PDA

View Full Version : Question about Bonds?

E. Davis 44
03-22-2006, 10:18 AM
you know I am really sick of all the steroid stuff surrounding Bonds. I am not defending him for using them but I don't think he is being treated fairly.

Why is it that we act like Bonds was the only player using steroids over the past 6 or 7 seasons?
Why is it they are launching an investigation against him when nothing happened to Jason Giambi or Gary Sheffield when they ADMITTED to using steroids?
Why is it that people are saying he should be suspended when he didn't break any BASEBALL rules?
I mean if he tests positive now, of course they should suspend him, but when he was using the steroids there weren't rules forbidding them in baseball.

and don't give me the well it's illegal in this country crap so baseball's rules don't matter. Assault is illegal too, but you have guys like the hockey player who jacked someone in the head, basically ending his career and nothing outside of hockey happens to him.
Like I said earlier, I am not defending Bonds, I am just saying we should treat all steroid users equally.

Chip R
03-22-2006, 11:18 AM
you know I am really sick of all the steroid stuff surrounding Bonds. I am not defending him for using them but I don't think he is being treated fairly.

Why is it that we act like Bonds was the only player using steroids over the past 6 or 7 seasons

Why is it they are launching an investigation against him when nothing happened to Jason Giambi or Gary Sheffield when they ADMITTED to using steroids?
Why is it that people are saying he should be suspended when he didn't break any BASEBALL rules?

I mean if he tests positive now, of course they should suspend him, but when he was using the steroids there weren't rules forbidding them in baseball.

and don't give me the well it's illegal in this country crap so baseball's rules don't matter. Assault is illegal too, but you have guys like the hockey player who jacked someone in the head, basically ending his career and nothing outside of hockey happens to him.
Like I said earlier, I am not defending Bonds, I am just saying we should treat all steroid users equally.

Because most people don't like Bonds. You can get away with more stuff if you are likeable than you can if you are not.

E. Davis 44
03-22-2006, 02:25 PM
you know, i get that answer but it really isn't good enough. I mean it's kind of ridiculous the way this whole thing is playing out.
To me if he doesnt test positive when tested they need to drop it. Wouldn't this world be a crazy place if you could be arrested for stealing something, if stealing something wasn't even against the law until after you stole it?

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 02:30 PM

Why is it that we act like Bonds was the only player using steroids over the past 6 or 7 seasons?

As to your first two questions, I believe that has to do with legality. They were given immunity against prosecution for steroid usage IF they told the truth. According to the investigation, barry Bonds lied under oath about doing steroids, thus committing perjury and voiding his immunity.

As to your third question, well, I think that's the debate. There is evidence to support that he was using steroids when they were banned (2002?), and according to the SI article and the book, the reason he didn't test positive is because the steroids he was using were so sophisticated as to be undetectable.

No judgment here, just trying to answer your questions.

redsfan30
03-22-2006, 02:41 PM
We don't. It's common knowledge that there were many a player who have juiced up in that time period...difference is Bonds is the biggest name and he's the one who is constantly watched. He is a self-made pompous ass plus he is gunning for baseballs most hallowed record. That's why he gets most of the attention.

Giambi and/or Sheffield didn't have book upon book made public about their steriod use. With all the book, the Grand Jury situation with potential charges stemming from that, I don't see how MLB can avoid investigating the situation. None of the other players have this much baggage.

Barry Bonds is creating (both through media and himself) so many bad feelings towards the game of baseball it's not even funny. Baseball's biggest black eye right now is Barry Bonds. One thing that the commishiner has at his disposal is the "best interest of the game" rule in which he can take action against a player if he sees fit in the best interest of the game. Suspending Barry Bonds would give MLB much more credibility and respect than they have right now.

Jason Giambi was forthright with his usage. Barry Bonds just acts like he's God and the media should bow down to him. Bonds is going for the most high profile record this game has. Not too many people outside of San Francisco Giants fans want to see him break it, mainly because of the fact that he's about of likeable as a case of the mumps.

Barry cooks his own goose.

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 02:46 PM
It also has to do with the snowballing effect of steroids on the game over the last few years. For those who believe that they're bad for the game and want to see harsher penalties for their usage, Barry Bonds is a pretty terrific example to use, given, like redsfan said, his high profile and the fact that he's about to break important records due at least in part to his steroid usage. This is all coming around at the wrong time for him.

