PDA

View Full Version : Random question about the word "Cincinnati"

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 10:44 AM
Where did this nickname of " 'Nati" or better yet " 'the Nati" come from and how long has it been around? I never heard it as a kid in Cincinnati though it's possible that it was just slang to which I wasn't exposed...but I hear it a lot now, mostly in casual reference on the Internet. Do people use it in person? Is it a common nickname not only slang-wise but in things like local media?

I hate the sound of it, it really makes me think of poseur thug-types or something, like the city is trying to give street cred to itself when in fact it seems so dead-set against anything involving the words "street" or "cred" in practice. I'm not too crazy about "Cincy" either, but at least that sounds more like the city's actual name and doesn't have connotations on its own.

beb30
03-22-2006, 10:48 AM
Well down in clifton i know ive heard it and even used it before, but more as just fun. It does sound kind of ghetto and maybe thats because the way it looks around here sometimes. I've never heard the media use it tho. I think its more popular among younger people.

RBA
03-22-2006, 10:49 AM
I think Jim Rome invented it.

max venable
03-22-2006, 10:50 AM
Y'all can thank Jim Rome for "The Nati."

Heath
03-22-2006, 10:52 AM
The 'Nati is a phrase of Jim Rome used in his "gloss" of words. He gives cities nicknames like Chris Berman names players -

Other gloss used for cities -

C-bus - Columbus
C-town - Cleveland
ATL - Atlanta
Bugaha - Omaha

and so on and so on

RBA
03-22-2006, 10:54 AM
My Brother-in-Law uses SmELL Paso for El Paso. He's not to far off. ;)

westofyou
03-22-2006, 10:57 AM
On that subject I loath the use of "Caly" for California, no one on the west coast ever refers to it that way and it's a sure sign of a tourist if there ever was one.

Though "P Town" for Portland in accepted, "Oaktown" for Oakland and "The City" for San Francisco.

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 10:58 AM
Cincinnati should have gotten C-Town.

I propose that we come up with our own. Preferably one that does not easily couple with "nasty".

vaticanplum
03-22-2006, 11:00 AM
On that subject I loath the use of "Caly" for California, no one on the west coast ever refers to it that way and it's a sure sign of a tourist if there ever was one.

Though "P Town" for Portland in accepted, "Oaktown" for Oakland and "The City" for San Francisco.

I lived in San Francisco for a little while and I vaguely remember people going batcrazy when non-natives referred to it as "S.F." As I recall, "San Fran" was just slightly more tolerated.

"Oaktown" is hysterical as a nickname since it barely differs from the real one in length or structure. I've never heard that before.

max venable
03-22-2006, 11:00 AM

Honest to goodness...I met a guy from California recently and when I asked him where he was from, he said, "Caly."

Yachtzee
03-22-2006, 11:07 AM

What about "The 'Fornia" or "C-forn"?

Growing up, we always refered to interstates as "I-71", "I-77" and "I-480", but the people my wife works with have taken to "Californizing" or "Jim Rome-ing" things. Highways are now referred to with the article "the" preceding the route number, e.g. "The 71" or "The 480." Cleveland is "C-town", Columbus is "C-bus", Parma is "P-town", and places like Streetsboro become "Streetstucky." It was humorous at first, but it gets old quick.

Yachtzee
03-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Honest to goodness...I met a guy from California recently and when I asked him where he was from, he said, "Caly."

All I can think of when I hear that is LL Cool J.

"I'm going back to Cali, Cali, Cali.
I'm going bact to Cali.
Yo, I don't think so."

RBA
03-22-2006, 11:09 AM
Cincinnati should have gotten C-Town.

I propose that we come up with our own. Preferably one that does not easily couple with "nasty".

How about "National Underground Railroad Freedom Center City" or how most on WLW refer to it as the "Slave Museum" City?

Yachtzee
03-22-2006, 11:14 AM
Porkopolis?
Losantiville?
Cinti?
"Springer-field"?

I remember back in the early '80s, Cleveland actually tried to get itself called the "Big Plum." They actually ran an ad campaign stating "If New York the Big Apple, then Cleveland's a plum!"

westofyou
03-22-2006, 11:16 AM
What about "The 'Fornia" or "C-forn"?

NoCal, SoCal, maybe... but not the others, despite the attempt from Max's visitor.

RBA
03-22-2006, 11:19 AM
We, from California, refer to anything north of Bakersfield as South Oregon. ;)

westofyou
03-22-2006, 11:25 AM
We, from California, refer to anything north of Bakersfield as South Oregon. ;)
Oregon is California's Canada

KittyDuran
03-22-2006, 12:02 PM
I've never heard a "local" from the Cincinnati area refer to the city as "the Nati". What I have heard is:

The Queen City
Zinzinnati
Cincinnata

macro
03-22-2006, 12:03 PM
If your ebay search ever contains the word "cincinnati", you'd better include cincinati, cincinatti, cinncinnatti, cinncinnati, cinncinati, and cinncinatti in your search if you want to find all the items available. People spell it every which way.

