PDA

View Full Version : Reds interested in Craig Wilson

OnBaseMachine
03-21-2006, 05:37 PM
It won't allow me to copy and paste the article but here's the link.

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=16342855&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

I would like to have Wilson, however, I still prefer they go after a Shealy, Choi, or Carlos Pena.

BRM
03-21-2006, 05:39 PM
Here is the section talking about Wilson.

Reds eye Wilson

Any chance the Pirates might trade first baseman/outfielder Craig Wilson to Boston for right-hander Matt Clement ended Monday when the Red Sox traded right-hander Bronson Arroyo to the Cincinnati Reds in a trade for left fielder Wily Mo Pena.

Cincinnati is now reportedly eyeing Wilson to play first base with Adam Dunn, uncomfortable in his spring trial at that position, moving back to left. The Reds asked Dunn to learn first base after trading Sean Casey to the Pirates over the winter.

The Atlanta Braves are also a strong possibility to trade for Wilson as they are looking for someone to platoon with left-handed hitting first baseman Adam LaRoche. Atlanta is not likely to part with right-handed pitching prospect Kyle Davies but could trade right-hander John Thomson.

The deal would be close to a financial wash as Thomson has a $3.75-million salary this year while Wilson will make $3.3 million. Thomson also has a club option in his contract for $4.75 million in 2007 that can be bought out for $500,000.

Johnny Footstool
03-21-2006, 05:41 PM
I'd be on board with that, I suppose, even though I think Wilson's defense vs. Dunn's defense is a push. Anything to get Hatteberg out of the everyday lineup.

I'd still rather see Griffey at 1B and Denorfia in CF, though.

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 05:43 PM
I wouldn't mind Wilson. Hey, he's better than Hatteberg at first.

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 05:44 PM
If you're going to spend $3.0M on a first baseman, I'd much rather it be Carlos Pena than Craig Wilson.

If you're going to trade valuable commodities for a first baseman, I'd much rather they trade for Hee Seop Choi or Shealy than Craig Wilson.

In short, I'm not that interested in Craig Wilson for the salary or the players it would cost to acquire him.

Doc. Scott
03-21-2006, 05:46 PM
So what do you offer the Pirates? Jason LaRue? Not sure if I'm interested in that.

Red Leader
03-21-2006, 05:48 PM
So what do you offer the Pirates? Jason LaRue? Not sure if I'm interested in that.

Yeah, after seeing the price the Braves are willing to pay (Thomson), I'm not so sure I wouldn't throw in my cards this hand.

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 05:58 PM
I'd rather go for Wilkerson

flyer85
03-21-2006, 06:02 PM
What is this fascination with catchers?

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 06:03 PM
Our manager was one.

ochre
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM
I think I saw some quote around here that might shine some light on it.

Patrick Bateman
03-21-2006, 06:05 PM

Just because both Hatteberg and Wilson used to be able to catch does not mean that Krivsky has any interest in using them in that role.

Now David Ross is another story. I'm not really sure what his role will be.

redsmetz
03-21-2006, 06:08 PM

Dave Williams? :D

RedsManRick
03-21-2006, 06:09 PM
I think we might have a spare left handed starter who is bouncing back from an injury... Dave Williams for Craig Wilson!

flyer85
03-21-2006, 06:12 PM
I assume the main reason to trade Wilson is they don't want to pay $3M+ for a reserve.

cincyinco
03-21-2006, 06:25 PM
Give me a break, Wilson is no reserve..

http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/6642

and if he is, i'll take him.

Danny Serafini
03-21-2006, 06:37 PM
Our manager was one.

Heck, the last four were. We're catcher obsessed.

PTBNL
03-21-2006, 06:40 PM
Catchers make good managers. Look at how many have one a World Series.

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 06:51 PM
If you guys don't want to deal LaRue for Wilson, how would you feel about Valentin for Wilson? I know the Bucs want a pitcher for Craig, but they need catching too.

TC81190
03-21-2006, 06:58 PM
I'd rather go for Wilkerson

That's exactly what I was thinking today. He'd be excellent.

Tommyjohn25
03-21-2006, 06:59 PM
I'd do Valentin for Wilson, if that's the deal on the table...pull the trigger. I like Wilson.

Raisor
03-21-2006, 07:45 PM
Wilson's career OPS is 20 points higher then Casey's.

He K's a ton, but I say, the more the merrier.

Team Clark
03-21-2006, 07:52 PM
I'd be on board with that, I suppose, even though I think Wilson's defense vs. Dunn's defense is a push. Anything to get Hatteberg out of the everyday lineup.

I'd still rather see Griffey at 1B and Denorfia in CF, though.

Why not Jr. in LF and Denorfia in CF keeping Dunn at 1B? Dunn is a terrible OF with very poor range. Junior would be a phenomenal LF.

