PDA

View Full Version : Reds Claim OF Matt Kata from Phils

deltachi8
03-15-2006, 02:43 PM
Per Mark's blog.

EDIT: MATT Kata. My bad.

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
He's a utility player, but he's actually more of an infielder.

Meh.

Let's see here: Aurilia, Womack, Menechino, Olmedo, Bergolla...and now Kata. How many futility infielders does one team need? Maybe Aurilia is trade bait as he was DanO's boy anyway, and Edwin's spring raking has made that insurance superfluous?

I see they released Allen Simpson to fit Kata on the 40 man. They must believe his control problems are unfixable, which is odd after they sent him to the AFL where he had success followed by his recent success this spring. A bit of a headscratcher.

oneupper
03-15-2006, 02:45 PM
Per Mark's blog.

EDIT: MATT Kata. My bad.

It's OK. We can make some chowder. :D

pedro
03-15-2006, 02:46 PM
I think he catches too.

edit : guess not.

savafan
03-15-2006, 02:47 PM
It's OK. We can make some chowder. :D

:laugh: beat me to it.

pedro
03-15-2006, 02:48 PM
oh goody. another marginal second baseman. we're cornering the market we are.

Doc. Scott
03-15-2006, 02:52 PM
-Ohio native (Avon Lake)- attended sports-factory St. Ignatius.

-Vanderbilt grad. Ninth-round pick in 1999 by Arizona. Originally picked out of high school by Minnesota in 1996 (bingo!).

-Switch-hitter.

-Made the bigs at age 25 in 2003 and hit .257/.315/.420 in 78 games, playing mostly at second, sometimes at third, and occasionally at shortstop.

-Dropped to .247/.301/.364 in 42 games in the Diamondbacks' 51-111 2004 season, playing almost all second base.

-Thirty games in 2005 with Arizona and 10 with Philadelphia, but a total of 37 at-bats. Used primarily as a pinch-hitter, and didn't do much. The Phillies got him on July 22nd (http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/tradelog-viewtrade.cgi?trade&x_id=287) from Arizona for aged reliever Tim Worrell.

The Toronto Star's scouting report (these are always pretty optimistic):

ASSETS: Has everything you'd want in a utility player: defensive versatility, a strong glove, the ability to switch-hit, speed, hustle, and a little pop in his bat.

FLAWS: Struggles some as a left-handed hitter and breaking balls give him trouble.

CAREER POTENTIAL: A decent utility infielder.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 02:53 PM
I see they released Allen Simpson to fit Kata on the 40 man. They must believe his control problems are unfixable, which is odd after they sent him to the AFL where he had success followed by his recent success this spring. A bit of a headscratcher.Hopefully the start of Krivsky culling the deadwood leftover from DanO.

Hopefully the Kata acquisition signals the end of Menechino and Womack.

pedro
03-15-2006, 02:55 PM
I think they're trading Freel, why else would they continue to stock pile second basemen?

Doc. Scott
03-15-2006, 02:58 PM
I think this development is good for fans if it might help accidentally get T-Woe out on his bony little ass.

Menechino doesn't have Kata's glove or pop, but he'll get on base more. I'm not sure that Krivsky would pick Frankie given those parameters.

Having Matt as your infield backup next to whichever of Freel or Aurilia isn't playing and Denorfia and Hatteberg and whoever's not catching that day on the bench... not a terribly bad reserve corps. Not much power, but good versatility and no total offensive zeroes.

Of course, we'll likely get Womack or McCracken instead of Denorfia at least to start. But even that still makes this bench better than the ones Bob Boone was sitting on.

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 02:59 PM
Hopefully the start of Krivsky culling the deadwood leftover from DanO.

Hopefully the Kata acquisition signals the end of Menechino and Womack.

That's what I figured. Krivsky must not be a Simpson fan. It just seemed like odd timing to me.

Here's a depressing thought. If we give Dave Williams the benefit of the doubt as the "major" offseason acquisition to bolster this ballclup, then Kata would have to be in the mix for the 2nd biggest addition along with such luminaries as Womack, Hatteberg, Hammond, Rick White, Gosling, Burns, Timo, McCracken & Balfour's mangled arm.

