PDA

View Full Version : Reds acquire Dave Ross, DFA Standridge

Danny Serafini
03-21-2006, 01:46 PM
Per Marc's blog:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say.

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 01:50 PM
Bobby Basham. Damn. I always liked that kid, and will continue to pray that he makes it back to pre-Steve Austin arm level of play.

Wayne's shaking it up a bit. If anyone has any doubts that he's the anti-O'Brien, this ought to convince you. I'm guessing that LaRue doesn't last the season with the Reds (and maybe not even Spring Training at this rate).

Heath
So, what can we get for Javier Valentin now?

So the Frank Pastore-clone is gone.

redsmetz
As I said elsewhere, I think there's another larger deal in the works. One of our other catchers is probably headed somewhere and I still think one of the infielders.

flyer85
Per Marc's blog:

Reds make another deal

SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

Ross has been tearing it up this spring for San Diego, hitting .529 (9-for-17) with three homers. But with Mike Piazza and Doug Mirabelli there, not much playing time was in the offing for Ross. Of course, one could say the same thing here. We'll see what Wayne has to say."I can here that pennant a comin, rollin round the bend, we haven't seen the sunshine since I don't know when, I'm stuck in Cincy Redsland and seasons keep draggin on"

Jpup
03-21-2006, 01:51 PM

Larue will be the one going IMO. This was a dumb trade for the Reds.

trade a decent young arm for a terrible catcher that can't even hit. good idea Krivsky.

Johnny Footstool
Last year's scouting report is less than glowing. Apparently, Ross can't hit, field, run, throw, take a walk, chew his own food, or wipe himself.

Scouting Report
2004 Season

After David Ross banged out 10 homers in only 124 at-bats in 2003, the Dodgers had high hopes that he could provide similar pop over a full season. How wrong they were. Not only did Ross hit half as many longballs in more at-bats, but he failed to make contact almost one-third of the time. Even after Paul Lo Duca was traded to the Marlins, Ross remained buried on the bench.

Hitting, Baserunning & Defense

Ross can turn on mistakes on the inner half, but that's about the extent of his batting prowess. He cannot catch up with above-average heat and has little chance against anything with a wrinkle. Ross went to an 0-2 count in more than 20 percent of his plate appearances last season. On the basepaths, he runs like a catcher, and his hands and feet are not that quick behind the plate. While Ross has adequate arm strength, his throws are often offline.

2005 Outlook

No longer a kid, Ross proved last year that he does not have the talent to play in the major leagues. The Dodgers will be upgrading at the position this season, and Ross will return to Triple-A Las Vegas, only coming up should an injury strike one of the frontliners.

flyer85

So the Frank Pastore-clone is gone.I think it is more likely to be Larue. Colorado?

flyer85
03-21-2006, 01:53 PM
Last year's scouting report is less than glowing. Apparently, Ross can't hit, field, run, throw, take a walk, chew his own food, or wipe himself.sounds like a perfect complement to Womack and Hatteberg. I become more cynical with every move I see.

Hopefully Wayne will acquire a minibike and totally redeem himself.

Johnny Footstool
03-21-2006, 01:55 PM
I think it is more likely to be Larue. Colorado?

Larue for Josh Fogg or Zach Day sounds like it's right up Krivsky's alley.

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 02:01 PM
I think it is more likely to be Larue. Colorado?

LaRue to LA for Odalis Perez?

Hey, a guy can dream....

Tony Womack to the Cardinals?

The Cards currently have Junior Spivey penciled in as their starter at 2B, and he's hurting with a shoulder problem and has been dismal this spring, ie. they might need a 2B. Maybe not Womack, but one of our 264 second basemen might work.

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 02:10 PM
It's like watching the Bowden and O'Brien era's flushed right from under my eyes!!

Every name that had significance in either of their terms is being packed and shipped out.

NC Reds
03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
I like Larue. We have already weakened the offense with one trade this week; trading Larue for marginal pitching makes no sense to me.

redsmetz
03-21-2006, 02:12 PM
LaRue to LA for Odalis Perez?

Hey, a guy can dream....

Tony Womack to the Cardinals?

The Cards currently have Junior Spivey penciled in as their starter at 2B, and he's hurting with a shoulder problem and has been dismal this spring, ie. they might need a 2B. Maybe not Womack, but one of our 264 second basemen might work.

