PDA

View Full Version : Will Bonds break Aaron's or Ruth's mark?

GoReds
03-14-2006, 10:18 AM
Been thinking about this since the excerpts from the book started hitting the news wires. Will Bonds actually break Ruth's mark?

Bonds has been able to skate by all the while depending on steroids to generate his numbers over the last several years. What about this year? He should be under such scrutiny that even the thought of him popping an aspirin should lead to an immediate drug test. I HOPE they have developed tests to help detect the "cream" and the "clear". If so, then this could be the first year since 1998 that Bonds hasn't had that crutch to lean on.

Will he start to "Mark McGwire" overnight? Are we going to see his muscle mass disappear quickly? There is no way that his "normal" 43 year-old body is going to withstand long workouts and time is rather unforgiving.

And then, you can count on one hand the number of players that have hit for as many as 20 HRs after they turned 43.

I think it's 50-50 that Bonds now passes Ruth. I think there's a better chance that Bonds spends a majority of the season on the DL and then quietly retires. There is NO chance that he catches Aaron.

Highlifeman21
03-14-2006, 10:22 AM
Been thinking about this since the excerpts from the book started hitting the news wires. Will Bonds actually break Ruth's mark?

Bonds has been able to skate by all the while depending on steroids to generate his numbers over the last several years. What about this year? He should be under such scrutiny that even the thought of him popping an aspirin should lead to an immediate drug test. I HOPE they have developed tests to help detect the "cream" and the "clear". If so, then this could be the first year since 1998 that Bonds hasn't had that crutch to lean on.

Will he start to "Mark McGwire" overnight? Are we going to see his muscle mass disappear quickly? There is no way that his "normal" 43 year-old body is going to withstand long workouts and time is rather unforgiving.

And then, you can count on one hand the number of players that have hit for as many as 20 HRs after they turned 43.

I think it's 50-50 that Bonds now passes Ruth. I think there's a better chance that Bonds spends a majority of the season on the DL and then quietly retires. There is NO chance that he catches Aaron.

I think there is zero chance Bonds quietly retires. While he may retire this season, it will be one of the most celebrated/debated decisions ever.