PDA

View Full Version : Griffey to Nats?

Strikes Out Looking
03-15-2006, 03:10 PM
mlbtraderumor.com is reporting that the Reds and Nats are talking about a trade sending Jr. to the Nats for Soriano. Maybe today's claim of the Phil's utility infielder has something to do with it --Womack goes to the Nats as insurance for Vidro? (My guess and hope.)

I'd hate to see Jr. go, but this may not be a bad deal.

ochre
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
Griffey > Soriano. Probably even at 2B. Only reason to trade Griffey would be to free up salary. This wouldn't.

BEETTLEBUG
03-15-2006, 03:12 PM
mlbtraderumor.com is reporting that the Reds and Nats are talking about a trade sending Jr. to the Nats for Soriano. Maybe today's claim of the Phil's utility infielder has something to do with it --Womack goes to the Nats as insurance for Vidro? (My guess and hope.)

I'd hate to see Jr. go, but this may not be a bad deal.

No don't trade Griffey Jr.

pedro
03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
I can't see MLB taking on that type of financial responsibilty as long as they own the Nats and if the Reds are going to pay KGJ, they might as well keep him.

Red Leader
03-15-2006, 03:13 PM
Ahhh, JimBo trying to make a Griffey trade work, Part II.

It does clear Griffey's salary in the future by replacing it with a 1 yr Soriano contract that is close in terms of salary for this year. It would be nice to include Womack in the deal and get a nice prospect in return along with Soriano. Do you think that would make the Reds lineup too right handed?

Lopez
Soriano
Dunn
Kearns
WMP
EE

harangatang
03-15-2006, 03:14 PM
That's a possibilty because it doesn't make much since that the Reds would claim Matt Kata from the Phils. I would hope that the Reds would trade for some more pitching instead of wasting Jr. on Soriano.

IslandRed
03-15-2006, 03:15 PM
Griffey > Soriano. Probably even at 2B. Only reason to trade Griffey would be to free up salary. This wouldn't.

It would for '07 and '08.

But, while I'm not averse to trading Griffey, this isn't the type of deal I'd be looking for.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Griffey > Soriano. Probably even at 2B. Only reason to trade Griffey would be to free up salary. This wouldn't.it would free salary in the out years(2007-2008) of Jrs contract but I wouldn't do that trade. I can't stomach watching Soriano try to play 2nd. The amazing thing is he is among the worst 2bs in baseball and could probably be a very good OF(great speed, good arm) if he worked at it.

Also I can't imagine Jr would agree to the deal.

lollipopcurve
03-15-2006, 03:43 PM
This could be static surrounding Pena-Soriano talk, probably involving a third team (rumored to be the Mets).

flyer85
03-15-2006, 03:49 PM
This could be static surrounding Pena-Soriano talk, probably involving a third team (rumored to be the Mets).
I have it Womack/Pena to the Nats, Soriano to the Mets and the Reds get Heilman. :D

pedro
03-15-2006, 03:49 PM
it would free salary in the out years(2007-2008) of Jrs contract but I wouldn't do that trade. I can't stomach watching Soriano try to play 2nd. The amazing thing is he is among the worst 2bs in baseball and could probably be a very good OF(great speed, good arm) if he worked at it.

Also I can't imagine Jr would agree to the deal.

I think what Island Red is saying is that the Nats aren't likely to agree to pay a substantial portion of Griffey's contract.

pedro
03-15-2006, 03:50 PM
Flyer85, I doubt Griffey would OK it either.

beb30
03-15-2006, 04:10 PM
no way castellini would ok this trade, Griffey draws to much attendance at GABP....plus it just doesnt make any sense

registerthis
03-15-2006, 04:18 PM
Flyer85, I doubt Griffey would OK it either.

Nope, I believe if griffey approves anything at this point in his career it's going to be for a trade to a team with a legitimate shot at a championship--the Nats don't fit that bill.

And I have a level of interest between slim and none of replacing Junior with Soriano. No thanks.

registerthis
03-15-2006, 04:19 PM
no way castellini would ok this trade, Griffey draws to much attendance at GABP....plus it just doesnt make any sense

What do you base that statement on? There's a commonly-held belief that Griffey by himself brings multitudes of fans to the ballpark. That may have been true 5 years ago, i don't think it's true now. "Winning" will bring fans to the ballpark, "losing" will keep them away. The only time Junior is going to be a significant draw is when he starts knocking on the door of number 600.

MartyFan
03-15-2006, 04:23 PM
It makes sense in a couple of ways.

1) Junior is one of the hottest names and players in the league and the Nats simply don't have any celbrity fire power after failing to bring Sosa in...

2) Soriano could be packaged with another player from the Reds to another team to bring in pitching...

I do not look at this deal as a straight Juniro for Soriano thing and then that's the end. If it happens it is part one of a two or three part chain reaction...just my thought.

I would hate to see them trade Junior at this point...but after playing for TEAM USA when the other guys didn't show up...He would be an even bigger marketing piece in DC.

flyer85
03-15-2006, 04:26 PM
It makes sense in a couple of ways.It may but I can't see Jr agreeing to go to a non-contender.