This is the first reasonable proposal I've seen about Womack on this board (or so it feels). I'd take mid-level prospect (or prospects) - much as we gave up to be rid of this needless trade.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 02:15 PM
This is the first reasonable proposal I've seen about Womack on this board (or so it feels). Heck I'd do it for paying his salary and getting a swift kick in the nuts.

Caveat Emperor
03-21-2006, 02:18 PM
What about Jason LaRue to first base? I seem to recall him playing there one or two times over the last few seasons.

Javier Valentine moves up to starting catcher, Ross becomes the backup.

Incidentally, I'm disappointed to lose Bobby Basham -- by all indications, he had a pretty darn good season last year in the minors and appeared to be back on the road to recovery.

Team Clark
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
He's just filling a spot in AAA.

corkedbat
03-21-2006, 02:19 PM
LaRue or Valentin, a MI and one of our relievers for an arm. Is Ross that much better than Sardinha as a backup catcher to give up any arm in this organziation? Maybe more versitile I guess.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 02:20 PM
He's just filling a spot in AAA.then why not claim him on waivers?

corkedbat
03-21-2006, 02:20 PM
He's just filling a spot in AAA. I thought Dane already had that filled.

LoganBuck
03-21-2006, 02:21 PM
TeamClark, are you suggesting the Reds gave up Bobby Basham for AAA flotsum on purpose!

traderumor
03-21-2006, 02:22 PM
Last year's scouting report is less than glowing. Apparently, Ross can't hit, field, run, throw, take a walk, chew his own food, or wipe himself.The last part is what clubhouse guys are for :devil: They'll do anything for a tip...or a car :)

flyer85
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Basham and a 2.98 ERA doesn't fit in well with the other Reds pitchers. It makes them feel small.:D

corkedbat
03-21-2006, 02:25 PM
Can they send him to AAA if he's out of options? I thought that was why the Padres dealt him. Do the Reds get an extra option when they deal for him?

pedro
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
He's just filling a spot in AAA.

that's what I think too.

says more about their faith in dane than anything else.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 02:26 PM
Can they send him to AAA if he's out of options? I thought that was why the Padres dealt him. Do the Reds get an extra option when they deal for him?he will have to pass thru waivers to be sent down.

dfs
03-21-2006, 02:28 PM
Can they send him to AAA if he's out of options? I thought that was why the Padres dealt him. Do the Reds get an extra option when they deal for him?

No.

I originally thought that there simply HAD to be a second half of this transaction, thinking "They can't keep three catchers on the 25 man roster can they?"

but....yeah. maybe they can. Much has been made of Narron's reluctance to use Valentin as a pinch hitter and burn through his last catcher, but if they have enough multipositional guys on the bench. Sure, they could keep a third catcher.
We'll see what the next 48 hours bring.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
that's what I think too.

says more about their faith in dane than anything else.Ross is Dane with more plate discipline and less defense. Nothing useful in either case which is why he has bounced from LA to Pittsburg to SD in the last year. At his best he is AAAA player.

corkedbat
03-21-2006, 02:30 PM
he will have to pass thru waivers to be sent down.

That's what I thought. A bit of a risk if he's just AAA insurance - it could backfire if someone else claims him and they don't have to give up a middling prospect to acquire him. Dane may not be everyday major league starter, but there are worse backups in the league and he's fine for AAA. It doesn't really make much sense to me unless he's gonna be on the Reds bench or there's another foot about to fall.

pedro
03-21-2006, 02:32 PM
I don't think they thought much of basham. BP didn't.

Doc. Scott
03-21-2006, 02:33 PM
Ross is Dane with more plate discipline and less defense. Nothing useful in either case which is why he has bounced from LA to Pittsburg to SD in the last year. At his best he is AAAA player.

That sure isn't what the scouting report and the stats line say. It appears that he's more like Dane with a lot less defense, considerably more power, and the same plate discipline.

Why are the Reds giving up living, breathing pitchers, remote as their possibility to contribute might be perceived, for AAA filler that can be had for free? That doesn't really make a lot of sense. But I doubt either player will make his former team look like a particular fool.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 02:41 PM
Dane hit 10 HR in his stint in AAA with 22 BB in ~300ABs.

Ross hit 15HR(in Vegas, serious HR park) with 35 BBs in ~300ABs.

the only real difference is the BBs especially with the consideration of what a huge offensive park Vegas is.

