PDA

View Full Version : Teacher's sex charges dropped

savafan
03-22-2006, 03:09 AM
http://www.cnn.com/2006/LAW/03/21/teacher.sex.ap/index.html

ORLANDO, Florida (AP) -- State prosecutors said Tuesday they were dropping charges against a former Tampa teacher accused of having sex with a 14-year-old middle school student.

The decision, announced hours after a judge rejected a plea deal for Debra Lafave, means the victim won't have to testify.

Prosecutors and defense attorneys had urged the judge to accept the deal for the sake of the boy involved. A psychiatrist who examined the teenager told the judge at a previous hearing that the boy suffered extreme anxiety from the media coverage of the case and does not want to testify.

Marion County Circuit Judge Hale Stancil, however, said the lack of prison time for Lafave under the plea deal "shocks the conscience of this court," and he rejected it.

Assistant State Attorney Richard Ridgway, in explaining the decision to drop the charges, said: "The court may be willing to risk the well-being of the victims in this case in order to force it to trial. I am not."

Lafave, 25, already faces three years of house arrest and seven years probation in Hillsborough County, where she was charged with having sex with the same boy in a classroom and her home. She pleaded guilty November 22 to two counts of lewd and lascivious battery under a plea deal there.

In Marion County, she was accused of having sex with the boy in a sport utility vehicle.

Lafave said at a news conference later Tuesday that she has bipolar disorder, and her attorney said she was getting treatment.

"I have a lot of things in my past that have unfortunately become public," Lafave said.

Hillsborough County prosecutor Mike Sinacore has said the victim's family had anticipated a trial, but the media attention prompted the boy's mother to push for a plea deal.

"There is no one that wanted to see Debra Lafave serve jail time more than myself," the boy's mother wrote in an e-mail to the Ocala Star-Banner over the weekend. But she said the welfare of her son was more important.

max venable
03-22-2006, 07:58 AM
For those of you who may have forgotten, this is the teacher:
http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/ccContent/images/debra_lafave_TimBoyles.jpg
:eek: :eek: :eek:

RedFanAlways1966
03-22-2006, 08:02 AM
Do not take this serious! :)

A psychiatrist who examined the teenager told the judge at a previous hearing that the boy suffered extreme anxiety from the media coverage of the case and does not want to testify.

I guess the boy learned a "hard" lesson.

In Marion County, she was accused of having sex with the boy in a sport utility vehicle.

I guess this does not count as after-school extracirricular "sports" activities?

"I have a lot of things in my past that have unfortunately become pubic," Lafave said.

Oops... typo!

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 08:12 AM
I'm sorry, but she's hot.

beb30
03-22-2006, 09:04 AM
This may sound bad, but when i was 14 i was dreaming of stuff like that happening to me, no way id turn a teacher like that in......:devil:

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 09:05 AM
This may sound bad, but when i was 14 i was dreaming of stuff like that happening to me, no way id turn a teacher like that in......:devil:

Yeah, I know what you mean...

Kid: Press charges? Are you blind?

RBA
03-22-2006, 09:07 AM
I'm sorry, but she's hot.

And very whacked. Have you heard the tapes of the phone conversation she had with this boy? She is a child molestor and should be in jail.

Heath
03-22-2006, 09:11 AM
Attention Shoppers - there's a Clorox spill in post #2 -

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 09:15 AM
And very whacked. Have you heard the tapes of the phone conversation she had with this boy? She is a child molestor and should be in jail.

Oh, I'm not arguing that she's not completely insane, and a total psycho who broke the law. I'm just saying that she's physically attractive, and if I had a chance as a 14 year old to hook up a with a teacher that looked like this, I'd have been all over it.

max venable
03-22-2006, 09:20 AM
Oh, I'm not arguing that she's not completely insane, and a total psycho who broke the law. I'm just saying that she's physically attractive, and if I had a chance as a 14 year old to hook up a with a teacher that looked like this, I'd have been all over it.
Allow me, then, to introduce you to Pamela Joan Turner.
http://www.badjocks.com/archive/2005/pamela-joan-turner.jpg
An elementary teacher charged with having a consensual sexual relationship with one of her students, a 13-year-old boy.

