guttle11
03-16-2006, 10:32 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

:ughmamoru :ughmamoru :ughmamoru :ughmamoru

:bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl: :bowrofl:

RFS62
03-16-2006, 10:35 PM
I feel bad for Buck Martinez.

He was in a no-win situation, and he'll take a lot of blame for pitching decisions and lack of offense.

TeamBoone
03-16-2006, 10:40 PM
Rats! Do some of you really think it's funny?

Oh well, Griffey will back in ST now.

oneupper
03-16-2006, 10:40 PM
After the umpiring gaffes and the indifference of players, fans and the selfishness of certain owners, this is the best result for the future of the classic.

Hopefully TEAM USA will put a better team together in 2009 and make a real effort to gain the title.

I'm sorry my favorite teams are out (Venezuela, USA, Australia and Puerto Rico...all places I've lived). But I really have enjoyed this. It's baseball. It's good baseball. It's fun.

I got to see a couple of games in Orlando this time. I plan to go in 2009 (whereever it may be).

TeamBoone
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
After the umpiring gaffes and the indifference of players, fans and the selfishness of certain owners, this is the best result for the future of the classic.

What players were indifferent? And why is it the fans' fault?

Phhhl
03-16-2006, 10:42 PM
Why would any American enjoy our country being knocked out of this tournament? Maybe more players will take this seriously next time around. I am proud of the way Junior played.

guttle11
03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
Why would any American enjoy our country being knocked out of this tournament? Maybe more players will take this seriously next time around. I am proud of the way Junior played.

You answered your own question. Our guys lolligagged around expect to walk over the other teams. I find it funny how most people, mostly non-baseball fans just think we are the best at everything. This and the Olympic Basketball thing just make me laugh.

When they show me they care about winning, and not looking good, I'll root.

KoryMac5
03-16-2006, 10:46 PM
I personally like the idea of the tournament and I feel with a few changes it can be something all Americans look forward to. But to take joy in the fact that we lost lacks class. Griffey and Jeter and Clemens took this tournament very seriously especially Griffey who never played in the olympics.

oneupper
03-16-2006, 10:47 PM
What players were indifferent? And why is it the fans' fault?

Take your pick from Bonds on down, those who chose to sit it out for one (lame) reason or another. (Team USA wasn't alone in this BTW). Not that I'm unhappy Bonds wasn't there.

As for the fans...when a Korea Japan game draws better than a USA Japan game in CALIFORNIA, maybe the support was a bit lacking.

But Hey, first time...these things take time to get used to. I'm guessing there will be a HUGE buzz in 2009.

KoryMac5
03-16-2006, 10:52 PM
You answered your own question. Our guys lolligagged around expect to walk over the other teams. I find it funny how most people, mostly non-baseball fans just think we are the best at everything. This and the Olympic Basketball thing just make me laugh.

When they show me they care about winning, and not looking good, I'll root.

It sounds to me my friend that you along with many others have been jaded over the years due to some overpriced overpaid whiners. Personally I don't think thats what team USA was made up of in the WBC. Griffey, Jeter, Clemens all played with alot of hustle and heart. I personally am even prouder to be a Reds fan because of Griffey's showing.

Nugget
03-16-2006, 10:56 PM
The bad thing for the REDS is that the guy who really needs to be with the REDS for some playing time, WMP isn't on his way back. Do you think Junior may have something extra in his kit bag when he returns to Sarasota - like the Rockets signature on a major league contract (or maybe even Rocket himself):)

BigRed
03-16-2006, 10:56 PM
I'm sorry, but I do not think it is funny that our country lost. I think that the players that played for this country did their best. The other countries did seem more motivated and the US had a target on their back, being the one with the big names that everyone wanted to beat. Can anyone explain the tie breaker to me? It makes no sense to me that Japan moves on when the US beat them head to head.

StillFunkyB
03-16-2006, 11:01 PM
I think the fan intrest in the WBC was better than what I thought it was going to be.

