PDA

View Full Version : President Bush to Throw First Pitch on OD

RedsIn07
03-21-2006, 07:51 PM
From Marc Lancaster's Blog:
http://frontier.cincinnati.com/blogs/spring/

Bush to attend Opening Day

SARASOTA -- President Bush will be on hand when the Reds open their 2006 season.

As you can read in the full story (http://news.cincypost.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060321/SPT05/603210388) on CincyPost.com, Bush will throw out the ceremonial first pitch before the Reds' game against the Cubs on April 3 at Great American Ball Park.

It's no surprise Bob Castellini could convince the president to attend. The two are on a first-name basis and have known each other since their days in the Texas Rangers ownership group.

MWM
03-21-2006, 08:00 PM
Grrrrrrrrreeaaaaaaaatttt! This has nothing to do with any negative feelings about the President, but that just means security is going to be incredibly tight that I better plan on moving up my ETA a couple of hours. More hassle than it's worth.

creek14
03-21-2006, 08:01 PM
That's going to make for some traffic nightmares and probably metal detectors and sniffers at the gates.

Joseph
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
I'm very glad I'm staying the night before now.

max venable
03-21-2006, 08:04 PM
i think it's kinda cool. I've never been near a US President before. I like the idea of seeing him in person.

Plus...I planned to be there early anyway.

Caveat Emperor
03-21-2006, 08:22 PM
I wonder if he can hit his own approval rating on the gun.

:evil:

kbrake
03-21-2006, 08:24 PM
Just be sure Cheney isnt holding the gun

KronoRed
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
Just be sure Cheney isnt holding the gun
http://lastperson.suncircle.org/Smileys/default/268345.gif

WMR
03-21-2006, 08:32 PM
therez probly only about a half dozen or so major league cities wher he can go w\o being boooed

RBA
03-21-2006, 08:45 PM
This is good news. Maybe ESPN will pick up the game now for us out-of-towners? Of course I'll have the mute button handy.

Falls City Beer
03-21-2006, 08:47 PM
therez probly only about a half dozen or so major league cities wher he can go w\o being boooed

Yez. Or hizzed.

KearnsyEars
03-21-2006, 09:00 PM
This is awesome. Reason enough for me to pay up for a ticket!

captainmorgan07
03-21-2006, 09:57 PM
maybe it will be on tv

StillFunkyB
03-21-2006, 09:59 PM
Why does this not surprise me one bit?

I don't have a problem with it, but I just figured he would be doing it.

PTBNL
03-21-2006, 10:09 PM
This is good news. Maybe ESPN will pick up the game now for us out-of-towners? Of course I'll have the mute button handy.

Dodgers/Braves already got it. :angry:

RBA
03-21-2006, 10:17 PM
Dodgers/Braves already got it. :angry:

How about ESPN2 or an ESPN ALT?

beb30
03-21-2006, 10:28 PM
I saw him when he came to GABP for the Republican Rally and it was a pretty neat thing. He was actually supposed to do this in 2003 when we first opened GABP, he couldn't do it so his dad stepped in. He'll get a standing ovation

redsfan30
03-21-2006, 10:29 PM
Any rumors floating around as to who will sing the National Anthem? I'm guessing with this being Bob Castellini's first Opening Day he's going to want to go with a famous singer to go along with George Bush throwing out the first pitch.

kbrake
03-21-2006, 10:32 PM
Very, very few will boo. I will be in attendance with my father and much like when VP Cheney did the first pitch a few years ago we will sit in silence. Dont think this is the venue to boo, and to those who do thats their decision.

realreds1
03-21-2006, 10:34 PM
Any rumors floating around as to who will sing the National Anthem? I'm guessing with this being Bob Castellini's first Opening Day he's going to want to go with a famous singer to go along with George Bush throwing out the first pitch.