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 09:29 AM
Yeah, ummm, no comment. :evil:

*I'm attracted to psychos*

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

beb30
03-22-2006, 09:44 AM

I haven't heard these tapes, could u list a link?

RBA
03-22-2006, 10:15 AM
http://www.tampabays10.com/news/news.aspx?storyid=11077

Chip R
03-22-2006, 10:28 AM
Yeah, ummm, no comment. :evil:

*I'm attracted to psychos*

:runaway: :runaway: :runaway:

I've heard that about you. ;)

beb30
03-22-2006, 10:40 AM

Those comments werent anything that bad she didnt even say anything that was obscene really.......You made it sound like that they were some of the nastiest things you've heard

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 10:46 AM
Would you all feel the same way if it was a "hot" 30-year-old man having sex with a 14-year-old girl?

RBA
03-22-2006, 10:47 AM
Those comments werent anything that bad she didnt even say anything that was obscene really.......You made it sound like that they were some of the nastiest things you've heard

No I didn't mean to sound like it was nasty. Where did you get that idea? I meant she sounds totally immature for her age.

beb30
03-22-2006, 11:08 AM
Would you all feel the same way if it was a "hot" 30-year-old man having sex with a 14-year-old girl?

Ugh hell no, however its a little different with how it is because its every (well every guy i know) fantasy to have a relationship with a hot teacher they have

beb30
03-22-2006, 11:10 AM
No I didn't mean to sound like it was nasty. Where did you get that idea? I meant she sounds totally immature for her age.

Just how your post sounded to me. Anyhow she was only 23 at the time which isn't as bad as its made out to be IMO.

Im 23 now and could easily make the mistake of starting a relationship with a 14 yr old girl without even knowing shes that young. I'm sure some of you have seen the way these girls have physically matured now days, its crazy.

RBA
03-22-2006, 11:17 AM
Just how your post sounded to me. Anyhow she was only 23 at the time which isn't as bad as its made out to be IMO.

Im 23 now and could easily make the mistake of starting a relationship with a 14 yr old girl without even knowing shes that young. I'm sure some of you have seen the way these girls have physically matured now days, its crazy.

Please stay away from my neighborhood. :help:

beb30
03-22-2006, 11:29 AM
Please stay away from my neighborhood. :help:

I think you took it the wrong way, im not saying I would want to, but im saying with the way girls look now days they could lie about their age and say they are 18 when in fact they are actually 14.

I'm sure in some cases guys could do the same thing. Hulk Hogan's son told girls on the show that he was their age (18) when he was in fact 15.

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 11:33 AM
Ugh hell no, however its a little different with how it is because its every (well every guy i know) fantasy to have a relationship with a hot teacher they have

Speaking as a girl, I can tell you that we had those fantasies too. And, you know, if a 23-year-old teacher is having fantasies about someone a few years younger, who may appear physically mature, that's not inherently sick or crazy either. But to act on them, given not only the fact that a minor is involved but that the older person is in a position of power, is wrong no matter the gender breakdown.

I just think there's a double standard in these situations; the "but she's hot" reaction bothers me. Turn the tables. If a good-looking, mature 23-year-old guy teacher had approached me when I was 14, I (or any other young girl) probably would have been flattered by the attention, maybe would have started something with him, perhaps even, as some of you have suggested, have been excited and caught up and "in love" and not said anything. And it would have messed me up forever. Because a 14-year-old girl is not capable of making those decisions or dealing with a situation like that, and any adult who puts her in that situation is taking advantage of someone he knows is vulnerable. It's no different for a 14-year-old boy. Sure, she's hot, and he gets props from his friends and from the macho media for nailing such a babe. And he's severely messed up from then on and will have trouble holding a mature relationship.

beb30
03-22-2006, 11:36 AM
Speaking as a girl, I can tell you that we had those fantasies too. And, you know, if a 23-year-old teacher is having fantasies about someone a few years younger, who may appear physically mature, that's not inherently sick or crazy either. But to act on them, given not only the fact that a minor is involved but that the older person is in a position of power, is wrong no matter the gender breakdown.