PuffyPig
03-21-2006, 07:54 PM
Why not Jr. in LF and Denorfia in CF keeping Dunn at 1B? Dunn is a terrible OF with very poor range. Junior would be a phenomenal LF.
2 problems with that:

1. Dunn doesn't want to play firstbase;
2. Griffey doesn't want to play LF, as he feels it will be harder on his legs.

captainmorgan07
03-21-2006, 07:59 PM
valentin for wilsons is a no brainer

marcshoe
03-21-2006, 08:03 PM
A couple of months ago on this board, I suggested Valentin for Wilson after listening to KDKA. I decided at the time that it wasn't likely because of Wilson's salary.

'course, you know the way teams like to bring back players who started their career with the team? The Pirates are weak at second base. Seems the Reds might throw in a certain aging second baseman who used to play for the Pirates....

captainmorgan07
03-21-2006, 08:14 PM
he will be in a reds uniform by tommororw or the next day mark my words

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 08:18 PM
he will be in a reds uniform by tommororw or the next day mark my words

I wouldn't doubt that. Put me on the Valentin and Womack for Wilson bandwagon!!

Team Clark
03-21-2006, 08:18 PM
2 problems with that:

1. Dunn doesn't want to play firstbase;
2. Griffey doesn't want to play LF, as he feels it will be harder on his legs.

True, and I agree whole heartedly. I was just curious why that scenario was not brought up.

captainmorgan07
03-21-2006, 08:29 PM
womack going out would be a blessing

Red Heeler
03-21-2006, 08:31 PM
If Krivsky could convince the Pirates to take a package of the Reds pitching suspects (or any other spare parts for that matter) I'd be all for the deal. I really like Wilson's game and would like to have him on the team. However, when it comes to Valentine or Larue, there have at least been rumors of teams willing to part with real, live, starting pitching prospects for them. Let's keep the eyes on the prize.

reds44
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
If you're going to spend $3.0M on a first baseman, I'd much rather it be Carlos Pena than Craig Wilson.

If you're going to trade valuable commodities for a first baseman, I'd much rather they trade for Hee Seop Choi or Shealy than Craig Wilson.

In short, I'm not that interested in Craig Wilson for the salary or the players it would cost to acquire him.
I concur.

You could get by with Hatteberg and Carlos Pena. That would be better then probably having to trade a pretty decent player/prospect for Wilson.

redsfan30
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
I'm all for getting Craig Wilson in here as he would be a marked upgrade over Scott Hatteberg at first base.

I think I'd give up Valentin, one of the middle infielders and a low level prospect for him.

Maybe this is the reason Tony Womack has played so much this spring. Could they be showcasing him?

reds44
03-21-2006, 08:34 PM
I'd do Valentin for Wilson, if that's the deal on the table...pull the trigger. I like Wilson.
Ok if you could get by with that I would do it. Trading for a ctacher today does seem to set something up.

Krivs is wheeling and dealing.

reds44
03-21-2006, 08:37 PM
I'm all for getting Craig Wilson in here as he would be a marked upgrade over Scott Hatteberg at first base.

I think I'd give up Valentin, one of the middle infielders and a low level prospect for him.

Maybe this is the reason Tony Womack has played so much this spring. Could they be showcasing him?
Why would you showcase someone you just traded for?

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 08:39 PM

DanO was the one that traded for Womack, not Kriv. DanO was not around when spring training started.

Wheelhouse
03-21-2006, 08:53 PM
I'd trade LaRue before Valentin: V is younger (by a year, but for catchers it's a big deal) he handles the pitchers better, and it seemed last year every time he was in the lineup at the end there he hit a HR. I also think the Reds are much more likely to trade Larue because of his $$$.

redsfan30
03-21-2006, 08:55 PM
Wayne Krivski/Bob Castellini didn't trade for him. Dan O'Brien/Carl Lindner did.

Newman4
03-21-2006, 09:10 PM
Looking at Craig Wilson's numbers, it appears the Reds just traded a comparable player 5 years younger away. His name was Wily Mo Pena.

Kc61
03-21-2006, 09:16 PM
Reds just got Matt Kata and David Ross. To replace a catcher and a middle infielder who are about to be traded?

redsfan30
03-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Looking at Craig Wilson's numbers, it appears the Reds just traded a comparable player 5 years younger away. His name was Wily Mo Pena.
I haven't looked that closely at the stats to see if this is an acurate statement or not but if it is correct, and we do wind up trading for Craig Wilson then the Pena trade looks even better to me.

You would have kept the offensive numbers the same (assuming Pena and Wilson's numbers are the same), you would have improved the defense by putting Dunn back in the field, putting Wilson at first and subtracting Pena's adventures in the field and you improved the pitching all in the span of two days. Plus if Tony Womack were involved in a deal for Wilson it's just all the better.

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 09:18 PM
Wilson can play the OF and 1B well, also catch in a pinch...Wily Mo can....DH.