I enjoyed watching. Sure, some changes need to be made. Overall it's been a success IMHO.

oneupper
03-16-2006, 11:03 PM
From the WBC website:

TIE-BREAKING PROCEDURES
Teams will be ranked by winning percentage in Round 1, with the top two teams in each pool advancing to Round 2. Teams will be ranked by winning percentage in Round 2, without regard to the results of Round 1, with the top team in each pool advancing to the Semifinal round. In both rounds, ties shall be broken in the following order of priority:

The winner of head-to-head games between the tied teams;
The team allowing the fewest runs per nine innings (RA/9) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;
The team allowing the fewest earned runs per nine innings (ERA) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;
The team with the highest highest batting average (AVG) in head-to-head games between the tied teams;
Drawing of lots, conducted by WBCI.
Note: Standings and Tie-Breaking Procedures are based on International Baseball Federation rules.

reds44
03-16-2006, 11:04 PM
darn

oh well

Caseyfan21
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
Yeah, you can say all you want about the USA lollygagging and not hustling and people will certainly say it, but I'm not buying it. I watched at least part of every game and I absolutely believe the guys that had USA on their chest were playing as hard as they possibly could. One play today in particular caught my attention. It was in the middle innings and Jeter was up with a runner on third and two out. He hit a normal ground ball to second but absolutely sprinted down the line and was out by only a half step or so. I was proud to be rooting for the USA throughout this whole tournament.

For anyone who finds it hilarious the USA lost...why? Would you find it funny if the Reds lost as well? I don't think so. The discussion should centered on those players that represented the USA, not the players that chose not to take the tournament seriously. Be proud of what those guys did and be ready to support the USA in 2009.

Nugget
03-16-2006, 11:05 PM
The tie breaker is based on runs allowed against the tie breaker teams. As the US had not won by much against Japan and had a huge loss against Korea, if Japan beat Korea they may have been able to achieve a better run against quotient. Same reason Canada didn't make it through even though it beat the US head to head.

Falls City Beer
03-16-2006, 11:07 PM
Who cares if some people think it's funny? I don't think it's particularly funny, but why do you have to question people who do?

Caseyfan21
03-16-2006, 11:11 PM
Who cares if some people think it's funny? I don't think it's particularly funny, but why do you have to question people who do?

I'm just honestly curious why people would find it funny that the USA lost. :confused: If anything I would feel embarrassed about the performance. Maybe that was a little confrontational and if so, I apologize. When I wrote that I did not intend it to be a confrontation towards anyone, it was just an honest question because I certainly would never find it funny if a team that represented me lost.

guttle11
03-16-2006, 11:12 PM
Yeah, you can say all you want about the USA lollygagging and not hustling and people will certainly say it, but I'm not buying it. I watched at least part of every game and I absolutely believe the guys that had USA on their chest were playing as hard as they possibly could. One play today in particular caught my attention. It was in the middle innings and Jeter was up with a runner on third and two out. He hit a normal ground ball to second but absolutely sprinted down the line and was out by only a half step or so. I was proud to be rooting for the USA throughout this whole tournament.

For anyone who finds it hilarious the USA lost...why? Would you find it funny if the Reds lost as well? I don't think so. The discussion should centered on those players that represented the USA, not the players that chose not to take the tournament seriously. Be proud of what those guys did and be ready to support the USA in 2009.

I rooted for "us" the entire time. I'm not laughing at the loss, I'm laughing at the "disappointment." We did not have the best team. As a team, they didn't put forth their best effort. They were going through the motions. This isn't a matter of "national pride," it's a matter of a team that didn't deserve to win.

remdog
03-16-2006, 11:23 PM
Personally, I don't find it funny that Team USA bit the dust. OTOH, I'm not particularlly upset about it either.