MartyFan
03-15-2006, 04:32 PM
It may but I can't see Jr agreeing to go to a non-contender.

I agree...but Junior is close to Larkin and Bowden...remember how determined he was to be in Cincy? He has not always made the best or most obvious career choices.

Also, a possible motivation behind picking up the Phils 2B could be another deal with someone like the Marlins...pick up this guy to safeguard the deal or to include in a deal or to replace the moving parts.

Strikes Out Looking
03-15-2006, 04:58 PM
A couple of points. Within a few weeks, it is very likely that the Nats will have an owner (Bud can't come up with any more excuses as the deal on the stadium is done--wait it's Bud we are talking about, so let me rephrase)--it is about 50-50 the Nats will have a new owner, the new owner can take on Jrs. salary.

The Nats need outfielders, so it may not be just Griffey they are talking about. My guess (and I have nothing more than my intuition--I'm unfortunately not a baseball insider) is that some type of deal is going to go down involving a Reds OF before opening day and the Nats may be a player in the deal.

RANDY IN INDY
03-15-2006, 05:06 PM
Griffey will not want to hit in that ballpark.

KronoRed
03-15-2006, 05:08 PM
JR would say no way.

Oxilon
03-15-2006, 05:10 PM
The idea of Griffey patroling centerfield at RFK has to have the rest of the NL east drooling at the mouth. The gap there would be bigger than the one in Michael Strahan's mouth.

M2
03-15-2006, 05:11 PM
I figure the Dodgers and Braves will be the two chief suitors for Jr. Maybe the Astros would get into the mix too.

Folks are right that D.C. has little to offer him and even less to offer the Reds.

buckshotrod
03-15-2006, 05:24 PM
The idea of Soriano coming to the Reds just flat out makes me ill. He is a proven whiner. When this guy says he will not even go out and try a different position for the team..well he is just not a team player and would suck in the clubhouse. I could care less if he hits out 40 dingers..his downside far outweighs it.

RedLegSuperStar
03-15-2006, 05:30 PM
Do you think that would make the Reds lineup too right handed?

Lopez
Soriano
Dunn
Kearns
WMP
EE

Dunn is Lefthanded

RedLegSuperStar
03-15-2006, 05:31 PM
JR would say no way.

Agreed! Thank god for 10-5 rule!

Red Leader
03-15-2006, 05:33 PM
Dunn is Lefthanded

I know that. Lopez hits LH, too. I'm just saying after going L-R-L with Lopez, Soriano, and Dunn, it goes all RH after that....

VI_RedsFan
03-15-2006, 05:34 PM
Griffey would never accept a trade to DC. I think he has a list of the only 3 or 4 teams that he would accept a trade to, and Washington isn't on there.

I would HATE this trade is we would not be flipping Soriano for pitching. Even if we flip him for a couple young pitchers, the deal would still be hard to swallow. The idea of losing Junior makes me cringe.

Red Leader
03-15-2006, 05:44 PM
Let's play a game of hypothetical. Let's all pretend that Griffey wants to go to Washington (and I have no idea why he'd want to, but stay with me here) would you consider a Griffey / Womack / Votto for Soriano and Nick Johnson trade with no money going either way?

Puts N.Johnson at 1B, Soriano at 2B, and Dunn, WMP, and Kearns back in the OF

ochre
03-15-2006, 05:57 PM
Let's play a game of hypothetical. Let's all pretend that Griffey wants to go to Washington (and I have no idea why he'd want to, but stay with me here) would you consider a Griffey / Womack / Votto for Soriano and Nick Johnson trade with no money going either way?

Puts N.Johnson at 1B, Soriano at 2B, and Dunn, WMP, and Kearns back in the OF
Mostly only if one, or both, of those two could then be moved for pitching.

Nugget
03-15-2006, 06:29 PM
Is this the first "trade Griffey" of the season?

Mario-Rijo
03-15-2006, 06:53 PM
Let's not be short sighted fellas. Even though I don't believe this deal would ever happen because of what has already been stated by numerous posters that Griffey would not accept it. The key here would be that Jr would take his salary with him for '07 & '08 and there is no '07 & '08 money commited to Soriano, that my friends is roughly 13 Million extra for the next 2 seasons to go towards a true #1 pitcher.

Not only that but someone will likely sign Soriano in the offseason as a likely Plan A FA (after a monster season in this bandbox) that means we collect an additional 1st round pick. So for dealing Griffey and perhaps Womack for Alfonso Soriano you get a likely monster year from Alfonso (going into FA) , an extra 1st rd pick and an Ace pitcher. Heck with the kind of contract Soriano probably wants we may even get a solid defensive year out of him. So if the Reds want my blessing they have it all the way and then some.

But I will take this time to say this would be a great time to do a Milton & Womack/Aurilia deal for him, cause lord knows the Nats are having fits with their pitching this spring. And we still free up cap room for next year. And still get Soriano in the everyday lineup. Then if you want you can flip 'ole Soriano for A Red Sox starter and maybe Mark Loretta.

