PDA

View Full Version : Goodbye there, children.

WVRed
03-13-2006, 06:43 PM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/eo/20060313/en_tv_eo/18557

South Park's Chef may have dished out his final chocolate salty ball.
ADVERTISEMENT

Isaac Hayes, who has voiced the highly sexed cafeteria employee on the irreverent series since 1997, issued a statement Monday indicating that he has requested to be released from his contract due to what he called the show's "inappropriate ridicule of religious communities."

"There is a place in this world for satire, but there is a time when satire ends and intolerance and bigotry towards religious beliefs of others begins," the soul legend said. "Religious beliefs are sacred to people and at all times should be respected and honored. As a civil rights activist of the past 40 years, I cannot support a show that disrespects those beliefs and practices."

Though Hayes, a devout Scientologist, made no reference to specific episodes that he felt crossed the line, series creator Matt Stone had little doubt that Hayes' decision was triggered by the November 2005 episode "Trapped in the Closet," which satirized the religion's beliefs and practices and featured "cameos" by animated versions of
Tom Cruise and
John Travolta.

"This is 100 percent having to do with his faith of Scientology," Stone told the Associated Press. "He has no problem--and he's cashed plenty of checks--with our show making fun of Christians."

Hayes' voice was not featured in the episode, as he was reportedly unavailable due to poor health. However, in a January 2006 interview with The A.V. Club, he explained that he had tried to correct Stone and Trey Parker's misconceptions about his religion of choice.

"Guys, you have it all wrong," Hayes said he told Stone and Parker. "We're not like that. I know that's your thing, but get your information correct, because somebody might believe that s--t, you know? But I understand what they're doing. I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do."

Past episodes of South Park have skewered Catholics, Jews and Mormons, among others. However, according to Stone, he and Parker "never heard a peep out of Isaac in any way until we did Scientology.

"He wants a different standard for religions other than his own, and to me, that is where intolerance and bigotry begin," Stone told the Associated Press.

Hayes, an Oscar winner and Rock and Roll Hall of Famer, got his start on South Park after heckling his agent for voiceover work in the interest of trying something different.

What was originally conceived of as a one-time appearance proved so popular that Jerome "Chef" McElroy became a reoccurring character, who has served hot lunch with a side of advice to Kenny, Kyle, Stan and Cartman for the past nine seasons.

Season 10 debuts Mar. 22, and Comedy Central has reupped the series through 2008.

In January 2006, Hayes told the New York Daily News that he loved the "humor in it, the audacity of Matt and Trey."

"Nobody is exempt from their humor," he said. "They're equal-opportunity offenders. Don't be offended by it. If you take it too seriously, you have problems."

It seems the silky-voiced crooner may have neglected to take his own advice.

creek14
03-13-2006, 06:45 PM
He wants a different standard for religions other than his own
Don't they all.

Steve4192
03-13-2006, 10:14 PM
I guarantee you Isaac just made things worse for Scientology. Trey & Matt had the Scientology bashing out of their systems, but now they'll go out of their way to trash Scientology at every opportunity.

Doc. Scott
03-14-2006, 01:46 AM
Scientology isn't a religion. Therefore, when I laugh at it and point out its utter ridiculousness, it isn't making a comment of the type this board frowns upon.

jmcclain19
03-14-2006, 02:17 AM
Scientology isn't a religion.

Dude, you are so sued.

Gainesville Red
03-14-2006, 02:42 AM
Seriously not looking for a fight or religious arugument or anything like that, I couldn't care less, but why isn't it a religion? I honestly know nothing about it, but have always sort assumed it was. I guess you know what they say happens when you ass-u-me something.

Edit: I've decided to change "care less" to "couldn't care less." After the cliches or misuse of words thread from last week, things like this have been driving me crazy.

jmcclain19
03-14-2006, 02:55 AM
Seriously not looking for a fight or religious arugument or anything like that, I could care less, but why isn't it a religion? I honestly know nothing about it, but have always sort assumed it was. I guess you know what they say happens when you ass-u-me something.