I just think there's a double standard in these situations; the "but she's hot" reaction bothers me. Turn the tables. If a good-looking, mature 23-year-old guy teacher had approached me when I was 14, I (or any other young girl) probably would have been flattered by the attention, maybe would have started something with him, perhaps even, as some of you have suggested, have been excited and caught up and "in love" and not said anything. And it would have messed me up forever. Because a 14-year-old girl is not capable of making those decisions or dealing with a situation like that, and any adult who puts her in that situation is taking advantage of someone he knows is vulnerable. It's no different for a 14-year-old boy. Sure, she's hot, and he gets props from his friends and from the macho media for nailing such a babe. And he's severely messed up from then on and will have trouble holding a mature relationship.

Very good post, I agree.

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 11:42 AM
Excellent post, vatican, and one I totally agree with.

Having lived through that stage, I agree with beb30, that it was most likely every young boys dream to be seduced by an older, attractive woman (even teachers). Since I never had that happen, I don't know how it would have effected me emotionally, and in other relationships, later in life. It's still just "fantasy" to me, the reality of it, as you spoke of, is probably not as nice and shiny.

BuckU
03-22-2006, 01:53 PM
This is creepy......I pinky promise

guttle11
03-22-2006, 01:56 PM
Where were all these teachers when I was that age?

traderumor
03-22-2006, 02:12 PM
For those of you who may have forgotten, this is the teacher:
http://www.newstalkzb.co.nz/ccContent/images/debra_lafave_TimBoyles.jpg
:eek: :eek: :eek:fake hair, fake eyelashes, fake eyecolor, fake complexion, not sure about the eyebrows...she's just a total mirage

Heath
03-22-2006, 03:19 PM
Yeah, but that 18 yr old college roomate buddy who hooks up with that 30 yr old chick from a bar - that's totally radtastic.......

BTW - Spot on Vatican - and beb30 can register before he moves into my neighborhood.

beb30
03-22-2006, 03:52 PM
fake hair, fake eyelashes, fake eyecolor, fake complexion, not sure about the eyebrows...she's just a total mirage

First off you don't really know what's fake and what's not, besides that color of blonde looks pretty natural. Second it doesn't matter what's fake and what isn't....doesn't change the fact that shes hot.....

beb30
03-22-2006, 03:53 PM
BTW - Spot on Vatican - and beb30 can register before he moves into my neighborhood.

YOUNGER GIRLS! YAY! :p:

Matt700wlw
03-22-2006, 03:56 PM
She got off...how about that?

:eek:

:D

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:03 PM

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Chip R
03-22-2006, 04:04 PM

From what has been reported, she wasn't the only one. ;)

traderumor
03-22-2006, 04:07 PM
First off you don't really know what's fake and what's not, besides that color of blonde looks pretty natural. Second it doesn't matter what's fake and what isn't....doesn't change the fact that shes hot.....

The hair color, she'd have to be albino. The eyelashes, only bambi's (and jennifer love hewitt's fake ones) are that long. The eye color just is not a natural color for blue eyes. The jury's still out on the perfectly shaped eyebrows. Sorry, I don't think lots of makeup and other accessories to achieve a certain look makes someone "hot," so its not a fact, it is a matter of taste.

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:15 PM
The hair color, she'd have to be albino. The eyelashes, only bambi's (and jennifer love hewitt's fake ones) are that long. The eye color just is not a natural color for blue eyes. The jury's still out on the perfectly shaped eyebrows. Sorry, I don't think lots of makeup and other accessories to achieve a certain look makes someone "hot," so its not a fact, it is a matter of taste.

Um my cousin has identical hair, its natural, and she isn't albino........As for the eye lashes I'm sure some good masscara could take care of that. Her eyes look green to me not blue. And as for your taste, seems to me your the only guy that doesn't think she is "hot":rolleyes:

KronoRed
03-22-2006, 04:19 PM
And as for your taste, seems to me your the only guy that doesn't think she is "hot":rolleyes:
Nope :wave:

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:21 PM
Nope :wave:

Still in the minority count of 2.....

You guys must be old school :D

Matt700wlw
03-22-2006, 04:29 PM
Let's just say......that student did nothing wrong. :)

Heath
03-22-2006, 04:34 PM
I'd vote no on the first look. Sorry. Just doesn't do it for me.

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:37 PM
Sounds like just to officially settle it we need a poll......

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 04:40 PM
Sounds like just to officially settle it we need a poll......