Ashcroft. :devil:

alex trevino
03-21-2006, 11:02 PM
It will be interesting to see how the crowds reacts. I remember in September 1992 they put Papa Bush on the big screen at Cinergy and he was booed loudly. Thats when I knew the election was over.

max venable
03-21-2006, 11:29 PM
I thought political threads weren't allowed anymore. ;)

By the way... I thought I read somewhere that there was only ONE major city (urban area) in the U.S. that Bush won during the last election...

you guessed it...CINCINNATI. The 'nati is a Bush town, baby!

Reds Fanatic
03-22-2006, 12:26 AM
How about ESPN2 or an ESPN ALT?ESPN2 has the Red Sox/Rangers on opening day and ESPN has the Mets/Nationals and Dodgers/Braves. We may be one of the alternate feeds. The game will be on WGN. So everyone out of town should be able to see it on WGN.

03-22-2006, 02:24 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if The Dixie Chicks or Springsteen or Mellencamp were singing the anthem?:)

Jpup
03-22-2006, 03:28 AM
I still need tickets. 2 or 3 would be great. :)

savafan
03-22-2006, 03:36 AM
Very, very few will boo. I will be in attendance with my father and much like when VP Cheney did the first pitch a few years ago we will sit in silence. Dont think this is the venue to boo, and to those who do thats their decision.

Couldn't agree more. :thumbup:

Ron Madden
03-22-2006, 05:55 AM
I wasn't too far away from Gerald Ford on Opening Day 1974. Redd Foxx was also near by.

Hank Aaron lined a Billingham pitch over the LF wall to tie Babe Ruth @ 714 HRs that day. :)

RBA
03-22-2006, 10:25 AM
Wouldn't it be ironic if The Dixie Chicks or Springsteen or Mellencamp were singing the anthem?:)

I see Mushroomhead has a concert on April 2nd in Cincinnati, maybe he/she will be singing the anthem on opening day. ;)

Puffy
03-22-2006, 11:21 AM
I heard FoxNews will now be showing the game.

:ughmamoru

smith288
03-22-2006, 12:32 PM
I appreciate the tone in this thread.

Im a Bush supporter (with a few exceptions such as budget and border control) but I know there are many here who loathe the Dubya.

I like how this thread is going...humorus and light.

Good for all!

And in the spirit of the thread...

Dont let Bush pursuade Cast about any Dubai talents...

Red Rover
03-22-2006, 04:43 PM
I hope Bush pitches a complete game.

MWM
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
He might be the best pitcher that takes the mound that day.

Johnny Footstool
03-22-2006, 04:53 PM

Toby Keith. Or C.S. Lewis, Jr.

Matt700wlw
03-22-2006, 04:55 PM
At least he throws better than Kerry.... :D

Chip R
03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
Toby Keith. Or C.S. Lewis, Jr.

Bronson could do it and they wouldn't even have to pay him. It'd be like on that old Solid Gold show when Adrian Zmed was not only the host but the musical guest.

M2
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Why not have the Prez sing the national anthem? He could start off by apologizing for his lack of singing skills and ask everyone to help him out. People probably would. It might be a little hokey, but it would probably make for good PR (just don't forget the words).

Anyway, Papa Bush spoke at my college graduation and we were warned not to toss our mortarboards and that snipers would take us out if we did. Which leads me to the question of how many peanut vendors go down on opening day?

Chip R
03-22-2006, 05:01 PM
Why not have the Prez sing the national anthem? He could start off by apologizing for his lack of singing skills and ask everyone to help him out. People probably would. It might be a little hokey, but it would probably make for good PR (just don't forget the words).

Anyway, Papa Bush spoke at my college graduation and we were warned not to toss our mortarboards and that snipers would take us out if we did. Which leads me to the question of how many peanut vendors go down on opening day?

If the peanut vendors cannot toss their peanuts, then the terrorists have won.

KittyDuran
03-22-2006, 05:13 PM
I don't remember too much of a hassle when Cheney was at OD last year - but I parked at the Levee and ate at Dewey's Pizza, then strolled across the bridge after the anthem (IIRC).

