PDA

View Full Version : Wow UC got screwed

Hoosier Red
03-12-2006, 06:43 PM
Who let Nancy onto the selection comittee?

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 06:48 PM
Yes we did, BIG TIME. Air Force is in over UC? Give me a break, they didn't beat a single RPI top 50 team all season.

This is friggin unreal.

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Alabama or Air Force over UC? Horrible.

Alabama went 17-12 and only had three or four key wins and still made it. I can think of a few team with as many quality wins as Alabama that didn't make it.

KittyDuran
03-12-2006, 06:52 PM
Yes we did, BIG TIME. Air Force is in over UC? Give me a break, they didn't beat a single RPI top 50 team all season.

This is friggin unreal.And the guys at CBS are giving the selection committee what for too... :p:

Cyclone792
03-12-2006, 07:03 PM
I'd like to see how many games Air Force would have won had they played in the Big East this season.

What a joke.

OnBaseMachine
03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
USC, who I know had zero shot at making the NCAA tourney, had just as an impressive resume as Alabama and SC may not even make the NIT. Cincy should have made it over 'Bama and Air Force.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 07:25 PM
I know Zimpher and Thomas were planning on a tourney bid to help buy them some slack with the coaching hire, this is probably the last thing they wanted to see.

The pressure on them just went up about 3 levels. It's going to ignite the Huggins debate all over again.

Freddie_Free
03-12-2006, 07:27 PM
This is almost as bad as GW getting an 8...

Blimpie
03-12-2006, 07:27 PM
I agree that Air Force and even George Mason should not have gotten in over UC--but Alabama DID deserve the nod IMO.

Last year, Mark Gottfried (Bama Coach) was ticked off when they were passed over for the tourney. He was told then that it was because their non-SEC schedule was too weak. So, this year, Bama went out and scheduled a far tougher schedule than the previous year. Their RPI and conference record alone should have gotten them in this year.

Edited to show non-conference foes:

Cincinnati
Murray St.
Illinois St.
Holy Cross
Dayton
Memphis
Vandy
Ohio
Tennessee Tech
Arkansas-Monticello
LSU
Miami (OH)
NC A&T
Xavier

Alabama
Miami (OH)
Memphis
Alabama St
Louisiana Tech
Winthrop
Notre Dame
Temple
Georgia St
NC State
Jackson St
Oklahoma
Birmingham Southern

My take:

I give UC major props for scheduling LSU out of conference. Vandy and Memphis are tough, but Bama played both of them and had LSU twice. Xavier is a good one that Bama did not play.

Alabama had NC State and Oklahoma out of conference. They also played a pretty good Big East foe in Notre Dame (as did UC, of course). Winthrop is better than most people think, too.

Basically, if either Air Force or George Mason are out, you still have room for UC. Hell, I think Creighton deserved a nod over either or those two. The Big East was definitely tought this year than the SEC, but the non-conference RPI still holds much weight with the committee.

reds1869
03-12-2006, 07:28 PM
I'm one Xavier fan who agrees with you. UC is much better than Air Force or Alabama either one. Granted, I still think it's pretty funny. <ducking>

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 07:37 PM
This is almost as bad as GW getting an 8...

I had GW at about a 5/6. The injury to Pops and the horrible schedule (3rd worst non-conference schedule in all of Division 1) killed them.

Air Force over UC, I still can't believe. I need a drink.

KittyDuran
03-12-2006, 07:39 PM
I had GW at about a 5/6. The injury to Pops and the horrible schedule (3rd worst non-conference schedule in all of Division 1) killed them.

Air Force over UC, I still can't believe. I need a drink.This thread might help with some ideas...

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43684

;)

WMR
03-12-2006, 07:51 PM
Dang, I can't believe UC got left out... that's horrible. If anyone deserved to get in, they did.

TeamBoone
03-12-2006, 07:55 PM
I'm sick; just sick.

The 7th toughest schedule in the country! 8-8 in their first year of the Big East. At least it's comforting to hear the commentators also bemoaning the fact that UC was overlooked... but it really doesn't help me feel better. I didn't think the head guy on the selection committee was very convincing in defending the Alabama and AF selections... I don't think the commentators did either. (what's his name? Littlepage?)

Sick; just sick. It's ruined the entire tournament for me, and I'm usually so excited.

PS - I'm glad to see the Muskies make it.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 07:59 PM
This is from the editor of the Louisville Sports Report, these guys have tons of connections to the L'Ville AD's office and to Pitino himself.

If this is true NANCY ZIMPHER SHOULD BE FIRED TOMORROW AT 8AM.

Interesting info: Cincinnati left out.

So we're hearing that Cincinnati's new President Nancy Zimpher and their brand-new A.D. didn't necessarily lobby for the Bearcats to make the NCAA Tournament this season, despite finishing 8-8 in the Big East and 19-12 overall.

The word on the street says they were a little tense with Kennedy until it became completely clear they had no intention of hiring him as the head coach, which is when he brought in Bob Huggins for the last regular season game for Senior Night. Apparently, that made the UC academes so angry they had no intention of pushing to hard for their bubble team.

So Cincy - a team ranked No. 32 in the RPI - got left out, but Boston College, Bradley, Indiana, Kansas, Air Force, Kentucky, North Carolina State, Georgetown, Creighton, Syracuse, UAB, Arkansas, Alabama, Seton Hall and Texas A&M all got in and were all ranked below the Bearcats.

Danny Serafini
03-12-2006, 08:04 PM
Air Force making the tournament is a joke. That goes up there with N. Iowa last year and New Mexico a few years back as the worst at large selections I've ever seen. Don't understand all of the hating on Alabama, who definitely earned their way in, but Cincinnati should've gone before Air Force and Utah St. (both bad picks in my opinion) as well as a number of others who made it. I just don't get this one.

Reds Fanatic
03-12-2006, 08:06 PM
Air Force getting in over UC is one the worst decisions I have ever seen by a selection committee. If Air Force would have played in the Big East they would have finished last or near last in that conference.

captainmorgan07
03-12-2006, 08:09 PM
they got screwed big time they should be in over a number of teams and they deserve to be in

WVRed
03-12-2006, 08:19 PM
they got screwed big time they should be in over a number of teams and they deserve to be in

Namely Air Force.

I'm glad we don't have Nancy Zimpher anywhere near Lexington.:evil:

paintmered
03-12-2006, 08:24 PM
This is from the editor of the Louisville Sports Report, these guys have tons of connections to the L'Ville AD's office and to Pitino himself.

If this is true NANCY ZIMPHER SHOULD BE FIRED TOMORROW AT 8AM.

If that is true, then wow - there needs to be a coup in Clifton tomorrow.

That is beyond petty and immature.