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

I don't know why it's funny that we're going to vote on if we think a pedophile is hot or not, but some reason, right now, it is.

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:43 PM

I don't know why it's funny that we're going to vote on if we think a pedophile is hot or not, but some reason, right now, it is.

:laugh: now that you mention it, it is kind of amusing

redsfan30
03-22-2006, 04:44 PM
Well in the poll, I'd have to give a big old "yes"!

The picture posted on page 1 is bad. She's much better looking than that.

Chip R
03-22-2006, 04:44 PM

http://www.ba.no/multimedia/archive/00108/Michael_Jackson_108752a.jpg

traderumor
03-22-2006, 04:46 PM
Still in the minority count of 2.....

You guys must be old school :DI am old, but in my day girls her age wore much more makeup. I had the same opinion then. Nothing wrong with some makeup, but when an entire look is manufactured...

I looked again at the eyes, and I have trouble with browns sometimes, but not blue. Still, it is just a matter of taste, and the Barbie doll look achieved through chemicals and plastic is just not "hot" to me.

Now, I am married, so any further questions regarding my tastes begin and end with my beloved. :)

traderumor
03-22-2006, 04:47 PM

I don't know why it's funny that we're going to vote on if we think a pedophile is hot or not, but some reason, right now, it is.high five, in a David Putty kind of way.

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:49 PM

Thanks for that, that could quite possibly be the ugliest thing i have ever seen....its not necessary

traderumor
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
Thanks for ruining my appetite :barf:

kbrake
03-22-2006, 04:51 PM
I vote for hot and beb I understand how you cant always judge age on some young girls I know I have seen 15 year old girls that I thought for sure were 18.

Matt700wlw
03-22-2006, 04:52 PM
2 surgeries my ass!!!

beb30
03-22-2006, 04:56 PM
I vote for hot and beb I understand how you cant always judge age on some young girls I know I have seen 15 year old girls that I thought for sure were 18.

Finally, thank you

creek14
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
As the mom of a sooner than I would like to be 14 year old boy, I just have to say if she did that with my child she would be praying to God above that her cute little fanny was locked up to keep her safe from me.

traderumor
03-22-2006, 05:00 PM
I vote for hot and beb I understand how you cant always judge age on some young girls I know I have seen 15 year old girls that I thought for sure were 18.I'm sure the judge will understand. :evil:

kbrake
03-22-2006, 05:36 PM
lol

Johnny Footstool
03-22-2006, 05:57 PM
You've got to wonder if this kid can grow up and have healthy adult relationships after all this.

traderumor
03-22-2006, 07:24 PM
http://anekdota.dyndns.org/jotd26/att-0029/02-snaps_23-year-old-teacher_debra-lafave.jpg

Case closed. :p:

Falls City Beer
03-22-2006, 07:41 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/04/white_chicks,0.jpg

Case reopened.

GAC
03-22-2006, 07:52 PM

Exactly. If this was an adult male and a 14 yr old girl, I wonder if the same results would have came down?

traderumor
03-22-2006, 07:58 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2004/08/04/white_chicks,0.jpg

Case reopened.:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

kbrake
03-22-2006, 10:18 PM
Male high school teacher got 5 yrs in state prison after having sex with a 14 year old girl in Orlando. I believe the guy was 25.

MWM
03-22-2006, 10:33 PM
One of my high school teachers (the assistance wrestling coach) had an affair with a junior and ended up in prison. This happened after I left, so I didn't know the girl, but I knew the coach.

Roy Tucker
03-23-2006, 08:35 AM
One of my HS teachers had a clandestine thing going with a classmate in my senior year.

They eventually got married, had a family, and are still together 36 years later.

I don't think that could happen in this day and age.

smith288
03-23-2006, 12:57 PM
As the mom of a sooner than I would like to be 14 year old boy, I just have to say if she did that with my child she would be praying to God above that her cute little fanny was locked up to keep her safe from me.
No offense but your post sounds like the teacher bound and gagged the dude... I assure you that is not what happened.

I would be insanely disappointed in my son but putting myself in that position when I was 14, you bet your butt I'd be taking part... 14 yr old boys are an entirely different frame of mind than 14 yr old girls.