Highlifeman21
03-22-2006, 11:03 PM
Two Words:

Nick Lachey

Falls City Beer
03-22-2006, 11:09 PM
Or C.S. Lewis, Jr.

Nice. Maybe they'll blow up the moon. (Just a reference to a skit, not a political message. Calm down, people)

pedro
03-22-2006, 11:31 PM
I just hope he doesn't tell us that the Reds are turning the corner.

alex trevino
03-23-2006, 12:18 AM
Maybe the whitehouse advance staff will dust off and unfurl the "Mission Accomplish" Banner.:lastyear:

alex trevino
03-23-2006, 12:19 AM
Maybe the whitehouse advance staff will dust off and unfurl the "Mission Accomplish" Banner.::laugh:

djsauter
03-23-2006, 11:12 AM
I will boo him.

Loudly.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 11:17 AM
I don't remember too much of a hassle when Cheney was at OD last year - but I parked at the Levee and ate at Dewey's Pizza, then strolled across the bridge after the anthem (IIRC).
That was two years ago....2004.

scounts22
03-23-2006, 12:11 PM
Two Words:

Nick Lachey

Please yes. That'd be an extra special treat for us ladies! :D

KittyDuran
03-23-2006, 01:26 PM
That was two years ago....2004.Oops, sorry...:redface: No wonder it wasn't a hassle...;)

PTBNL
03-23-2006, 03:48 PM
How about ESPN2 or an ESPN ALT?

FSN Ohio already has it, but one can only hope.

reds1869
03-23-2006, 04:47 PM
I've had the honor of playing in bands both for Presidents Clinton and Bush. Clinton's speech was better, but Bush fed me way better food and paid me more money. Security was a major league nightmare, even pre-September 11th.

I don't care for W's politics one bit, but I respect his office and anyone who doesn't think it is cool to have a sitting president throw out the first pitch is crazy. I will applaud him quietly; no need to make a political scene at local baseball's biggest celebration.

smith288
03-24-2006, 12:45 PM
I will boo him.

Loudly.
How very big of you...

KittyDuran
03-24-2006, 02:18 PM
I will boo him.

Loudly.I won't - but I will be like kbrake and will sit in silence. I'm sure the President will notice...;)

smith288
03-24-2006, 02:47 PM
You know you will want to see if he throws a strike or not... cmon, admit it. No silent protest can overcome a baseball fans urge to see if the sitting president can pipe one in from the full distance (no wussy short cuts)

macro
03-24-2006, 02:51 PM

The Directv onscreen guide indicates that the game will be shown on WGN.

Chip R
03-24-2006, 02:52 PM
You know you will want to see if he throws a strike or not... cmon, admit it. No silent protest can overcome a baseball fans urge to see if the sitting president can pipe one in from the full distance (no wussy short cuts)

If he can throw a strike, I say he automatically becomes our 5th starter. Of course Dusty might try to sign him first since he's 59 years old. ;)

Roy Tucker
03-24-2006, 03:06 PM
The big question is, will he throw the yakker or bring the heat?

FWIW, I was a long-haired hippie at the '70 AS game at Riverfront and booed Richard Nixon long and hard. And about got beat up for it. "We don't like your kind around here, boy".

Newman4
03-24-2006, 03:33 PM
I will boo him.

Loudly.

I hope everyone else does as well. Worse that Danny Graves.:mooner:

Mr Red
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Whether or not you agree with his politics please don't boo the President. I applaud those who sit in silent....that is much more appropriate. Booing the prez in front of the national media would almost be as embarrasing as dating the hottest chick in school, and when she came to your house to meet the family, the first person to greet her would be Cousin Eddy from National Lampoon fame. Cincy is classier town than that.

