PDA

View Full Version : Will Ed E. be the winner of the Pena deal?

Strikes Out Looking
03-20-2006, 05:39 PM
1. Without Pena he'll most likely move up in the order.
2. With Dunn back in LF, he'll most likely play more games at 3b as I have a hunch Aurilia will see some time at 1b. (I believe Rich's offense is better than Hatteberg's and his liability on D will be less at 1b).

In a strange way, Ed E's terrific spring may have made this trade viable. Anyone else see this?

M2
03-20-2006, 05:52 PM
Good points CC05.

harangatang
03-20-2006, 05:53 PM
I think your idea of Aurilia/Hatteberg is pretty close to being correct. I think you could push as far as a platoon at first base between the two.

lollipopcurve
03-20-2006, 05:54 PM
I think Narron has shown he wants to move EdE up, and I think he might have hit him higher than Wily Mo anyway. Going to be a downer for EdE to lose his buddy, though. Felipe needs to take him under his wing....

Strikes Out Looking
03-20-2006, 06:04 PM
His buddy hasn't been there all spring and he's done just fine!

LincolnparkRed
03-20-2006, 06:19 PM
His buddy hasn't been there all spring and he's done just fine!

Also remember the love fest that last years team was. Everyone cried when Graves was let go, then again when Casey was traded. Chemistry has not been proven to equal wins on any team I have watched.

KronoRed
03-20-2006, 06:40 PM
I still think he loses a ton of at bats to Rich at 3rd.

tbball10
03-20-2006, 07:05 PM
I still think he loses a ton of at bats to Rich at 3rd.

i dont think he'll lose ab's to aurilia. that would be a terrible personnel decision, and would ruin EdE's development.

registerthis
03-20-2006, 07:07 PM
i dont think he'll lose ab's to aurilia. that would be a terrible personnel decision, and would ruin EdE's development.

I don't think so either. EdE's by far the hottest hitter on the Reds this spring, there's no justification for starting RA over him there now. I think Aurilia will get more time at first and some time at second, with very limited time at third. Unless EdE tanks during April, my gut feeling is that he has won the job outright.

captainmorgan07
03-20-2006, 08:05 PM
never thought of the trade this way good point ede up in the order is good i still don't see why we couldn't keep dunn at first and put denorfia or wise in left

vic715
03-20-2006, 08:24 PM
I'd rather have Valintin at 1st before Hattie.

TOBTTReds
03-20-2006, 09:07 PM
When this happens I stop watching for a week (prob. not, I couldn't do that):

Freel - CF
Womack
Felipe
Kearns
Dunn
Aurilia
Hatteberg
LaRue
Dave Williams

TC81190
03-20-2006, 09:09 PM
never thought of the trade this way good point ede up in the order is good i still don't see why we couldn't keep dunn at first and put denorfia or wise in left

I'd definitely start Denorfia before Hatteberg, absolutely.

BigRed
03-20-2006, 09:38 PM
Has Narron or anyone said for sure that Dunn is going back to left? I think that moving Dunn to 1B is still a good idea. Freel could get more playing time in the OF. Better defensive OF with Freel, Junior, and Kearns. Same thing with Denorfia.

jnwohio
03-20-2006, 10:17 PM
Has Narron or anyone said for sure that Dunn is going back to left? I think that moving Dunn to 1B is still a good idea. Freel could get more playing time in the OF. Better defensive OF with Freel, Junior, and Kearns. Same thing with Denorfia.

Check out Marc Lancaster's blog in the Post. Narron was very unequivocal. Dunn is going back to LF. Hatteburg is the 1B

gm
03-20-2006, 11:28 PM
Nice catch, CC'05. I'd like to see EdE batting between Junior and Dunn.

roby
03-21-2006, 12:01 AM
I agree wholeheartedly with some of the comments here. Denorfia should be the starting left fielder. That would improve the defense tremendously... and you would still be working young players into the line-up. That makes a lot more sense for the future.

As far as trading Wily Mo goes, it makes me absolutely sick. I'm old enough to remember the Frank Robinson/Milt Pappas trade. I think there are a lot of similarities. I know that Wily Mo hasn't done nearly as much as what Robinson did, but he is 24 and Robinson was 30. Pena may never be a Robinson...but he sure might be! Let's hope that Arroyo is not a post-Baltimore Milt Pappas.