Have some vision people or at least give this new FO a little faith.

ochre
03-15-2006, 06:58 PM
Is this the first "trade Griffey" of the season?
Should I sticky it? :)

StillFunkyB
03-15-2006, 07:54 PM
I can't express in words, my feelings, if the Reds traded Griffey for Alphonso freakin Soriano.

dougdirt
03-15-2006, 08:29 PM
If the Reds trade Griffey for Soriano, I will sell my OD tickets

guttle11
03-15-2006, 09:01 PM
The only way you trade Griffey is if A) The other team takes ALL of his contract, or B.) The other team takes a huge chunk of his contract as is willing to part with a solid pitching prospect. Otherwise, he stays.

StillFunkyB
03-15-2006, 09:13 PM
The only way you trade Griffey is if A) The other team takes ALL of his contract, or B.) The other team takes a huge chunk of his contract as is willing to part with a solid pitching prospect. Otherwise, he stays.

I wouldn't want to see Griffey leave, at all.

However, if it makes the TEAM better, I will not be angry. Much like the Casey trade. I was sad to see Casey go, but the Reds needed to do it.

Griffey's contract is much, much less an issue with the new ownership now in place.

bottom_feeder
03-15-2006, 10:01 PM
I think it's a lot more likely that the Reds trade Pena, Kearns or even Dunn to the Nats. Freel moves to the vacated OF slot, and thus the need to pick up that utility guy from the Phillies.

Bowden is much more likely to have a lust for Pena, Kearns, and Dunn.

Of course, one year of Sorianno for one of our young OF makes no sense for the Reds, so there'd have to be a third team involved, or perhaps prospects coming to Cincy.

KoryMac5
03-15-2006, 10:12 PM
Wayne K's biggest priority is improving the pitching. No way he trades Griffey who's value due to the WBC and last years strong showing is at a high point. He would really have to get blown away by a strong offer of pitching prospects. Soriano, no thanks.

TeamSelig
03-15-2006, 10:44 PM
Griffey, Dave Williams, and decent prospect for Soriano, John Patterson

Then you can A) Trade Soriano for more pitching and play Denorfia in Center or B) Keep Soriano til AS break and play Freel in CF.

harangatang
03-15-2006, 11:08 PM
I think it's a lot more likely that the Reds trade Pena, Kearns or even Dunn to the Nats. Freel moves to the vacated OF slot, and thus the need to pick up that utility guy from the Phillies.

You could also put Denorfia in that vacated OF spot if the Reds are intent on Freel's position as a supersub.

Jr's Boy
03-15-2006, 11:21 PM
But I will take this time to say this would be a great time to do a Milton & Womack/Aurilia deal for him, cause lord knows the Nats are having fits with their pitching this spring.QUOTE]

But isn't that like the pot calling the kettle black?

paulrichjr
03-15-2006, 11:47 PM
This rumor came from a Spanish paper somewhere. I believe it even less than most of the Gammons rumors. (Funny that I don't believe half what he writes but I enjoy reading his column.)

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

jnwohio
03-15-2006, 11:48 PM
You could also put Denorfia in that vacated OF spot if the Reds are intent on Freel's position as a supersub.

With the way the contenders for last roster spot are playing, the waiver claim on the Phillies guy, and the way Freel has played so far this spring, who's to say Freel even makes this team? The new broom is sweeping clean in the pitching area, it might start sweeping in some other areas too. (Although my best guess is they are scheming a trade or two that might open roster positions to be filled by some of "last spot" guys)

pedro
03-15-2006, 11:50 PM
With the way the contenders for last roster spot are playing, the waiver claim on the Phillies guy, and the way Freel has played so far this spring, who's to say Freel even makes this team? The new broom is sweeping clean in the pitching area, it might start sweeping in some other areas too. (Although my best guess is they are scheming a trade or two that might open roster positions to be filled by some of "last spot" guys)

There is no way Freel gets cut. He actually has some value, unlike some of the other guys who play second for the Reds.

Nugget
03-16-2006, 12:20 AM
Fantasy value?

I don't think you'd get a cut but remember neither the ownership nor the general manager have said that no-one is indispensable. They have indicated certain people are important to the future of the ball club but I'm sure if the Padres offerred Peavy for Dunn the REDS would look at it.

Hondo
03-16-2006, 04:07 AM
Griffey isn't going anywhere. They're interviewing Ken Sr. for a Coaching Job aren't they??? Anybody hear how that turned out? It is probably Milton for Soriano and others. No Griffey, No Pena, and No Kearns!!!

JaredRoberts.com

RANDY IN INDY
03-16-2006, 06:52 AM
That's old news. They hired Billy Hatcher for that coaching vacancy.

OnBaseMachine
03-16-2006, 07:10 AM
Griffey for Soriano, Ryan Church, and Jon Rauch. I'd do it.

I prefer Vidro. Vidro, Clint Everts and/or Kory Casto for Griffey.

TeamCasey
03-16-2006, 07:28 AM
Griffey's contract is much, much less an issue with the new ownership now in place.

Why?