PDA

View Full Version : Did we give up on a 5th starter too soon?

paulrichjr
03-21-2006, 10:31 AM
It's amazing but a team like the Cardinals may be using Hancock as their 5th starter. Personally I always liked Hancock and never understood the level of hate that he generated on this board. Just our luck he wins 15 this year and has a sub 4.00 ERA.... Oh well

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/content/sports/reds/daily/0321redsnotesweb.html

Hancock's revenge

Speaking of the Reds search for pitching, remember Josh Hancock?

When he reported to camp 17 pounds overweight, the Reds immediately released him. He signed a minor-league contract with the St. Louis Cardinals and has pitched 6 1/3 scoreless innings.

The release obviously grabbed Hancock's attention. He lost weight, focused and he is a top candidate to be in the St. Louis rotation.

RedsManRick
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
Josias Manzinillo... ST is only ST.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 10:33 AM
I believe Hancock is only a emergency option behind Reyes and Ponson. However, releasing Hancock seemed to be just another sign of the increasing schizophrenia in the front office.

traderumor
03-21-2006, 10:40 AM
I hope the Cards do use Hancock as their fifth starter and we draw him a few times. I like our chances more than I like his in a matchup. He just isn't any good. And I'm not sure what is schizophrenic about dumping fodder who can't even show enough committment to show up in shape.

registerthis
03-21-2006, 11:01 AM
And I'm not sure what is schizophrenic about dumping fodder who can't even show enough committment to show up in shape.

Damned if you do , damned if you don't. I don't think there's a single move this franchise could make without drawing the ire of at least 50% of this board.

M2
03-21-2006, 01:00 PM
Let's see - Chris Carpenter, Mark Mulder, Sidney Ponson, Jeff Suppan, Jason Marquis, Anthony Reyes, Adam Wainwright.

Hancock would be lucky to get counted as the Cardinals' #8 starter and only someone who knows next to nothing about the St. Louis roster, like Hal McCoy, would mention Hancock as a front runner for a #5 slot that's not even open at the moment.

red-in-la
03-21-2006, 01:02 PM
You guys are so into numbers.....compare Hancocks to any Reds pitcher they kept. I hope Hancock wins 15 games for the Cards.....just another reason to think that somehow, soP is actually running the Reds this century.

TOBTTReds
03-21-2006, 01:04 PM
Damned if you do , damned if you don't. I don't think there's a single move this franchise could make without drawing the ire of at least 50% of this board.

That is because there are so many different opinions and intelligent levels. Not everyone is the most knowledgable baseball fan. My uncle thought Casey was the best player on the Reds last year because he batted .300.

I wouldn't get worked up about any of this, this is why it is a message board, and he simply asked a question: Did we give up too soon? The answer is no. :)

M2
03-21-2006, 01:05 PM
You guys are so into numbers.....compare Hancocks to any Reds pitcher they kept. I hope Hancock wins 15 games for the Cards.....just another reason to think that somehow, soP is actually running the Reds this century.

Earth to r-i-l, Hancock's not even on the radar to make the Cardinals rotation, except for maybe inside of Hal McCoy's head.

IslandRed
03-21-2006, 01:05 PM

Oh, I can think of one.

LoganBuck
03-22-2006, 01:49 PM
Oh, I can think of one.

Are they going to have Carrot Top sing the national anthem? Everyone loves Carrot Top.