Kc61
03-21-2006, 09:21 PM
Wilson's career OBP is 60 points higher than WMP.

maniem
03-21-2006, 09:40 PM
This does seem to make sense. The Bucs would welcome Valentin's offense at the catcher's spot, he seems like he would be an upgrade to anything they have right now. Throw in Womack and maybe some low level prospect, and I would be more than happy. That means the Reds would have given up Wily Mo, Valentin, and Womack for Craig Wilson and Arroyo? That doesn't seem bad at all. Would the Pirates do this? One can only hope...

VI_RedsFan
03-21-2006, 09:46 PM
I predict that by tomorrow afternoon, Craig Wilson will be in a Reds uni and Valentin, Womack will be in Bucs unis. Sounds good to me!

mole44
03-21-2006, 09:53 PM
I predict that by tomorrow afternoon, Craig Wilson will be in a Reds uni and Valentin, Womack will be in Bucs unis. Sounds good to me!

If you're right...I'll buy you a beer, cause that would make my day!:beerme:

redsfan30
03-21-2006, 09:55 PM
So if a deal involving Womack and Valentin for Craig Wilson would happen and it moves Freel into secondbase, the lineup would look something like this:

1. Ryan Freel 2B
2. Felipe Lopez SS
3. Ken Griffey, Jr. CF
4. Adam Dunn LF
5. Craig Wilson 1B
6. Austin Kearns RF
7. Edwin Encarnacion 3B
8. Jason LaRue C

1. Aaron Harang
2. Brandon Claussen
3. Bronson Arroyo
4. Eric Milton
5. Dave Williams

How would this potential move effect the feelings of those who didn't like the Pena deal?

Heath
03-21-2006, 09:57 PM
If VI's right - Krono buys the first round at the RedsZone gathering.

Shaknb8k
03-21-2006, 09:58 PM
Are people hearing things or is just this pure speculation?

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 10:00 PM
If VI's right - Krono buys the first round at the RedsZone gathering.
:thumbup:

UPRedsFan
03-21-2006, 10:10 PM
I see the OBP numbers for Wilson and don't really know for sure but his defense is probably better than Hatteberg. But why would we trade Valentin for anything but pitching prospects? We've been over this before... enough offense, not enough pitching. I can't really get excited that Wilson helps that much. Maybe Valentin and Womak for Gorzelanny or Bullington? or maybe we throw another player in for Wilson and a pitching prospect? That I could get excited about.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 10:15 PM
Why not Jr. in LF and Denorfia in CF keeping Dunn at 1B? Dunn is a terrible OF with very poor range. Junior would be a phenomenal LF.That's what I've been suggesting. Won't happen, makes too much sense.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
I predict that by tomorrow afternoon, Craig Wilson will be in a Reds uni and Valentin, Womack will be in Bucs unis. Sounds good to me!I fail to see why the Bucs would have an interest in Womack.

flyer85
03-21-2006, 10:18 PM
Are people hearing things or is just this pure speculation?the latter

Doc. Scott
03-21-2006, 10:21 PM
I've been trying to figure out how much Kriv hearts the Latin Love Machine. While Valentin came up in the Twins organization and was quite the prospect for several years there, he also played like crap and ended up losing out to a fading Terry Steinbach and was traded to Tampa Bay.

My thought was that he also might not dig LaRue's erratic hands and defense and be eager to ship him off.

Given the Dave Ross thing, he's obviously not fazed by catcher strikeouts if they have power.

It's all quite the puzzle.

marcshoe
03-21-2006, 10:24 PM
the latter

I may have been the first person to mention Womack. If so, it was less than speculation; it was wishful thinking. Absolutely nothing behind it. I was just repeating something I said a couple of months ago.

Cedric
03-21-2006, 10:27 PM
I've been trying to figure out how much Kriv hearts the Latin Love Machine. While Valentin came up in the Twins organization and was quite the prospect for several years there, he also played like crap and ended up losing out to a fading Terry Steinbach and was traded to Tampa Bay.

My thought was that he also might not dig LaRue's erratic hands and defense and be eager to ship him off.

Given the Dave Ross thing, he's obviously not fazed by catcher strikeouts if they have power.

It's all quite the puzzle.

My thoughts exactly on Larue. I don't think Wayne is gonna like watching Larue behind the dish.

Tommyjohn25
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
The more I think about this (potential) deal, the more it excites me. Go Krivsky go!

kyred14
03-21-2006, 10:30 PM
Wilson for Valentin and Woemack makes me salivate. Not holding my breath, I haven't seen a non-intierm Reds GM makes a good move in a long time.

MikeS21
03-21-2006, 10:31 PM
Hey, why not just trade Dave Williams for that 1B the Pirates have. What's his name ... Sean something? I'm pretty sure his last name starts with a "C." :p:

Tommyjohn25
03-21-2006, 10:35 PM
Hey, why not just trade Dave Williams for that 1B the Pirates have. What's his name ... Sean something? I'm pretty sure his last name starts with a "C." :p:

:laugh: