PDA

View Full Version : Bowden's Incompetence

CincyFalcon
03-22-2006, 07:08 AM
Saw this on mlb.com, where it explains how the Nationals were not allowed to talk to Soriano about the move until after the trade was complete.

"Texas denied Washington permission to talk to Soriano about a switch from second base to left field until the players took their physicals and the trade was official. "

"[The Nationals] didn't tell me about the switch until after the trade," Soriano said. "[The Rangers] didn't want them to talk, because they know what the problem is. The Nationals had to know how unhappy I would be."

Why if it was in the plans to make the switch, would you not somehow discuss it during the trade talks???

This is what I am not going to miss with Mr. Bowden....

GoReds
03-22-2006, 07:17 AM
I don't think this is going to turn out well for either Soriano or Bowden, but I just cannot imagine a scenario in which Soriano does not concede the point and play in the outfield.

If his agent was really looking out for him, he would have advised Soriano that his worth as an outfielder would be much greater than his worth as a second basemen.

There are several places to lay blame here.

REDREAD
03-22-2006, 08:10 AM
We all know that ego is one of Bowden's faults. I think Bowden likes asserting his authority. The bottom line is that Soraino is eventually going to play OF. Surely, he won't sit out the entire year and lose 10 million. Bowden has done some heavy handed stuff like this before, because Bowden knows how to work the rules as a GM and punish players.

Remember that OF we got for David Wells (name escapes me, but he didn't pan out).. Remember he got into an arguement with Bowden and Bowden said "I own you" and sent him to the minors as punishment. Also, remember Michael Coleman getting released for using Bowden's parking spot.
There's probably other examples, but Bowden likes playing a god. I'm sure Bowden's mindset was that Soriano had no choice BUT to play OF. Bowden really doesn't care if Soriano is happy or not, since he's just a 1 year rental.

cumberlandreds
03-22-2006, 08:47 AM
We all know that ego is one of Bowden's faults. I think Bowden likes asserting his authority. The bottom line is that Soraino is eventually going to play OF. Surely, he won't sit out the entire year and lose 10 million. Bowden has done some heavy handed stuff like this before, because Bowden knows how to work the rules as a GM and punish players.

Remember that OF we got for David Wells (name escapes me, but he didn't pan out).. Remember he got into an arguement with Bowden and Bowden said "I own you" and sent him to the minors as punishment. Also, remember Michael Coleman getting released for using Bowden's parking spot.
There's probably other examples, but Bowden likes playing a god. I'm sure Bowden's mindset was that Soriano had no choice BUT to play OF. Bowden really doesn't care if Soriano is happy or not, since he's just a 1 year rental.

And Bowden is 1 and half year rental for the Nats. As soon as MLB gets off their duff and names an owner, Bowden will be gone.