PDA

View Full Version : Sopranos 3/19/06

alex trevino
03-19-2006, 10:02 PM
What did you all think of tonight's episode? Looks like there will be a powerplay in the weeks to come. Do you think Tony will be in a coma the whole season? I have never been a big fan of the dream sequences so I hope this will not be reoccuring. Kinda like the thought of Anthony whacking Junior though!

kbrake
03-19-2006, 10:14 PM
thought tonight was a pretty good episode, just seemed like you said, to be setting up the powerplay in the weeks to come. I really hope Tony is not in the coma for the entire season.

BoydsOfSummer
03-19-2006, 11:00 PM
I didn't like it much as a single episode, but it definately sets up some rolling and tumbling down the line. I'm gonna watch it again here in a bit to see if it gets better the second time. :cool:

alex trevino
03-19-2006, 11:04 PM
BOS - thats funny I find myself watching each episode atleast twice...seems like I pick up something new each time I watch it.

Caveat Emperor
03-20-2006, 12:11 AM
I enjoyed the episode -- a lot of metaphor-action going on in Tony's near death hallucination. They were playing on a whole "lost" concept with it: the wallet symbolizing "lost identity", the medical diagnosis of alzheimers being continuing the theme and lost mind, the lightouse in the window attempting to guide him back, etc. I also wondered, for a second, if he might already be in some kind of hell: stuck on the road with no picture ID to get back home and no money to stay in a hotel -- waiting for someone to return your misplaced things to you. Also an interesting look at what Tony Soprano might've been like had he not gotten involved in the mob, considering his "dream" version of himself seemed to be legit (since mob Tony would've just phoned Chris or one of the boys for cash if he lost his wallet).

As far as everything else goes, it'll be interesting to see the family start to break down without his leadership as people fight for control. I'm also sensing that AJ might be not long for this show -- just a hunch.

WMR
03-20-2006, 01:56 AM
The show tonight really touched me... nothing else on television can come close to The Sopranos.

Red Leader
03-20-2006, 09:42 AM
My wife said that she heard that Tony was going to be in a coma for at least 4 episodes, and possibly the whole season. I'm going to be heavily disappointed if he is in the hospital the whole season, and they keep up with this dream sequence stuff.

This may sound crazy, but I'm betting that they keep him in a coma for 4-5 episides and then he dies. I'm guessing that AJ's progression toward revenge plays out and he joins the group after his father passes.

Johnny Footstool
03-20-2006, 10:13 AM
A lot of actors can turn on the water works and overplay emotional scenes to the point of melodrama, but Edie Falco is downright scary when she really digs deep and lets loose. She showed it during her fight scenes with Tony at the end of Season 4, and she really showed it in last night's episode. Her performance was utterly amazing. You could almost feel her soul ripping apart.

wally post
03-20-2006, 10:46 AM
A lot of actors can turn on the water works and overplay emotional scenes to the point of melodrama, but Edie Falco is downright scary when she really digs deep and lets loose. She showed it during her fight scenes with Tony at the end of Season 4, and she really showed it in last night's episode. Her performance was utterly amazing. You could almost feel her soul ripping apart.

yeah Johnny - I'll second that. Well said! I'm thrilled to have been able to see the episode!

jhiller21
03-20-2006, 05:40 PM
Thirding, Edie Falco was unbelievable in last night's episode.

AJ is becoming even less likable than I thought possible.

Puffy
03-20-2006, 05:55 PM

I was thinking as I was watching the episode - "Man, Edie just won the best actress Emmy for this year"

She is awesome as Carmella.

Chip R
03-20-2006, 06:04 PM
I was thinking as I was watching the episode - "Man, Edie just won the best actress Emmy for this year"

She is awesome as Carmella.

I was thinking the same thing. She was outstanding last night.

So that California thing was a dream sequence? I thought that took place sometime in the future and the hospital stuff were flashbacks. :confused:

If they ever make AJ someone important in The Family, I am declaring shenanigans on David Chase.

Steve4192
03-20-2006, 08:34 PM
AJ is becoming even less likable than I thought possible.
Agreed.

Hopefully he is this season's surprise 'whackee'.

jhiller21
03-20-2006, 10:57 PM
Agreed.

Hopefully he is this season's surprise 'whackee'.

Maybe if Tony's still out of commission... allowing someone to whack his own son would be out of the question.

Livia tried though, hmm.

Sweetstop
03-21-2006, 10:37 AM

So that California thing was a dream sequence? I thought that took place sometime in the future and the hospital stuff were flashbacks. :confused:

If they ever make AJ someone important in The Family, I am declaring shenanigans on David Chase.