Gallen5862
03-21-2006, 02:50 PM
I think that the Reds wanted Standridge off the 40 man roster and are hoping he can pass through waivers and send him to AAA. Ross would probably stay and Dane will be sent down if he has options. Larue and Valentin can both stay if Valentin is counted as a back up firstbaseman. It is also possible that Larue or Valentin can be traded.

Roy Tucker
03-21-2006, 02:52 PM
So why is Sardinha still on the 40 man? If they trade for flotsam like David Ross (David Ross?), doesn't that speak volumes for what the FO thinks of Dane? I don't get it.

The roster seems to be increasing the number of ill-fitting pieces. I'm waiting for that moment of clarity, when the master stroke is taken and it all falls into place.

flyer85
Wow if they keep Ross they are up to 4 catchers on the roster. I wonder if they can acquire a few more.

Heath
But I doubt either player will make his former team look like a particular fool.

Unless Bobby Basham becomes Bob Tewksbury, its a trade of one teams former prospect for another teams former prospect thrice removed.

No harm, no foul.

Doc. Scott
03-21-2006, 02:53 PM
Milwaukee has a full 40-man roster, so it comes down to this: will they DFA some ham-'n-egger to make room for Standridge? I know I'm getting my bowl of popcorn now.

Chip R
03-21-2006, 02:57 PM
Last year's scouting report is less than glowing. Apparently, Ross can't hit, field, run, throw, take a walk, chew his own food, or wipe himself.

He sounds perfect. I don't think Wayne and Jerry will be satisfied until they can get a complete roster of position players who are either catchers or middle infielders.

BRM
03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
He sounds perfect. I don't think Wayne and Jerry will be satisfied until they can get a complete roster of position players who are either catchers or middle infielders.

And poor defenders...

Raisor
03-21-2006, 02:59 PM
David Ross?????

Don't they know that Dan (Hack) Wilson is just itching to come out of retirement?

DAVID ROSS?

Chip R
03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
And poor defenders...

Absolutely, as long as they can Play The Game The Right Way and Know How To Win.

Reds Fanatic
03-21-2006, 03:00 PM
This is the latest update on this from Marc's blog:

Krivsky says nothing should be read into this, as far as other potential trades. I suppose we'll play that one by ear.

"We like David Ross," said Krivsky. "Hes a very good defensive catcher. Its almost like pitching you can never have enough catching. There arent any predetermined things here as far as the roster goes. The possibility of carrying three catchers exists. Im not saying its an absolute, but well have 10 or 11 days to evaluate it after getting (Ross) in here."

As for Standridge, he was told he wouldn't make the roster cut if it happened today, so he would have to go through waivers anyway. The Reds are giving it a head start so he can catch on with somebody else if an opportunity pops up. If not, Krivsky said the Reds would like to have Standridge report to Louisville. He should be through waivers by Thursday.

ochre
03-21-2006, 03:01 PM
Any relation to:
http://www.privatelessons.net/odd/bob_ross.jpg?

flyer85
03-21-2006, 03:02 PM
The Reds could field a starting lineup composed entirely of catchers and middle infielders.

Gallen5862
03-21-2006, 03:03 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...1/c1357919.jsp
Reds acquire catcher David Ross
03/21/2006 12:53 PM ET
MLB.com

CINCINNATI -- The Cincinnati Reds today acquired C David Ross from the San Diego Padres in exchange for RHP Bobby Basham.
Ross, 29, has spent parts of the last four seasons in the majors with Los Angeles (2002-04), Pittsburgh (2005) and San Diego (2005). Last season with the Pirates and Padres, he batted a combined .240 with 3 HR and 15 RBI in 51 games.

He was batting .529 (9-for-17) with 3 HR and 7 RBI for the Padres this spring.

Basham, 26, was selected by the Reds in the seventh round of the 2001 First-Year Player Draft. He went 22-22 with a 3.55 ERA in 57 starts over four minor-league seasons.

To make room for Ross on the 40-man roster, RHP Jason Standridge was designated for assignment. Standridge was 0-0 with an 11.57 ERA in 7 relief appearances for the Reds this spring.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.

BRM
03-21-2006, 03:03 PM
David Ross is what Krivsky considers a "very good defensive catcher"? :help:

Walkerforpres
03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
This trade is pretty pointless. It's for insurance at the catcher position. I don't really think anything involving a trade of LaRue or Valentin should be looked into. It gives Valentin a few more opportunities to play 1B.