Not that I agree with what those two did (as every 14 yr old kid knows scoring with the teacher isnt a "good" thing). It was wrong in todays society.

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 02:41 PM
No offense but your post sounds like the teacher bound and gagged the dude... I assure you that is not what happened.

I would be insanely disappointed in my son but putting myself in that position when I was 14, you bet your butt I'd be taking part... 14 yr old boys are an entirely different frame of mind than 14 yr old girls.

Not that I agree with what those two did (as every 14 yr old kid knows scoring with the teacher isnt a "good" thing). It was wrong in todays society.

Your argument would hold true if we were talking about a 14-year-old boy having sex with a 16-year-old girl. A 23-year-old teacher having sex with her 14-year-old student is abuse no matter how you cut it. Does he think so? Probably not. There are a lot of things that kids that age don't know yet. The fact that he is controlled by his hormones makes no difference. What she did isn't right.

beb30
03-23-2006, 02:57 PM
Your argument would hold true if we were talking about a 14-year-old boy having sex with a 16-year-old girl. A 23-year-old teacher having sex with her 14-year-old student is abuse no matter how you cut it. Does he think so? Probably not. There are a lot of things that kids that age don't know yet. The fact that he is controlled by his hormones makes no difference. What she did isn't right.

I don't think Smith288 post was claiming what she did was right. He was simply saying its not as bad as it sounds. No kids that are 14 dont know everything at that age, however you know whats going on in terms of right and wrong. I know the 14 yr old knew that doing what he did with the teacher wasn't right. I believe most 14 yr olds would take up on the offer of a 23 yr old teaher, especially a good looking one.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 03:15 PM
The teacher's actions are indefensible, statutory rape laws recognize the difference in maturity that makes the child a victim, even if he or she is a willing participant. And a 14 year old is a child, though while responsible for actions to some extent, is generally not mature enough to avoid being taken advantage of. A minor is deemed, and rightly so, unable to weigh all the consequences of such actions and is protected by laws.

This falls in the category of things you'd never dream folks would question.

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 03:24 PM
I don't think Smith288 post was claiming what she did was right. He was simply saying its not as bad as it sounds. No kids that are 14 dont know everything at that age, however you know whats going on in terms of right and wrong. I know the 14 yr old knew that doing what he did with the teacher wasn't right. I believe most 14 yr olds would take up on the offer of a 23 yr old teaher, especially a good looking one.

But this brings us back to where we started. It doesn't matter what most 14-year-olds would do in this situation. The whole situation is probably WORSE than it sounds because the teacher is young and hot. It's abusive, no less so than it would be if the teacher were 50 and ugly.

Mods, pull me back if what I'm posting isn't appropriate for this forum, but there are some double standards and misconceptions about child sexual abuse out there. No one is more hated than the male child molester who preys on little girls (or boys, for that matter). And we picture these children as terrified and taken advantage of, which they are. But girls can develop weird relationships with their abusers, even sometimes starting to enjoy it or look forward to it since they are brainwashed into believing that it is a special thing they're sharing -- and girls, contrary to what some of you seem to believe, are sexual beings and take pleasure from the physicality of things too. Add into this the fact that many girls who are put into such situations are, unfortunately, often not getting much attention in other areas of their lives. And then we have a whole EXTRA cycle of guilt that derives from them enjoying this when they know they're not "supposed" to. Abused girls will then even turn around and SEEK OUT similar abusive relationships.

Does any of this make it ok? No. And it is no different for this boy, who has been taken advantage of by someone in a position of power over him. Hot or not. He's going to suffer, and I think that is as bad as it sounds. If you wrap poison in chocolate and give it to a dog who eats it up because he loves chocolate, you've still poisoned the dog.

edit: traderumor is quicker on the draw and more concise than I am.

beb30
03-23-2006, 03:31 PM
I'm not even sure what you guys are saying anymore, no one has said that she is innocent. From what i believe and read shes wrong. I dont see what the debate is or what exactly you're trying to sway me or anyone else to believe....?:confused:

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 03:37 PM
In my opinion -- and I thought I saw some of this here, maybe I'm wrong -- the way she looks blinds some people to the gravity of the situation, that the fact that he was possibly a willing participant somehow made it less serious or abusive than it was. A post above referenced that "what they did...was wrong". He did not do anything wrong. He did, as many of you have pointed out, what many 14-year-olds would have done. She was abusive, and that is serious.