Reds Fanatic
03-12-2006, 08:25 PM
What is amazing is that committee chair kept talking about encouraging teams to play tough schedules and that was the message the committee wanted to send with its selections. He says that but UC was 5th in the country in strength of schedule while Air Force was 158th in strength of schedule.

max venable
03-12-2006, 08:28 PM
Every year some school's fans somewhere is ticked off for the same reasons. It just happens. I thought UC deserved to be in. But every year...somebody gets screwed.

paintmered
03-12-2006, 08:31 PM
Every year some school's fans somewhere is ticked off for the same reasons. It just happens. I thought UC deserved to be in. But every year...somebody gets screwed.

Very easy to say when your team gets to play 90 minutes away from their campus.

OSU deserves it, don't get me wrong. It's just really easy to say "well that sucks" to another fanbase when your team is sitting high and mighty.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 08:33 PM

OSU deserves it, don't get me wrong. It's just really easy to say "well that sucks" to another fanbase when your team is sitting high and mighty.

Well, they ain't too high and mighty, the lost to Iowa. :D

Reds Fanatic
03-12-2006, 08:43 PM
According to an article from the Enquirer UC is not sure whether they will even accept an NIT bid. NIT bids are announced at 9 PM ET on ESPNU and ESPN News.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 08:46 PM
Word is Maryland and Stanford are turning down NIT bids, I hope UC does as well.

Danny Serafini
03-12-2006, 09:05 PM
Why would you hope they turn down the bid?

flyer85
03-12-2006, 09:12 PM
The Kirkland injury was held against them(according to Littlepage). He was even one of their top 3 players. Seems like the committee was looking for a reason not to put them in.

max venable
03-12-2006, 09:13 PM

You bet it's easier to say...no doubt. But I also said that I thought UC deserved to be in. If the shoe was on the other foot I be ticked off just like you guys are.

And on another topic...why turn down an NIT bid? What does that accomplish? If you're a senior don't you want to play a few more games? I don't see what turning down an NIT bid does for you.

It's extra games, extra revenue, a little extra tournament experience, and a few more games for your guys who have worked hard. If I'm UC I'm saying, "Come on guys, let's go win that freakin' NIT.

paintmered
03-12-2006, 09:19 PM
You bet it's easier to say...no doubt. But I also said that I thought UC deserved to be in. If the shoe was on the other foot I be ticked off just like you guys are.

And on another topic...why turn down an NIT bid? What does that accomplish? If you're a senior don't you want to play a few more games? I don't see what turning down an NIT bid does for you.

It's extra games, extra revenue, a little extra tournament experience, and a few more games for your guys who have worked hard. If I'm UC I'm saying, "Come on guys, let's go win that freakin' NIT.

I don't think they should turn down the bid. But if they do, it will be their little way of saying "screw you" to the NCAA.

max venable
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I don't think they should turn down the bid. But if they do, it will be their little way of saying "screw you" to the NCAA.
I think by winning the NIT they make a bigger statement to the NCAA.

Turning down the bid just reeks of sour grapes IMO.

paintmered
03-12-2006, 09:21 PM
I think by winning the NIT they make a bigger statement to the NCAA.

Turning down the bid just reeks of sour grapes IMO.

I agree and that's why I think they should accept the invite.

flyer85
03-12-2006, 09:22 PM
Lunardi just ripped the committee a new one for including AF and snubbing UC. His comment was three or four guys with pizza and beer could have done better.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 09:24 PM
Playing in the NIT is not the way Eric Hicks should go out. That guy was in serious pain for the second half of the season and played anyway, he left everything on the floor for UC. To have him play in the NIT is a disgrace.

If Kennedy isn't going to be hired, and it looks that way, it's better to just decline. NCAA teams will be out of the picture as early as Thursday and that would allow UC to begin it's coaching search. It would also allow Andy to start interviewing for other jobs. I'd hate for him be coaching in the crappy NIT and have the jobs he's interested in get filled before he can interview, that isn't fair.

TeamBoone
03-12-2006, 09:25 PM

Yes, I'm sure they do.

However, this isn't just the fans screaming... the media is pretty upset by it as well. It sounds to me like the Louiville editorial may be right on the money. Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.

max venable
03-12-2006, 09:27 PM
Yes, I'm sure they do.

However, this isn't just the fans screaming... the media is pretty upset by it as well. It sounds to me like the Louiville editorial may be right on the money. Perhaps there is more to this than meets the eye.
I'm convinced. You guys are right...UC got screwed.

The question now becomes, can you guys root for Ohio State? Or do you hate 'em too much?

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 09:31 PM
UC accepted the bid, they are a #1 seed in the NIT. Oh joy.

Newport Red
03-12-2006, 09:35 PM
Wolverines not invited to party, lead list of snubbed
March 12, 2006
CBS SportsLine.com wire reports

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Michigan's misery had company.

The Wolverines didn't see or hear what they wanted when the NCAA Tournament announced its field of 65 teams Sunday night.

Joining Michigan (18-10) as at-large hopefuls that didn't make the cut were: Cincinnati (19-12), Florida State (19-9), Maryland (19-12), Hofstra (24-6), Missouri State (20-8) and Creighton (19-9).

The Wolverines started the season with legitimate hopes of reaching the NCAA Tournament for the first time since 1998. They had a great chance to reach their goal with a 16-3 record until collapsing with seven losses in their last nine games, including their last three.

"We didn't do what we should have," Michigan guard Daniel Horton said after watching the selection show with his teammates and coaches. "We put our future in the hands of someone else."

While Michigan had only itself to blame, some of the other teams that just missed a bid likely were angry to see some of the schools invited.

Air Force (24-6) and Bradley, both 13th seeds, led the group of last-in teams along 12 seeds Utah State (23-8) and Texas A&M (21-8), and 11th-seeded George Mason (23-7).

As it turned out, the Wolverines hurt their cause with a lackluster nonconference schedule.

They played only one ranked team, losing to UCLA, and their top nonconference victory was over Miami in the Big Ten-ACC Challenge.

"If there's a message, the larger schools, the larger conferences, really do have a choice on who they play in nonconference," said selection committee chairman Craig Littlepage, the athletic director at Virginia.
AP NEWS
The Associated Press News Service

Hopefully, someone asked a follow up question.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 09:37 PM
UC's non-conference SOS was #23 in the county, and included a #1 seed (Memphis), so that excuse from Littlepage doesn't told water.

paintmered
03-12-2006, 09:38 PM
UC's non-conference SOS was #23 in the county, and included a #1 seed (Memphis), so that excuse from Littlepage doesn't told water.

...and they beat a #4 seed on a neutral court.

TeamBoone
03-12-2006, 09:43 PM
Did they beat something like 4 or 5 RPI ranked teams this year? And that's not even considering the teams that they gave a run for their money (Villanova, to name one).

Newport Red
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
UC accepted the bid, they are a #1 seed in the NIT. Oh joy.

Why? Andy Kennedy needs to get on with his (non-UC) life's work.