......which pretty much guarantees that with the revolving door of Aurilia, Womack, Freel, Hatteburg, Denorfia, Aurilia, Encarnacion, and Valentin, that we'll never, ever have the same starting lineup more than 10 times this year. That's a lot of people to keep happy.

On the plus side, no one is really touching on the fact that Jason Standridge and his 1.74 WHIP is gone. (Albeit, to Louisville, but still) That alone makes me estatic enough to do the Worm.

M2
03-21-2006, 03:04 PM
It's like bad pitcher armageddon this spring. Krivsky may yet DFA or release every single arm DanO ever acquired before the season starts (draft picks excepted).

I'm still not sure what a Krivsky team will look like, but I'm digging that he seems to share my opinion that DanO was a trash collector.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 03:07 PM
It's like bad pitcher armageddon this spring. Krivsky may yet DFA or release every single arm DanO ever acquired before the season starts (draft picks excepted).

I'm still not sure what a Krivsky team will look like, but I'm digging that he seems to share my opinion that DanO was a trash collector.he seems to be doing his own version of trash collecting(white, Hatteberg, Gosling, Ross, etc).

Aronchis
03-21-2006, 03:08 PM
Looks like BB was going to get released as well. I wonder if Josh Hall is next?

RedLegSuperStar
03-21-2006, 03:10 PM
The roster seems to be increasing the number of ill-fitting pieces. I'm waiting for that moment of clarity, when the master stroke is taken and it all falls into place.

I agree, This cluster of infielders and now cluster of catchers isn't making sense. Ross is useless and maybe only good to catch batting practice if that. I know BCast is a fan of the game, but dumping pitching for a scrub is mind numbing.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 03:12 PM
This cluster of infielders and now cluster of catchers isn't making sense. Maybe Wayne is secretly related to the Hunt brothers.

traderumor
03-21-2006, 03:14 PM
he seems to be doing his own version of trash collecting(white, Hatteberg, Gosling, Ross, etc).In a nitpick, White was signed during Kullman part duex

flyer85
03-21-2006, 03:17 PM
Replace White with McCracken.

Gainesville Red
03-21-2006, 03:22 PM
Between Dave Ross and Justin Tordi, maybe the Reds are trying to get all of the former Gators that can't hit. If they trade for Fogg they'll get one that can't pitch.

IslandRed
03-21-2006, 03:32 PM
I haven't figured out the grand pattern yet either, but I'll give Krivsky this, it appears he's just getting started. Contrast that to the previous GM, where after he made a move, we could go back to sleep for a few months not expecting to miss anything.

Sea Ray
03-21-2006, 03:43 PM

I'm still not sure what a Krivsky team will look like, but I'm digging that he seems to share my opinion that DanO was a trash collector.

Very cool post. I echo those sentiments and will add that he's not a big fan of Bowden's favorites either, Wily Mo, Howington and Basham.

Sea Ray
03-21-2006, 03:50 PM
he seems to be doing his own version of trash collecting(white, Hatteberg, Gosling, Ross, etc).

It remains to be seen if these guys are trash but at least admit that he doesn't have much with which to acquire talented players at this point. Be it marketable talent or cash, the where with all is lacking. I'll give him credit for recognizing that what past regimes adored was actually trash. As to whether he can spot talent himself is still undetermined.

CTA513
03-21-2006, 03:51 PM
Basham and a 2.98 ERA doesn't fit in well with the other Reds pitchers. It makes them feel small.:D

I dont know much about him, but it looks like he pitched pretty good last year.

Sarasota (April through June): 3.75 ERA, 50.1 IP, 3 HR, 6 BB, 42 K
Chattanooga (June through September): 2.98 ERA, 51.1 IP, 5 HR, 9 BB, 46 K

Sea Ray
03-21-2006, 03:55 PM
I dont know much about him, but it looks like he pitched pretty good last year.

Sarasota (April through June): 3.75 ERA, 50.1 IP, 3 HR, 6 BB, 42 K
Chattanooga (June through September): 2.98 ERA, 51.1 IP, 5 HR, 9 BB, 46 K

Yet he didn't get much of a sniff from the big league club this Spring. I wonder why? For whatever reason they didn't think much of him

Big Klu
03-21-2006, 04:03 PM
No.

I originally thought that there simply HAD to be a second half of this transaction, thinking "They can't keep three catchers on the 25 man roster can they?"

but....yeah. maybe they can. Much has been made of Narron's reluctance to use Valentin as a pinch hitter and burn through his last catcher, but if they have enough multipositional guys on the bench. Sure, they could keep a third catcher.
We'll see what the next 48 hours bring.