Not many religions engage in open espionage against the US Govt.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Snow_White

Johnny Footstool
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
I told them to take a couple of Scientology courses, and understand what we do.

Why take a class when you can get all the high-level "truths" online for free?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scientology

Google "Xenu Scientology" and enjoy!

Joseph
03-14-2006, 12:19 PM
Folks, let's keep this onto the topic of Hayes and South Park, not religion.

WVRed
03-14-2006, 12:58 PM

I bumped up the old thread in the Peanut Gallery just in case.

creek14
03-14-2006, 12:59 PM
But isn't this about Hayes and South Park and religion?

WVRed
03-14-2006, 01:29 PM

When I started the thread, I was hoping it would be about Hayes and South Park. Of course, its kinda hard to keep religion out of the picture on Redszone.;)

TRF
03-14-2006, 01:56 PM

Not really. It isn't about the merits of any religion. It isn't about Scientology even.

It's about Isaac Hayes cashing checks for 10 years while doing a show that tried to equally offend everyone. Every person. every religion. every political party, and Mel Gibson. Hayes was ok with all of that. He seemed ok with a little black kid on the show named "Token."

Until they targeted his beliefs.

He's a hypocrite.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 01:58 PM
I wonder if they will just write him out of the show or if they will get a new voice for him.

WVRed
03-14-2006, 02:03 PM
I wonder if they will just write him out of the show or if they will get a new voice for him.

Knowing Matt and Trey, I wouldnt be suprised if they killed him off.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 02:16 PM

Oh my God, they killed Chef! You bastards!

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 02:17 PM
Nah.

I think Chip is right. They'll keep Chef around, but they'll have the character do something ridiculous (like a Michael Jackson de-pigmentation procedure ... or a sex change) and hire someone like Pat Boone or Debbie Gibson to do his voice instead.

Joseph
03-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Wasn't there a crazy fill in chef when Chef was going to get married in the Succubus episode? Maybe he'll be back.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 02:25 PM
Killing him off would be too easy.

Yachtzee
03-14-2006, 02:54 PM
They could replace him with L. Ron Hubbard.

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 02:59 PM
They could replace him with L. Ron Hubbard.
Not a bad idea.

How about having Xenu himself dishing out meatloaf surprise, mac & cheese, and sage advice to the boys?

Doc. Scott
03-14-2006, 03:18 PM

That was my point. It wasn't a religious comment. Scientology is something else.

Steve4192
03-14-2006, 03:23 PM
That was my point. It wasn't a religious comment. Scientology is something else.
The IRS sure seems to believe that Scientology is a religion.

creek14
03-14-2006, 04:33 PM
By a Scientologist.

TRF
03-14-2006, 06:00 PM

sigh. Religion is the domain of a single man's mind. If other follow it gains legitimacy. The government recognizes Scientology. That should be enough for anyone. None of that is the point here.

The point is Hayes was ok with slamming EVERY OTHER BELIEF ON THE PLANET. Once his were stepped on, he cried fowl. His comments make him a hypocryte plain and simple.

Honestly he should have been outraged at Token first.

WVRed
03-14-2006, 06:32 PM
Killing him off would be too easy.

True.

I could see them just putting a replacement chef (aka Mr Derp) and saying Chef quit/got fired and no question ever asked.

Caveat Emperor
03-14-2006, 06:53 PM
The IRS sure seems to believe that Scientology is a religion.

I'm sure if a lot of really wealthy people out in Hollywood got serious about making the Jedi Order a religion and pumped enough cash into lawsuits, you would be free to check the box and name yourself a Knight of the Old Republic as well.