Remember that what you see as an attack on Bonds is still entirely fan- and media-based; that no legal action has been taken against him yet. If it is, there will have to have very specific, legally sound reasons for doing so.

RedLegSuperStar
03-22-2006, 03:00 PM
We don't. It's common knowledge that there were many a player who have juiced up in that time period...difference is Bonds is the biggest name and he's the one who is constantly watched. He is a self-made pompous ass plus he is gunning for baseballs most hallowed record. That's why he gets most of the attention.

Giambi and/or Sheffield didn't have book upon book made public about their steriod use. With all the book, the Grand Jury situation with potential charges stemming from that, I don't see how MLB can avoid investigating the situation. None of the other players have this much baggage.

Barry Bonds is creating (both through media and himself) so many bad feelings towards the game of baseball it's not even funny. Baseball's biggest black eye right now is Barry Bonds. One thing that the commishiner has at his disposal is the "best interest of the game" rule in which he can take action against a player if he sees fit in the best interest of the game. Suspending Barry Bonds would give MLB much more credibility and respect than they have right now.

Jason Giambi was forthright with his usage. Barry Bonds just acts like he's God and the media should bow down to him. Bonds is going for the most high profile record this game has. Not too many people outside of San Francisco Giants fans want to see him break it, mainly because of the fact that he's about of likeable as a case of the mumps.

Barry cooks his own goose.

Well Well Said! Barry brought this all on himself, and I bet he thought it would be all hunk-e-doorie this season with him missing 3/4th of last season. And if his excuse was because Mac and Sosa were breaking records by using performance inhancers why can't I then he needs to be banned form baseball all together. Taking Roids is illegal, and for sports players to get away with breaking the law is unreal to me. Me personally wouldn't be surprised to see Bonds break Ruth's HR mark and then retire. I hate the fact that someone would go after in my opinion the best baseball player ever and his acolaids\records because he didn't like him or because of his skin color. Records are ment to be broken, but the right way not through outside inhancers.

Chip R
03-22-2006, 03:06 PM
you know, i get that answer but it really isn't good enough. I mean it's kind of ridiculous the way this whole thing is playing out.
To me if he doesnt test positive when tested they need to drop it. Wouldn't this world be a crazy place if you could be arrested for stealing something, if stealing something wasn't even against the law until after you stole it?

I agree with your point but you said it yourself. Giambi admitted it and while he was ripped in the media, it's mostly water under the bridge now. Why? Because he's a likeable guy. I admit Gary Sheffield isn't that well liked but he's Sean Casey next to Bonds and he's thrown Bonds under the bus so he gets a free pass. McGwire and Sosa were heros in 1998 and even though their reps have been sullied recently, they still are likeable people. Who isn't a likeable person? Barry Bonds. The media doesn't care if Bonds' reputation is sullied. He doesn't like them so they will go out of their way - not that Barry hasn't made it easy for them - to rip him. It's not only Bonds and baseball but it's other sports and ways of life as well. We all know coaches who are charming to the media but are just the opposite in reality get more love from the media than coaches who are good people and run clean programs but aren't as nice to the media.

E. Davis 44
03-23-2006, 09:26 AM
I feel better about all of this!
On Mike and Mike in the morning, Mike Greenberg essentially was agreeing with everything I said yesterday, and even said they can't do anything to Bonds that they don't do to Sheffield as well.
Oh well, we'll see how this turns out.

big boy
03-23-2006, 10:00 AM
Bonds is fun to watch at the plate. I have no hatred toward him as his plate approach would make Teddy Williams proud. That said, I would prefer that he not pass Ruth with steroid-enhanced home runs.

E. Davis 44
03-23-2006, 10:02 AM
here is another way to look at Bonds using steroids to pass Ruth...how many HGH pitchers did Ruth have to face? I am sure that some of the pitchers that Bonds faces are definitely enhanced.

redsfan30
03-23-2006, 10:41 AM
here is another way to look at Bonds using steroids to pass Ruth...how many HGH pitchers did Ruth have to face? I am sure that some of the pitchers that Bonds faces are definitely enhanced.
Do two wrongs make a right?