I really think that Ross is simply here as a AAA insurance policy. Much has been made about the Reds' lack of depth at several positions--catcher among them. The best we have at the minor-league level is Dane Sardinha, which isn't much. Miguel Perez may or may not develop. So Dave Ross is acquired to additional AAA depth with some Major-League experience and to provide Sardinha with competition, which isn't a bad thing.

As for Jerry Narron's reluctance to use Javier Valentin as a pinch-hitter--I hope he gets over that. In my vision of the roster, the bench is composed of two lefties--2B Tony Womack and OF/1B Jacob Cruz, two righties--INF Rich Aurilia and OF Chris Denorfia, and one switch-hitter--Valentin--who happens to hit much better from the left side. From the left side, the Reds have a solid lefty PH in Cruz, and a lefty hitter who provides speed in Womack. From the right side, they have someone who is a solid contact hitter with some power and above-average speed in Denorfia, and a veteran hitter with HR pop in Aurilia. The only thing that is missing is a left-handed hitter with HR pop, and that could be Valentin. As for the fear of using the backup catcher and not having anyone else to catch if the game goes extra-innings or if Jason LaRue gets injured/ejected, Scott Hatteberg is already in the game at 1B, and I'm sure he could fill in as an emergency catcher in the late innings if necessary.

Jpup
03-21-2006, 04:05 PM
I really think that Ross is simply here as a AAA insurance policy. Much has been made about the Reds' lack of depth at several positions--catcher among them. The best we have at the minor-league level is Dane Sardinha, which isn't much. Miguel Perez may or may not develop. So Dave Ross is acquired to additional AAA depth with some Major-League experience and to provide Sardinha with competition, which isn't a bad thing.

As for Jerry Narron's reluctance to use Javier Valentin as a pinch-hitter--I hope he gets over that. In my vision of the roster, the bench is composed of two lefties--2B Tony Womack and OF/1B Jacob Cruz, two righties--INF Rich Aurilia and OF Chris Denorfia, and one switch-hitter--Valentin--who happens to hit much better from the left side. From the left side, the Reds have a solid lefty PH in Cruz, and a lefty hitter who provides speed in Womack. From the right side, they have someone who is a solid contact hitter with some power and above-average speed in Denorfia, and a veteran hitter with HR pop in Aurilia. The only thing that is missing is a left-handed hitter with HR pop, and that could be Valentin. As for the fear of using the backup catcher and not having anyone else to catch if the game goes extra-innings or if Jason LaRue gets injured/ejected, Scott Hatteberg is already in the game at 1B, and I'm sure he could fill in as an emergency catcher in the late innings if necessary.

too bad Womack is going to be starting with all that speed that can't get on base. he needs to be a pinch runner, otherwise, he won't find the basepaths.

the dodgers need a catcher badly.

dfs
03-21-2006, 04:11 PM
It's been four years since Hatteberg has been behind the plate. I think we'll see about as much of that as we will see Adam Dunn at first base.

Sardinha's been through waivers before, so he's pretty easy to remove off the 40 man roster. Doubt anybody makes the claim.

That still leaves them either sneaking Ross through waivers and risking wasting Basham or dealing either Valentin or LaRue. Either that or carrying three catchers.

lollipopcurve
03-21-2006, 04:12 PM

The NY Mets REALLY need a catcher (and they already have Valentin's brother).

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 04:17 PM
The only thing that I see in common with all of these players: White, Hatteberg, Aurilia, Womack, Ross, Gosling, et al, and the players traded, Wily Mo and Basham are that they are all inked to 1 yr deals and/or on the 40 man roster, meaning that after this year, there will be a boatload of spots open on the 40 man roster, and most of the players that remain on the 40 man are already signed to set salaries, meaning we have cost certainty with them. So, I'm guessing that the Reds plan on being very active in the F.A market this offseason. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see players that aren't signed long term, and going year to year, or other fodder on the 40 man traded during this year to create more cost certainty and open up more spots on the 40 man.

Heath
03-21-2006, 04:28 PM
The only thing that I see in common with all of these players: White, Hatteberg, Aurilia, Womack, Ross, Gosling, et al, and the players traded, Wily Mo and Basham are that they are all inked to 1 yr deals and/or on the 40 man roster, meaning that after this year, there will be a boatload of spots open on the 40 man roster, and most of the players that remain on the 40 man are already signed to set salaries, meaning we have cost certainty with them. So, I'm guessing that the Reds plan on being very active in the F.A market this offseason. Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see players that aren't signed long term, and going year to year, or other fodder on the 40 man traded during this year to create more cost certainty and open up more spots on the 40 man.

