PDA

View Full Version : Tuffy Rhodes Cut, Bailey Reassigned

Henry Clay
03-19-2006, 01:04 PM
Per Marc's Blog, Tuffy Rhodes was cut today. Additionally, Homer Bailey was reassigned to the minors. This should end the speculation about Homer being rushed. It should also increase the speculation that Quinton McCracken is around to stay.

Here is the salient part of Marc's post:

SARASOTA -- The ax swung again today. Nothing too shocking, but it's always tough to see some of these guys go.

Tuffy Rhodes has been released. He said he's done with baseball and is ready to go home and be a dad.

Homer Bailey, Aaron Holbert, Earl Snyder, Ryan Hanigan and Steve Torrealba have been reassigned to minor league camp.

The Reds now have 42 players in camp.

captainmorgan07
03-19-2006, 01:09 PM
well if there was anybody who didn't see these moves coming they were blind it was nice to see homer in major league camp as long as he was

Heath
03-19-2006, 01:25 PM
Here's to a Summer of Love with Quentin McCracken, Tony Womack, Rich Aurilia, and Jason Standridge.

Your 2006 Cincinnati Reds - "Hey its only been 30 years since we went back to back" :thumbup:

:rolleyes: :bang:

StillFunkyB
03-19-2006, 01:43 PM
I woulda hung on to Tuffy until at least opening day.

Hey, ya never know. :D

membengal
03-19-2006, 01:58 PM
I'm just glad Homer is on his way down and the temptation has been removed from the coaching staff. I hope they tell him to extend his lease in Sarasota to month-to-month and get ready for the opening of high A ball.

RedsManRick
03-19-2006, 02:59 PM
C LaRue, Valentin
1B Dunn, Hatteberg
2B Womack
SS Lopez
3B Encarnacion
OF Pena, Griffey, Kearns
Util Aurilia, Freel

There are the gaurenteed spots, 12 guys. W're looking at probably 12 pitchers, so that leaves 1 spot for Wise, Denorfia, McCracken, and Cruz. I'd say Denorfia probably goes back to AAA and Wise/McCracken battle for the last spot. The next 10 days will determine which of them it is, but my money is on Wise.

KronoRed
03-19-2006, 03:30 PM
Glad to see Homer go..rushing him would be nuts.

Ahh..the team is taking shape, old vets all over the place.

Falls City Beer
03-19-2006, 04:16 PM
Why would you bring up 12 pitchers? That makes no sense. It just means another clone of a clone makes it on the roster. Think about the bullpen for instance; two categories: LOOGIes and soft-tossing slider-throwing righthanders. There are zero "different looks" coming out of that bullpen. Bloody disaster waiting to happen. The team ERA will be higher than last year. Bank on it.

And that's not the way Robert Castellini wants his inaugural year to go.

Caveat Emperor
03-19-2006, 04:52 PM
Why would you bring up 12 pitchers? That makes no sense. It just means another clone of a clone makes it on the roster. Think about the bullpen for instance; two categories: LOOGIes and soft-tossing slider-throwing righthanders. There are zero "different looks" coming out of that bullpen. Bloody disaster waiting to happen. The team ERA will be higher than last year. Bank on it.

And that's not the way Robert Castellini wants his inaugural year to go.

You take 12 pitchers north because only 1 of your starters can be counted on to go 6-7 innings consistently...and if last season was any indication, you'll be going to the mound to fetch your starter in the 3rd/4th/5th inning on a fairly regular basis with 3 of the other 4 guys.

They'll need the additional 60-70 IPs that an extra arm in the bullpen could log.

Falls City Beer
03-19-2006, 05:01 PM
You take 12 pitchers north because only 1 of your starters can be counted on to go 6-7 innings consistently...and if last season was any indication, you'll be going to the mound to fetch your starter in the 3rd/4th/5th inning on a fairly regular basis with 3 of the other 4 guys.

They'll need the additional 60-70 IPs that an extra arm in the bullpen could log.

The thought of taking only 13 position players is nuts to me. I'll never understand the 12 pitchers philosophy. Go hunt down the knuckleballer Fernandez if you need a rubber arm.

So you're not only going to turn the ball over to Standridge 70 times a season, but an often overworked and tired Standridge? :(

Heath
03-19-2006, 05:46 PM
Here's to a Summer of Love with Quentin McCracken, Tony Womack, Rich Aurilia, and Jason Standridge.

Your 2006 Cincinnati Reds - "Hey its only been 30 years since we went back to back" :thumbup:

:rolleyes: :bang:

Sorry if the above got anyone's goat besides the person who negged me for the remark.

Apologies all around.

OnBaseMachine
03-19-2006, 05:50 PM
Sorry if the above got anyone's goat besides the person who negged me for the remark.

Apologies all around.

Looks like the truth hurts. I hooked you with some positive rep to make up for the ridiculous neg.

The truth hurts.

smith288
03-19-2006, 06:53 PM
I second Heath's comment... now neg me ya wuss

membengal
03-19-2006, 06:53 PM

Apologies all around.

Why do people get neg points for stuff like that? It's a board. For goodness sake, some cynicism has to be expected and comes with the territory.

M2
03-19-2006, 07:35 PM
The thought of taking only 13 position players is nuts to me. I'll never understand the 12 pitchers philosophy. Go hunt down the knuckleballer Fernandez if you need a rubber arm.

Agreed, but I fear Fernandez might have tired of toiling for Louisville while trash pitchers get innings for the Reds.

You also might be right about the team ERA going up, though there is a silver lining in there. Even if it does, the Reds probably will have more capable pitchers than in previous years (Harang, Claussen and the standard complement of three or so middling relievers). If the awful of others overwhelms them in the short term at least the Reds still have something worth adding to instead of an entire staff that needs replacing.

KronoRed
03-19-2006, 08:04 PM
Why do people get neg points for stuff like that? It's a board. For goodness sake, some cynicism has to be expected and comes with the territory.
Apparently "REAL" red fans believe the team is going all the way each year, even though facts and common sense tell us otherwise.

We love the Reds..doesn't mean we have to think they are the greatest ever every year.

GAC
03-19-2006, 08:24 PM

Exactly. If being critical demands neg points, then this forum is in trouble. ;)

A simple disagreement over something said, or a difference of opinion, does not require neg points. Trolls do.

Question: do neg rep points ever come off? Or is one permanently scarred?

Heath
03-19-2006, 10:28 PM
Question: do neg rep points ever come off? Or is one permanently scarred?

If that's the worse cross I have to bear, I can live with myself.

BTW - Thanks to those who helped with my original post. I appreciate the extra points, but I hope it didn't look like I was begging for them. :thumbup:

Cedric
03-19-2006, 11:32 PM
Heath- I've been negged for even less than that lol. It happens, don't sweat it.