PDA

View Full Version : My Spring Training Trip Observations

Strikes Out Looking
03-13-2006, 02:48 PM
I was at the game Saturday, and enjoyed the Reds ugly victory over Toronto. Here are my observations:

1. DeWayne Wise flat out hustles and if the season started today would deserve a spot on the roster. He made a great throw from the outfield, hit a homer and just plays hard all the time. I believe this type of play is infectious and the Reds could use a player like him coming off the bench.

2. Brandon Claussen pitched well and it was nice to see him go four innings. He also doesn't seem to panic when he gets in bad spots, which is nice to see.

3. Aurilia and Womack. Neither is stellar defensively. I believe Aurilia would make quite a good dh, he has some power and really is a pretty good clutch hitter. However, he played short stop and made one of the worst throws home I have ever seen. Womack made an error on a routine pop up. They need to catch some of what DeWayne has.

4. There were a number of scouts at the game (I sat behind them). I don't know if they were just generally scouting the team or what, but they paid attention to the younger guys who were in later as much, or more, than the big name guys.

5. I was told by someone very high up in the organization that they are aware of Redszone and that they also are aware that many of the baseball reporters think the Reds will finish last. I was told that the powers that be are pushing to make this team competitive and they don't feel they are this bad (they are realistic about the Reds weaknesses). Basically, the new management is excited about the future, which I think is a good sign.

6. If you ever have the chance to go to Spring Training, do it. It is much more intimate than regular season ball.

balk
03-13-2006, 04:09 PM
As I posted in another thread, I agree with your comments on DeWayne Wise. The Reds could do a lot worse with the last position player on the roster. I'd probably keep him over Q, Tuffy, Womack. I would even debate whether DeWayne's all around game would be just as valuable as Jacob Cruz's pinch hitting prowess. Personally, I'd like to see the Reds keep 14 position players, and bring both DeWayne and Jacob Cruz north.

If you can't find 11 quality pitchers (or in the Reds case 5 quality pitchers), then why bring 12 north?

I was at the game Saturday, and enjoyed the Reds ugly victory over Toronto. Here are my observations:

1. DeWayne Wise flat out hustles and if the season started today would deserve a spot on the roster. He made a great throw from the outfield, hit a homer and just plays hard all the time. I believe this type of play is infectious and the Reds could use a player like him coming off the bench.

2. Brandon Claussen pitched well and it was nice to see him go four innings. He also doesn't seem to panic when he gets in bad spots, which is nice to see.

3. Aurilia and Womack. Neither is stellar defensively. I believe Aurilia would make quite a good dh, he has some power and really is a pretty good clutch hitter. However, he played short stop and made one of the worst throws home I have ever seen. Womack made an error on a routine pop up. They need to catch some of what DeWayne has.

4. There were a number of scouts at the game (I sat behind them). I don't know if they were just generally scouting the team or what, but they paid attention to the younger guys who were in later as much, or more, than the big name guys.

5. I was told by someone very high up in the organization that they are aware of Redszone and that they also are aware that many of the baseball reporters think the Reds will finish last. I was told that the powers that be are pushing to make this team competitive and they don't feel they are this bad (they are realistic about the Reds weaknesses). Basically, the new management is excited about the future, which I think is a good sign.

6. If you ever have the chance to go to Spring Training, do it. It is much more intimate than regular season ball.