Boy - that's an interesting thought.

It sucks for 2006 - but, hey, it's not like we are used to the suckitude.

Good point RL - Maybe WayneK's a smart man after all.

Big Klu
03-21-2006, 04:47 PM
It's been four years since Hatteberg has been behind the plate. I think we'll see about as much of that as we will see Adam Dunn at first base.

I understand that. What I'm saying is that if a need arises that calls for an emergency catcher, then Hatteberg is the logical choice. It would only be to finish the game in question, as Valentin would then be available for starting duty the next day, if needed.

Big Klu
03-21-2006, 04:49 PM
too bad Womack is going to be starting with all that speed that can't get on base. he needs to be a pinch runner, otherwise, he won't find the basepaths.

Agreed. Womack is best suited as a bench player, particularly as a pinch-runner.

I still have confidence that Ryan Freel is going to be the everyday 2B.

RedLegSuperStar
03-21-2006, 04:55 PM

Arn't they high on Russ Martin and Dioner Navarro?

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 04:58 PM
I'm sensing a LaRue trade to either the Dodgers or the Rockies. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this move...

RedLegSuperStar
03-21-2006, 05:00 PM
The NY Mets REALLY need a catcher (and they already have Valentin's brother).

I don't know why but what about Glavine for Valentin?

An aged.. ok very aged vet to become our 5th starter. Plus would add that extra leadership this team lacks.

Ok you can all kick me in the face

Aronchis
03-21-2006, 05:01 PM
I am sensing that Larue,Freel,Valentin,half of the bullpen,Womack,Aurilla(if possible) possibly Griffey are all going to be traded before the season is out.

RedLegSuperStar
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
I'm sensing a LaRue trade to either the Dodgers or the Rockies. Or maybe I'm just reading too much into this move...

What would either team offer us?

RedLegSuperStar
03-21-2006, 05:03 PM
I am sensing that Larue,Freel,Valentin,half of the bullpen,Womack,Aurilla(if possible) possibly Griffey are all going to be traded before the season is out.

LMAO.. nah.. you thought you woke up and thought the Reds became the Marlins

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 05:25 PM
What would either team offer us?

Ryan Shealy is a promising young 1B in Colorado, but Helton is in his way. We might have to add Votto, but we might be able to get Shealy and MAYBE an arm. LA has a couple arms that might interest us in Perez(we might have to add Milton to balance the salaries) and Seo, plus a 1B in Choi.

Willy
03-21-2006, 05:35 PM
Bobby Basham is a middle reliever at best. No big deal.

Dunner44
03-21-2006, 05:36 PM
Is everyone here forgetting that Hattenburg won't have to play catcher? We have Freel as our Emergency/3rd catcher, no worries there. ;)

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM
What does anyone think about these two options with the Dodgers?

LaRue and Milton for Perez and Choi

or

LaRue for Penny

BRM
03-21-2006, 06:09 PM

or

LaRue for Penny

Where do I sign?

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 06:10 PM

or

LaRue for Penny

Take both. Trade LaRue twice.

cincyinco
03-21-2006, 06:13 PM
Would love it if we got Shealy, I think the kids going to be very good.

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 06:24 PM
Brilliant

REDREAD
03-21-2006, 06:33 PM
I don't see what the big deal is.. Basham was going to be released anyhow.. Surely he wouldn't have made it through waivers if SD was willing to trade for him.

Looks like Wayne decided to cash in Basham for the best he could get. As someone else said, this looks like a junk for junk trade.

KoryMac5
03-21-2006, 06:39 PM
scouting report on Ross per Espn

Ross can turn on mistakes on the inner half, but that's about the extent of his batting prowess. He cannot catch up with above-average heat and has little chance against anything with a wrinkle. Ross went to an 0-2 count in more than 20 percent of his plate appearances last season. On the basepaths, he runs like a catcher, and his hands and feet are not that quick behind the plate. While Ross has adequate arm strength, his throws are often offline.

Superdude
03-21-2006, 06:46 PM
Basham had a good year last year though and is still decently young. Maybe Krivsky just didn't think Basham would ever get his stuff back because this deal just doesn't make sense to me.

