PDA

View Full Version : Kc Royals Are Serious

Hoosier Red
03-17-2006, 07:07 PM
http://www.kansascity.com/mld/kansascity/sports/14118139.htm

I didn't actually know this.
Well, if swearing equates to professionalism, thatís very true. And in baseball, as most of you probably know, swearing does equate to professionalism.

savafan
03-17-2006, 07:22 PM
I expect the Royals to be the surprise team in baseball this year. Of course, they have the Blessed Son of the Baseball Gods, Reggie Sanders, or as he is known in the Native American circles I travel in, He Who Leads To Postseason.

Big Klu
03-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Lee Elia may be the most professional man who ever lived.

KronoRed
03-17-2006, 10:02 PM
I expect the Royals to be the surprise team in baseball this year. Of course, they have the Blessed Son of the Baseball Gods, Reggie Sanders, or as he is known in the Native American circles I travel in, He Who Leads To Postseason.
They can win it all if they trade for Womack

savafan
03-17-2006, 10:31 PM
They can win it all if they trade for Womack

Trade? I think that Bob Castellini should give Womack to the Royals in honor of manager Buddy Bell being a former Red. It's the power of tradition you know.

Cedric
03-18-2006, 11:41 AM
Krono- Man crush on Tony Womack?

traderumor
03-18-2006, 12:21 PM
I give the writer credit for not falling head over heels for just another version of "doing things the right bleeping way." The Cincy writers eat and write that stuff up faster than you can process a White Castle.

Hoosier Red
03-18-2006, 12:53 PM
I don't know, "taking it seriously" seems to be the curse word cousin of "playing the game the right way."

KronoRed
03-18-2006, 02:42 PM
Krono- Man crush on Tony Womack?
I'd say it's the complete opposite ;)

Newport Red
03-18-2006, 08:34 PM
I'd say it's the complete opposite ;)

Then how do you explain the pictures?;)

KronoRed
03-18-2006, 11:03 PM
Then how do you explain the pictures?;)
.....I needed the money :help:

savafan
03-19-2006, 12:16 AM
.....I needed the money :help:

Where have I heard that before? Oh yes, Kaz Tadano. :p:

OldRightHander
03-19-2006, 11:54 PM
I don't know, "taking it seriously" seems to be the curse word cousin of "playing the game the right way."

Along with "doing the little things."

KearnsyEars
03-20-2006, 11:43 AM
they're going to be just terrible. Suprise team in baseball is going to be Detroit, and ourselves....the REDLEGS

savafan
03-21-2006, 03:25 AM
they're going to be just terrible. Suprise team in baseball is going to be Detroit, and ourselves....the REDLEGS

You must not have sensed my sarcasm. Every team Reggie Sanders goes to turns to gold. ;)

Yachtzee
03-21-2006, 11:28 AM
Buddy Bell: "You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you?"

Gainesville Red
03-21-2006, 12:54 PM
I can't believe that with everything that's gone on over the last couple days the lowley Kansas City Royals thread stayed near the top.:thumbup:

WebScorpion
03-23-2006, 12:23 PM
Buddy Bell: "You guys. You lollygag the ball around the infield. You lollygag your way down to first. You lollygag in and out of the dugout. You know what that makes you?"

Uh, ... Mike Bell?

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 02:14 PM
Uh, ... Mike Bell?
Lollygaggers :devil:

Chip R
04-17-2006, 10:17 AM
I guess the Royals need to be more bleepin' serious.

KronoRed
04-17-2006, 04:01 PM
And they need more passion

savafan
04-22-2006, 02:56 AM
It's sad. They have a beautiful stadium, and they once had a team of Bret Saberhagen, Mark Gubicza, Kevin Seitzer, George Brett, Jeff Montgomery, Bo Jackson, Tom Gordon, Danny Tartabull, Kurt Stillwell, Wille Wilson and Frank White.

For you kids who are too young to remember, that Royals team was pretty good.

Something needs to change in Kansas City, and it has nothing to do with the market size.

dsmith421
04-22-2006, 03:37 AM
They were the Model Franchise in all of MLB from 1977-1985.

It's really too bad. Great baseball town.

WMR
04-22-2006, 05:09 AM
Poor Royals Fans.

What's up with their ownership?
Clueless?
Penny-pinching?
Both?

GAC
04-22-2006, 05:54 AM
They were the Model Franchise in all of MLB from 1977-1985.

It's really too bad. Great baseball town.