As far as Isaac Hayes goes, he is simply a hypocrite of the first order. I didn't see the outrage when South Park seriously crapped all over being Catholic back a few seasons ago or when they devoted an entire episode to basically calling John Smith and Mormonism a total fraud. Heck, even this very season they had an episode featuring Cartman telling Kyle that he wanted his "Jew Gold." But when they go after HIS religion, he suddenly gets righteous about things. I've lost any respect I had for him.

I hope they go and get Vanilla Ice to voice his character from now on.

smith288
03-14-2006, 08:01 PM
Scientology is famous for blackmailing their members. I have no doubts they told him that he better excuse himself from the show or Hayes will be humiliated in one way or another ultimately reuining his career.

Basically, Scientology is proving Parker and Stone right in a round about way.

Poor Isaac... sucked in and trapped.

Start a religion (http://www.bible.ca/scientology-1million-start-a-religion.htm)

"Whenever he was talking about being hard up he often used to say that he thought the easiest way to make money would be to start a religion."

Reds Fanatic
03-14-2006, 08:27 PM
Scientology is famous for blackmailing their members. I have no doubts they told him that he better excuse himself from the show or Hayes will be humiliated in one way or another ultimately reuining his career.

I have no doubt that is the case. I had heard Hayes do an interview with Opie and Anthony weeks ago in which he said the scientology episode was no big deal. At the time he said you can't take anything too seriously that Trey and Matt do on the show and eventually they offend pretty much every group and he had no problems with what is done on the show. Now weeks later he claims to be offended. I have no doubt the higher ups in Scientology told him to quit.

LoganBuck
03-14-2006, 09:53 PM
I bet Chef is a goner in the first episode this season. They have killed off characters with reckless abandon on the show, I doubt they stop now.

savafan
03-15-2006, 02:15 PM
Apparently the Scientology episode of South Park is scheduled to re-air tonight on Comedy Central.

Steve4192
03-15-2006, 02:34 PM
Apparently the Scientology episode of South Park is scheduled to re-air tonight on Comedy Central.
Meanwhile, to borrow a Tysonism, the 'Bloody Mary' episode has faded into Bolivian. I guess Christianity > Scientology when it comes to bullying Comedy Central.

smith288
03-16-2006, 12:58 PM
Meanwhile, to borrow a Tysonism, the 'Bloody Mary' episode has faded into Bolivian. I guess Christianity > Scientology when it comes to bullying Comedy Central.
In terms of ratings and who pays for the products being displayed during the commercial breaks... yea, Christianity does outnumber Scientology by a humongrous margin.

Capitalism baby...

savafan
03-17-2006, 09:35 PM
It's on now!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060317/ap_on_en_tv/tv_south_park

By ERIN CARLSON, Associated Press Writer 2 hours, 42 minutes ago

NEW YORK - "South Park" has declared war on Scientology. Matt Stone and Trey Parker, creators of the animated satire, are digging in against the celebrity-endorsed religion after a controversial episode mocking outspoken Scientologist
Tom Cruise was yanked abruptly from the schedule Wednesday with Internet rumors it was covert warfare by Cruise that led to its departure.

"So, Scientology, you may have won THIS battle, but the million-year war for earth has just begun!" the "South Park" creators said in a statement Friday in Daily Variety. "Temporarily anozinizing our episode will NOT stop us from keeping Thetans forever trapped in your pitiful man-bodies... You have obsructed us for now, but your feeble bid to save humanity will fail!"

Internet bloggers accused Cruise of threatening to not promote "Mission Impossible 3," a surefire summer blockbuster, if the offending episode ran. Comedy Central is owned by Viacom, as is Paramount, which is putting out "MI:3."

But Cruise's representative, Arnold Robinson, told The Associated Press Friday that the mega-star made no such demands.

"Not true," Robinson said. "I can tell you that he never said that."

A call by The Associated Press to a Paramount representative was not returned Friday.

