PDA

View Full Version : Reds acquire catcher David Ross for pitcher Bobby Basham

ramp101
03-21-2006, 03:06 PM
SARASOTA -- The Reds have acquired catcher David Ross from the Padres in exchange for minor league pitcher Bobby Basham.

Right-hander Jason Standridge was designated for assignment to make room for Ross on the 40-man roster.

linky poo (http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/2006/03/reds-make-another-deal.asp#comments)

Caveat Emperor
03-21-2006, 03:28 PM
Sarasota (April through June): 3.75 ERA, 50.1 IP, 3 HR, 6 BB, 42 K
Chattanooga (June through September): 2.98 ERA, 51.1 IP, 5 HR, 9 BB, 46 K

Alright, I understand he was one of the numerous Reds pitchers on the metaphorical "Road to Recovery" following reconstructive surgery on his arm -- but can someone with a better understanding of the Reds farm system please tell me why they jettisoned a pitcher with almost an 7.7 K/9, walks less than a batter per 9 innings, and gives up UNDER 1 HR/9?

As pitching starved as this organization is, wasn't Basham at least worth keeping, throwing in Triple-A and seeing what happened? Surely the potential value of him continue to perform outweighs grabbing a catcher that seemed destined for the waiver wire (and might still have to hit the waiver wire for the Reds to send him to Louisville)?

I'm confused.

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
World series here we come :cool:

wheels
03-21-2006, 03:37 PM
Could a trade of LaRue or Valentin be looming?

Aronchis
03-21-2006, 03:44 PM
Alright, I understand he was one of the numerous Reds pitchers on the metaphorical "Road to Recovery" following reconstructive surgery on his arm -- but can someone with a better understanding of the Reds farm system please tell me why they jettisoned a pitcher with almost an 7.7 K/9, walks less than a batter per 9 innings, and gives up UNDER 1 HR/9?

As pitching starved as this organization is, wasn't Basham at least worth keeping, throwing in Triple-A and seeing what happened? Surely the potential value of him continue to perform outweighs grabbing a catcher that seemed destined for the waiver wire (and might still have to hit the waiver wire for the Reds to send him to Louisville)?

I'm confused.

Why be confused? The Reds thought Basham was toast and got rid of him.

Cedric
03-21-2006, 03:45 PM
So they trade him for another catcher who can't field or hit. Brilliant.

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 03:46 PM
We love no hit catchers around here.

Kc61
03-21-2006, 03:50 PM

Well, perhaps the alternative was to release Basham and get nothing. You have to open up spots on the minor league teams for prospects and for the veterans you want to keep ready.

Basham had very serious surgery and the Reds probably decided he was through and they wanted to clear him out to make room for others. They were able to get something in return, which is a plus.

Not surprising that this comes right after the release of Howington, whose promise was also undone by injury.

Far East
03-21-2006, 04:01 PM
As per another thread: "Could be that the acquisition of Ross frees Valentin up for more 1B PT."

I'd like to see a switch hitter with some pop, assuming Valentin can approximate his '05 stats -- and I know that's an assumption that others do not agree with -- somewhere in the power-after-cleanup spot in the lineup.

Valentin may even be a serviceable first baseman, if he was given ample time there in the spring to hone his skills.

Red Thunder
03-21-2006, 04:11 PM
Basham is 26 years old and at least one full AAA season from the majors away. This probably cost him the prospect status with the Reds. If you look for example at the Pirates AAA system, you will find more promising AAA starting pitchers which are way younger than Basham:

Burnett 23
VanBenschoten 25
Bullington 25
Gorzelanny, 23
Snell, 24

Also, all of them already had their major league debut with the Pirates.

It seems that the combination of being 26 years old and not yet having reached the majors (plus being seriously injured) makes you expandable these days.

P.S.: Note to the Reds. Try and get one of the above mentioned pitchers in a trade.

RedsManRick
03-21-2006, 04:16 PM
This seems like more of the clearing the chaff out of the system by Krivsky. Ross is merely a way to potentially get some value for a guy who is likely busted long term. For years the Reds system has been plugged by non-prospects. Krivsky looks like he's pretty much of the opinion that you are helping the big league squad or you're a real prospect -- there's just not room for all the tweeners.

It'll be interesting to see how the leaner system looks in 12 months.

Red Thunder
03-21-2006, 04:21 PM
n/m

Far East
03-21-2006, 04:30 PM
David Ross' career offensive stats when computed over a hypothetical 600 AB season show decent power, an indecent not-being-on-base, and a very indecent bunch of K's.

AB HR RBI BB SO OBP SLG

600 26 70 50 192 .288 .406

Let's hope he can play defense.

alexad
03-21-2006, 04:54 PM
The Reds have been dead for some time. I have no problem with some of the house cleaning that is going on in this organization. I just wish we could stay positive and let the new guys do their job.

The last time I checked, there is "No Crying In Baseball"

princeton
03-21-2006, 05:02 PM
we're all set to finally deal Larue for Nathan, Bonser, and Liriano

anyone??

buckeyenut
03-21-2006, 05:19 PM
David Ross' career offensive stats when computed over a hypothetical 600 AB season show decent power, an indecent not-being-on-base, and a very indecent bunch of K's.

AB HR RBI BB SO OBP SLG

600 26 70 50 192 .288 .406

Let's hope he can play defense.

So now the real reason why... we had to replace Wily Mo's Ks!

wheels
03-21-2006, 05:50 PM
we're all set to finally deal Larue for Nathan, Bonser, and Liriano

anyone??

That's what I was getting at.

Redmachine2003
03-21-2006, 07:27 PM
For a team that is starved for pitching throughout the org. this one does not make alot of sense.

Bill
03-21-2006, 07:32 PM
Wayne keeps us busy, at least.

Too bad Basham's shoulder did him in. He was one of the few that looked promising in recent years.

StillFunkyB
03-21-2006, 08:02 PM
I know that WK said "Don't read anything into this", but I think this may lead to a trade of LaRue or Valentin.

TheBigLebowski
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I have no idea what this means.

Many have speculated this move was made to free up Javvy for some more time at first. This could certainly be the case.

Others think a deal involving LaRue or Javvy could be in the offing. Also possible.

Could just be a case of Krivsky wanting something for a guy who he perceives to be nothing. Ross is a useful MLB player - decent bat, and won't embarrass himself behind the plate.

Truth is, it's probably nothing more than a minor roster move with no far-reaching implications.

WebScorpion
03-23-2006, 11:34 AM
It seems that Wayne K. has little patience for pitchers who can bring heat but can't keep it in the strike zone. He's dumping all of them. Hudson, Simpson, the other one (I'm too lazy to look it up (or think much) today), and Basham.

Cedric
03-23-2006, 11:45 AM
Basham is a control pitcher to the max.

WebScorpion
03-23-2006, 12:34 PM
Hey, don't cloud the issue with pesky little details like that! :bang: I guess when I'm being lazy in my research I really shouldn't post. :oops: Sorry.

:dancingco

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 01:14 PM
I don't see this trade as that big a deal, Ross doesn't exactly strike me as starter or even backup material.

Gallen5862
03-24-2006, 12:58 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/news/article.jsp?ymd=20060323&content_id=1360600&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin
Move pending: Reliever Jason Standridge, who was taken off the 40-man roster on Tuesday after Ross was acquired, cleared waivers and was sent outright to Triple-A Louisville. Standridge has three days to accept the assignment or declare himself a free agent.

Gallen5862
03-24-2006, 12:59 PM
I hope Standridge accepts the assignment. We could use the depth in AAA.