PDA

View Full Version : Bonds told Griffey

reds44
03-14-2006, 12:12 AM
That he was going to start takign steroids durign the 98 season.

ESPN

Mario-Rijo
03-14-2006, 12:14 AM
Man you are quick. I just saw it on ESPN myself. It did say that it was Jr. and "3 other men". Neil Everett also stated Jr. was not the informant of this info!

MasonBuzz3
03-14-2006, 12:48 AM
Buster Olney just reported the same story on Baseball Tonight

KronoRed
03-14-2006, 01:48 AM
Hope (slight) that JR doesn't get a lot of questions about this.

Gainesville Red
03-14-2006, 02:04 AM
Hope (slight) that JR doesn't get a lot of questions about this.

Seriously, even though he didn't do anything, I wish his name could have stayed completley out of this.

What a mess this whole steroid thing is.

RedFanAlways1966
03-14-2006, 07:53 AM
So Griffey is a man of honor who does not "tell on" other players like Canseco did. It is a part of the unwritten rules of the clubhouse. Right or wrong, it is the way things should be in the world of athletes. Unlike other players (B*O*N*D*S included), Junior seems to be a great team guy.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 08:02 AM
Good thing this isn't 1921 or Jr. would be in serious trouble.

If I weren't such a trusting person, I'd say this came out of Bonds' camp in order to deflect attention away from him and his problems. If I weren't so trusting I'd say Bonds is jealous of all the positive attention Jr. has been getting recently and is leaking this info to make Jr. look bad too. Good thing I'm such a trusting person.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 10:19 AM
I agree with Gainsville about just wishing Junior's name would stay way away from this whole story.

Now he's going to have to answer countless questions on this subject and undoubtedly will be rumored by somebody to have juiced up himself.

Rotater Cuff
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
Richard Skinner on 1360 homer had a similar story last week. They said Bonds told Griffey that he should be doing steroids so he could prolong his career. Griffey reportedly told him no thanks. This was reportedly from a very strong source.

top6
03-14-2006, 11:30 AM
is there any indication that it was griffey who told the reporter about this?

unless that's true (and griffey basically reported a private conversation in the press), i don't see how this makes griffey look bad at all. it emphasizes the contrast between the two - one decided to age naturally, one didn't.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 11:32 AM
Buster Olney said (rather pointed) that Junior was not the source of the information.

Jr's Boy
03-14-2006, 11:40 AM
Just curious,would steroids make you faster,as far as bat speed is concerned?

BrooklynRedz
03-14-2006, 12:39 PM

It would certainly help you get the bat through the hitting zone faster, as that would seem to me to be related to strength. But I have no first-hand knowledge of this. ;)

KronoRed
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
Now he's going to have to answer countless questions on this subject and undoubtedly will be rumored by somebody to have juiced up himself.
Anyone who accuses JR of that is a complete and total idiot, I'm sure someone will of course.

Rotater Cuff
03-14-2006, 01:05 PM

George Foster said this:
"I'm amazed how much it improves somebody's performance. It increased hand-to-eye coordination so much that is unreal. (The playing field) isn't even anymore"

No question it makes you stronger, but it really helps your eyes follow the ball. Human Growth Hormone still isn't being checked on, by the way.

kbrake
03-14-2006, 01:17 PM
I highly doubt anyone will ever call Griffey out publicly on the steroid issue.

savafan
03-14-2006, 02:06 PM
[COLOR="Red"]

No question it makes you stronger, but it really helps your eyes follow the ball. Human Growth Hormone still isn't being checked on, by the way.

I believe HGH can only be picked up in blood testing, which is not a part of the CBA.

BrooklynRedz
03-14-2006, 03:48 PM
I believe HGH can only be picked up in blood testing, which is not a part of the CBA.

Bingo. From what I understand, you can't test for HGH itself; you have to test for the markers used to hide the HGH.

Nugget
03-14-2006, 06:44 PM
The story seems to be slightly different and either way it doesn't put Junior in a bad light. He was either told by Bonds that he (Bonds) was going to take steriods (which I very much doubt because from what I understand Bonds and Junior aren't that close and even if he did Bonds would have told many more before Junior) or Bonds told Junior to take steriods to improve his career. Either way Junior really doesn't need to tell anybody anything because he has no proof that steriods was taken all it is that Bonds may have talked to him about steriods. It would be different if Bonds actually offered some to him.

Furthermore, Junior has kept his mouth shut both one way or another. I'm guessing this is some kind of leak by Bonds because of all the admiration Junior is getting (and his performance in the WBC which must be making Bonds turn green). Plus Junior made it into the All Century team.

BuckeyeRed27
03-14-2006, 06:48 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2368395&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab1pos1

This story starts out talking about Junior and Bonds relationship and then goes into more of the same of what we've been hearing about Bonds. Not a bad read though.

RFS62
03-14-2006, 10:09 PM
Regardless of the truth or validity of the story, it seems plausible as to Bond's motivation to juice.

He sees Big Mac and Sosa becoming icons, he feels for sure they're juicing with impunity, and he figures it's his last chance to cash in.

Then, he feels the incredible power you get from the juice, and he's hooked on the feeling. He now rationalizes whatever he needs to stay on the juice, keep the increased physical prowess.

I know it's nothing more than late night speculation, but it's not that far fetched to me.

There will be no shortage of this kind of speculation about Bonds for the rest of his life.