The UC AD needs to shop for pillows as he hides under his desk waiting for the "search firm" to provide him cover on the new hire.

Reds4Life
03-12-2006, 10:08 PM
Why? Andy Kennedy needs to get on with his (non-UC) life's work.

The UC AD needs to shop for pillows as he hides under his desk waiting for the "search firm" to provide him cover on the new hire.

Word is the NCAA, who now owns the NIT, strong armed the teams to accept. Maryland, UC and Stanford were going to decline but didn't.

traderumor
03-12-2006, 10:14 PM
Quote:
Interesting info: Cincinnati left out.

So we're hearing that Cincinnati's new President Nancy Zimpher and their brand-new A.D. didn't necessarily lobby for the Bearcats to make the NCAA Tournament this season, despite finishing 8-8 in the Big East and 19-12 overall.

The word on the street says they were a little tense with Kennedy until it became completely clear they had no intention of hiring him as the head coach, which is when he brought in Bob Huggins for the last regular season game for Senior Night. Apparently, that made the UC academes so angry they had no intention of pushing to hard for their bubble team.

So Cincy - a team ranked No. 32 in the RPI - got left out, but Boston College, Bradley, Indiana, Kansas, Air Force, Kentucky, North Carolina State, Georgetown, Creighton, Syracuse, UAB, Arkansas, Alabama, Seton Hall and Texas A&M all got in and were all ranked below the Bearcats.

I'm naive enough to assume that the selection committee is not considering the opinions of college presidents in whom they accept for the tournament, whether it be a hard lobbyer or someone who stays out of it.

Newport Red
03-12-2006, 10:57 PM
Word is the NCAA, who now owns the NIT, strong armed the teams to accept. Maryland, UC and Stanford were going to decline but didn't.

How did the NCAA get ahold of them? All the local media get is a dial tone.

This is just the UC administration's attempt at damage control of a program going on a self induced death spiral.

They aren't going to sniff the tournament in years.

flyer85
03-12-2006, 11:37 PM
Word is the NCAA, who now owns the NIT, strong armed the teams to accept. Maryland, UC and Stanford were going to decline but didn't.and they now have the leverage to do it.

dougdirt
03-13-2006, 12:23 AM
makes me absolutely sick

max venable
03-13-2006, 07:12 AM
Word from who? Any sources? Or is it just rumor?

And, if the NCAA now owns the NIT, how smart of a move would it be to bite the hand that feeds you, so to speak. If you want consideration for the big dance in future years, then why would you honk them off by blowing off the NIT this year?

UC did the right thing by accepting the NIT, both in terms of their future relationship with the NCAA and for their seniors that have played hard and worked hard...they deserve the opportunity to play a few more games and finish strong.

Roy Tucker
03-13-2006, 07:44 AM
UC had a compelling case, but Kennedy hit the nail on the head. It was a political thing from the mid-major guys on the NCAA committee. They won't take more than 1/2 of a conference. So they weren't going to take 9 teams from the Big East. Doesn't matter what UC's numbers are.

When Seton Hall came up as a #10 seed, I said "uh-oh, that's UC's slot".

Letting more of the mid-majors in is a thing I philosophically agree with, but it's a painful belief when the team you root for gets shafted because of it. It's kinda like the baseball wild card, if you can't win your conference/division, you shouldn't be in.

RedFanAlways1966
03-13-2006, 07:46 AM
UC definitely got the screw. RPI... enough said. Air Force? Please.

The article that R4Life posted is interesting. I never understood the comment that people have to "lobby for a spot". Sounds like the kind of stuff that got the IOC in trouble when the Winter Games were held in Salt Lake!

I think teams who decide not to accept an NIT bid (or a football team who thinks a certain bowl game is not good enough for them) should not be allowed to participate in the post-season the next year. Teams should not be allowed to deny a bid w/out penalty. I do not like it. It goes against what sports should be about. Spirit, competition and all those other things. Not... "we are taking our ball and going home" -or- "screw you guys, I am going home."

Hoosier Red
03-13-2006, 10:54 AM
I'll echo what others have said in that there are a number of reasons to decline bids.
GW got screwed out of the NCAA a few years ago when Jarvis was the head coach and declined a bid to the NIT citing that with the exams the next week it would be difficult to reschedule with just one or two days notice.(My guess is that they would have found a way had they been invited to the NCAA.)

In the case of UC or Indiana if IU hadn't made the NCAA, it makes sense to get the season over with. The University can go ahead and make connections for the next head coach, whereas the coach in question can begin his new job search. Playing in the NIT would hinder both of these scenarios.

max venable
03-13-2006, 11:05 AM
I'll echo what others have said in that there are a number of reasons to decline bids.
GW got screwed out of the NCAA a few years ago when Jarvis was the head coach and declined a bid to the NIT citing that with the exams the next week it would be difficult to reschedule with just one or two days notice.(My guess is that they would have found a way had they been invited to the NCAA.)

In the case of UC or Indiana if IU hadn't made the NCAA, it makes sense to get the season over with. The University can go ahead and make connections for the next head coach, whereas the coach in question can begin his new job search. Playing in the NIT would hinder both of these scenarios.
Then why doesn't Indiana just go ahead and decline the NCAA bid for the same reasons?

cumberlandreds
03-13-2006, 11:25 AM
Of all the teams that could claim they got screwed,UC has the biggest case. I thought they were a lock. It has to go back to the NCAA never really liking Huggins and the way he did business at UC. Air Force in the tourney is crazy. There are at least 20 other teams that should be there before them. Utah State and George Mason are not far behind them either. This was one of the poorest jobs I have ever seen by the tournament committee.

Caseyfan21
03-13-2006, 11:28 AM
Then why doesn't Indiana just go ahead and decline the NCAA bid for the same reasons?

I'm not positive, and I don't have time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says a team cannot reject a bid to the NCAA tourney. I believe it dates back to when the NCAA tourney first came into existence. The NIT tourney was still the premier postseason tourney so the organizers of the NCAA made that rule to make sure teams would not reject them and go to the NIT. I think that rule is still in effect but again, I'm not 100% positive, and I have a final in 2 hours :shocked: that I have to go study for.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 11:30 AM
Since when doesn't the NCAA like Huggins?

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 11:33 AM
Did anyone see the interview with Syracuse Coach Boeheim?

He was adamant that UC was snubbed and gave several reasons why they were a shoo-in, including their schedule and wins over RPI-ranked teams.

He also said there's absolutely no reason Andy Kennedy should not get the coaching job as he feels he's more than proven himself. But we all know that isn't going to happen, whether he deserves it or not. The other coaches aren't stupid; they know the situation at UC.

beb30
03-13-2006, 11:45 AM
Why Andy or any other coach would want to even accept or come to a University that handles its sports operations like Cincinnati does is beyond me. With the mess that Zimpher has made, UC wont be making an NCAA Tournament for at least 3 years. We have no incoming recruits, 4 seniors are leaving, and it seems half the team are a bunch of walk ons.