Revering4Blue
03-22-2006, 05:47 AM
No mention of Valentin logging some time at first base.

REDS NOTES
Reds add depth at catcher, acquire backstop from Padres

By Hal McCoy

Dayton Daily News

SARASOTA, Fla. The term, "You never have enough pitching," is part of baseball's lexicon, but Cincinnati Reds general manager Wayne Krivsky takes it another step when he says, "You never have enough catching."
Tools

* Print this page
* E-mail this page
* Most popular

Even though Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin were the best tandem catchers in the majors offensively last season, Krivsky acquired another catcher Tuesday and traded a pitcher to get him.

He dealt righthanded pitcher Bobby Basham, 26 and with no major-league experience, to San Diego for 29-year-old catcher David Ross, a guy with 169 games in the majors with San Diego, Pittsburgh and Los Angeles.

Basham, 26, was drafted in the seventh round in 2001 and has battled injuries, missing the entire 2004 season after undergoing shoulder surgery.

"Ross is a very good defensive catcher," said Krivsky. "Nothing is pre-determined on the roster, but the possibility exists of carrying three catchers. That's not an absolute, but we'll have 10 to 11 days to evaluate it."

Ross is a .217 career hitter with 19 homers and 50 RBIs in 424 major-league at-bats and was hitting .529 (9-17) with three homers and seven RBIs for the Padres this spring.

"This was something we were willing to do to acquire a bona fide major-league catcher," Krivsky added. "His strength is defense, but he also has some power. He can handle a pitching staff and throw. Catching is hard to find. We still have (catcher) Dane Sardinha, but he is out of options and we don't know what might happen there."

Wilson's progress

Paul Wilson's slow, plodding progress continued on a positive path Tuesday on a back field at the City of Sarasota Sports Complex.

Wilson pitched three simulated innings, 45 pitches an inning, and after giving up a first-pitch hit to Frank Mennechino, not many balls were squarely hit.

"He is better every time," said team medical director Dr. Tim Kremchek, who performed surgery on Wilson's shoulder rotator cuff surgery June 17. "He is free and easy and says he feels good. The ball is coming out of his hand good and moving good and they weren't whacking him around."

Bullpen coach Tom Hume said Wilson's first inning was OK, but he threw a lot better in the second and third, "And he is coming right along. One day he is going to come out and it all will be there. I've told him he has to concentrate on every pitch and it'll come back faster and to make sure his location is good and he keeps the ball down."

Standridge designated

Relief pitcher Jason Standridge, 2-2 with a 4.06 earned run average in 32 relief appearances last year, was designated for assignment as Krivsky continues to sweep the roster to remove many of the players brought in by former GM Dan O'Brien.

Standridge, 27, is out of options and can take free agency if he clears waivers or take a minor-league assignment with the Reds.

Krivsky released pitchers Josh Hancock, Luke Hudson and Allan Simpson earlier this spring, affording them opportunities to sign with St. Louis, Kansas City and Milwaukee, "And I feel good about that," he said. "This gives Standridge the same opportunity, but I told him I'd like him go to Louisville to be another player in our inventory to draw upon."

Reds nuggets

Ed Smith Stadium was full Tuesday, many seats occupied by Tribe fans, during the Reds' 5-2 loss to the Cleveland Indians ... Brandon Claussen gave up a home run to the second hitter he faced, Ronnie Belliard, but nothing more over five innings ... Former Reds closer Danny Graves pitched a 1-2-3 inning and is slightly ahead of Steve Karsay for the final pitching spot on the Tribe roster. He has had one bad outing and four good ones.

Even though he didn't get to play in the semifinals and finals because Team USA was eliminated, CF Ken Griffey Jr. was named to the World Baseball Classic all-tournament team.

Eric Milton, recovered from his strained right calf, makes his second spring start tonight in Fort Myers against the Twins.

Ron Madden
03-22-2006, 07:03 AM

Waynes World seems to be a very strange place to me right now. :confused:

Just the thought of Krivsky dealing Jason LaRue scares the hell out of me.

I hope I'm wrong but truth is I can't tell a whole lot of difference between DanO and Wayne at this point.

We should not rejoyce just because our GM isn't afraid to make trades. That's silly.

The whole point of making a deal is to recieve something of value in return. I aint seen nothin' yet.