My main focus is on THE CINCINNATI REDS and the sooner we get JR and WMP back in camp the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Rem

TeamBoone
03-17-2006, 12:45 AM
I rooted for "us" the entire time. I'm not laughing at the loss, I'm laughing at the "disappointment." We did not have the best team. As a team, they didn't put forth their best effort. They were going through the motions. This isn't a matter of "national pride," it's a matter of a team that didn't deserve to win.

Why do you feel they didn't put forth their best effort? Because they lost? I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they did their best to win.

In the first two games, however, I don't feel the manager did a whole lot to help them as he appeared to think it was an All Star game rather than a real competition. At some point after that, I believe he changed his tune.

These guys played with their hearts. They were there because they wanted to be; because they wanted to represent the USA. Others wanted to be and were actually selected but decided it was in their best interests to go to camp and work on things that needed to be worked on.

To say the US didn't take this seriously is just crazy, IMHO.

Big Klu
03-17-2006, 02:19 AM
It disturbs me when people say that they are glad that the US team lost. They are our team, and we should support them. (I see the same thing where I work. I am a teacher, and there are a certain group of students who actively root against our school, and celebrate if our football team or basketball team loses. I can't comprehend it.)

I don't understand why people say, "They aren't my team. The [insert MLB team here] is my team." Why isn't Team USA your team in an international competition?

I have also seen people actively rooting against the USA, and for some foreign team because their favorite player from their major-league team is playing for the other team. A lot of Cardinals fans are doing this, because Albert Pujols is playing for the Dominican Republic. I've heard them say, "I'm rooting for whoever Albert is playing for." Well, Albert is actually an American citizen--why isn't he playing for the USA?

Fans in the U.S. have no problem in rooting for their city's team, even at the expense of their favorite player. Case in point: if, hypothetically speaking, Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, or Wily Mo Peña were traded, or left as a free agent, I wouldn't be happy, but I would still be a Reds fan. Sean Casey is now in Pittsburgh, but I am still a Reds fan. Pete Rose was my favorite player when I was a little kid. When he left for Philadelphia, I was heartbroken. But I never gave up on the Reds, because they came first. Why can't we be the same way with Team USA, rooting for them even if our favorite player might be foreign?

I've also heard some people say they wouldn't root for Team USA because there were too many New York Yankees on it. My question is, which Yankee didn't deserve to be on the team? Jeter, ARod, and Damon are all very deserving players, and I gained new respect for all three. Johnny Damon was very classy about the decision to play Ken Griffey Jr in CF. Alex Rodriguez gave a great response when asked why he chose to play for Team USA: "I am proud of my Dominican heritage, but I am an American first." (Unlike Albert.) And I discovered that when you watch him play every day, it is extremely difficult not to like Derek Jeter! He is such a complete ballplayer!

I'm not a soccer fan, but maybe we should look into how fans in European countries (not the "hooligans", but real fans) are able to separate their rooting interests between their league team and their national team. For example, how do Londoners who root for Arsenal (one of the top clubs in the English Premier League) reconcile the fact that their best player, Thierry Henry, plays for France during World Cup play? I don't know, but somehow they do. Henry is immensely popular during league play. But once international play starts, there is no doubt that they are rooting for England, even if Henry is playing for someone else, and some of the English players play for archrival Manchester United during the regular season!

Overall I think the tournament has been a great success. Fans from all the other countries have really gotten into it--only US fans have been cool to it. Why? Fans for every other national team in the tournament have been enthusiastic. But many American fans like to consider themselves above such mundane emotions as patriotism or nationalism. It's like American fans have decided that they are "above" this tourney, so it is "only" an exhibition, and all of these fans from other countries are "wrong" or "misinformed" because they don't realize that the World Baseball Classic just isn't that important. They just don't get it. Well, maybe we "just don't get it". (Tell soccer fans that the World Cup is "just an exhibition". The fans of other countries are treating this like baseball's version of the World Cup.) I have enjoyed the WBC a great deal, and I am looking forward to the next time it is played. I hope that more of America's top talent will want to play in it the next time. Junior, Jeter, ARod, Chipper, and Clemens have led the way, but we need more! And I hope the we, the American fans, will show more of an interest next time!

