PDA

View Full Version : Griffey Jr. How Hot Is This Kid!

RedLegSuperStar
03-14-2006, 04:41 AM
Batting .588
3 HR's
10 RBI's
2 Doubles
.650 OBP
1.235 Slugging
1.885 OPS
2 K's in 17 AB

Caveat Emperor
03-14-2006, 04:52 AM
He's locked in at the plate, no doubt.

Most encouraging, though, is the fact that he's driving through the ball with his legs and rotating his body effectively to produce power out of his swing. That indicates, to me, that he's suffering no lingering effects from his foot injury and off-season knee surgery. He's light-years ahead of where he was at the start of last season.

Also, as an aside, I'm really starting to get into the WBC a lot more than I thought I would. Team USA kinda bores me (other than Griffey), but it's fun to see a lot of these national teams, stocked with players from other leagues. I think the whole concept of the tournament needs more work -- timing issues need to be addressed, international umpire crews are a must, and better logistical planning for sales and promotion are needed -- but I like what I see in a first go-around.

It's not perfect, but it's certainly a sight more entertaining than grapefruit league action.

Jpup
03-14-2006, 06:58 AM
Jr. has looked amazing and it can't be anything but good news for the Reds. IMO, he is clearly the best player on the USA team right now.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 09:22 AM
He really looks 10 years younger on the field. He's running around well in the field and he looks as good at the plate as we've seen him in a long time.

M2
03-14-2006, 09:27 AM
He really looks 10 years younger on the field. He's running around well in the field and he looks as good at the plate as we've seen him in a long time.

Looks the same in the field to me -- incredibly graceful with no range.

Though if Jr. continues to be the hero for Team USA will there be a market for him? If his bat carries the national team to glory I've got think that some teams will believe he can do the same for them and a World Series title.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 09:33 AM
Though if Jr. continues to be the hero for Team USA will there be a market for him? If his bat carries the national team to glory I've got think that some teams will believe he can do the same for them and a World Series title.
I don't want to turn this into a trade or don't trade Griffey thread, but I think the new ownership group needs a drawing card in thier first season on the field. Outside Junior, there isn't anyone on this team that people are going to buy tickets to see and if Junior's healthy and putting up numbers not only does he help the team on the field but he can put 30,000 butts in the seats by himself. Nobody else on this team can do that.

registerthis
03-14-2006, 09:39 AM
Looks the same in the field to me -- incredibly graceful with no range.

I guess the question the Reds will need to answer will be, is it worth more to them to unload Junior's contract to a willing buyer, or to have him pursue 600 HRs as a Red--and the accompanying profits and accolades? I dunno, but I do think with all of the steroid talk with Bonds, Sosa, Palmeiro, McGwire et al, Junior is going to garner a lot of interest as he begins knocking on the door of 600. The sentimental side of my sure would like to see him hit #s 400, 500 AND 600 as a Red, that's for sure.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 09:42 AM
I don't want to turn this into a trade or don't trade Griffey thread, but I think the new ownership group needs a drawing card in thier first season on the field. Red missed their chance. I truly believe they wll live to regret not trading Jr to the Sox in exchange for Young. I really believe he will be a star in Arizona starting in 2007.

M2
03-14-2006, 09:44 AM
I don't want to turn this into a trade or don't trade Griffey thread, but I think the new ownership group needs a drawing card in thier first season on the field. Outside Junior, there isn't anyone on this team that people are going to buy tickets to see and if Junior's healthy and putting up numbers not only does he help the team on the field but he can put 30,000 butts in the seats by himself. Nobody else on this team can do that.

IMO the new ownership needs to get about the business of building a better team. Adam Dunn and Felipe Lopez are young All-Stars. If you can't sell that, then you can't sell baseball.

Trade considerations are unavoidable. If Jr. continues to rake on a big stage like the WBC that will grow the market for his services. If Krivsky can move Jr. for some prime young talent and free up millions in the process, how does he say no?

Red missed their chance. I truly believe they wll live to regret not trading Jr to the Sox in exchange for Young. I really believe he will be a star in Arizona starting in 2007.

Agreed. Carl Lindner had a talent for overruling people when they seemingly made the right call.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 09:50 AM
IMO the new ownership needs to get about the business of building a better team. Adam Dunn and Felipe Lopez are young All-Stars. If you can't sell that, then you can't sell baseball.
Dunn and Lopez are developing into very nice ballplayers, if not potential superstars (particularly in Dunn's case). But they are not players that most people would sit at home on a Friday morning of a game day and say I want to go down and see Dunn play. They aren't going to feel compelled to buy a ticket just to see him play.

Junior on the other hand, if he approaches the 600 homerun mark in a Reds uniform...even if the team is 20 games out the stadium is going to be sold out every day. That means more exposure for the Reds, that means more revenue generated and a potentially better product on the field as a result.

Junior makes people come out to see him play. Dunn and/or Lopez just aren't at that level yet.