Is it too late to sign up for season tickets?

savafan
03-15-2006, 03:00 PM
I think they're trading Freel, why else would they continue to stock pile second basemen?

You may be right, but I hope not. I don't think Freel could get the kind of return that his value for the team would be equally replaced.

pedro
03-15-2006, 03:02 PM
In just don't see them cutting Womack. But I'd love to be wrong.

I guess if Kata can play a competent SS then he might not be bad to have around in AAA.

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Rotoworld:

Reds claimed infielder Matt Kata off waivers from the Phillies.
This monopoly on mediocre second baseman doesn't seem at all likely to pay dividends for the Reds. Kata should have no place on the team with Ryan Freel, Rich Aurilia and Tony Womack all expected to have jobs, and since he's 28, he's not going to benefit from more Triple-A time. We just don't see any point to this waiver claim. Even Frank Menechino is probably a better player than Kata, and he's not going to have a roster spot. Mar. 15 - 2:03 pm et

Reds released RHP Allan Simpson.
Another surprising choice from the Reds. Simpson, acquired for Jose Acevedo a year ago, pitched very well in the AFL and had allowed just an unearned run over five innings this spring. The 28-year-old was neven going to amount to much despite his big fastball, but the Reds can hardly afford to keep throwing away their pitching depth like this. Mar. 15 - 2:00 pm et

Doc. Scott
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
Except Kata should be out of options. So he'd have to clear waivers.

My guess is that Matt isn't a terribly great shortstop if he plays mostly at second base. If he were a really good second baseman he'd probably have gotten more opportunities to play short.

As for third base, there's this recent Rotoworld nugget:

---
Mar. 7, 2006 - 5:30 pm et

Matt Kata went 0-for-4 and committed three errors as the Phillies' third baseman today.
---

NJReds
03-15-2006, 03:08 PM
Unless there's some sort of deal in the works, this makes no sense.

And even then it's a head scratcher.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 03:10 PM
I think it is a sure sign that someone will be gone shortly.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
I think it is a sure sign that someone will be gone shortly.
I'd guess Freel as well

I mean we have Womack to lead off :confused:

IslandRed
03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
BP's book said of Kata, "He has a good arm and can play second and third well and short credibly. If Kata tried to work the count at all, he might be able to parlay his limited batting skills and good speed into a nice career as a utility infielder."

My guess is that Krivsky wanted a utility infielder who was better with the glove than the guys on hand. My hope is that adding another utility guy to go with Aurilia is a sign that Freel will get the 2B job and the rest of the dreck hits the road.

M2
03-15-2006, 03:24 PM
Is there any truth to the rumor that Matt Kata has a brother named Jim?

http://www.sportshollywood.com/images/gymkata.jpg

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 03:26 PM
I hear Brandon Phillips, Tony Graffanino, Todd Walker & Kaz Matsui are available.

Actually, I'd like to see what Brandon Phillips could do in a full-time stint as the Reds 2B. He's a few years past the Barry Larkin comparisons, but he has tools, he'd improve the middle infield defense and the Reds have the lineup to accomodate his "iffy" stick. This is a player who could thrive with a fresh start.

lollipopcurve
03-15-2006, 03:29 PM
Could be a prelude to cutting Womack (and saving some dough). As I've said, Womack won't make the team.

IslandRed
03-15-2006, 03:36 PM
Could be a prelude to cutting Womack (and saving some dough). As I've said, Womack won't make the team.

Womack's in the second year of a two-year guaranteed deal, so we wouldn't save anything unless someone else picked him up. Having said that, $1.1 million isn't too much to eat.

lollipopcurve
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Womack's in the second year of a two-year guaranteed deal, so we wouldn't save anything unless someone else picked him up. Having said that, $1.1 million isn't too much to eat.

My bad. Too bad.

Johnny Footstool
03-15-2006, 03:45 PM
Props to M2 for remembering one of the worst movies of all time.

BTW - "Matt Kata" sounds like a fighting style a la "Rex Kwan Do."

flyer85
03-15-2006, 03:59 PM
Props to M2 for remembering one of the worst movies of all time.Hopefully Matt is no Kurt Thomas

Heath
03-15-2006, 04:00 PM
I hope Matt Kata isn't WayneK's version of Jason Romano.