Red Leader
03-22-2006, 12:12 PM

Don't forget "the LBC" :D

Roy Tucker
03-22-2006, 12:15 PM
I have seen this on the side of city vans for a few years now...

http://www.keepcincinnatibeautiful.org/Images/Banners/side_banner01.gif

KittyDuran
03-22-2006, 12:21 PM

:p: Does Rome get royalities?

Yachtzee
03-22-2006, 12:33 PM
So when does Kentucky become "The KY" or "NoKen"?

Steve4192
03-22-2006, 12:42 PM
"Oaktown" is hysterical as a nickname since it barely differs from the real one in length or structure. I've never heard that before.
I always enjoyed the 'Cokeland' moniker.

Stewie
03-22-2006, 02:44 PM

Wasn't there a TV ad campaign about this a few years back? I seem to remember seeing commercials with kids picking up trash and throwing it away, all the while singing a crappy made-up rap about not "trashing the Nati." That was the first I heard of the word "Nati," and not being from Cincinnati, I've always thought that was a commonly used nickname.

Note: There is a chance I may be making the part about the rap up, or thinking about something completely different.

guttle11
03-22-2006, 02:53 PM
So when does Kentucky become "The KY"...

I'm not touching that one. Wayyy to easy.

Steve4192
03-22-2006, 03:35 PM
I'm not touching that one. Wayyy to easy.
Time to fire up the dueling banjos.

Newport Red
03-22-2006, 09:27 PM
So when does Kentucky become "The KY" or "NoKen"?

Former Cincinnatians

Cedric
03-22-2006, 09:54 PM
The 'Nati is what most college kids call it in Clifton. I have no idea where or when that started, always been there for me since I came to school.

remdog
03-22-2006, 09:59 PM
The 'Nati was around long before Jim Rome. I first heard it in '79.....in Los Angeles right after I moved there. :shocked:

Rem

alex trevino
03-22-2006, 11:15 PM
I'm not too crazy about Cincy either

NoCalRed
03-22-2006, 11:27 PM
NoCal, SoCal, maybe... but not the others, despite the attempt from Max's visitor.

So my redszone name is ok then?:) Actually my name is just an abbreviation of what I say if some one from out of the area asks me where I am from. I used to just say the town name and I would get asked "where is that?" so I would say northern california just north of San Francisco so now I just dropped the town name. When I got to this board I just abbrevieated it down I figured NorthernCaliforniaRed was a little too long. Some times I say wine country, but I found that even some people from California do not exactly know where that is, although I would guess that is just a small number.

As far as people from "The City" being upset about S.F. or San Fran, yeah I have heard that alot, but I generally do not get too worked up about it even though I did live there for a number of years. It's those strange or stereotypical ideas people have of San Francisco that bugs me. Speaking of "The City" how did it get to be known as "The City"? I have been saying that as long as I have lived out here and can't figure out how I picked it up. No matter where I am in the state if I say I have to head up to the city people know I am refering to San Francisco.

As far as the freeway situation southern California has to be the most confusing. Example of some directions you might receive: Take the San Diego freeway to the Long Beach freeway then get off downtown. Uh ok what numbers and which direction might that be? It took me a while to figure it all out.

Heath
03-22-2006, 11:37 PM
As far as people from "The City" being upset about S.F. or San Fran, yeah I have heard that alot, but I generally do not get too worked up about it even though I did live there for a number of years. It's those strange or stereotypical ideas people have of San Francisco that bugs me. Speaking of "The City" how did it get to be known as "The City"? I have been saying that as long as I have lived out here and can't figure out how I picked it up. No matter where I am in the state if I say I have to head up to the city people know I am refering to San Francisco.

according to the NBA - the words "The City" signified the San Francisco Warriors - who are now the Golden State Warriors - who now play in Oakland.

http://www.retrothrowbacks.com/images/150_BASKETBALL_-_1967_RICK_BARRY_RD_WARRIORS_JERSEY_350.00.jpg

westofyou
03-23-2006, 12:28 AM
Speaking of "The City" how did it get to be known as "The City"?My bet is on Herb Caen.

Blimpie
03-23-2006, 08:32 AM
The 'Nati is a phrase of Jim Rome used in his "gloss" of words. He gives cities nicknames like Chris Berman names players -

Other gloss used for cities -

C-bus - Columbus
C-town - Cleveland
ATL - Atlanta
Bugaha - Omaha

and so on and so onDon't forget Crapchester, NY

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 01:10 PM
I'm not too crazy about Cincy either
Makes the area sound like an amusement park ride.

Chip R
03-23-2006, 01:50 PM
Don't forget Crapchester, NY

Fresneck, CA

ghettochild
03-23-2006, 06:44 PM
i usually call cincinnati cincy, just by habit

StillFunkyB
03-24-2006, 07:35 AM
Don't forget about Cow- Town out in California.

On the radio they were calling it Sac-Town...now that is funny, I don't care who you are.