Teams like the Royals, and many others, became victims of the rapid change in baseball economics in the 90's.

Maybe woy can help me out here; but it's interesting when one looks at a comparison of team payrolls in the 80's/early 90's, and then the growth differential that occurred thereafter, with many teams left in it's wake.

GAC
04-22-2006, 05:58 AM
KC serious? Are people serious?

Their pitching is atrocious, and at the bottom of MLB in a majority of the categories. They are 30th with a team ERA of 6.79.

KronoRed
04-22-2006, 06:27 AM
Poor Royals Fans.

What's up with their ownership?
Clueless?
Penny-pinching?
Both?
Both.

They don't spend much, and what they do spend they spend foolishly.

cincinnati chili
04-22-2006, 09:34 AM
I blame the GM more than ownership in this case. Baird doesn't seem like a bad guy, but he doesn't understand replacement value. Because of that, he overpays for a lot of guys who are equivalent to guys that are available for the league minimum. Consequently, he leaves himself with nothing left in his budget to address his actual needs. Also, early on (and before him), they drafted way too many high school arms early in the draft.

Heath
04-22-2006, 10:13 AM
The heirs to Wal-Mart own the Royals.

There are so many ways to disect that thought, it isn't funny - and it also CAN be funny.

GAC
04-22-2006, 10:48 AM
The heirs to Wal-Mart own the Royals.

There are so many ways to disect that thought, it isn't funny - and it also CAN be funny.

http://www.zimmcomm.biz/images/grocery/walmart-logo.gif

KronoRed
04-22-2006, 03:52 PM
They are getting their stadium renovated, but sadly..no rolling roof :D

Yachtzee
04-22-2006, 09:03 PM
I don't think the rolling roof is necessary, at least in KC. Now it would have helped for Arrowhead, but I always though Kaufmann Stadium is a pretty nice looking ballpark. No need to ugly it up with a roof.

KronoRed
04-23-2006, 12:51 AM
But the rolling roof was a cool idea, did you see the video?
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/ballpark/renovations.jsp

Outstanding :lol:

RANDY IN INDY
04-23-2006, 08:37 AM
I don't think the rolling roof is necessary, at least in KC. Now it would have helped for Arrowhead, but I always though Kaufmann Stadium is a pretty nice looking ballpark. No need to ugly it up with a roof.

Agree. It is a beautiful stadium, probably the best built in the 70's. It has held up well, and anyone that I have ever talked to that has been there says it is a great park and a great place to watch a game. Sad that the franchise has declined so much.

RedlegJake
04-23-2006, 10:09 AM
Jermaine Dye for nothing. Carlos Beltran for nothing. Johnny Damon for nothing. All moved for contract reasons and none brought a player of value. Not a single quality impact player for three immense talents. Remember how we all feared O'Brien might trade Dunn and wouldn't get value for him because he was clueless judging talent? Well KC lives with the reality of that kind of nightmare in Allen Baird.

The Royals are horrible at pitcher development. There have been tons of talented youn g arms come through here but none develop. When you first watch them you think "man this kid is nasty" - ala - Jeremey Affeldt. A few years later and you have Affeldt today - not only hasn't progressed but has actually gotten worse. Right now Burgos, Bautista, Hernandez, Greinke, Cisco and McDougal all seem heading for the same fate. In Greinke's case it isn't only his emotional problems but he also lost velocity last season and looked like a different pitcher altogether. Bautista, McDougal, Burgos and Cisco have great velocity but no command or idea how to pitch, Hernandez is fat and unmotivated. I hold little hope any of this talent will be harnessed - there is no track record since the 80s that the Royals can develop pitching. The Reds offer Tom Browning as their last homegrown quality starter, the Royals Kevin Appier.

In the m inors most of the talent, ala our Reds, is in the low levels so there is little hope in the near future. Last years #1 Alex Gordon, looks the real deal so I expect him up this year - way too soon probably. Justin Huber at first is ready but I'd rank him as a Ben Broussard level talent. Sweeney is being offered around and its my guess he'll wind up in LA-Anaheim for more dross.

It is sad to see this franchise fall so completely but there are reasons. As GAC pointed out the economic changes in baseball hurt but they were compounded by occurring just when owner Ewing Kauffmann died, leaving the team in limbo for several years and the trust group that ran the team did absolutely nothing to prepare the team for a small market role. No player development, minor league emphasis or maintenance of the major league team. Nothing but slash payroll, and reduce costs until David Glass emerged as the owner. Of all the small market clubs, the Royals have cried "woe is us and the big markets are evil" more than any other club, refusing to even try to compete within their means. Since the last CBA Glass has backed off that excuse slightly but still raises it as an excuse, as well as the need for a new or renovated stadium (which he now has).

