PDA

View Full Version : Our #6 prospect is AWOL

reds44
03-22-2006, 01:00 AM
Marc-

SARASOTA -- Right-hander Rafael Gonzalez, the Reds' No. 6 prospect entering the season according to Baseball America, has been gone from camp for a couple of weeks now, and the Reds have no idea when or if he'll return.

"He just came up missing," farm director Johnny Almaraz said. "One morning, all his stuff was gone."

The Reds believe Gonzalez is at home working out some personal issues, but he hasn't contacted them.

"We’re empathetic and sympathetic towards that," said Almaraz, "but it’s pretty tough to try to help somebody when there’s no communication."

Right now, the Reds are basically waiting to see what happens. There's no denying Gonzalez's stuff, which front-office types have raved about since he made his debut in the GCL a couple of years ago, but the Reds have not been pleased with his lack of discipline.

Got something a little more in-depth on this in my notebook in tomorrow's Post, but since I'm poking around at a few things tonight, I thought I'd give you a preview.

jmcclain19
03-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Overweight AND a mental case.

Great stuff DanO.

And if he's the 6th best chance the Reds have in the minors to be a usable major leaguer, I'll eat my hat.

KronoRed
03-22-2006, 01:03 AM
Baseball aside I hope he's ok :(

Gallen5862
03-22-2006, 01:09 AM
Hopefully the team can find him and get him some help. I am hopeing he is ok.

TeamBoone
03-22-2006, 12:38 PM
Is there something in the water at ST this year?

These disappearing acts are getting old.

KearnsyEars
03-22-2006, 12:43 PM
Is there something in the water at ST this year?

These disappearing acts are getting old.

Who else dissapeared?

chicoruiz
03-22-2006, 01:35 PM
I've always said that scouting comes down to getting the right answers to two simple questions:

1. What does this kid have to do to become a successful major leaguer?

and

2. How likely is he to actually do it?

When the answer to #2 is something like "add 10mph to his fastball" the answer is pretty clear. But when the answer is something like "grow up mentally and emotionally" it's a little tougher call.

LoganBuck
03-22-2006, 01:44 PM
Why again are high school pitchers a risk?

He had risk of something like this from the beginning. The scouting reports from his high school days questioned his discipline. A broad spectrum scouting service picks up on this, and the Reds who one would assume have done some indepth scouting of a high round draft pick, ignore said risks. Way to go DanO.

KronoRed
03-22-2006, 01:51 PM
Who else dissapeared?
Pokey

LoganBuck
03-22-2006, 02:02 PM
Zach Grienke

corkedbat
03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
Pokey was abducted by Child Welfare. :alien:

NJReds
03-22-2006, 02:21 PM
"One morning, all his stuff was gone."

This seems to happen a lot to our pitchers.

Caveat Emperor
03-22-2006, 02:39 PM
This seems to happen a lot to our pitchers.

My nominee for "Line of the Week" :laugh:

Doc. Scott
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
Gonzalez was drafted rounds lower precisely because he was considered to have "intangible issues". His talent was never in question.

The double-edged sword when you draft talented-but-"troubled" players: some of them shoot themselves in the foot.

lollipopcurve
03-22-2006, 03:41 PM
Almost all 4th-round draft choices fail.

M2
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM
Almost all 4th-round draft choices fail.

True enough, but in general I'd prefer it if they take a few years to do it. Then you might be able to flip them for something.

Anyway, it looks like Gonzalez may be the first guy this season to fall to The Curse of the BA Top 10 List. One down, nine to go.

traderumor
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
Gonzalez was drafted rounds lower precisely because he was considered to have "intangible issues". His talent was never in question.

The double-edged sword when you draft talented-but-"troubled" players: some of them shoot themselves in the foot.
Yup, and I'd take at least one of them every year. I'd say the odds are better that you can teach a talented "troubled" player social skills and work ethic than it is to teach talent to the good citizen. Sometimes you'll get a Gonzalez, or a Chris Henry, other times you'll get an Odell Thurmond.

KearnsyEars
03-22-2006, 05:09 PM
True enough, but in general I'd prefer it if they take a few years to do it. Then you might be able to flip them for something.

Anyway, it looks like Gonzalez may be the first guy this season to fall to The Curse of the BA Top 10 List. One down, nine to go.

yessssss

lollipopcurve
03-22-2006, 05:14 PM

I dunno. Responsible, low-ceiling guys who plod through the system (hello Steve Kelly) don't generally accumulate much trade value.

Raffy looks iffy, but I haven't closed the door on him yet -- neither has Almarez, fortunately (Naehring might have had him arrested by now).

M2
03-22-2006, 05:20 PM
I dunno. Responsible, low-ceiling guys who plod through the system (hello Steve Kelly) don't generally accumulate much trade value.

Well Steve Kelly wasn't exactly what I had in mind as the poster boy for what an alternative pick might look like. You'd have to go outside the Reds system for that.

lollipopcurve
03-22-2006, 05:46 PM
Well Steve Kelly wasn't exactly what I had in mind as the poster boy for what an alternative pick might look like.

Like Raffy, Kelly was a fourth rounder. And if you're looking for guys to stick around and post some decent minor league numbers, Kelly certainly accomplished that.

M2
03-22-2006, 06:01 PM
Like Raffy, Kelly was a fourth rounder. And if you're looking for guys to stick around and post some decent minor league numbers, Kelly certainly accomplished that.

I never thought much of his numbers. Any chance he had of gaining prospect status fizzled in A ball. His AA flourish wasn't enough to erase the notion that he was nothing more than an organizational guy.

By contrast, Lecure is the type of guy who might post some good early numbers and gain a market for himself. He, Zach Ward, James Avery and Jeff Stevens were a pretty nice 3-6 haul - none of the volatility of Gonzalez, but superior talent to Kelly (which, to be fair, is a reflection of it being a much deeper draft).

WebScorpion
03-23-2006, 12:49 PM

Raffy looks iffy, but I haven't closed the door on him yet -- neither has Almarez, fortunately (Naehring might have had him arrested by now).

How about Brady Clark? Of course, his value didn't jump until he became a true Major Leaguer.

REDREAD
03-24-2006, 10:04 AM

Yes, I agree. I actually think Gonzalez was a good 4th round pick.. at that point, every draftee is going to have some warts. I don't mind rolling the dice with a couple guys that have talent but have maturity problems, particularly since our system desparately needs talent. I guess Sargent Naehring wasn't able to straighten him out.