PDA

View Full Version : Scott Olsen up for grabs?

Barbarossa
03-22-2006, 01:01 PM
For the second time in about a week CBS.SportsLine.com has rumored that Scott Olsen was on the market. Today they're saying that the Palm Beach Post reported that the Devil Rays don't want to part with Joey Gathright. The Marlins were willing to trade Scott Olsen for the speedy outfielder but Olsen is having a bad spring.

Think the fish might consider one of our speedy outfielders? Denorfia, Freel or Wise aren't in the same league as Gathright so maybe throw in a second baseman. Did they ever replace Pokey? As far as Olsen having a poor spring I seem to remember reading recently that spring training stats mean nothing.:confused:

M2
03-22-2006, 01:07 PM
Honestly, is there something in the water in Tampa that prevents GMs from making trades to help their ballclub? The Rays are flush in young player talent, but have next to no pitching.

Maybe there's a specific injury concern with Olsen, but otherwise I can't fathom what they're thinking.

Puffy
03-22-2006, 01:19 PM
Honestly, is there something in the water in Tampa that prevents GMs from making trades to help their ballclub? The Rays are flush in young player talent, but have next to no pitching.

Maybe there's a specific injury concern with Olsen, but otherwise I can't fathom what they're thinking.

And Joey Gathright is a bench player for them - if ever there was a surplus for need trade to be made its here.

flyer85
03-22-2006, 01:31 PM
Honestly, is there something in the water in Tampa that prevents GMs from making trades to help their ballclub? The Rays are flush in young player talent, but have next to no pitching.with the TB surplus of OFs and dearth of pitching this would seem to be a no-brainer. I think Olsen is by far the better prospect. :dunno:

Puffy
03-22-2006, 01:34 PM
Tampa has Crawford, Huff, Rocco, Gomes and Gathright - thats 5 outfielders for three spots, and they refuse to give up outfielder number 5 for a pitcher of Scott Olsen's potential?

When the have Kazmir and question marks for pitching?

Stupid.

flyer85
03-22-2006, 01:39 PM
Maybe Florida could use Freel?

flyer85
03-22-2006, 01:40 PM
Tampa has Crawford, Huff, Rocco, Gomes and Gathright - thats 5 outfielders for three spots, and they refuse to give up outfielder number 5 for a pitcher of Scott Olsen's potential?

Stupid.the list doesn't even inlcude big time prospects who are in AAA in Young and Dukes. In addition, there is the speculation that Upton will eventually move to CF.

KronoRed
03-22-2006, 01:59 PM

Stupid.
Little bit of Dan O "hold till the deal is perfect" going on down there.

Heath
03-22-2006, 02:29 PM
TeamClark can probably give us some insight.

Aubrey Huff's playing 3rd.

If the OF is a strength and they need pitching, maybe they are waiting to see who they want.

flyer85
03-22-2006, 02:32 PM
If the OF is a strength and they need pitching, maybe they are waiting to see who they want.Honestly I think Gathright is seriously overrated as a player and TB is overvaluing his worth. If I was Wayne I would try to get in on this one.

Heath
03-22-2006, 02:43 PM
Honestly I think Gathright is seriously overrated as a player and TB is overvaluing his worth. If I was Wayne I would try to get in on this one.

Kinda like a majority of people look at Willy Mo?

KronoRed
03-22-2006, 03:02 PM
Honestly I think Gathright is seriously overrated as a player and TB is overvaluing his worth. If I was Wayne I would try to get in on this one.
What pitching do we have to offer?

flyer85
03-22-2006, 03:03 PM
What pitching do we have to offer?I was talking about offering someone like Freel for Olsen, not Gathright. The Reds have a better solution than Gathright already in Denorfia.

Sabo Fan
03-22-2006, 03:15 PM
They'd better hurry and deal Gathright because I have a feeling that his trade value will never be higher. He's like a new car, as soon as someone drives him off the lot the value plummets.

OnBaseMachine
03-22-2006, 04:54 PM
Freel for Olsen. I'd even toss in a prospect if needed.

ramp101
03-23-2006, 01:18 AM
I really dont see us trading Olsen for Gathright...

more like an Elijah Dukes...

if we made that trade for Gathright I would probably cry

Barbarossa
03-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Ramp why do the Fish want to move Olsen? Is he hurt? His numbers last year looked pretty good. Can't figure out why they would want to trade a good young pitcher.:confused:

IslandRed
03-23-2006, 11:16 AM
Ramp why do the Fish want to move Olsen? Is he hurt? His numbers last year looked pretty good. Can't figure out why they would want to trade a good young pitcher.:confused:

They're willing to trade good young pitching because they have a lot of it. Their offseason dump trades added a bunch of good arms to a system that already had its share, so at some point they'll start flipping some of them for the other stuff they need.

KronoRed
03-23-2006, 01:15 PM
I was talking about offering someone like Freel for Olsen, not Gathright. The Reds have a better solution than Gathright already in Denorfia.
Don't think the Marlins would want Freel, he's not making the minimum ;)

ramp101
03-23-2006, 04:57 PM
They're willing to trade good young pitching because they have a lot of it. Their offseason dump trades added a bunch of good arms to a system that already had its share, so at some point they'll start flipping some of them for the other stuff they need.
good answer.