PDA

View Full Version : Can Krivsky Make A Deal For A Starter By Opening Day?

Krusty
03-19-2006, 12:49 PM
Seems like the only veteran starter available for a possible deal is in Boston, where Wells or Clement could be moved. And with the rumors that the Pirates could be dealing IF/OF Craig Wilson to Boston for Matt Clement, you wonder if Krivsky can shore up a staff that has only two competent starters in Harang and Claussen.

So can we expect a trade for a veteran starter before the start of the season?

wheels
03-19-2006, 12:54 PM
I don't think so.

Don't think other GM's won't be watching Kearns and Pena closely, though.

It's gonna take some time, but I think something will happen.

Not during the spring, though.

Falls City Beer
03-19-2006, 01:50 PM
Billy Beane spends the first five months of the season (including Feb. and March) retooling his club for contention in the second half. Now I'm not saying that Reds fans should expect a similar thing to happen in Cincinnati in terms of contention in 2006, but I want a front office that executes its season's transactions as if that were going to happen; that way, trades at the deadline become more strategically calculated and needs and wants are better understood. Sitting back and doing nothing is the absolute worst thing this club could be doing right now. So to your question Krusty, yes, absolutely the Reds should be working night and day to nab a MLB starter for flipping at the deadline. Yes, yes, yes.

corkedbat
03-19-2006, 02:11 PM
Could happen, but I don't expect anything until closer to the tradedealine period.

buckshotrod
03-19-2006, 02:53 PM
I may be wrong but my guess is if they can MAKE something happen it will be done but ONLY if it will benefit the team. Remember, Bob said he is an impatient person and when I heard him say that, it actually sounded as if he meant it. I thought , YESSSSSSSSSS. Krivsky may get him to cool his heals just a touch to make sure passion don't interfere with brains but I would not be surprised on any day to wake up and find out something cool has happened.

I cannot remember the last time I felt so excited about Reds baseball. Not that I was ever not excited as I love them a lot, but even though everybody and their brother is predicting a last place finish I am so optimistic about the future and will be as long as ownership contiues the passion. Will they make some mistakes along the way? You betcha they will. But will this team improve, maybe quicker than one thinks. I hope so.

So, I raise my glass to Bob and Wayne and say go gettem! I am behind ya and I hope like hell you prove the prognosticators wrong!

KronoRed
03-19-2006, 03:33 PM
Don't see who they can go get that will be of any real help.

Krusty
03-19-2006, 03:52 PM
If I'm Krivsky, I'm calling White Sox GM Kenny Williams and asking if Jose Contreras is available. And if he is, I would see what he would be asking (Mercker along with someone else?). Then if the Reds were able to swing the deal and out of contention come the July trading deadline, I would deal Contreras for some young talent.

M2
03-19-2006, 07:18 PM
Billy Beane spends the first five months of the season (including Feb. and March) retooling his club for contention in the second half.

Please list for me the impact February and March deals Beane's made over the years.

I can't think of one.

VI_RedsFan
03-19-2006, 07:51 PM
Well, maybe Kriv will swing a deal for a pitcher...Check this thread out:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43877

Rumor has it that the Red Sox might deal for Wily Mo.