The episode in question, "Trapped in the Closet," which first aired last November, shows Scientology leaders hailing Stan, one of the show's four devilish fourth graders, as a savior. A cartoon Cruise locks himself in a closet and won't come out. An animated
John Travolta, another famous Scientologist, enters the closet to try to get him out.

In another dig at the famously secretive religion, the credits at show's end are filled with names like "John Smith" and "Jane Smith."

The battle began in earnest earlier this week when
Isaac Hayes, another celebrity Scientologist and longtime show member voicing the ladies' man Chef quit the show, saying he could no longer tolerate its religious "intolerance and bigotry."

Stone and Parker didn't buy that either.

On Monday, Stone told The Associated Press, "This is 100 percent having to do with his faith in Scientology...He has no problem and he's cashed plenty of checks with our show making fun of Christians."

A Comedy Central spokesman said Friday that the network pulled the controversial episode to make room for two shows featuring Hayes.

"In light of the events of earlier this week, we wanted to give Chef an appropriate tribute by airing two episodes he is most known for," the spokesman said.

WVRed
03-22-2006, 07:37 PM
South Parks season premiere is tonight. Interestingly enough...

South Park creators Matt Stone and Trey Parker are exacting revenge on
Isaac Hayes, who publicly quit the show last week after saying the show exhibited "inappropriate ridicule of religious communities" in a November episode mocking
Tom Cruise and Scientology.
ADVERTISEMENT

Hayes, also a Scientologist, is the subject of The Return of Chef!, a hastily assembled 10th-season premiere airing tonight (Comedy Central, 10 ET/PT) and written in response to the actor's exit.

Details of the episode were kept under wraps, but an official description says that when Hayes' character, cafeteria "chef" Jerome McElroy, suddenly resurfaces, the South Park boys notice "something about (him) seems different. When Chef's strange behavior starts getting him in trouble, the boys pull out all the stops to save him."

Hayes' spokeswoman Amy Harnell says he recorded no new material for the episode, and her understanding is that the episode combines new animation with Hayes' older voice-overs.

Stone and Parker have noted South Park routinely mocks religious groups, and that Hayes never complained before.

Questions have been raised about Hayes' health. But Harnell says he was hospitalized Jan. 15 in Memphis with high blood pressure, and had "subsequent medical complications," but was released after a few days and is "totally fine now."

A Comedy Central spokesman said there are no immediate plans to air reruns of Trapped in the Closet, the episode that mocked Cruise, which was pulled last week.

Maybe its just me, but I never did notice that Chef was actually "gone".

WVRed
03-22-2006, 10:33 PM
As I figured, they killed Chef in the most violent way imaginable.

I wouldnt be suprised though if there is some major backlash from Scientology again and Isaac Hayes, maybe even a lawsuit.

LoganBuck
03-22-2006, 10:36 PM
Darth Chef Lives!

Chip R
03-23-2006, 12:20 AM
As I figured, they killed Chef in the most violent way imaginable.

I wouldnt be suprised though if there is some major backlash from Scientology again and Isaac Hayes, maybe even a lawsuit.

Well, they sure were not subtle. Having him be like that and having him be attracted to that large woman at the strip club and then having him die like that was pretty violent.

I have no idea what grounds they could sue on. Scientology was never mentioned and Chef is an animated character. They might be mad but there are no grounds to sue on. There is no defamation of character since Chef is not Isaac Hayes and the Super Adventurers Club is not Scientology. There is no libel or slander since it is fictional and did not mention HAyes or Scientology. It would be like Bill Clinton suing Joe Klein for Primary Colors.

Caveat Emperor
03-23-2006, 01:17 AM
Darth Chef Lives!

"He would have made a great child molester"

Fantastic episode. I like the way that Stone & Parker turned the hatred AWAY from Chef and towards the group that has "changed" him in their minds.

It's funny to think -- this show premiered when I was in high school, and if you would've told me that it would run 10 years and turn into one of those most interesting and relevant social commentaries on television, I'd have said you were nuts.