Chip R
03-13-2006, 11:46 AM
Of all the teams that could claim they got screwed,UC has the biggest case. I thought they were a lock. It has to go back to the NCAA never really liking Huggins and the way he did business at UC. Air Force in the tourney is crazy. There are at least 20 other teams that should be there before them. Utah State and George Mason are not far behind them either. This was one of the poorest jobs I have ever seen by the tournament committee.

If that's the case why didn't they take UC now that they got rid of Huggins? It would stand to reason that if the NCAA didn't like Huggins and UC got rid of him, they would want to reward UC and not punish them.

I particularly enjoyed Littlepage's reasoning why they took Air Force, "They are a tough team to beat." Yeah, when you don't play anyone, you're pretty tough to beat. :laugh:

I suppose this is a bit of a problem with being in a 16 team league. I've heard all week about how the committee doesn't take conferences into account when they select the field but they also said that RPI is a big facctor as well. Kind of tough to justify taking 9 teams from one conference no matter how big it is.

Roy Tucker
03-13-2006, 11:57 AM
It doesn't sound like UC got even close. This is from Andy Katz's column at ESPN...

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/ncaatourney06/columns/story?id=2366073

One of the main reasons Air Force got in the field was that the Falcons were the No. 2 team in the Mountain West, ranked as the No. 8 conference.

One of the last teams not to make the field was another mid-major: Western Kentucky. The committee looked strongly at the Hilltoppers, regular-season champs of the Sun Belt. Western Kentucky, which lost to South Alabama in the conference title game, had an RPI of 55, a strength of schedule of 116, a 1-2 record against the top 50, a non-conference SOS (strength of schedule) of 29, and a 7-4 road record. Meanwhile, the NIT placed Western Kentucky as a 6-seed in the South region.

Cincinnati was off the board by late in the week. The Bearcats didn't get out of the first round of the Big East tournament after Syracuse's Gerry McNamara beat them with a 3-pointer with a half second left.

The Bearcats' omission may have been the most alarming. The reaction from interim head coach Andy Kennedy came swiftly Sunday night.

"I'm in shock," he told ESPN.com. "We got screwed big time. We had a strength of schedule of five, an RPI of 40 and we were 8-8 in the Big East. So, do you mean to tell me that if Gerry McNamara doesn't hit that 3-pointer that we're in?"

Kennedy said the Bearcats' players were "devastated." He said he told them in practice the last few days that "Everything would be good."

"If I were a head coach in the Big East, this should be considered a somber day," Kennedy said. "The selection committee wouldn't allow nine teams from one league. Seton Hall [which did get in] beat us and maybe that's how they justify it. I'm in a state of disbelief."

The committee is on record as saying it doesn't count teams from one conference.

"This is a crazy ending to what has been an unbelievable year," Kennedy said of a season that started with head coach Bob Huggins being ousted. "This is not the ending that was appropriate."

Redlegs23
03-13-2006, 12:44 PM
The most frustrating part of this whole mess to me was Littlepage's comments while he was explaining his case for Air Force. He brought up the fact that they played a good Washington team close.

Are you freaking kidding me?!? You are so desperate to find positive things about Air Force that you bring up an 11 point loss in the third game of the year to Washington! If losses are a good thing maybe he should consider our 2 point loss to Villanova, or possibly our loss to Cuse where Mcnamara hit a prayer. This is the biggest bunch of political BS I've ever witnessed. Ever since the selection show I've been in a state of rage/depression over this. What's even more frustrating is that the team and the fans can't do a thing about this obvious misjustice.

There's only one thing that will make this year's tournament and next year's season bearable to me. Thank goodness for beer. :help:

cumberlandreds
03-13-2006, 01:28 PM
I'm not positive, and I don't have time to look it up, but I'm pretty sure there's a rule that says a team cannot reject a bid to the NCAA tourney. I believe it dates back to when the NCAA tourney first came into existence. The NIT tourney was still the premier postseason tourney so the organizers of the NCAA made that rule to make sure teams would not reject them and go to the NIT. I think that rule is still in effect but again, I'm not 100% positive, and I have a final in 2 hours :shocked: that I have to go study for.

Marquette back in the late 60's or early 70's declined a bid. Al McGuire was the coach and didn't like where they had placed Marquette in the tournament. He blamed it on Adolph Rupp saying he influenced the NCAA on where they placed his Marquette team. That's been a long time ago so they may have that rule in place now.

cumberlandreds
03-13-2006, 01:30 PM
If that's the case why didn't they take UC now that they got rid of Huggins? It would stand to reason that if the NCAA didn't like Huggins and UC got rid of him, they would want to reward UC and not punish them.

I particularly enjoyed Littlepage's reasoning why they took Air Force, "They are a tough team to beat." Yeah, when you don't play anyone, you're pretty tough to beat. :laugh:

I suppose this is a bit of a problem with being in a 16 team league. I've heard all week about how the committee doesn't take conferences into account when they select the field but they also said that RPI is a big facctor as well. Kind of tough to justify taking 9 teams from one conference no matter how big it is.

The NCAA has never made since in what they do. I think it was just a backhanded way to punish UC for bringing in what they considered marginal students.

Chip R
03-13-2006, 01:50 PM
The NCAA has never made since in what they do. I think it was just a backhanded way to punish UC for bringing in what they considered marginal students.

Yeah, following that logic, they would have a tough time filling out a 64 team field every year.

Matt700wlw
03-13-2006, 02:35 PM
I'm one Xavier fan who agrees with you. UC is much better than Air Force or Alabama either one. Granted, I still think it's pretty funny. <ducking>

Enjoy it now. I don't see X beating Gonzaga (realistically).

UC didn't get in because they didn't want 9 teams from the Big East getting in, regardless if they say it had nothing to do with it. It's a joke....it's supposed to be the best 65 (64 after the goofy play-in game)...UC is CLEARLY one of the best 64 teams in the country.

reds1869
03-13-2006, 03:37 PM

UC didn't get in because they didn't want 9 teams from the Big East getting in, regardless if they say it had nothing to do with it. It's a joke....it's supposed to be the best 65 (64 after the goofy play-in game)...UC is CLEARLY one of the best 64 teams in the country.

Agreed, on both counts. I hope X can win but it will be a major upset if they do. UC deserves to be in the field. I'll be pulling for them in the NIT. I actually cheer for UC when they are playing everyone else--it's just fun to pick on Bearcat fans sometimes.

Reds4Life
03-13-2006, 04:20 PM
I've watched Gonzaga play about 10 times this year, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. If they can find a way to stop Morrison (who can't play defense BTW) X has a shot to win that game.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 04:41 PM

The NCAA is really not sending a message that they want the best 65 teams in the tourney, or else they would not give the automatic bid to the winners of conference tournaments over the regular season winners.

