PDA

View Full Version : Pitching: Is It Really That Hard To Find?

Jpup
03-21-2006, 12:00 PM
After watching many, many games of the World Baseball Classic, I pose the question:

Is it really that hard to find decent pitching?

There appears to be some decent arms in the far east that the Reds could really use. I don't know the logistics of signing these guys, but they have to be better that what the Reds have taking the hill every 5th day. I'll talke Harang, Arroyo, and Claussen, the rest are for the scrap heap. Some of these guys in Japan and Korea have to be better, dont they?

oneupper
03-21-2006, 12:02 PM
Chan Ho Park says hi!

Jpup
03-21-2006, 12:05 PM
Chan Ho Park says hi!

He's better than Eric Milton.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 12:43 PM
It is if you are the Reds.

OldRightHander
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
To answer the question posed in the title of the thread, pitching isn't that hard to find. Every team has pitchers after all. Good pitching, on the other hand, is another story.

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 03:30 PM
It is if you are the Reds.
Word.

Pitchers come here to die.

BRM
03-21-2006, 03:31 PM
Word.

Pitchers come here to die.

I think some of them were dead when they got here.

registerthis
03-21-2006, 04:34 PM

Some would have pitched better if they were.

Hoosier Red
03-23-2006, 05:04 PM
"Well cross them off then"

chicoruiz
03-23-2006, 05:16 PM
JPup's point kind of got buried under a pile of one-liners, but I think it's valid. Did anyone hear of the Reds scouting the WBC at all?

OldRightHander
03-23-2006, 05:22 PM
JPup's point kind of got buried under a pile of one-liners, but I think it's valid. Did anyone hear of the Reds scouting the WBC at all?

No, but I saw plenty of pitching there that could help this team. I think the Reds are somewhat clueless in the area of scouting.

IslandRed
03-23-2006, 10:28 PM
I don't know what the deal is with Korean players, I admit. But MLB and the Japanese leagues have agreements that respect each other's contracts. A Japanese player has to put in ten years over there before he can come to the U.S. So any player good enough to come over here, and eligible to do so, is going to be a known quantity -- and fair game for all 30 clubs.

Jpup
03-24-2006, 02:45 AM

There has to be some guys that are/will be available that would make the Reds better. I don't think it would hurt to try and get a couple of the Korean pitchers and some of the others over here for, at least, a chance to make the club.

KronoRed
03-24-2006, 02:49 AM
On the pitching note, The Sporting News ranked the Reds as having the worst rotation in baseball

We're number 1 ;)

MattyHo4Life
03-24-2006, 04:19 AM
Arroyo bumped the Reds up to #27 in these rankings.

http://msn.foxsports.com/fantasy/story/5438034

OnBaseMachine
03-24-2006, 07:06 AM
Wow, the Cards rotation over the A's? No way. I would easily take the A's young rotation over the Cards higher WHIP, hittable rotation. The Cards have a Cy Young pitcher in Carpenter, a solid starter in Mulder, two number four starters, and then there is Ponson.

And give me the A's rotation over the White Sox too.

MattyHo4Life
03-24-2006, 08:53 AM
Suppan is a #4 starter? How many teams have 3 starters better than Suppan? Both Suppan and Marquis are better than Arroyo.

OnBaseMachine
03-24-2006, 09:03 AM
Suppan is a #4 starter? How many teams have 3 starters better than Suppan? Both Suppan and Marquis are better than Arroyo.

OK. Where the heck did I say Arroy was better than Marquis? Good luck finding that because I didn't say it. Not sure what the point of that was.

Anyway, Suppan sure isn't a number one or two or even a three, imo. 206 hits in 194.1 innings and 1.38 WHIP. Sorry, not my definition of a top flight starter. Marquis allows a hit per inning and had a 69 walk/100 strikeout ratio. Very poor BB/K rate.

FWIW, Arroyo had a better WHIP than both Suppan and Marquis last year and at a cheaper price to boot.

MattyHo4Life
03-24-2006, 09:11 AM
OK. Where the heck did I say Arroy was better than Marquis? Good luck finding that because I didn't say it. Not sure what the point of that was.

You didn't, but I think most posters on this forum including me would consider Arroyo a #3 starter which is what I would consider both Suppan and Marquis.

Johnny Footstool
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM

All three are fairly equal and fairly average. Put Arroyo on the Cardinals and he'd perform about the same as Suppan and Marquis.

MattyHo4Life
03-24-2006, 12:28 PM
All three are fairly equal and fairly average. Put Arroyo on the Cardinals and he'd perform about the same as Suppan and Marquis.

I think you are right Johnny, but I think they are all better than #4 starters. However, I do think Marquis has better potential than the others.

Jpup
03-25-2006, 06:30 AM
I think you are right Johnny, but I think they are all better than #4 starters. However, I do think Marquis has better potential than the others.

I'd rather have Arroyo.