winning the Masters, Indy 500, or NCAA tournament. If I'm listening to the Reds I probably don't know what's going on elsewhere. That is why I have always enjoyed the broadcast so much.

Is that what I said?

I believe I mentioned tomatoes and THEIR respective golf games. I could not care less about those things. I'm listening because I want to know what's happening on the field... and that's the only reason. If I have the option of watching instead of listening, I'll be doing that.

TeamBoone
03-17-2006, 03:17 PM
Yes I will agree Steve is not Joe, but I want an announcer that is a Reds fan. Someone who bleeds Cincinnati Red, I just don't feel it when I listen to Steve.

For Pete's sake, give the guy a chance to become a Reds' fan!! And for what it's worth, IMHO, I truly think he is now. He's morphed by osmosis, just like Marty did in the 70's when he first showed up in Cincinnati.

I suppose the announcers that do different games every week on FOX, etc are no good because they're not fans of the teams they're announcing... granted, some of them are no good, but that's not the reason.

I know one thing. Steve has got to be one of the most tolerant individuals I've ever seen to put up with all the crap he has been dealt.

He's given up a lot of the games that he was hired to do, even in this, his third season. He's stepped down gracefully on every occasion to accomodate Joe.

He also tolerates the ding-dongs on the banana phone that call in to gush about Joe as if Steve isn't sitting in the booth listening.