Obviously, without that setup, the conference tournaments would not get much interest and would likely be eliminated by the large conferences (a side benefit if you ask me), but it certainly will upset the apple cart of having the best teams in the tourney, some years more than others. But other than reducing the bank accounts of all those who profit off the conference tourneys, if the NCAA was really interested in putting together a fair championship, they either give everyone a second chance (like a high school state tourney where everyone goes) or they only give automatic bids to regular season conference winners and then go to the "at-large" bids. I think the second option is the most fair as it recognizes a team's whole resume rather than "what have you done for me lately" that currently prevails.

While America loves the upset, it really sucks for a team that has put together a good season to lose out on a chance to compete because some mediocre, or even bad, team gets hot for one weekend out of the season and steals an at-large bid. But then, I guess you could argue that the conference championships are the same as inviting everyone, since theoretically all teams get a second chance that way.

Chip R
03-13-2006, 04:49 PM
From what I've heard, a conference can give the automatic bid to either their regular season champ or their tournament champ. It's their choice, not the NCAA's. Obviously the tournament is such a moneymaker that the winer will get the bid. Still, I'd like to see regular season champions get major consideration and if a minor conference gets two bids, well that's the way it goes.

Danny Serafini
03-13-2006, 04:52 PM
I've been a big proponent of sending the regular season champ for a long time, I'd rather reward an entire season of excellence than being hot for 3 days. Problem is with conferences growing in size many conferences now can't play a full round robin schedule. In that case sending a team based on won/loss record isn't totally fair either since different teams are playing different schedules. At that point a conference tournament becomes a necessary evil, in my opinion.

Danny Serafini
03-13-2006, 04:55 PM

Loyola Marymount debated on whether or not they should accept the bid after Hank Geathers died, though they did the right thing and went to the tournament. You may still technically be able to decline a bid, though no one in their right mind is going to.

max venable
03-13-2006, 05:00 PM
I've watched Gonzaga play about 10 times this year, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. If they can find a way to stop Morrison (who can't play defense BTW) X has a shot to win that game.
One small problem...no one can stop Morrison. He's a freak.

WVRed
03-13-2006, 05:25 PM
One small problem...no one can stop Morrison. He's a freak.

Agreed, and that is why you don't stop Morrison.

I look for a team like Indiana to expose this, but the key is to shut down the other four who play for Gonzaga and let Morrison score his points. Morrison might score 35 points, but if they hold Gonzaga to just 55-60 points, Indiana or Xavier both can come away with a win.

This worked last year for Kentucky against Andrew Bogut, as well about 4-5 years ago against Wally Sczerbiak.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 07:49 PM

I know they have to "spread it around", just like we do here in Redszone. But what the heck is wrong with taking the best teams based on predetermined parameters; e.g., performance, schedule, etc.? Isn't that what the NCAA is supposed to be all about?

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 07:56 PM

I thought that debate was won last year.

Reds4Life
03-13-2006, 09:11 PM
Anybody hear the Kennedy radio show? Man, he blasted people tonight. He mentioned the theory that I posted from the Louisville guys and said "but you didn't hear that from me". Somebody called and asked why AD Thomas hasn't said a word today about UC getting the shaft and he said he is so pissed that he was glad the show was almost over because there are some "stories I could tell". He also said something like "while I'm a coach in the Big East for another week".

He knows he isn't getting the job and he almost lost it tonight. I hope when he's let go that he blasts Zimpher and Thomas in the media, it's the only way we are going to get rid of these clowns.

WMR
03-13-2006, 09:12 PM
Are the trustees as fed up with Zimpher and co. as everybody else?

traderumor
03-13-2006, 09:54 PM
Anybody hear the Kennedy radio show? Man, he blasted people tonight. He mentioned the theory that I posted from the Louisville guys and said "but you didn't hear that from me". Somebody called and asked why AD Thomas hasn't said a word today about UC getting the shaft and he said he is so pissed that he was glad the show was almost over because there are some "stories I could tell". He also said something like "while I'm a coach in the Big East for another week".

He knows he isn't getting the job and he almost lost it tonight. I hope when he's let go that he blasts Zimpher and Thomas in the media, it's the only way we are going to get rid of these clowns.Sounds like a disgruntled nearly ex-employee to me.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 09:55 PM
Monday, March 13, 2006

A rigorous defense
It's really a shame rigorism rears up against Bearcats
BY PAUL DAUGHERTY | ENQUIRER STAFF WRITER

You know you're in trouble when the head of a sports committee starts tossing around words such as "rigor."

"We like to see there be rigor" in scheduling, decided Craig Littlepage, the NCAA Tournament Selection Committee chairman. "If there is a message, it would be that the larger conferences really do have a choice" when it comes to scheduling nonconference opponents, Littlepage said.

His point, I think, was that schools in big conferences who schedule Stiff State and Who Let The Dogs Out will not be rewarded come Madness time.

Oh. Do tell.

Overall schedule strength: Five. Eleven wins against top-100 teams in the Ratings Percentage Index.

Rigor that.

Did the UC Bearcats get jobbed?

Did the committee turn, seemingly overnight, into an effete collection of small-batch bourbon drinkers who went against their own standard? Will we really be watching Air Force, Utah State and George Mason starting Thursday, and not Cincinnati?

Well, yeah.

Rigorous Air Force had a schedule strength of 158. Maybe the committee is just really patriotic.

"The committee wanted to send a message as to spreading the wealth," said UC interim coach Andy Kennedy. Kennedy did a nice job giving interviews at 7 Sunday night, seeing as how he was in shock. "Despite the rhetoric we hear, I think there was a cap."

The Big East got eight teams in. The committee didn't want to go to nine. That might have been too big a defense of the Big East. It might have been too rigorous. And in truth, that was always the suspicion and the fear, if you followed UC. What would the cutoff be?

Committee members have said they pick teams, not conferences. If you're good enough, you go. Uh, not really. That's a rigorous load.

"I need the truth to be told and the truth to be told is that we can't give one (conference) nine bids," Kennedy said.

The only thing I know about the NCAA bracket is that mine is toast after the first weekend. I thought Joe Lunardi, the guru of bracket analysis, was the mayor of Philadelphia. But I know a hose job when I smell one. This qualifies.

I thought being in the best league in the country was supposed to help you in March. I thought going 8-8 in that league was a good thing. Beating five teams that made the field should help you a little. Playing three No. 1 seeds should be a point in your favor. That would be - what's the word? - rigorous.

"I was 99.9 percent sure" UC was in, Kennedy said. "I'm one of those guys who puts some thought into the process." Maybe Kennedy should be on the committee.

For this team, it's one last drink at the Life Ain't Fair Lounge. Living isn't a movie. The curtain goes down too many times. And, happily, up. Sometimes, you get what you deserve, but you almost never get what you want. You have to take that. If the Bearcats had guarded Gerry McNamara 6 more seconds last Wednesday afternoon, we wouldn't be having this conversation.