So you're thinking that Tony and Carm get the "witness protection" treatment at some point, or they just go into hiding on their own, and Tony becomes a terrific award-winning salesman and develops morals...like worrying about using another man's credit card? I read somewhere about it being an alternate path his life might have taken if he hadn't been born into the wrong family. But, who knows.

Puffy
03-21-2006, 10:45 AM

Didn't you notice that the voice on the phone was not Carmela and that the children were young - much younger than Meadow and AJ?

Johnny Footstool
03-21-2006, 11:01 AM
Didn't you notice that the voice on the phone was not Carmela and that the children were young - much younger than Meadow and AJ?

Yep, I noticed it. I thought his wife sounded like Charmain Bucco, but a friend of mine thought it was Gloria (the suicide girl, played by the lovely Annabella Sciorra). I'll have to do some research and figure that out.

Chip R
03-21-2006, 11:04 AM

I guess I didn't.

So you're thinking that Tony and Carm get the "witness protection" treatment at some point, or they just go into hiding on their own, and Tony becomes a terrific award-winning salesman and develops morals...like worrying about using another man's credit card? I read somewhere about it being an alternate path his life might have taken if he hadn't been born into the wrong family. But, who knows.

Not necessarily that. I guess I just took it at face value. I know he's into military stuff so I thought he just went to that conference just because he was a buff. Witness protection didn't enter my mind since he said he was registered as Anthony Soprano. The things that struck me as odd were that he not only had that guy's briefcase but his wallet. I could see accidentally taking someone's briefcase but his wallet? Also, like Caveat said, if he needed cash, why not call Christopher or someone else and have them get him cash? I just thought he was BSing about that salesman crap. He certainly isn't going to tell them he's a mob boss. I just thought it was too detailed to be a dream.

GIK
03-21-2006, 11:31 AM
I liked the reference to this:
http://media.ford.com/images/06_products/gt500_driving.jpg

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 11:35 AM
Yep, I noticed it. I thought his wife sounded like Charmain Bucco, but a friend of mine thought it was Gloria (the suicide girl, played by the lovely Annabella Sciorra). I'll have to do some research and figure that out.

I thought it was Gloria as well. I even thought for a second that they showed her in a scene in the dream sequence, indicating possibly that Tony was "near death"? :dunno:

Sweetstop
03-21-2006, 12:06 PM
I see it as a "coma-vision"...because in both, he's trying to get back to his family. While he's at it the viewer gets to see what he'd have been like if he had taken another fork in his life's road PLUS how the "family" manages w/o him. David Chase is doing a twisted remake of "It's A Wonderful Life"!

WMR
03-21-2006, 01:58 PM
Tony is definitely in a dream sequence right now. He's envisioning what his life might have been w/o the mob. He never marries Carmela, for one, and his life is totally different.

top6
03-21-2006, 02:23 PM
POSSIBLE SPOILERS (BUT PRETTY MINOR)

Not even sure if anything in this post is a spoiler, but you can never be too careful!

This article (http://www.nj.com/columns/ledger/sepinwall/index.ssf?/base/columns-0/1142836402123280.xml&coll=1) is really interesting, and includes an interview with David Chase.

A few tidbits:

Chase says he would not call the Episode 2 scenes dreams.

The woman on the phone was not Carmella, Gloria or anyone else that we know. It was a generic woman's voice, apparently.

AJ says during the episode "poor you" - exactly what Tony's mother used to say.

All in all a pretty interesting article.

I think I agree with the writer that Tony is in Purgatory of some kind. (Lots of references to this: Tony sees flames (sort of like hell) on the TV screen, the bar tender says Costa Mesa is "dead", Tony sees the sign "are sin and death real?", and the whole monk scene struck me as a little after-life-esque.) Not sure what to make of Chase's comment that Tony isn't having a dream - is it more like a hallucination, are we literally seeing Tony in the afterlife, is this taking place in someone else's head? I don't know.

All in all, I think this is the best show on TV, and it's not even close.

Johnny Footstool
03-21-2006, 03:16 PM
AJ says during the episode "poor you" - exactly what Tony's mother used to say.

Tony has said it a number of times throughout the run of the series.

Great article, top6!

Chip R
03-21-2006, 03:23 PM
Good article. I especially liked this part:

"Meanwhile, you have AJ trying to have his Michael Corleone moment with his plan to murder Junior, but the kid's still too dumb and weak to even pass for Fredo."

:lol:

I suppose that all makes sense but how are they going to keep Tony/Kevin In Costa Mesa interesting for however many episodes he's going to be there?

WMR
03-23-2006, 01:52 AM
aj will do something really really really insane and when tony comes out of this sleep, he'll hafta kill his own kid. he\ll be forcd