Gallen5862
03-22-2006, 02:32 PM
http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/060321ross.html
Reds Pick Up Third Backstop In Ross
By Jim Callis
March 21, 2006

Though the Reds already had a productive catching tandem in Jason LaRue and Javier Valentin, they added a potential third catcher to the mix on Tuesday. Cincinnati acquired David Ross from San Diego for righthanded pitching prospect Bobby Basham.

Ross, 29, spent most of last year in the majors with the Pirates and Padres, switching organizations in a July trade for J.J. Furmaniak. He hit .240/.279/.392 with three homers and 15 RBIs in 51 games. He also threw out seven of 13 (54 percent) basestealers. Ross' best tool is his power, and he has decent catch-and-throw skills. He doesn't hit for average because he's overaggressive at the plate, and like most catchers he has well below-average speed. He'll make $500,000 this season and likely will be eligible for arbitration afterward if he spends much time in the majors. Ross is a career .217/.288/.406 hitter with 19 homers and 50 RBIs in 169 career games.

Basham, 26, signed as a 2001 seventh-round pick out of Richmond, where he also served as a backup quarterback. Several Reds officials considered him the system's best pitching prospect after he had a breakout season in 2002, but he subsequently tore his labrum and missed the entire 2004 season. Basham returned last year to go 10-5, 3.36 in 20 starts between high Class A Sarasota and Double-A Chattanooga. He had an 88-15 K-BB ratio in 102 innings, with opponents batting .292 with eight homers against him. Basham, who had a low-90s fastball before his injury, pitched in the high 80s for most of last year but showed increased velocity at season's end. His slider also isn't as good as it once was but could give him an average second pitch. He also has a passable changeup and has no problem finding the strike zone. He has a career 22-22, 3.55 record in 57 minor league starts.

Copyright 2006 Baseball America. All rights reserved.
This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.
Site Map | FAQ/Troubleshooting

VI_RedsFan
03-22-2006, 05:25 PM
The whole point of making a deal is to recieve something of value in return. I aint seen nothin' yet.

So you don't see Arroyo as valuable?

osuceltic
03-22-2006, 05:36 PM

I hope I'm wrong but truth is I can't tell a whole lot of difference between DanO and Wayne at this point.

We should not rejoyce just because our GM isn't afraid to make trades. That's silly.

LaRue ... If Krivsky is as smart as I think he is, I wouldn't be at all surprised to see LaRue traded at some point this season.

Difference between DanO and Krivsky ... You're just not looking. Krivsky brough a legitimate major league starter to the team in less than a month on the job. That's one more than DanO ever did.

Bronson Arroyo may not be your cup of tea, but he has value. We're talking about a legitimate 200-inning major league pitcher with a below-market three-year contract. He's in the prime of his career. To get him for a low-OBP, high-strikeout, terrible defender who has never been a full-time player and has a history of missing long stretches with minor injuries ... seems to me Krivsky did pretty darn well. If all the stars align and Wily Mo becomes Sammy Sosa, I'll still say it was a trade that made sense at the time. But what are the odds of those stars aligning?

Doc. Scott
03-22-2006, 07:19 PM

DanO would never have been able to get Joe Nathan, Boof Bonser, and Francisco Liriano for AJ Pierzynski. (He would have been able to get Pierzynski for Nathan, Bonser, and Liriano, sure.)

If the Reds trade LaRue and can get even two of those three archetypes for him, sign me up yesterday.

Ron Madden
03-23-2006, 04:21 AM
Please believe me, I am A Reds Fan.

Arroyo is now a Cincinnati Red and I'll be right there wishing him the best of luck. If he turns in a season like Harang did last year I'll be Thriiled.

All I'm sayin is I think Wayne pushed the panic button. Sure we all know this club needs pitching but why trade a valuable chip for another number 3 or 4 starter.

I know we need pitching but I believe we could have flipped Wily Mo for more value at the July deadline or during the off season. Would we be that much worse this year with Matt Belisle taking the lumps Arroyo is sure to recieve and keep Dunn at 1b and Wily Mo in LF?

I do hope this deal works out, just have a few doubts. ;)

Gallen5862
03-24-2006, 02:01 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASAp...=.jsp&c_id=cin
Move pending: Reliever Jason Standridge, who was taken off the 40-man roster on Tuesday after Ross was acquired, cleared waivers and was sent outright to Triple-A Louisville. Standridge has three days to accept the assignment or declare himself a free agent.

Gallen5862
03-24-2006, 02:02 PM
I am hoping he will accept the assignment to AAA. The Reds need as much pitching depth as they can find.