But here's what I'm thinking about now. Here is who has me feeling a little vicarious pain:

Eric Hicks.

All the Bearcats deserved to go. None deserved it like Hicks, who donated so much sweat to the cause, they should name a towel after him. I feel for Hicks, who merited more than a guy in a suit in an Indianapolis hotel, talking on the television about rigor.

Andy Kennedy decided Sunday night that his team would accept an NIT bid. That's good for Kennedy and for Hicks.

We'd have hated for Kennedy's last appearance as UC's coach to be that somber little gathering Sunday night.

We'd hate, too, for this season of overcoming to be epitaphed by Craig Littlepage. Better to let Hicks and Kennedy leave the lasting mark.

Rigorously.

E-mail pdaugherty@enquirer.com

http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060313/COL03/603130391/1062/SPT

RPI School W-L SOS 1-50 51-100 Result
40 Cincinnati 19-12 5 4-8 7-3 did not get in
41 Kentucky 21-12 15 3-8 6-4 8 seed
44 Texas A&M 21-8 67 1-5 6-2 12 seed
45 Arkansas 22-9 68 4-6 3-1 8 seed
46 Utah State 22-8 102 1-2 6-3 12 seed
50 Air Force 22-6 158 0-1 5-2 13 seed
51 NC State 22-6 64 3-5 8-3 10 seed
52 California 20-10 61 3-5 4-2 7 seed
57 Alabama 17-12 12 5-6 4-3 10 seed
58 Seton Hall 18-11 36 5-4 3-4 10 seed

Source: CollegeRPI.com

Reds4Life
03-13-2006, 10:04 PM
Sounds like a disgruntled nearly ex-employee to me.

Are you a UC hater or something? Seems like you always have a snide little remark when UC, or it's employees, are involved. Will you be happy when UC hires some loser from a nothing conference? Will you be happy when UC becomes a bottom feeder in the Big East for the next 5+ years?

I think he knows more about the situation than you do, he's living it, and he just called Mike Thomas out on the radio. It's pretty sad when coaches from other teams (WVU, Syracuse and others) and the commish of the Big East are on TV today calling out the selection committee in support of UC, yet UC's own athletic director doesn't utter a peep.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 10:38 PM
Are you a UC hater or something? Seems like you always have a snide little remark when UC, or it's employees, are involved. Will you be happy when UC hires some loser from a nothing conference? Will you be happy when UC becomes a bottom feeder in the Big East for the next 5+ years?

I think he knows more about the situation than you do, he's living it, and he just called Mike Thomas out on the radio. It's pretty sad when coaches from other teams (WVU, Syracuse and others) and the commish of the Big East are on TV today calling out the selection committee in support of UC, yet UC's own athletic director doesn't utter a peep.

I'd call it indifferent. I really wasn't attempting to be snide, but Kennedy is simply sounding like sour grapes at this point, first with the Huggins farewell party, now with the "stories I could tell" comments. Those all smell of someone who is figuring that if he's going down, someone is going with him. Not to mention the potential bitterness coming from not getting the job after what he figures was one heckuva coaching job considering the circumstance.

As far as the Big East sticking up for one of their own, geesh, now there's an unbiased observation. What do you want them to say "we had enough teams in the tourney, so tough luck conference rival"?

So, think what you want. It seems you are quite emotional over UC basketball.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 11:21 PM
You know, traderumor, I like you and this isn't meant to be snide.... but! You keep claiming indifference, and yet you seem to have a lot to say.

Some of us feel very strongly about UC basketball, and we DO care. Thus, we take all this to heart.

If you truly don't care, why do you keep irking those of us who do?

Steve4192
03-13-2006, 11:33 PM
I'd call it indifferent.
For a guy who who is so 'indifferent' you sure do seem to pop up in a lot of UC-related threads. Personally, when I am 'indifferent' on a topic of a thread, I rarely open the thread much less respond to it.

I call shenanigans on your claims of indifference.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 11:34 PM
You know, traderumor, I like you and this isn't meant to be snide.... but! You keep claiming indifference, and yet you seem to have a lot to say.

Some of us feel very strongly about UC basketball, and we DO care. Thus, we take all this to heart.

If you truly don't care, why do you keep irking those of us who do?
I have followed this thread and the one about senior night. As a fan of another program, I am ultimately indifferent about what UC does, meaning I don't have emotional attachment to observations I am making about the goings on in this sorted affair. I have had very little to say, comparatively, and completely stayed out of the emotionalism attached with the Huggins firing. I would understand if you had the same attitude toward tOSU but commented from your own point of view.

What I do not understand is why I must agree with the observations of UC fans with respect to the "us vs. them" thing going on with the Administration vs. the bball program, which is what is "irking" folks. Honestly, there really is no snickering going on and glorying in some other program's tough time, but I also don't see Zimpher, et al as the anti-Christ, which is going to irk almost anyone on this board from what I've seen.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 11:39 PM
For a guy who who is so 'indifferent' you sure do seem to pop up in a lot of UC-related threads. Personally, when I am 'indifferent' on a topic of a thread, I rarely open the thread much less respond to it.

I call shenanigans on your claims of indifference.
I'll challenge you to do the same thing I did Reds4Life. Go ahead and do a search. Get a count of my posts in any threads about UC except for the two recent ones.

And apparently "indifference" toward the ultimate decisions a program makes and posting a point of view prohibits one from posting about UC. It is possible for non-fans to make valid observations about another program without having self-interest in the views. My goodness, there seems to be some mighty big chips on the shoulders of UC fans.

TeamBoone
03-13-2006, 11:42 PM
"Chips"? No, concern and heartbreak.

Sorry, but it hurts. And you telling me that it's all vindicated doesn't help.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 04:13 AM
I've watched Gonzaga play about 10 times this year, they are waaaaaaaaaaaaaay over rated. If they can find a way to stop Morrison (who can't play defense BTW) X has a shot to win that game.The guy X will have no answer for is Batista.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 04:14 AM
One small problem...no one can stop Morrison. He's a freak.I think Cage can slow him down. He is one of those rare defenders who can guard people in the paint and on the perimeter.

max venable
03-14-2006, 06:52 AM
I think Cage can slow him down. He is one of those rare defenders who can guard people in the paint and on the perimeter.
Have you watched him? You can't even get a hand in the guy's face. He can stop on a dime, go straight up in a phone booth, and knock down the J from anywhere on the court.

I would LOVE to see XU beat the Zags. I just don't think Morrison can be stopped.

REDREAD
03-14-2006, 07:16 AM
The NCAA is really not sending a message that they want the best 65 teams in the tourney, or else they would not give the automatic bid to the winners of conference tournaments over the regular season winners.