WVRed
03-23-2006, 08:51 AM
Here is an article of the episode for those who missed it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060323/ap_en_tv/tv_south_park_2

NEW YORK -
Isaac Hayes' Chef character got a true "South Park" send-off Wednesday night seemingly killed off but mourned as a jolly old guy whose brains were scrambled by the "Super Adventure Club."
ADVERTISEMENT

The thinly disguised satire continued the show's feud with Scientologists in its 10th season premiere on Comedy Central.

The soul singer has voiced the Chef character in "South Park" since 1997, but left recently because of what he called the animated show's religious "intolerance and bigotry." Founders Matt Stone and Trey Parker said Hayes, a Scientologist, was mad that "South Park" mocked the religion in an episode last November.

A rerun of that Scientology episode was mysteriously pulled off the air last week amid published reports that actor
Tom Cruise, another Scientologist, had used his clout to bury it. A Cruise spokesman denied that.

Hayes didn't participate in making Wednesday's episode; the character's lines appeared to be patched together through tapes of past dialogue.

Chef repeatedly said he wanted to "make sweet love" to the "South Park" elementary school kids it seems the "Super Adventure Club" turns its members into child molesters.

The children try to rescue Chef, but in the end he turns to head back to the "Super Adventure Club" until he falls off a bridge onto rocks, is burned, stabbed and mauled by a mountain lion and bear.

Then he apparently dies.

"A lot of us don't agree with the choices the Chef has made in the last few days," one of the children eulogizes him at a funeral. "Some of us feel hurt and confused that he seemed to turn his back on us. But we can't let the events of the past few weeks take away the memories of how Chef made us smile.

"We shouldn't be mad at Chef for leaving us," the eulogy concludes. "We should be mad at that fruity little club for scrambling his brains."

The door for Hayes' return wasn't completely closed. In the show's final scene, members of the "Super Adventure Club" try to revive Chef, and it's not clear he's really dead.

I think Darth Chef will return. Wouldnt be suprised if in the next episode he is the school cafeteria.

Steve4192
03-23-2006, 09:56 AM
Hayes didn't participate in making Wednesday's episode; the character's lines appeared to be patched together through tapes of past dialogue.
Wow. Nothing gets past this guy.

Hello ... there ... CHILDREN!!!
That's right! .... Jimbo.
I want to make sweet love ... to your ... rectum ... children.

smith288
03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
Here is an article of the episode for those who missed it.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060323/ap_en_tv/tv_south_park_2

I think Darth Chef will return. Wouldnt be suprised if in the next episode he is the school cafeteria.
Oh old Chef is gone alright... Just now his Character will be a brainwashed apprentice of the Super Adventures Club and will be hammered at whenever the guys feel like it.

Steve4192
03-23-2006, 11:41 AM
Nah. I think Matt & Trey made it pretty clear they still have a lot of love for Chef/Isaac, they just don't understand his decision and they despise Scientology for forcing him to make that decision. I don't think they'll make a mockery of the Chef character, but they will go out of their way at every opportunity to take shots at Scientology.

smith288
03-23-2006, 12:50 PM
Nah. I think Matt & Trey made it pretty clear they still have a lot of love for Chef/Isaac, they just don't understand his decision and they despise Scientology for forcing him to make that decision. I don't think they'll make a mockery of the Chef character, but they will go out of their way at every opportunity to take shots at Scientology.
The eulogy was pretty clear that they still loved Isaac Hayes and wished he was still with them and they slammed Scietology for scrambling his brain.

Steve4192
03-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Interesting report on this situation from everyone's favorite news outlet.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,188463,00.html

Not sure how much truth there is to this report, but I wouldn't put it past the leaders of the church to make this decision and issue a statement without consulting the recuperating Mr. Hayes.

LoganBuck
04-05-2006, 11:06 PM
Did anyone else catch South Park tonight? It was a total slam against Comedy Central and Scientology. Wow.

