PDA

View Full Version : Biggest ST surprise

balk
03-12-2006, 11:54 PM
IMO, DeWayne Wise. I've seen 5 games now, and he's stood out in every one of them. Runs extremely well, has pop in his bat, plays solid D, has made two great throws from the outfield in just the last 2 days. I doubt he can continue playing at this level, but DeWayne and EdE have played better than any of the other position players thus far. I think Narron is noticing, based on the at-bats DeWayne is getting. If so, DeWayne could make this team before Quinton McCracken or Tuffy Rhodes. Tuffy has rarely played the field down here. Used entirely as a DH or pinch hitter.

Other observations:
Felipe Lopez has a big butt. It seems he's picked up some weight, particularly in his legs. Or maybe I just haven't seen him up close before.

Jason Stanridge won't be around much longer. I don't think Rick White will make this team either.

Couldn't tell how hard Matt Belisle was throwing yesterday, but it didn't seem very hard. My eyes could be deceiving me, though.

My picks for an Opening Day roster (assuming everybody healthy but Wilson):
LaRue
Valentin
Dunn
Hatteberg
Womack
Lopez
Encarnacion
Aurilia
Kearns
Griffey
Pena
Freel
Wise
Cruz

Harang
Claussen
Milton
Gosling
Williams

Weathers
Mercker
Hammond
Coffey
Wagner
Shackelford or Belisle

reds44
03-13-2006, 12:52 AM
FeLo has always had a big rear.

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 02:00 AM
Sir Mix a lot would be pleased.

RedsMan3203
03-13-2006, 10:10 AM
Talkin about big butts.... isn't JR a lil large... or does the TV add 10 pounds?

westofyou
03-13-2006, 10:19 AM
Felipe Lopez has a big butt. It seems he's picked up some weight, particularly in his legs.

Move him to second.

It's very hard for an adult male with junk in his trunk and thick legs to play a world class SS after the age 24.

traderumor
03-13-2006, 10:29 AM
Move him to second.

It's very hard for an adult male with junk in his trunk and thick legs to play a world class SS after the age 24.
I know one who did ok ;)

http://espanol.geocities.com/bjarteaga2004/img/david.JPG

RedsManRick
03-13-2006, 10:33 AM
Traderumor, how in the heck were you able make that association and come up with the appropriate picture in just 10 minutes? Actually, on second thought... nevermind.

LincolnparkRed
03-13-2006, 10:38 AM
Traderumor, how in the heck were you able make that association and come up with the appropriate picture in just 10 minutes? Actually, on second thought... nevermind.

I think that picture maybe posted somewhere that traderumor can easily find it. Not that there is anything wrong with that of course.

:evil:

westofyou
03-13-2006, 10:58 AM
I know one who did ok

What's that the 40 year old Davey or the 25 year old Davey? The C on the sleeve says the former. Davey had 2 inches on Lopez and was mighty skinny in his mid twenties.

princeton
03-13-2006, 11:06 AM
Move him to second.

that ship sailed away a year ago. Now he knows that he's an All-Star shortstop, whether he can defend it or not. His next move will be to third base, but that'll come for another organization.

westofyou
03-13-2006, 11:08 AM
that ship sailed away a year ago. Now he knows that he's an All-Star shortstop, whether he can defend it or not. His next move will be to third base, but that'll come for another organization.
Probaby right on the money with that call, as a Boros client I wouldn't be surprised to see Lopez flipped if another SS came back.

princeton
03-13-2006, 11:15 AM
Probaby right on the money with that call, as a Boros client I wouldn't be surprised to see Lopez flipped if another SS came back.

I think that there was a time when he would have played second for us-- it was a big reason why I wanted to keep Larkin last year-- and it's why it can be important to put hitters where you project them to fit, not where you hope they might reach. Once they hit, they won't want to move and will feel that you can't ask them.

You can reach higher with the nonhitters-- they have to fit into whatever opening remains.

RedsManRick
03-13-2006, 11:27 AM
There's a reason Soriano won't move from 2B to LF and it has very little to do with learning a new position. The more you move left on the defensive spectrum, the less valuable a given level of offensive production becomes. Soriano might be a 10MM 2B, but in LF he's probably only worth 6 or 7.

KronoRed
03-13-2006, 12:53 PM
Talkin about big butts.... isn't JR a lil large... or does the TV add 10 pounds?
Also, all white does not look good on..anyone.

deltachi8
03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
There's a reason Soriano won't move from 2B to LF and it has very little to do with learning a new position. The more you move left on the defensive spectrum, the less valuable a given level of offensive production becomes. Soriano might be a 10MM 2B, but in LF he's probably only worth 6 or 7.

I agree and also think he would like to force his way out of playing in a stadium where his numbers will certainly take a dive.