PDA

View Full Version : Griffey, aluminum bat...scary thought

max venable
03-22-2006, 09:55 AM
Would have liked to seen this display:

Junior rocks out to heavy metal (http://redsox.bostonherald.com/otherMLB/view.bg?articleid=130758)

FULLERTON, Calif. - The highlight of Team USA’s workout yesterday at Cal-State Fullerton was watching Ken Griffey Jr. take a round of batting practice with an aluminum bat. Griffey had folks oohing and ahhing as he hit a series of shots over a row of trees beyond center field.

Asked how he felt about using the aluminum bat, Griffey said, “Not for me, not for me.”

Chip R
03-22-2006, 10:06 AM
Imagine, if you will, Dunn or the dearly departed WMP with an aluminum bat. :eek:

RedsBaron
03-22-2006, 10:09 AM
Imagine, if you will, Dunn or the dearly departed WMP with an aluminum bat. :eek:
If I am a pitcher, I would absolutely refuse to pitch a ball to Pena if he was holding an aluminum bat.

Chip R
03-22-2006, 10:09 AM
If I am a pitcher, I would absolutely refuse to pitch a ball to Pena if he was holding an aluminum bat.

I would pitch to him. I'd just do it behind a screen.

RedsBaron
03-22-2006, 10:12 AM
What's the screen made out of?

Chip R
03-22-2006, 10:14 AM
What's the screen made out of?

Titanium. ;)

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 10:21 AM

He'd only get offspeed stuff from me. Even my fastball. :laugh:

RBA
03-22-2006, 10:43 AM
That's IT! To bring parity into baseball, have the small market teams play with aluminum bats and teams like the Yankees play with ping pong paddles as bats.

ED44
03-22-2006, 11:01 AM
Years ago when McGwire was chasing the record, I remember reading an article (or maybe I dreamed it) that said if he hit a baseball with an aluminum bat with his bat speed that he would shatter the bones in his wrist. I guess the velocity from the pitcher played a roll in it too. Does anyone else remember anything about that?