:usa:

redsmetz
03-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Do you think Junior may have something extra in his kit bag when he returns to Sarasota - like the Rockets signature on a major league contract (or maybe even Rocket himself):)

That would be a nice little coup - we can dream, can't we? :beerme:

cumberlandreds
03-17-2006, 07:45 AM
Personally I couldn't get all that excited for the WBC mainly because of the stupid rules thay had in place. Pitch limits, I can understand them but in a real baseball game, with so much suposedly on the line, you should not have them. Move the tournament to November and you don't have to worry about a pitcher getting into shape or overextending himself . The tie breakers were some the most moronic things I have ever heard of. Play a double elimination tournament with everyone in groups of four. The winner of the four groups meet in a semi-final and final. Easy enough. This isn't even mentioning ties after 14 innings. Thank goodness that didn't happen or it would have been a real farce. I think this concept of a WBC has a good chance of succeeding but I think those changes I have mentioned above really need to occur.

RedFanAlways1966
03-17-2006, 07:49 AM
Personally, I don't find it funny that Team USA bit the dust. OTOH, I'm not particularlly upset about it either.

My main focus is on THE CINCINNATI REDS and the sooner we get JR and WMP back in camp the better, as far as I'm concerned.

Exactly how I feel. :thumbup:

StillFunkyB
03-17-2006, 09:15 AM
It disturbs me when people say that they are glad that the US team lost. They are our team, and we should support them. (I see the same thing where I work. I am a teacher, and there are a certain group of students who actively root against our school, and celebrate if our football team or basketball team loses. I can't comprehend it.)

I don't understand why people say, "They aren't my team. The [insert MLB team here] is my team." Why isn't Team USA your team in an international competition?

I have also seen people actively rooting against the USA, and for some foreign team because their favorite player from their major-league team is playing for the other team. A lot of Cardinals fans are doing this, because Albert Pujols is playing for the Dominican Republic. I've heard them say, "I'm rooting for whoever Albert is playing for." Well, Albert is actually an American citizen--why isn't he playing for the USA?

Fans in the U.S. have no problem in rooting for their city's team, even at the expense of their favorite player. Case in point: if, hypothetically speaking, Ken Griffey Jr., Adam Dunn, or Wily Mo Peņa were traded, or left as a free agent, I wouldn't be happy, but I would still be a Reds fan. Sean Casey is now in Pittsburgh, but I am still a Reds fan. Pete Rose was my favorite player when I was a little kid. When he left for Philadelphia, I was heartbroken. But I never gave up on the Reds, because they came first. Why can't we be the same way with Team USA, rooting for them even if our favorite player might be foreign?

I've also heard some people say they wouldn't root for Team USA because there were too many New York Yankees on it. My question is, which Yankee didn't deserve to be on the team? Jeter, ARod, and Damon are all very deserving players, and I gained new respect for all three. Johnny Damon was very classy about the decision to play Ken Griffey Jr in CF. Alex Rodriguez gave a great response when asked why he chose to play for Team USA: "I am proud of my Dominican heritage, but I am an American first." (Unlike Albert.) And I discovered that when you watch him play every day, it is extremely difficult not to like Derek Jeter! He is such a complete ballplayer!

I'm not a soccer fan, but maybe we should look into how fans in European countries (not the "hooligans", but real fans) are able to separate their rooting interests between their league team and their national team. For example, how do Londoners who root for Arsenal (one of the top clubs in the English Premier League) reconcile the fact that their best player, Thierry Henry, plays for France during World Cup play? I don't know, but somehow they do. Henry is immensely popular during league play. But once international play starts, there is no doubt that they are rooting for England, even if Henry is playing for someone else, and some of the English players play for archrival Manchester United during the regular season!

Overall I think the tournament has been a great success. Fans from all the other countries have really gotten into it--only US fans have been cool to it. Why? Fans for every other national team in the tournament have been enthusiastic. But many American fans like to consider themselves above such mundane emotions as patriotism or nationalism. It's like American fans have decided that they are "above" this tourney, so it is "only" an exhibition, and all of these fans from other countries are "wrong" or "misinformed" because they don't realize that the World Baseball Classic just isn't that important. They just don't get it. Well, maybe we "just don't get it". (Tell soccer fans that the World Cup is "just an exhibition". The fans of other countries are treating this like baseball's version of the World Cup.) I have enjoyed the WBC a great deal, and I am looking forward to the next time it is played. I hope that more of America's top talent will want to play in it the next time. Junior, Jeter, ARod, Chipper, and Clemens have led the way, but we need more! And I hope the we, the American fans, will show more of an interest next time!

:usa:

Great post Klu!

Red Leader
03-17-2006, 09:20 AM

Rem

Not trying to single you out, rem, because I, like RFA66, totally agree with you. I think most people do, and that says to me that people aren't interested in this tournament, they are interested in MLB, and because they are interested in MLB, they had mild interest in this tournament only to see if the players that are on the team you root for were successful, and / or didn't get hurt.

I think the difference in other countries is that the fans really, deeply cared about how their teams played, not individuals, and possibly as an extension, the coaching staffs felt the same way. I mean, Buck Martinez had to be sweating bullets that no one got seriously hurt. He'd feel terrible if he ruined someone's MLB season, at the player level, or a team level. That's not a way to have to coach. I know other nation's coaches probably felt that, too, since they have MLB players on their teams, but I don't think the pressure was felt by anyone more than Buck Martinez.

If this thing is going to ever be successful and get off the ground, some changes have to take place. I think Chipper nailed a lot of changes that should be made.

IowaRed
03-17-2006, 09:25 AM

Rem

I agree for the most part, I just don't care enough about the WBC to attach any positive or negative emotion to their loss. I'm just happy Jr. is healthy and ready for the real games to begin.

registerthis
03-17-2006, 09:37 AM
I smiled when Bode Miller kept missing gates and losing races in the Olympics, because he was smug, arrogant, and publicly stated he didn't care.

I didn't get the same vibe from the Team USA players. Say what you will about the players who decided NOT to play, or poor managerial decisions and whatnot--I never once got the impression that they were "going through the motions" or were expecting other teams to roll over and die for them. It's obvious that Team USA wasn't the best possible team we could have put on the field, and it's also obvious that the rest of the world has caught up to us in terms of baseball talent. For the latter, MLB should be rejoicing. For the former, the Team USA players who decided not to participate this time around will hopefully reconsider in 2009.

cReds1
03-17-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm sorry, but I do not think it is funny that our country lost. I think that the players that played for this country did their best. The other countries did seem more motivated and the US had a target on their back, being the one with the big names that everyone wanted to beat. Can anyone explain the tie breaker to me? It makes no sense to me that Japan moves on when the US beat them head to head.

They should have never beat Japan because of the bad call on the tag up. That was totally the wrong call. I don't think it is funny, but ashamed that our past time is getting showed up by the likes of Korea, Mexico and Japan.

I don't know if it were the right mix of players or what, but I think playing it during this time was the right time. Someone said in November and after playing a full regular season, i seriously doubt players would like to continue to play more when they need the time off.

I don't get the analogy in worrying about if Junior would get injured or not. He would be playing more in ST then they were playing now. It seems like most people think Junior is fragile and hey, i am the same way, but he should be pretty healthy this year and by looking at him batting he surely does. I hope this continues onto the season.

buckeyenut
03-17-2006, 11:54 AM
The thing people don't understand as part of this is that the best baseball team can beat the worst baseball team on any day. I could not believe the uproar when we lost vs Canada. That happens in baseball. That is part of what makes it fun. It isn't like college football where the best team wins 80% of the time.

