PDA

View Full Version : Springtime decisions

Kc61
03-15-2006, 01:48 PM
Who is the 13th position player to go north? Starting 8 is pretty set. Freel and Womack both make the team, so really 9 starting position players. Aurilia, Valentin and Hatteberg are locks. Leaves room for one position player.

Cruz? No, Hatteberg now has his role. Rhodes? Don't think he'll make it, not sure he is all around guy they may want. I say it will be McCracken edging out Wise.

Bullpen. I predict some surprises here.

White, Weathers, Hammond and Mercker are probably locks. Leaves only three spots. I say Belisle makes it because he can pitch long stints. I say Shackelford makes it (he should) because he has been successful since being called up, and team should reward success. And, I think Burns will make it because Houston generally produces better pitchers than the Reds.

If I'm right, this would put Coffey, Wagner, Simpson, Robbins, Standridge and the rest at AAA. If only some of them could start. . . .

Starters? I have no clue.

Views?

Cedric
03-15-2006, 01:50 PM
Every once in awhile I look at the Reds pitching staff options and I literally scream in agony. I have no idea who will make the back end of this dreadful staff.

Heath
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Well, cross Simpson off the list. And I don't mean Wayne.

Maybe we can rescue Gary Nolan from the blackjack table and see if he can soft-toss a few up there.

TRF
03-15-2006, 03:25 PM
I think it still ends up being Wise, though everyone seems to be forgetting Denrofia.

I hate that White, Weathers, Hammond and Mercker are locks. I hate that on a pen this proven to absolutely suck there isn't more of a competition. But hey, we don't worry about those guys. being veterans and all, their stats and performance don't matter. wait. aren't Milton and Wilson veterans? wasn't Weber? oh well...

captainmorgan07
03-15-2006, 03:29 PM
it's between wise and denrofia wise has been kiling the ball this spring gonna be a tough choice

Aronchis
03-15-2006, 03:30 PM
Denorfia on bubble bs. He has it made. Ditto for Coffey/Wagner. Burns is toast.

Kc61
03-15-2006, 03:33 PM
Guessing that Denorfia begins at AAA. That seems to be the rhetoric. He shouldn't be a bench warmer with the Reds just yet.

Aronchis
03-15-2006, 03:38 PM
Denorfia is the type of "bench warmer" the Reds need. Griffey,Pena and Kearns aren't the definition of health. He also is somebody that you should give plenty of bats to at the end of the game. Wise, like Burns in ST fluff.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 03:40 PM
Guessing that Denorfia begins at AAA. That seems to be the rhetoric. He shouldn't be a bench warmer with the Reds just yet.If Freel plays 2B it wouldn't be a stretch to get Denorfia 2-3 starts a week in the OF as well as work as a late inning defensive replacement.

Kc61
03-15-2006, 03:46 PM
I would keep Denorfia too. I think you build on success, and Denorfia was one of the few young Reds who had a great season last year.

I just think the Reds will send him down.

Chip R
03-15-2006, 04:03 PM
Take this with a large grain of salt but from what I've gleaned off the ST radio broadcasts is that they want Denorfia to play every day and he's not going to do that in the majors.

IslandRed
03-15-2006, 04:31 PM
Take this with a large grain of salt but from what I've gleaned off the ST radio broadcasts is that they want Denorfia to play every day and he's not going to do that in the majors.

I'm OK with Denorfia going to Louisville and playing every day, and it's a compliment to him, because I'm starting to think of him as more than a career backup. If he's going to be the fourth OF with the Reds and get real PT, then that would OK, I guess. If he's the guy at the end of the bench, I'd rather see him in Louisville.

A lot depends on how they intend to use Freel.

Heath
03-15-2006, 04:56 PM
I'm OK with Denorfia going to Louisville and playing every day, and it's a compliment to him, because I'm starting to think of him as more than a career backup. If he's going to be the fourth OF with the Reds and get real PT, then that would OK, I guess. If he's the guy at the end of the bench, I'd rather see him in Louisville.

A lot depends on how they intend to use Freel.

Judging by the history of the remaining OF's, its a safe assumption that Denorfia's going to get his time up here.

Someone called him a Mark Kotsay-clone. I'm still not sure if that's a complement.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 05:04 PM
I called him that, Kotsay has had a pretty good career ;)

Joseph
03-15-2006, 09:58 PM
I'd like to see Denorfia in as the backup to all three OF spots.

TeamSelig
03-15-2006, 10:36 PM
Coffey is a lock IMO. Belisle will make the team, and probably Shackelford.

Hard to tell who will get the last position player spot. Best available player would be Denorfia, but if they want him to get more ABs I could see him starting at AAA.

IslandRed
03-15-2006, 11:20 PM
I called him that, Kotsay has had a pretty good career ;)

Yeah, Kotsay's no All-Star, but he's been a regular for eight years and counting. A guy could do worse.

Kc61
03-20-2006, 01:50 PM
With WMP gone, have to assume room for two backup outfielders. Bench will be Freel, Valentin, Aurilia plus two. I still think McCracken makes it.

That leaves one last spot. Wise? Denorfia? I'll guess Cruz.

Big Klu
03-20-2006, 10:55 PM
My guess (just a hunch):

Starting Lineup
2B Ryan Freel
SS Felipe Lopez
CF Ken Griffey, Jr.
LF Adam Dunn
RF Austin Kearns
3B Edwin Encarnacion
1B Scott Hatteberg/Rich Aurilia (platoon)
C Jason LaRue
<pitcher>

Bench
C Javier Valentin
INF Rich Aurilia
2B Tony Womack
OF/1B Jacob Cruz
OF Chris Denorfia

Rotation
Aaron Harang RHP
Brandon Claussen LHP
Bronson Arroyo RHP
Eric Milton LHP
Dave Williams LHP

Bullpen
David Weathers RHP
Kent Mercker LHP
Chris Hammond LHP
Matt Belisle RHP
Todd Coffey RHP
Rick White RHP
Brian Shackelford LHP

Krusty
03-20-2006, 11:10 PM
I'd like to see Denorfia in as the backup to all three OF spots.

You don't want young players sitting on the bench. Denorfia is better off playing everyday at Louisville till one of the outfielders or Hatteberg is injured.

If I had to guess, either Wise or McCracken would win a reserve spot.

Kc61
03-20-2006, 11:19 PM
Big Klu, not a bad prediction. I agree Cruz will now make team. But I think McCracken makes it over Denorfia. And I think Burns will make it. Guessing Coffey starts at AAA.