KronoRed
03-24-2006, 03:56 PM
Macro is that actually your tag? :D

macro
03-25-2006, 03:40 AM
Macro is that actually your tag? :D

Nah, I made it here:

http://www.acme.com/licensemaker/

Pretty cool, huh? And while you're there, fool your friends with the church sign generator...

http://www.churchsigngenerator.com/

KronoRed
03-25-2006, 04:06 AM
:lol:

Thanks for the link :)

LawFive
03-26-2006, 11:43 AM
Just one little, teeny tiny, kinda off-topic request: Please leave at least one parking spot downtown for someone who has to work and can't go to the game. I should be rolling in sometime around 7 and hopefully lot D will still be open. Thanks. :)

redsfan30
03-26-2006, 11:57 AM
Just one little, teeny tiny, kinda off-topic request: Please leave at least one parking spot downtown for someone who has to work and can't go to the game. I should be rolling in sometime around 7 and hopefully lot D will still be open. Thanks. :)
You mean people actually work in downtown Cincinnati on Opening Day?

Chip R
03-26-2006, 12:24 PM

Blasphemy!

TOBTTReds
03-26-2006, 12:27 PM
Didn't GWB throw a strike last year at the Nationals game? For all of you talking about booing or standing quietly, I will be sitting quietly, probably with a beer in my hand, in front of my tv at home :cry:

Still need a ticket.

redsfan30
03-26-2006, 01:18 PM
For all those who want to boo,

Without turning this thread even more political than it is, let's not turn Opening Day into a political forum. You can like/dislike President Bush all you want because that's your right. But Opening Day is for celebrating Reds baseball and beginning of a new season.

Let's just enjoy the day and not make the least political event of the year a political event.

TOBTTReds
03-26-2006, 03:03 PM
For all those who want to boo,

Without turning this thread even more political than it is, let's not turn Opening Day into a political forum. You can like/dislike President Bush all you want because that's your right. But Opening Day is for celebrating Reds baseball and beginning of a new season.

Let's just enjoy the day and not make the least political event of the year a political event.

I completely agree with you...but it became a political event when the Reds invited him here.

KronoRed
03-26-2006, 04:06 PM
/\ Agreed.

If people wanna boo let em..the Reds knew that it might happen when they asked him.

KittyDuran
03-26-2006, 04:32 PM
/\ Agreed.

If people wanna boo let em..the Reds knew that it might happen when they asked him.If Clinton had made an OD appearance - what kind of reception do you think that he would have got? ;)

I seriously doubt there will be too many boos - hopefully most of us who are not fond of the President will sit quietly [we'll be outnumbered anyway...;) ]

LawFive
03-26-2006, 04:47 PM

Well, we show up. Some work less than others...:thumbup:

Blimpie
03-26-2006, 06:39 PM
I have seen threads closed for far less than this banter....just sayin'

KittyDuran
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
I have seen threads closed for far less than this banter....just sayin'Yep, close it... the President will throw out the first pitch on OD and that's it...

KronoRed
03-26-2006, 06:44 PM
Aww I wanted to see some mud flinging :(

;)

kbrake
03-26-2006, 09:00 PM
I dont mind if others boo, I just dont plan on it. One more thing, after 9/11 Bush threw a perfect strike at Yankee stadium before game 3 of the World Series if I remeber correctly.

savafan
03-26-2006, 09:49 PM
I dont mind if others boo, I just dont plan on it. One more thing, after 9/11 Bush threw a perfect strike at Yankee stadium before game 3 of the World Series if I remeber correctly.

Yep, it's on my 2001 WS DVD. Great series.

kbrake
03-26-2006, 09:51 PM
Yeah Sava, I have that same dvd. Great to put in every once in awhile, amazing series.

redsfan30
03-26-2006, 10:16 PM
Like Bush or not, that was a moment that sent chills down my spine. Just weeks after 9-11 with the threat of terrorism on everyone's mind, Bush steps on the mound of the most hallowed baseball grounds there are in the city that just experienced a tragedy like some have never seen and what does he do? Fires a perfect strike to that catcher.

Kinda like he said "take that terrorists!"

Great moment.

George Foster
03-26-2006, 11:32 PM
I appreciate the tone in this thread.

Im a Bush supporter (with a few exceptions such as budget and border control) but I know there are many here who loathe the Dubya.

I like how this thread is going...humorus and light.