TheBurn
03-17-2006, 12:11 PM
...These guys played with their hearts. They were there because they wanted to be; because they wanted to represent the USA. Others wanted to be and were actually selected but decided it was in their best interests to go to camp and work on things that needed to be worked on. To say the US didn't take this seriously is just crazy, IMHO.Couldn't agree more... :thumbup:
Now maybe, just maybe, they did underestimate their opposition... :dunno:

vaticanplum
03-17-2006, 12:32 PM
Why do you feel they didn't put forth their best effort? Because they lost? I have absolutely no doubt in my mind that they did their best to win.

In the first two games, however, I don't feel the manager did a whole lot to help them as he appeared to think it was an All Star game rather than a real competition. At some point after that, I believe he changed his tune.

These guys played with their hearts. They were there because they wanted to be; because they wanted to represent the USA. Others wanted to be and were actually selected but decided it was in their best interests to go to camp and work on things that needed to be worked on.

To say the US didn't take this seriously is just crazy, IMHO.

I completely agree (and with Klu too). I've heard a lot of this, and I honestly have no idea where it's coming from. I think people had a mistaken impression that the USA was going to walk away from this because baseball is, yes, bigger here than in many other places -- without taking into account that baseball is still HUGE in many other places and the quality of the teams (many of whom had some of MLB's biggest stars) is very high. I do NOT think the USA players themselves were under this impression. They knew they had to play hard, and they did. They lost. Good baseball teams lose all the time. That's pretty much the end of it -- I don't think motivation is in question. And frankly I think it's pretty arrogant for some of the American "fans" to assume that a) the USA was a lock to win, b) because they didn't, they choked, and c) this whole thing is a sideshow.

This is a great idea for baseball. Think of the random poor guy in Italy who had the misfortune to fall in love with baseball instead of soccer and probably only gets to even see professional games four times a year at 3 in the morning -- and now all of a sudden he has a chance to see and play beside some of the greatest players in the world. Who don't all happen to be playing for the US>

TeamBoone
03-17-2006, 03:04 PM
Personally I couldn't get all that excited for the WBC mainly because of the stupid rules thay had in place. Pitch limits, I can understand them but in a real baseball game, with so much suposedly on the line, you should not have them. Move the tournament to November and you don't have to worry about a pitcher getting into shape or overextending himself . The tie breakers were some the most moronic things I have ever heard of. Play a double elimination tournament with everyone in groups of four. The winner of the four groups meet in a semi-final and final. Easy enough. This isn't even mentioning ties after 14 innings. Thank goodness that didn't happen or it would have been a real farce. I think this concept of a WBC has a good chance of succeeding but I think those changes I have mentioned above really need to occur.

Pitch limits were put into place for a reason; that reason being that most of the pitchers are not ready to go all out at this point (the equivalent of ST).

They already know the tie-breaker rules need to be modified. They talked about it with Bud Selig during last nights game.

My personal hope is that they'll do a better job in the future of promoting the event; there are still a lot of people who don't even know it's going on. In addition, I don't care for teams losing based on one game; I too would like to see series of three games in each "pool". Baseball isn't a one game sport and was never meant to be.

That said, this was the first time ever for this type of tournament; they had to start somewhere. Just like a new computer program, there will be plenty of debugging prior to the next one.

Once it's tweaked and perhaps the timing improved (if possible), the resulting product should be better next time.... and even better the time after that.

No matter what they do to improve it though, it will never please everyone.

Matt700wlw
03-17-2006, 03:49 PM
Oh well..