beb30
03-23-2006, 03:43 PM
Im saying he was willing to do it (put in that situation i probably would have done it to if it was a young hot teacher). However I do still believe it is less serious than some of you make it out to be. I believe the law for a minor to knowingly have sex is 16 for a female, I'm not sure if its different for a girl. Anyway its different (IMO) when your a younger male than a younger female. If the genders were switched its worse because females I believe can be more vulnerable to these types of actions. Yes what she did was wrong, but that kid knew what he was doing. He knew he was doing stuff he shouldn't have doing.

Roy Tucker
03-23-2006, 03:51 PM
Yeah, as the father of one teenage boy and two teenage daughters, I can first-hand testify that *judgement* is the last thing to develop.

My kids can solve calculus problems, write brilliant essays, apply formulae to a wide range of scientific areas, but sometime they do the *stupidest* darn things. The timeless rhetorical question "what were you thinking?" is oft-used in my "discussions".

A 14 yr. old, be it a boy or a girl, simply lacks the wherewithall to maturely judge whether or not a sexual relationship with a 23 yr. old is a good or a bad thing. And lacks the emotional capability and maturity to carry on such a relationship without a high risk of long-term emotional damage.

Vaticanplum's comment on this kid will have problems later in life with long-term relationships was spot-on.

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 03:58 PM
Anyway its different (IMO) when your a younger male than a younger female. If the genders were switched its worse because females I believe can be more vulnerable to these types of actions.

And I disagree strongly with this, and that's exactly where I think the double standards come into play.

In some states the laws for age of consensual sex do differ for males and females; there are a lot of people (myself included) who find this absurd and fight against it. So you are not alone in your opinion. For the record, Florida's laws are relatively strict. The age of consent is for males/females is 18. It is illegal for an adult to have sex with anyone under that age regardless of gender breakdown. 18 is the highest it is anywhere. In New York and Illinois, for example, it is 17; I believe it's 16 in Ohio. It does go as low as 14 in some states, but very few.

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 04:00 PM
Vaticanplum's comment on this kid will have problems later in life with long-term relationships was spot-on.

He's young enough that it's possible that this was his first sexual relationship too. In the human mind he will now probably associate sex with authority figures and manipulation and he will certainly have negative connotations with it.

I'll shut up about this now -- I can get a little riled up I know.

beb30
03-23-2006, 04:04 PM
agree to disagree i guess.......

On a different matter:
When a girl is under the influence of alcohol and you have sex with her its considered rape whether she says yes or not. Yet if a guy wanted to while being under the influence, i dont think it is considered rape itd be a problem........I'm not sure i understand why it wouldn't be, but people do regulate laws based on the differences between males and females.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 04:06 PM
The age of consent is for males/females is 18. It is illegal for an adult to have sex with anyone under that age regardless of gender breakdown. 18 is the highest it is anywhere. In New York and Illinois, for example, it is 17; I believe it's 16 in Ohio. It does go as low as 14 in some states, but very few.

I believe it's 18 in Ohio, or at least it was.

When I was in college, a Fraternity brother of mine met a girl at a bar, and invited her back to our fraternity house afterwards. She ended up spending the night there and the next day the police came and arrested him. Apparently, she was only 16. She had a fake ID that got her into the bar and she told him she was 18, and believe me, she didn't look 16 at the time. He was a couple months shy of being 20. They later reduced his charge, so he avoided jail time.

beb30
03-23-2006, 04:11 PM
I believe it's 18 in Ohio, or at least it was.

When I was in college, a Fraternity brother of mine met a girl at a bar, and invited her back to our fraternity house afterwards. She ended up spending the night there and the next day the police came and arrested him. Apparently, she was only 16. She had a fake ID that got her into the bar and she told him she was 18, and believe me, she didn't look 16 at the time. He was a couple months shy of being 20. They later reduced his charge, so he avoided jail time.

As far as i know it was 16, either way the guy shouldnt have been penalized at all......

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
As far as i know it was 16, either way the guy shouldnt have been penalized at all......