Wheelhouse
03-14-2006, 09:55 AM
From WBC "best performers" notes on MLB.com:

Junior Griffey deserves a spot in this category, not just because he was 3-for-4 with a solo homer and RBI single for the USA, but also because he told Clemens: "You look good in a red jersey." That's what the Rocket said in his pregame press conference. Nothing like being an ambassador for the Cincinnati Reds while you're representing your country.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 09:57 AM
Outside Junior, there isn't anyone on this team that people are going to buy tickets to see and if Junior's healthy and putting up numbers not only does he help the team on the field but he can put 30,000 butts in the seats by himself. Nobody else on this team can do that.

Junior played pretty well last year yet the Reds didn't draw well.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 10:15 AM
Junior played pretty well last year yet the Reds didn't draw well.
He also started the year out slow as molasses and wasn't chasing any milestones. If he gets out to a hot start in April and approaches 40-45 homers the Reds will draw better than if he doesn't.

I should probably take myself out of this arguement due to the fact that he's my all time favorite and I don't want to see him traded for anything.

Chip R
03-14-2006, 10:25 AM
He also started the year out slow as molasses and wasn't chasing any milestones. If he gets out to a hot start in April and approaches 40-45 homers the Reds will draw better than if he doesn't.

I should probably take myself out of this arguement due to the fact that he's my all time favorite and I don't want to see him traded for anything.

The Reds will draw better when they win Jr. or no Jr. I like Jr. as much as the next guy but the problem Reds fans have with him - and Pena and Kearns is that they want to trade them when they are going bad but when they are playing well they wouldn't take Johann Santana for them. Trading Jr. is somewhat of a moot point anyway since he can veto any trade. So it isn't like we can even trade him for a Santana if a deal like that were to be offered.

westofyou
03-14-2006, 10:37 AM
Depending on Jr. to draw fans is a ship that sailed 5 years ago when he was writhing on the ground and being booed.

Blimpie
03-14-2006, 10:58 AM
Batting .588
3 HR's
10 RBI's
2 Doubles
.650 OBP
1.235 Slugging
1.885 OPS
2 K's in 17 ABI wonder what could be different about this team? Hmmm..anybody else re-thinking the Reds recent choice for 1B Coach? :evil:

Caseyfan21
03-14-2006, 11:04 AM
I wonder what could be different about this team? Hmmm..anybody else re-thinking the Reds recent choice for 1B Coach? :evil:

Haha, I was going to remark about the family affair as well but from Trey's angle instead. Watching the past two games, what does everyone think the over under for ESPN showing Trey will be for the next game? The only person getting more positive coverage in the WBC than Junior has got to be Trey. The media always loves to pick a cute kid, girlfriend (for NCAA basketball), or other storyline and play it up during their coverage. Trey Griffey come on down.

Joking aside, so glad to see Junior doing well and having fun. It's great to see all of the positive press he's been getting as well. Hopefully he can bring that positive attitude back to the Reds and we can carry it into the year. :beerme:

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 11:12 AM
I think his early success has more to do with the fact that he finally had an offseason where he didn't have to rehab from major injuries more than anything else. All he had to worry about this winter was staying in shape and getting stronger.

No matter what the reason is, I just hope it carries over from April 3rd and beyond.

RedsManRick
03-14-2006, 11:13 AM
People show up to watch winners. Not trading Junior because he's a draw this year is like the Jim Bowden approach to building a pitching staff. You lose the forest for the trees. A 90 win team sans Junior draws a bunch more people than a 70 win team with him.

I'm not saying we should or shouldn't deal him, but if the concern is our ability to draw fans, then winning should be the concern, not the names which make it happen.

top6
03-14-2006, 11:26 AM
Depending on Jr. to draw fans is a ship that sailed 5 years ago when he was writhing on the ground and being booed.I disagree with this. Name a star player that hasn't been booed at some point. Look around at any Reds game, either in Cincinnati or away. Most of the Reds jerseys you see are still Griffey jerseys - especially on little kids. If he starts chasing 600 HR in a few years, I think he will be a big draw.

That said, I would still trade him for young talent if the opportunity presented itself (and we didn't have to pay too much of his salary). Not only would that be the best thing for the Reds, it would be the best thing for Griffey. I'd like to see him get the chance to play in the post-season. And that's not happening here.

redsfan30
03-14-2006, 11:27 AM
Depending on Jr. to draw fans is a ship that sailed 5 years ago when he was writhing on the ground and being booed.
And those same people who booed him on the warning track in 2003 were the same ones who were chearing him in 2004 when he was at 499 homeruns.

Jr's Boy
03-14-2006, 11:46 AM
And those same people who booed him on the warning track in 2003 were the same ones who were chearing him in 2004 when he was at 499 homeruns.

How true.

TRF
03-14-2006, 11:51 AM
It isn't Krivsky's call to trade Jr. Explore trade possibilities yes, but actually trade him, no.