Tommyjohn25
03-17-2006, 06:40 PM
I was so angry when USA lost last night, I nearly went into my kitchen and smashed some plates. Just kidding, that's from a movie (points for whoever guesses which one.) In all seriousness though, I thought they played hard, and I rooted pretty hard for them. Junior looked great, and it was a lot more fun to watch than I thought it would be. I was dissapointed when they lost, but I felt that they truly did give it their best shot.

alex trevino
03-17-2006, 09:15 PM
OK I will admit it... I was indifferent about the WBC and after watching a couple of games I still am.

Shaggy Sanchez
03-17-2006, 11:40 PM
For anyone who finds it hilarious the USA lost...why? Would you find it funny if the Reds lost as well? I don't think so.

I wouldn't say that I found it hilarious but I did laugh and yes over the last few years I have laughed when the Reds have lost. I laughed at the people who were suprised that the USA could actually be knocked out of this tournament and didn't breeze right through it. I laughed at the fact that the USA team got knocked out with a roster full of MLB players while other teams that have little to no MLB players are still playing (which goes to show there was either more passion or harder play by those other teams because we had superior talent). I laughed because well you look at it and think did we really get knocked out of this thing we are the USA, home of MLB the country that invented the game.

I have laughed when the Reds have lost and I don't see how others can say they haven't either over the last few years with some of the stuff we have seen as Reds fans. When Graves came in and gave up a HR that I just knew he was going to give up I had to just laugh. Eric Milton giving up HR after HR just made me laugh after a while. Turning the game on and seeing some of the lineups that Boone, Miley, and even Narron have sent out there made me laugh.

Sometimes you see so many things that make you upset you just have to start laughing because you knew it was coming. I think the USA getting knocked out is one of those things.

TeamBoone
03-18-2006, 12:49 AM
I have never ever even come close to laughing when the Reds lose. That almost sounds psychotic to me when it's the team you love.

I've come really close to crying though.

Hoosier Red
03-18-2006, 07:57 AM
Shaggy,

I'm just curious about how this proves a "lack of passion" on the parts of the Americans.

They went 3-3, it's a small sample size taken at a time when the American's were not in a situation to be playing at their best.

The Yankees had a losing record against the Devil Rays last year does that prove a "lack of passion" or is it just that in those 17 games the Devil Rays played better.

I wasn't shocked the US lost, once we got out of the original pool every team had a certain level of competence that it wouldn't surprise me to see the US lose all three games. That's how it is in baseball, the best team doesn't always win. But over the course of a 162 game season, I'd be willing to guess there wouldn't have been a team within 10 games of Team USA.

Hats off to the teams that won, they played great.

StillFunkyB
03-18-2006, 08:20 AM
They brought up a good point during that game against Mexico. These hitters are much different after they have had 4-500 AB's.

Like what Chipper "Don't call me Larry" Jones said. Move this tournament to November and I think the USA has a much different outcome.

Cuba is in the middle of their season. Those guys were much more prepared for this.

I'm not trying to make excuses, but I really think that had this happened after the season we wouldn't be in the same boat.

WMR
03-19-2006, 01:23 PM
How could you *not* laugh at some of the crap we've seen out of the Reds the past few years???

When it gets to a certain point, getting upset is just counter-productive...

TeamBoone
03-19-2006, 03:06 PM
Doesn't mean I laugh about it.

guttle11
03-19-2006, 08:05 PM
Doesn't mean I laugh about it.

It's not laughing in a "Ha ha ha, look at those losers" way. It's laughing in a "My goodness, am I seeing this" way.

WMR
03-20-2006, 12:29 PM
It's not laughing in a "Ha ha ha, look at those losers" way. It's laughing in a "My goodness, am I seeing this" way.

Exactly. For instance, seeing Dunn batting sixth or seventh... what can you do but laugh in a very exasperated fashion???

Or seeing a pitcher with an identified torn labrum given a multi-year contract?

Or Eric Milton

Or Danny Graves' melt-down versus the Cards

the list of gaffe after gaffe seems endless...

so much stupidity in so many different ways...

SERENITY NOW!!!

http://www.kennykramer.com/ldcape.jpg