I felt the same way at the time. He was what, a little shy of being 4 years older than her? That's not an offense in my book. I'm almost 3 years older than my wife. Her parents were the ones that wanted to press charges. To me, they should have controlled their daughter better...having a fake ID, going to a college bar, and spending the night at a frat house at 16 yrs old. :nono:

vaticanplum
03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
agree to disagree i guess.......

On a different matter:
When a girl is under the influence of alcohol and you have sex with her its considered rape whether she says yes or not.

...then I know an awful lot of women who have been raped unbeknownst to them. "whether she says yes or not"...do you mean it's rape whether she says yes or not, if she later presses charges? I'm not terribly familiar with these laws, but I suspect there's more to it than that. I don't think a woman who has agreed to sex can prosecute for rape if she has put herself under the influence.

Adult rape is a whole different story. These laws are put in place to protect women because they have an awful hard time proving their case in court (if they ever manage to put themselves through everything they need to get there), often because of the defense painting her as "asking for it" in one way or another.

But this is not an adult; this is a minor. As Roy Tucker said, the thing that is different for a minor is the lack of judgment as recognized by the law. Male or female.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 04:16 PM
Im saying he was willing to do it (put in that situation i probably would have done it to if it was a young hot teacher). However I do still believe it is less serious than some of you make it out to be. I believe the law for a minor to knowingly have sex is 16 for a female, I'm not sure if its different for a girl. Anyway its different (IMO) when your a younger male than a younger female. If the genders were switched its worse because females I believe can be more vulnerable to these types of actions. Yes what she did was wrong, but that kid knew what he was doing. He knew he was doing stuff he shouldn't have doing.

It is very serious. I see it as no less outrageous than clergy abuse. What you or anyone else would have done at that age is moot. Regardless of the parties' gender or attractiveness, a 14 year old boy has plain and simply been abused, regardless of whether he considered himself "in love" (which he probably did), or if he enjoyed it, or what her reported feelings were toward him. VP is right on, he will likely always struggle with male/female relationships because of this. There is no rationilization that makes the relationship ok.

Thankfully, the law still recognizes that whether you do or not. Too bad our perverted society has to make a media circus of these things so that families choose to just let it go rather than put their child through even more and the abusers do not get justice. The way our states work, she can probably move several states away and get another job teaching somewhere.

beb30
03-23-2006, 04:17 PM
I just remember my freshman year of college, they went over the situation and they said if you have sex with a girl that is under the influence whether she says yes or not you can be held accountable for rape.

beb30
03-23-2006, 04:19 PM
Too bad our perverted society has to make a media circus of these things so that families choose to just let it go rather than put their child through even more and the abusers do not get justice. The way our states work, she can probably move several states away and get another job teaching somewhere.

Isn't europe more sexual than the United States? Here we make such a big deal about there being nudity in public or on the big screen where as there its legal to walk around topless and other things of the like.

traderumor
03-23-2006, 04:26 PM
Isn't europe more sexual than the United States? Here we make such a big deal about there being nudity in public or on the big screen where as there its legal to walk around topless and other things of the like.Europe is just a few years ahead of us, but we're catching up fast. The media attention all stems from the public wanting to hear the dirty details to feed their own perverse fantasies. I read a satirical column on a blog yesterday talking about the boy having problems with his shoulder from receiving too many high fives. After all, what "real man" isn't proud of such heroic exploits?

creek14
03-23-2006, 04:32 PM
14 yr old boys are an entirely different frame of mind than 14 yr old girls.

Well it's pretty darn obvious you have never been a 14 year old girl if you think that.

Better lock up those daughters or take off the blinders.

Roy Tucker
03-23-2006, 04:34 PM
Anyway its different (IMO) when your a younger male than a younger female.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying and I don't doubt that you think it's true. I probably felt the same way for a long time.

I know that if I had carried on something like that when I was 14 (and I wouldn't have hesitated for more than a nanosecond), the testosterone-fueled barking and woofing amongst my peers would have been monumental. I would have been a hero.

But men's emotions are funny things. We may think we're all tough and we can withstand any blow to the psyche and we can handle anything. And we go to enormous lengths to bury them under layer after layer or rationalization.

But eventually, someday, usually in a pretty funky fashion, they bubble up to the surface. And I think in this kid's case (and in the vast majority of cases), when it bubbles up, it's pretty stinky.