Good for all!

And in the spirit of the thread...

Dont let Bush pursuade Cast about any Dubai talents...

Here, Here!!!

No one hates Clinton more than me but I would never boo him in public. He's our President, he deserves our respect. I would bet my house that Larue will catch the pitch by the President (if he's still on the team) he's a big supporter of Bush. If Larue is traded, Bench will catch the pitch.

biggestREDSfan
03-26-2006, 11:49 PM
For the city of Cincinnati and the Cincinnati Reds I feel honored that the President of the United States will be here to throw out the first pitch! :usa:

Caseyfan21
03-27-2006, 12:54 AM

Yeah, this was the first thing I thought of when I saw all of this. If I remember correctly, he was wearing a bullet proof vest as is normal for a President throwing out a first pitch in such a large setting. He could hardly throw the ball so he was planning on throwing it from just inside the mound on the edge of the dirt like most ceremonial pitches. As I recall, Derek Jeter met him in the dugout on his way out and told him he had to go from the rubber for the crowd and what the people of New York had been through so he did it, pretty cool story but I cannot find a link to it.

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned but remember he was supposed to throw out the first pitch in the first game at GABP. The week before OD was the start of the Iraq war so his father threw it out instead.

Also, a little off topic for this thread, but has the National Anthem singer been announced yet? Just curious who it was going to be.

1 week till Opening Day in only 7 minutes....:beerme:

Chip R
03-27-2006, 01:44 AM
Also, a little off topic for this thread, but has the National Anthem singer been announced yet? Just curious who it was going to be.

1 week till Opening Day in only 7 minutes....:beerme:
I think it is going to be local jazz singer Kathy Wilson.

I think everyone has had their say about where they stand on Bush throwing out the first pitch. I think everyone has behaved themselves but I think we need to move on. Please feel free to talk about any other Opening Day ceremonies in this thread but it will be closed if it reverts back to the President.

savafan
03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
I am curious, have they announced who the grand marshall will be this year for the downtown parade?

RBA
03-27-2006, 10:47 AM
I am curious, have they announced who the grand marshall will be this year for the downtown parade?

Soto to lead Reds parade
ENQUIRER STAFF REPORTS
Legendary Cincinnati Reds Hall of Famer Mario Soto will be Grand Marshall of the 87th Findlay Market Opening Day Parade, officials announced today.

Soto spent his entire 12-year career in Cincinnati. He was named the Redsí Most Outstanding Pitcher in 1980 and, from 1981 to 1985, had more strikeouts than any Major League pitcher, including a club record 274 in 1982, said Mr. Neil Luken, parade chairman.

Soto was the Redís opening pitcher on Opening Day five straight years, 1982 through 1986, and set a club record with four opening day wins.

This yearís Findlay Market Opening Day Parade begins at the Race Street entrance of historic Findlay Market, located on Elder Street in Over-the Rhine, and proceeds south on Race Street to Central Parkway.

To accommodate Fountain Square construction, this year the parade will bear east (left) on Central Parkway to Main Street. It will turn south (right) onto Main Street, and proceed to Fifth Street.

The Parade will turn east (left) onto Fifth Street and end at Fifth and Broadway.
http://news.enquirer.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060320/NEWS01/303200015

paulrichjr
03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
I completely agree with you...but it became a political event when the Reds invited him here.

Actually I disagree with this. Presidents throwing out the first pitch for a season is a tradition in baseball. Baseball loves tradition more than anything else. I am frankly very excited about Bush throwing out the first pitch (I will be there) and I would be the same if President Clinton was throwing it out while he was Prez.

Some interesting Presidential Facts/Baseball Facts

http://www.baseball-almanac.com/firsts/prz_1st.shtml

04-14-1910 President William H. Taft threw out the first season Opening Day pitch to Walter Johnson.

05-07-1912 President William H. Taft is the first President to see a major league game in his own hometown (Cincinnati).

Chip R
03-27-2006, 03:55 PM
OK. Don't say you weren't warned.