It's Jr.'s call, and his alone. To be perfectly honest, I think he's content to play out his contract in Cincinnati. He has everything he wants except a ring, and while I think he wants a few of those, I think, especially in light of the fact that he has lost a few friend to tragedy over the past couple of years, that his children being near his home and his family are the most important things. The Reds are special to him.

He isn't going anywhere.

My hope was for WMP to show some value in the WBC.

M2
03-14-2006, 11:58 AM
It isn't Krivsky's call to trade Jr. Explore trade possibilities yes, but actually trade him, no.

It's Jr.'s call, and his alone. To be perfectly honest, I think he's content to play out his contract in Cincinnati. He has everything he wants except a ring, and while I think he wants a few of those, I think, especially in light of the fact that he has lost a few friend to tragedy over the past couple of years, that his children being near his home and his family are the most important things. The Reds are special to him.

He isn't going anywhere.

I think he's a guy who likes a certain amount of control over his life, but if he could move to what he perceives as a good situation and retain his no-trade clause, then I'm guessing he'd be open to the notion.

Also, if the USA wins the WBC title, that might get his juices flowing to play for a contender.

TRF
03-14-2006, 12:09 PM
Maybe, but Jr. seems to be a guy from all accounts that feels things deeply. I think Puckett's death affected him profoundly, especially from what I read about him speaking to Kirby's son.

I think he wants his kids surrounded by his family, and by extension some members of the Reds are part of that family.

I think he stays put.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 12:24 PM
Carroll on JR in WBC

Ken Griffey Jr. is looking more and more like his dad as he ages. I’m sure he doesn’t mind that so much, but part of the package this year is a lot more weight around the midsection. No one will accuse Junior of juicing, as his chemicals of choice this off-season look more like Twinkies and In-N-Out double-doubles. Then again, he got his weight behind a towering pull shot off Min Han Son, last year’s Korean League MVP.

M2
03-14-2006, 12:26 PM
Min Han Son?

http://www.ezthemes.com/previews/t/ttasetup.jpg

Which one is he?

Johnny Footstool
03-14-2006, 12:30 PM
Red missed their chance. I truly believe they wll live to regret not trading Jr to the Sox in exchange for Young. I really believe he will be a star in Arizona starting in 2007.

Trading Jr. for a Brian Hunter clone instead of a young pitcher was (and still is) a bad idea.

M2
03-14-2006, 12:35 PM
Trading Jr. for a Brian Hunter clone instead of a young pitcher was (and still is) a bad idea.

Hunter had no power, refused to walk and wasn't a very good defender.

Young has power, a good BB rate and plays sterling defense. Seems to me that the only particular trait they share is that both are fast ... and since when is that a bad thing?

Also, I believe it was rumored that a pitcher would be part of the package with Young and Rogosin.

flyer85
03-14-2006, 12:39 PM
Trading Jr. for a Brian Hunter clone instead of a young pitcher was (and still is) a bad idea.Young put up big numbers playing his home games in an extreme pitchers park. Young's 26 dingers last year happen to be one more than Hunter hit in his entire big league career but a good comparable I'm sure.

KronoRed
03-14-2006, 12:46 PM
Carroll on JR in WBC
I still say it's those uniforms, nobody looks good in all white.

M2
03-14-2006, 12:48 PM
I still say it's those uniforms, nobody looks good in all white.

Except for Raisor. He's dreamy.

TeamBoone
03-14-2006, 02:18 PM
• Junior Griffey deserves a spot in this category, not just because he was 3-for-4 with a solo homer and RBI single for the USA, but also because he told Clemens: "You look good in a red jersey." That's what the Rocket said in his pregame press conference. Nothing like being an ambassador for the Cincinnati Reds while you're representing your country.

Gotta love it!

I guess Clemons thought it was pretty funny too, seeing as how he quoted him during a press conference.

letsgojunior
03-14-2006, 02:20 PM

The PS in PSR does stand for 'purely sexy.';)

TeamBoone
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
I disagree with this. Name a star player that hasn't been booed at some point.

Booing is one thing. Booing at a guy who is writhing on the ground in severe pain is something else totally. It was disgusting!

You don't do that if it's a visiting player and you sure as heck don't do it for one of your own.

I don't ever want to see someone physically injured and in dreadful pain... even if I don't particularly like the person. Inexcusable in my eyes. I'll never forget that day (I was there) and what a sick feeling it gave me in the pit of my stomach.

westofyou
03-14-2006, 02:22 PM
The PS in PSR does stand for 'purely sexy.';)
I thought it stood for Pithy Southerner.

Raisor
03-14-2006, 02:27 PM

You ain't lyin'

KronoRed
03-14-2006, 02:52 PM
The ladies like it

Johnny Footstool
03-14-2006, 06:00 PM
Also, I believe it was rumored that a pitcher would be part of the package with Young and Rogosin.

The deal discussed in the papers was Griffey and a big pile of cash for Chris Young and C+ prospect Casey Rogowski. No pitching.