Today the Royals are under fire from the local fans, the media and politicians. The club made the ridiculous claim, quite loudly, that the acquisition of Grudzialanek and Mientkewitz would make them a much better offense and defense thus improving the pitching as well. The media is so stupid here that most local media sources actually agreed. Too bad SteelSD couldn't have run a few numbers for them. I'm not half the sabremetician some of Redszone's posters are and I could see by G and M's numbers that they actually hurt the Royals offense. It was so immediately obvious to me that I understood better why the Royals are in such a mess.

Finally, the Royals draft so cheaply it makes the Reds look like free wheeling spendthrifts. They have spent money in round one and two but from the 3rd round on they have a penurious bonus limit (I've heard 1K to 25K depending on the source) and only pick players for signability under those terms. Reportedly they've passed on several picks that were higher on their board but wouldn't sign for that.

Finally they claim youth movement every year and every year they trade for more washed up veterans to lead them to 100 losses instead of turning it over to the kids and letting them lose and learn. At least the Marlins picked a route and stuck to it. The Royals seem to waffle back and forth getting nowhere.

Chip R
04-23-2006, 10:13 AM
But the rolling roof was a cool idea, did you see the video?
http://kansascity.royals.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/kc/ballpark/renovations.jsp

Outstanding :lol:

I do not know who is more obsessed, you with these retractable roof stadiums or Krusty with Odalis Perez. ;)

IslandRed
04-23-2006, 12:55 PM
Finally they claim youth movement every year and every year they trade for more washed up veterans to lead them to 100 losses instead of turning it over to the kids and letting them lose and learn.

I dunno. Maybe they're trying to change, but the Royals have traditionally been very impatient with their prospects, bringing them up upon first sign of a pulse. The drawback to the sink-or-swim approach is that, even if they don't drown, they become good swimmers right about the time they can go to arbitration. If they're only going to get six years out of a player before possibly losing them to free agency, spending two or three of them learning on the job isn't a very good idea.

westofyou
04-23-2006, 01:21 PM
The Royals are horrible at pitcher development.
Bill James wrote a piece in the Hardball Times book this past winter that stated that the Royals try more young pitchers than any other organization. His study concluded that they also were extremly poor at doing it.

KronoRed
04-23-2006, 04:24 PM
I do not know who is more obsessed, you with these retractable roof stadiums or Krusty with Odalis Perez. ;)
Hey now, I just want to see rain delays made a thing of the past :D

vaticanplum
04-24-2006, 03:51 PM
The Royals are horrible at pitcher development. There have been tons of talented youn g arms come through here but none develop. When you first watch them you think "man this kid is nasty" - ala - Jeremey Affeldt. A few years later and you have Affeldt today - not only hasn't progressed but has actually gotten worse. Right now Burgos, Bautista, Hernandez, Greinke, Cisco and McDougal all seem heading for the same fate. In Greinke's case it isn't only his emotional problems but he also lost velocity last season and looked like a different pitcher altogether. Bautista, McDougal, Burgos and Cisco have great velocity but no command or idea how to pitch, Hernandez is fat and unmotivated. I hold little hope any of this talent will be harnessed - there is no track record since the 80s that the Royals can develop pitching. The Reds offer Tom Browning as their last homegrown quality starter, the Royals Kevin Appier.

I think this is the key with the Royals. A lot of their mismanagement and money issues hold back the team, but if they could fix this I think the team would be elevated enough that people would care to fix the management issues (which is a lot easier done than bringing up talent). A small market team has no choice but to develop its pitchers well, and they make no effort to do that. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe they draft high schoolers year after year. I'm not saying that one should never draft a high schoolers, but if that's your main pool, you can't be surprised when the majority of your pitching prospects don't pan out for one reason or another.

The Royals fans I know are, hands down, the greatest baseball fans I've ever met. People can say what they will about Cards fans, Cubs fans, Boston fans, Yankees fans, but Royals fans truly love their team with almost NOTHING in return and they don't get too upset about it either. It's almost as if they're so grateful that they have any baseball at all, even if it's bad. Well, not quite...but they certainly don't have that victim mentality that I see a lot of here in Chicago, and it's not a competition for Royals fans either. They just really love baseball. They deserve better.