And I don't think I would have had this viewpoint unless I had a son who is now 18. And I've gotten to *really* know him through his developmental cycle and I see through all the macho BS and posturing and typical teen stuff. And inside, he's a vulnerable and sensitive kid and his attitudes and emotions are still in the formative state and can be twisted.

Ah, just old guy blather here. Pay no attention to that man behind the curtain.

Danny Serafini
03-23-2006, 04:40 PM
One of my HS teachers had a clandestine thing going with a classmate in my senior year.

They eventually got married, had a family, and are still together 36 years later.

I don't think that could happen in this day and age.

My friend's sister started having a relationship with her cross-country coach in high school, this was about 10 years or so ago. Big age difference too, it wasn't like these 25 year old teachers. A couple years later they got married, have a kid or two and are a perfectly happy couple.

GAC
03-23-2006, 08:21 PM
Several guys around the breakroom at work last night were talking (and joking) about this story. Most were saying that they'd give their son a "high five" for nailing a teacher that hot. They all thought it was hilarious.

I listened till I couldn't stand much more, and then turned to one guy and said "And if your 14 yr old daughter was "nailing" the gym teacher who was an adonis, then you'd have no problem? You'd understand?

I simply shake my head at society today and the double standards.

No one denies that most 14 yr old boys, when presented with that situation, would probably gladfully go along.

I fully understand, and sympathize with the Mother who obviously knows more about, and is in touch with, the emotional effects this is all having on her son because of the media frenzy. That is sad.

I don't know if it's feasible or not, but maybe states should enact some sort of protection laws (or better ones) that helps minors in these types of situations. Or why his testimony couldn't have been done in closed quarters before the judge/attorneys, and the testimony sealed from public records? Why does the media, or anyone else, need to know?

The young boy, nor his parents, obviously cannot undo any emotional damage that has been inflicted here. But with the help of counseling, they can help him through this, while also "educating" him about right and wrong, and seeing the right being done - this abuser getting what she deserves.

I just don't see an adult male getting off so easily in this country in a similar situation.

This woman would have to be put in the Witness Protection Program if that were my child. ;)

WMR
03-23-2006, 10:48 PM
he will now probably associate sex with authority figures and manipulation and he will certainly have negative connotations with it.

Hez not married to her

kbrake
03-23-2006, 11:10 PM
GAC, couldnt agree more. When it comes to sexually abused kids I dont care why the trials have to have a public eye in them, I dont care if the abuser is a hot teacher or Michael Jackson. I think if anyone under 18 is involved in a case like this it should be closed to the public to protect them from more damage.

Dom Heffner
03-24-2006, 03:47 PM
I've shared this before- she was in my traditional english grammar class- absolutely smokin'. One of two or three girls I could never forget seeing at USF.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 03:52 PM
I've shared this before- she was in my traditional english grammar class- absolutely smokin'. One of two or three girls I could never forget seeing at USF.
And you were obviously too old--now if you are one of those child prodigies that entered college prior to puberty, perhaps you had a chance.

TeamSelig
03-24-2006, 04:33 PM
There is no doubt that she is hot. Also, I honestly doubt that it will "scar" him for life. He will be bragging to his friends for the rest of his life about that. He is a legend.

savafan
03-24-2006, 04:43 PM
There is no doubt that she is hot. Also, I honestly doubt that it will "scar" him for life. He will be bragging to his friends for the rest of his life about that. He is a legend.

I don't know about that. Not the same thing, but an incident with my neighbor when I was 6 years old has affected every relationship I've had in my life since then.

alex trevino
03-24-2006, 10:35 PM
I had sex with Margaret Trudeau in 1974 when I was only 13...scared me for life:pimp:

traderumor
03-24-2006, 10:52 PM
There certainly is some disturbing double standards. Even if she is "hot," what does that have to do with being a child molester? I just don't see the relevance that her physical appearance has in the whole thing, other than making it a more juicy story and fulfilling some guys' fantasies.

savafan
03-24-2006, 10:55 PM
When I was 6, the 18 year old female neighbor who molested me was also "hot", but mentally unstable. There's a line between right and wrong, and it has nothing to do with a person's looks.