But on the flip side, I can't recall a case where the regular season conference winner of a power conference (Big East, SEC, ACC, etc) has lost their conference tournament and NOT gotten an at large bid.

Yes, it happens in some of the smaller conferences that only get one bid, but most of the times, those teams aren't one of the best 65 in the country anyhow (neither the conference champ nor the tourney winner).

I'd rather the selection commitee let in more teams from the bigger conferences like UC, FSU, Maryland, etc.. since that would give us better games to watch. However, in recent years, the trend has been to give the last 4 "at large" bids as charity prizes to smaller conferences (like Air Force).
I don't like it, but that's the way the selection commitee works now.

traderumor
03-14-2006, 09:22 AM
But on the flip side, I can't recall a case where the regular season conference winner of a power conference (Big East, SEC, ACC, etc) has lost their conference tournament and NOT gotten an at large bid.

Yes, it happens in some of the smaller conferences that only get one bid, but most of the times, those teams aren't one of the best 65 in the country anyhow (neither the conference champ nor the tourney winner).

I'd rather the selection commitee let in more teams from the bigger conferences like UC, FSU, Maryland, etc.. since that would give us better games to watch. However, in recent years, the trend has been to give the last 4 "at large" bids as charity prizes to smaller conferences (like Air Force).
I don't like it, but that's the way the selection commitee works now.

True, but then the mid-majors can wreak havoc if their conference tourneys are won by someone other than a team that was going to be in. Have a few major upsets with auto bids in those conferences and some deserving teams are going to be playing a home game in the NIT.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 09:44 AM
I guess my eyesight is going bad because the title of this thread doesn't look like "UC Pity Party" to me. If you want to whine about UC not getting into the NCAAs, that's fine. IMO, they were a better choice than Air Force or some other teams. However, opposing views are welcome here.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Have you watched him? You can't even get a hand in the guy's face. He can stop on a dime, go straight up in a phone booth, and knock down the J from anywhere on the court.I am no XUfan (my handle ought to tell you who I am a fan of). Will Cage stop Morrison? No. Can he slow him down? Absolutely.

The reason is simple is that Morrison is generally an impossible matchup, bigger guys can't defend him on the perimeter and smaller guys get overpowered in the paint. Cage is a rare player with his size, strength and long arms that can defend him both places. He doesn't need to stop him, just force him into a lower shooting percentage.

BTW, I don't think XU will win because I think Batista is going to kill them in the paint.

Roy Tucker
03-14-2006, 10:22 AM
If Cage can keep Morrison relatively in-check without a double-team, XU has a shot.

But I watched the Gonzaga-Loyola Marymount game and was hugely impressed with Morrison. He just killed LMU by repeatedly letting the double team come to him and then hitting the open man with a great pass. His shooting was off all game, but he made for it with his overall play. I thought Morrison was just a gunner but his passing is stellar.

Caseyfan21
03-14-2006, 11:17 AM
If Cage can keep Morrison relatively in-check without a double-team, XU has a shot.

But I watched the Gonzaga-Loyola Marymount game and was hugely impressed with Morrison. He just killed LMU by repeatedly letting the double team come to him and then hitting the open man with a great pass. His shooting was off all game, but he made for it with his overall play. I thought Morrison was just a gunner but his passing is stellar.

I don't want to get into favorites here as I equally don't care about X or UC. I'm a Buckeyes fan and secondly would consider myself a UD fan. That being said, in my bracket, I have Gonzaga getting by X and Indiana and then losing. I wouldn't be surprised to see X take them down at all. Here are some facts about Gonzaga that no one in the media seems to want to bring up:

-Morrison's shooting percentage his last 5 game? 36.9%
-In their last 3 wins, Gonzaga has won by single-digits over 150+ RPI teams
-Gonzaga hasn't played a Top 50 RPI team in over 3 months

They do have a lot of experience which makes them a hot pick for the media but they are stumbling into the tournament. Morrison is a complete player which you have said but I don't know if some of his teammates will be able to shine during crunch time like the NCAA tournament brings up. Who knows the week off could recharge them and get them motivated again but they have flop written all over them from my perspective.

That being said, so does my team OSU, so who knows? That's why it's March Madness, one of the best sporting times of the year :beerme:

EDIT: Just looked at RPIRating.com and Xavier is #80, so maybe the Zags don't have to worry as much about the top 50 thing, but Indiana is #34 so if they meet up in the second round it could be interesting.

Reds4Life
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Rumors are going around on the UC campus among the employees that Mike Thomas may resign.

I doubt it, but it's going around.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 11:54 AM
Rumors are going around on the UC campus among the employees that Mike Thomas may resign.

I doubt it, but it's going around.the fact that they took one of his main tasks(hiring coaches) away from him is certainly something that would cause an AD to take a step back an evaluate his position. Hiring coaches is how an AD puts his stamp on an athletic program.

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 01:34 PM
the fact that they took one of his main tasks(hiring coaches) away from him is certainly something that would cause an AD to take a step back an evaluate his position. Hiring coaches is how an AD puts his stamp on an athletic program.
From what I have garnered, they didn't take the hiring function away from him ... they merely farmed out the vetting process to a company that specializes in that kind of thing. No one wants another George O'Leary on their hands. Thomas is still the guy who makes the final decision AFTER all the candidates have been vetted.

Of course, this assumes that Kennedy is NOT a candidate, because I am pretty sure there is a big VETO hanging over Thomas' head if he ever entertains the notion of keeping AK.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM
Of course, this assumes that Kennedy is NOT a candidate, because I am pretty sure there is a big VETO hanging over Thomas' head if he ever entertains the notion of keeping AK.heck if I was AK I wouldn't take the job. The UC opportunity has the high likelihood of being a career killer for the next coach because of how far behind the 8-ball the program is.

The most viable candidate to me would seem to be someone who is a consistent winner and is in their 50s and would consider this chance their last stop in case it doesn't work out. A good example would be someone like Larranaga of George Mason.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 02:39 PM
I'd love to see him pull a Johnny Keane on them.

WMR
03-14-2006, 02:46 PM
Will Bob Huggins be coaching somewhere next season? What's the scuttlebutt?

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 02:47 PM
The most viable candidate to me would seem to be someone who is a consistent winner and is in their 50s and would consider this chance their last stop in case it doesn't work out.
I think you underestimate the ego of most college hoops coaches. Most of 'em don't even consider the possiblity of failure and believe they can turn chicken-feces into chicken salad. Heck, the situation today is much better than the one Huggins inherited and he had 'em back in the final four in his third year. While I don't think it is likely that lightning will strike twice in Clifton, it is not impossible.

Reds4Life
03-14-2006, 03:54 PM
More from the rumor mill: Assistant AD Brian Teter has been placed on administrative leave, and may be fired, for leaking the information about the hiring of a search firm to the media. Rumors continue to swirl that Thomas will resign by the end of the week.

Nothing to back that up, just what I'm hearing.