Just sayin'

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 04:06 PM
Hey, Bobby Hill is now available too. Pads just released him.

Pick him up, dump another pitcher.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 04:06 PM
I hope Matt Kata isn't WayneK's version of Jason Romano.

Just sayin'Romano did nothing at the major league for anybody. Kata has already exceeded that. He is what he is, a utility IF. However, I am going to take it as a sign that someone else is leaving. :pray:

Heath
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
Romano did nothing at the major league for anybody. Kata has already exceeded that. He is what he is, a utility IF. However, I am going to take it as a sign that someone else is leaving. :pray:

Dunn. :rolleyes:

Sorry - the sarcasm has reached its capacity. You can stop tossing vegatables. Krono - lay off the search for the tomato-tossing smilies..... :D

Matt700wlw
03-15-2006, 04:19 PM
I believe Alan Simpson was released to make room for this.

Another O'Brien aquisition gone by the wayside.

Doc. Scott
03-15-2006, 04:21 PM
Olmedo and Bergolla are already going to AAA. Menechino is on a minor-league contract, so he can go to AAA as well (although he might ask to be let out, it's a possible courtesy/favor). Aurilia and Freel make the team no matter what. So it's really down to Kata and his zero options versus You Know Who.

And why would Krivsky have grabbed Kata if he was just going to be outrighted? Doesn't make sense. No, it's exceptionally possible that YKW is outta here, guaranteed money or no.

Red Leader
03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
I just simply can't see the Reds cutting Tony Womack, no matter how much this move suggests it. I really have no clue why this move was made today, but I don't think it has anything to do with Tony Womack. At this point, I very seriously think that Tony Womack will be the Reds Opening Day starter at 2B. When I see otherwise, I'll believe, but not until then.

pedro
03-15-2006, 04:24 PM
Hey, Bobby Hill is now available too. Pads just released him.

Pick him up, dump another pitcher.

that boy ain't right

http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/pinups/bobbyhill.jpg

Heath
03-15-2006, 04:25 PM
Olmedo and Bergolla are already going to AAA. Menechino is on a minor-league contract, so he can go to AAA as well (although he might ask to be let out, it's a possible courtesy/favor). Aurilia and Freel make the team no matter what. So it's really down to Kata and his zero options versus You Know Who.

And why would Krivsky have grabbed Kata if he was just going to be outrighted? Doesn't make sense. No, it's exceptionally possible that YKW is outta here, guaranteed money or no.

and if that's the case we basically gave up the Arizona Fall League hitting champion for a sack of used baseballs.

I hate Dan O'Brien. And the Horse he rode in on.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
And why would Krivsky have grabbed Kata if he was just going to be outrighted? Doesn't make sense. If it is not a precursor to a corrsponding move to unload an infielder than Krivsky is really ________. You can fill in the blank.

captainmorgan07
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
anybody else puzzled by the release of simpson if he's pitched so well in spring training

flyer85
03-15-2006, 04:28 PM
I just simply can't see the Reds cutting Tony Womack, no matter how much this move suggests it. I really have no clue why this move was made today, but I don't think it has anything to do with Tony Womack. At this point, I very seriously think that Tony Womack will be the Reds Opening Day starter at 2B. When I see otherwise, I'll believe, but not until then.I think we can guess how Narron feels about it but Krivsky did not acquire him and has not weighed in on the situation. Maybe the Marlins have realized they need a scrappy veteran(for nothing if they want).

flyer85
03-15-2006, 04:29 PM
anybody else puzzled by the release of simpson if he's pitched so well in spring trainingat his age and with his lack of command I saw the release of Hudson as a sign that Simpson's days were numbered.

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 04:49 PM
that boy ain't right

http://images.usatoday.com/life/gallery/pinups/bobbyhill.jpg

"Stop! That's my purse."

pedro
03-15-2006, 04:51 PM
"Stop! That's my purse."

that should be the battle cry of the reds 2006 pitching staff.

Heath
03-15-2006, 04:59 PM
3 pages on Matt Frickin' Kata.