WVRed
04-05-2006, 11:20 PM
Did anyone else catch South Park tonight? It was a total slam against Comedy Central and Scientology. Wow.

I kinda read it as a slam against Tom Cruise more than anything.

Its a two parter. And its a chance for them to make fun of Family Guy. Comparing Family Guy, The Simpsons, and South Park, I dont know of any more heated rivalries in cartoons right now.

savafan
04-06-2006, 01:58 AM
Interesting report on this situation from everyone's favorite news outlet.

http://www.foxnews.com/printer_friendly_story/0,3566,188463,00.html

Not sure how much truth there is to this report, but I wouldn't put it past the leaders of the church to make this decision and issue a statement without consulting the recuperating Mr. Hayes.

This is all very disturbing.

Caveat Emperor
04-06-2006, 02:44 AM

They managed to crap on quite a few of their new favorite whipping boys in this episode:
- Scientologists / Catholics for trying (and succeeding) to get episodes of the show pulled that they disagreed with
- Comedy Central for caving into the pressure and creating the prescedent that all you have to do is cluck loudly enough and they'll give in
- People who claim to be in favor of free speech until they actually have to do something to defend their right
- Journalists and TV stations that refused to show the Muhammed cartoons and hoped that if they "just ignored it" that they wouldn't be subject to any problems.
- Family Guy, and it's particular "throw random references all over the place for a laugh" brand of humor (which, apparently, Matt & Trey hate being compared to)

and, of course...

- Jerry Bruckheimer movies where everything is over the top, everyone overemotes like William Shatner, every monologue sounds heroic, every piece of music is bombastic, and everything explodes on impact.

For what it's worth, I thought it was a great episode -- technically speaking, the animation is light years ahead of what it's been in previous seasons, and from a writing standpoint, the whole thing just worked (they managed to, in some 2 minutes of screen time, perfectly capture the essence of a Family Guy episode).

It's also ironic to note that, although they make a huge deal in the episode about showing a depiction of Muhammed, South Park has already done that. Back in 2001, they did an episode called "The Super Best Friends" where Muhammed (and his powers of fire) teamed with Christ, Buddah, John Smith, Lao Tsu, and Krishna to form a superhero team.

Simpler times back then...

Hap
04-06-2006, 10:05 AM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Criticism_of_Family_Guy

This article says that Trey Parker and Matt Stone do not like Family Guy. It also implies that Seth MacFarlane and Matt Groening are friends, or at least have mutual respect.

Steve4192
04-06-2006, 11:36 AM
Did anyone else catch South Park tonight?
Coolest ... car chase ... ever!

WVRed
04-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Coolest ... car chase ... ever!

Yeah, that was pretty cool. I almost thought they were going to kill off another character until they showed it was just a dream.(Ike)

WVRed
04-13-2006, 03:47 PM
They managed to crap on quite a few of their new favorite whipping boys in this episode:
- Scientologists / Catholics for trying (and succeeding) to get episodes of the show pulled that they disagreed with
- Comedy Central for caving into the pressure and creating the prescedent that all you have to do is cluck loudly enough and they'll give in
- People who claim to be in favor of free speech until they actually have to do something to defend their right
- Journalists and TV stations that refused to show the Muhammed cartoons and hoped that if they "just ignored it" that they wouldn't be subject to any problems.
- Family Guy, and it's particular "throw random references all over the place for a laugh" brand of humor (which, apparently, Matt & Trey hate being compared to)

Add Bart Simpson and Brokeback Mountain to this list as well.

Bart:"I'm a bad kid"
Cartman:"Really? What is the worst thing you've ever done?"
Bart:"I once stole the head off a statue"
Cartman:"Right, there was this kid I didnt like, so I cut up his parents and ground them up into chili, and fed it to him."
Bart:"Wow, you are a bad kid."*rolls off on skateboard*