Matt700wlw
03-14-2006, 03:56 PM
I heard it too...

Again, nothing to back it up.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 04:00 PM
They got themselves quite a little saga going on up there.

Reds4Life
03-14-2006, 04:03 PM
They got themselves quite a little saga going on up there.

This could be a bad situation. I'm hearing the thing with Teter is indeed a fact. That is second associate AD to be run off by Zimpher in the last year, Bill Mulvihill, a 25 year UC employee, was the other. If Thomas leaves this will be UC's second AD to leave under Zimpher as well, the stink around this job will be so bad that NOBODY will take it. It will also make it next to impossible to lure any coaches here.

I'm not a big fan of Mike Thomas, but if he leaves it could spell disaster at this stage.

Roy Tucker
03-14-2006, 04:04 PM
I have no inside information at all. But I agreed with Chip.

I've never heard of a university president getting fired over a sports coach before, but if this little goofball saga continues on like this, I could see Nancy Zimpher getting fired from the sheer incompetence of it all.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 04:42 PM
I think you underestimate the ego of most college hoops coaches. Most of 'em don't even consider the possiblity of failure and believe they can turn chicken-feces into chicken salad. That may be true but the reason for the search firm is that obviously nobody on their short list was even interested. I honestly can't remember a recent program at the BCS level that would be considered stepping into a worse situation that is currently going on at UC. The program is a virtual lock to be a Big East bottom feeder for the next 3-4 years.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 04:44 PM
I'm not a big fan of Mike Thomas, but if he leaves it could spell disaster at this stage.I think is moved past disaster quite a while ago. We have witnessed the devolution of the entire basketball program and picking up the pieces and putting them back together will take years if it can be done at all.

Personally I think the days of Huggins will be remembered fondly as a golden age and are unlikely to be repeated.

Caseyfan21
03-14-2006, 08:49 PM

I have no inside info, but if he wants to coach next year he will be somewhere. I have heard his name rumored for the UCF, West Virginia, Missouri, and others. All is speculation but if Huggs wants to coach I'm sure there will be some attractive jobs out there for him to consider.

Reds4Life
03-14-2006, 08:52 PM
The latest word I've heard on Huggins is that he has strong donor support at Missouri, but the administration is lukewarm. He's lobbying for the Temple job but it might go to Fran Dunphy at Penn. He's also been mentioned at Kansas State as well.

It's safe to say he'll be coaching somewhere next season. The coaching jobs could start flying as early as next week.

It seems that Brian Teter hasn't been fired at UC.....................yet. He's on "leave" for now, and is supposed to be back, but I'm not sure anyone buys that at this point.

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 09:10 PM
That may be true but the reason for the search firm is that obviously nobody on their short list was even interested.
From what I heard, they brought in the search firm to vet the existing candidates, not to identify new ones.

Reds4Life
03-14-2006, 09:27 PM
From what I heard, they brought in the search firm to vet the existing candidates, not to identify new ones.

Which doesn't make sense, UC is one of the largest employers in the state, they have existing procedues for doing background checks, etc. It's highly uncommon for a school to pay over $30k to a firm that usually places AD's to simply vet potential coaches. In fact, I can't recall another D1 school doing it.

The whole thing from top to bottom is screwed up.

traderumor
03-14-2006, 10:05 PM
The latest word I've heard on Huggins is that he has strong donor support at Missouri, but the administration is lukewarm. He's lobbying for the Temple job but it might go to Fran Dunphy at Penn. He's also been mentioned at Kansas State as well.

It's safe to say he'll be coaching somewhere next season. The coaching jobs could start flying as early as next week.

It seems that Brian Teter hasn't been fired at UC.....................yet. He's on "leave" for now, and is supposed to be back, but I'm not sure anyone buys that at this point.I'm not sure that Huggins and his rep is a good follow up to Quinn Snyder at Missouri.

Reds4Life
03-14-2006, 10:49 PM
I'm not sure that Huggins and his rep is a good follow up to Quinn Snyder at Missouri.

Snyder was fired because he didn't win, if he was producing they would have over looked his other "issues". The Laurie (related to the Walton's) family donates a TON of cash to Mizzou, they have huge pull, and they are in the Huggins camp right now.

Will it happen? Might, might not, but he's got some pretty powerful people in his corner.

Caseyfan21
03-15-2006, 01:00 AM
All of this Huggins speculation makes me wonder about Mayo and Russell. The word has been throughout that they would follow Huggs but I wonder how true that will turn out to be. I almost think they will just go to a UNC, Duke, or other Big East school. I would like Russell at OSU but no thanks for Mayo. He's a talent but he will probably cause more headaches than wins with the media circus that is sure to follow him.

Revering4Blue
03-15-2006, 04:42 AM

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/sioncampus/03/14/college/

I live in Wolfpack country, and I haven't heard the following rumor.

There's a lot of talk along Tobacco Road that North Carolina State is ready to end the Herb Sendek Era and hire former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins.
-- Fort Worth Star-Telegram

Supposedly, Kansas State is very interested in Huggins.

WVRed
03-15-2006, 06:14 AM
All of this Huggins speculation makes me wonder about Mayo and Russell. The word has been throughout that they would follow Huggs but I wonder how true that will turn out to be. I almost think they will just go to a UNC, Duke, or other Big East school. I would like Russell at OSU but no thanks for Mayo. He's a talent but he will probably cause more headaches than wins with the media circus that is sure to follow him.

If it brings you a national championship, its well worth the headaches.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 09:08 AM
Supposedly, Kansas State is very interested in Huggins.Manhattan might be a good city for Huggs.

Puffy
03-15-2006, 12:39 PM
When I was in Vegas a lot of the talk was Huggins would end up at UNLV. A more perfect match there could never be.

As for the original topic of this thread, let me start by saying that I think Cincy should be in the tourney. They are clearly one of the best 64 teams in the country.

But they have no one to blame but themsleves really - win the first round game and they were a lock. Syracuse was out of the tourney and playing like crap the previous month. Cincy should have won that game and then they would be in the big dance.

Reds4Life
03-15-2006, 12:43 PM
Lon Kruger is staying at UNLV, so no Huggy there.

savafan
03-15-2006, 12:45 PM
How long will the board of trustees at UC put up with the embarassment that Nancy Zimpher is bringing upon the school? The press for UC wasn't this bad before she arrived, and she came in to make a better image.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 12:51 PM
How long will the board of trustees at UC put up with the embarassment that Nancy Zimpher is bringing upon the school? Does it really matter? She has already put her stomp on the program.

TeamBoone
03-15-2006, 12:57 PM
Does it really matter? She has already put her stomp on the program.

Is that a Freudian slip?

flyer85
03-15-2006, 12:59 PM
Is that a Freudian slip?Nope, that was exactly what I meant to write. She has stomped the livin crap out of the basketball program. She should be proud.