I hate off-days. Even in spring training.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
I just simply can't see the Reds cutting Tony Womack, no matter how much this move suggests it. I really have no clue why this move was made today, but I don't think it has anything to do with Tony Womack. At this point, I very seriously think that Tony Womack will be the Reds Opening Day starter at 2B. When I see otherwise, I'll believe, but not until then.
Have to agree, Womack could go 0-1000 and he's making this team, he's proven and all that rot.

BRM
03-15-2006, 06:10 PM
Have to agree, Womack could go 0-1000 and he's making this team, he's proven and all that rot.

Proven to not deserve a roster spot...

Matt700wlw
03-15-2006, 06:21 PM
anybody else puzzled by the release of simpson if he's pitched so well in spring training

Spring Training stats don't matter. Ask Krivsky.

:)

Puffy
03-15-2006, 06:34 PM
Do you think Matt Kata's at bat song will be "In-a-Kata-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly?

StillFunkyB
03-15-2006, 08:46 PM
-Ohio native (Avon Lake)- attended sports-factory St. Ignatius.

-Vanderbilt grad. Ninth-round pick in 1999 by Arizona. Originally picked out of high school by Minnesota in 1996 (bingo!).

-Switch-hitter.

-Made the bigs at age 25 in 2003 and hit .257/.315/.420 in 78 games, playing mostly at second, sometimes at third, and occasionally at shortstop.

-Dropped to .247/.301/.364 in 42 games in the Diamondbacks' 51-111 2004 season, playing almost all second base.

-Thirty games in 2005 with Arizona and 10 with Philadelphia, but a total of 37 at-bats. Used primarily as a pinch-hitter, and didn't do much. The Phillies got him on July 22nd (http://tsf.waymoresports.thestar.com/thestar/baseball/tradelog-viewtrade.cgi?trade&x_id=287) from Arizona for aged reliever Tim Worrell.

The Toronto Star's scouting report (these are always pretty optimistic):

ASSETS: Has everything you'd want in a utility player: defensive versatility, a strong glove, the ability to switch-hit, speed, hustle, and a little pop in his bat.

FLAWS: Struggles some as a left-handed hitter and breaking balls give him trouble.

CAREER POTENTIAL: A decent utility infielder.

Avon Lake is my Alma Madder's arch rival. :)

Crash Davis
03-15-2006, 09:05 PM
Krivsky's response per Marc Lancaster's blog:

http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

UPDATE: Apparently, Mr. Kata will dive into the mix of utility guys already in camp.

"He gives us a lot of versatility, he can play second, short, third and go in the outfield," said Krivsky. "One more option for Jerry, thatís all."

As for Simpson, who hadn't allowed an earned run in five spring training appearances, it sounds like the new administration didn't value him as highly as the last one did.

"We just felt like there were other people ahead of him at this stage," said Krivsky. "We appreciate all heís done for us the last year or so and hopefully he can hook on with someone else and stay in big leagues."

pedro
03-16-2006, 03:09 AM
oh goody. another marginal second baseman. we're cornering the market we are.

I got negged for this.

:laugh: :laugh:

MartyFan
03-16-2006, 03:44 AM
Do you think Matt Kata's at bat song will be "In-a-Kata-Da-Vida" by Iron Butterfly?

I think it should be "Welcome Back" the theme song to "Welcome Back Kotter" by John Sebastian..who of course was also the frontman of "Lovin Spoonful"...of course we would have to change it to "Welcome back Kata"...I guess Horshack did sort of say it that way though, right?

:D

KronoRed
03-16-2006, 04:12 AM
I got negged for this.

The truth hurts ;)

M2
03-16-2006, 10:04 AM
Props to M2 for remembering one of the worst movies of all time.

The cheese literally drips off that movie.

Though I'm a big fan of "Kill or Be Killed." That and "Gymkata" pretty much delineate the fine line between clever and stupid in martial arts films.

CrackerJack
03-16-2006, 10:55 AM
3 pages on Matt Frickin' Kata.

I hate off-days. Even in spring training.

My thoughts exactly, can't believe I just spent 2 minutes of my life reading this thread. :)

registerthis
03-16-2006, 11:11 AM
My guess is that Krivsky wanted a utility infielder who was better with the glove than the guys on hand. My hope is that adding another utility guy to go with Aurilia is a sign that Freel will get the 2B job and the rest of the dreck hits the road.

We can only hope. I certainly hope this wasn't a move that sets up a trade of Freel and the cementing of Womack as the everyday 2B-man.

Heath
03-16-2006, 12:14 PM
I got negged for this.

shut your mouth boy, or you'll get more and like it!

;)

edit - I wasn't the one who negged Pedro....I voted for Pedro. :D

Doc. Scott
03-16-2006, 01:23 PM
From today's Post article:

---
The Arizona connection was one of the reasons the Reds took a flier on Kata. New director of baseball administration Bob Miller knows Kata well from his days in the Diamondbacks' front office, and Krivsky also had scouted Kata the last three years in his previous job with the Twins.
---

So it isn't that Minnesota was drafting Kata or Mike Gosling; it was that Brad Kullman's replacement was an Arizona guy. Forgot about that.

Red Leader
03-16-2006, 01:27 PM
From today's Post article:

---
The Arizona connection was one of the reasons the Reds took a flier on Kata. New director of baseball administration Bob Miller knows Kata well from his days in the Diamondbacks' front office, and Krivsky also had scouted Kata the last three years in his previous job with the Twins.
---

So it isn't that Minnesota was drafting Kata or Mike Gosling; it was that Brad Kullman's replacement was an Arizona guy. Forgot about that.

Maybe he can do us a favor and get Jennie Finch to the ballpark....

Chip R
03-16-2006, 01:56 PM
Maybe he can do us a favor and get Jennie Finch to the ballpark....

She could probably get more guys out than Milton.

KronoRed
03-16-2006, 02:08 PM
A batting practice machine probably could too.

BRM
03-16-2006, 02:50 PM
A batting practice machine probably could too.

At least the machine can bring heat.

CrackerJack
03-16-2006, 09:24 PM
...and the birth of the new RZ whipping boy begins ;)

pedro
03-17-2006, 08:13 PM
from BP.com

Claimed INF-B Matt Kata off of waivers from the Phillies; released RHP Allan Simpson. [3/15]

Exactly what the Reds need, another infield spare, and one who takes up 40-man roster space. I'm not sure what the goal is here; like Frank Menechino, Kata isn't a utility infielder who can really play short all that well for any length of time, and he hasn't demonstrated any pronounced ability with the bat outside of Arizona's air-conditioned bandbox. Admittedly, Menechino is having a bad camp, but if the club would do the sensible thing and make Ryan Freel the starter at second and Tony Womack a reserve infielder and pinch-runner, keeping in mind that they also already have Rich Aurilia on the bench, then they might have the space to carry a guy like Earl Snyder to use as a right-handed pinch-hitter and backup in the infield corners. Or they could even carry a third catcher (even if it would be Dane Sardinha) so that manager Jerry Narron might feel more comfortable pinch-hitting or pinch-running for that day's starting catcher without having to play whichever one of Jason LaRue or Javier Valentin isn't playing that day. Even a twelfth pitcher might be more useful than a third infield reserve, and I say that despite my feeling that the very concept of a twelfth pitcher is noxious. If you're asking yourself whether or not you need Matt Kata or Frank Menechino, I'd suggest that you're not asking the right question.

KronoRed
03-17-2006, 10:03 PM
...and the birth of the new RZ whipping boy begins ;)
Nah, only the junk that gets 500 at bats gets whipped ;)

StillFunkyB
03-18-2006, 09:14 AM
The Reds are collecting back-up infielders like most people collect shot glasses.

I long for the day that we have 4 page threads that talk about something other than this.

Gallen5862
03-29-2006, 01:22 PM
Kata was optioned to AAA today.

MattyHo4Life
03-29-2006, 01:47 PM
Hopefully he does good enough down there for a call-up.

KronoRed
03-29-2006, 03:20 PM
Exciting time for the Bat fans..lots of new names.

Doc. Scott
03-29-2006, 06:32 PM

How he had another option, I'll never know. He'd already spent parts of three seasons in the big leagues, and was surely on the 40-man roster before that.

Danny Serafini
03-29-2006, 07:42 PM
Looks like Kata spent most of 2004 on the DL and never got optioned down that year. Maybe that's how he's still got one.

http://kffl.com/player/8233/mlb