03-22-2006, 08:46 PM
I can handle rooting for Kansas State.

Matt700wlw
03-22-2006, 08:47 PM
So can I

Matt700wlw
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
Hello O.J. and Walker perhaps...

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/basketball/ncaa/wires/03/22/2060.ap.bkc.huggins.players.0389/

MWM
03-22-2006, 08:57 PM
I don't think OJ and walker are going to follow Huggs wherever he goes. I'd bet almost anything they wind up at a big name school.

KronoRed
03-22-2006, 08:58 PM
I don't think OJ and walker are going to follow Huggs wherever he goes. I'd bet almost anything they wind up at a big name school.
I've read some schools are taking a hands off with them because of the assumed "1 and to the NBA" with both of them.

MWM
03-22-2006, 09:02 PM
I've read some schools are taking a hands off with them because of the assumed "1 and to the NBA" with both of them.

Maybe so, but I sure wouldn't worry about that. the one thing the new rule ensures is that the playerhas to actually perform in college if they're going to go pro. When they were coming out of HS, it was a crap shoot as they never had to prove anything against better competition. If they play well enough for them to be a high draft pick, it was probaboy worth the one year. If they don't, they'll likely stick around an extra year or two.

Cedric
03-22-2006, 09:04 PM
Maybe so, but I sure wouldn't worry about that. the one thing the new rule ensures is that the playerhas to actually perform in college if they're going to go pro. When they were coming out of HS, it was a crap shoot as they never had to prove anything against better competition. If they play well enough for them to be a high draft pick, it was probaboy worth the one year. If they don't, they'll likely stick around an extra year or two.

No school with a real oppurtunity for Walker or Mayo would pass, I agree.

They make a team instant final four contenders.

WVRed
03-22-2006, 09:30 PM
I say one and done with Mayo, same with Greg Oden.

I think Walker will go too, but his game is not nearly as refined as Mayo's. Mayo is a man child, and Walker is a highlight reel that really offers little else besides dunks.

WVRed
03-22-2006, 09:33 PM

I think if they don't follow Huggins, two schools immediately come to mind are Connecticut and Louisville. The biggest question i'm wondering about is whether Keenan Ellis is still in the package deal, since odds are he will be headed back to Indianapolis after this season.

MWM
03-22-2006, 09:43 PM
I just read Mayo's comments and they don't sound like much of endorsement for Huggs. He was asked speficially about going wherever Huggs goes and his response is something to the effect of, "that would be nice, but we have to wait and see where he goes and see what their fan base is like." He specifically said he didn't want to go to a "raw" program. When asked that specific question, there's no way he's going to come out and say no because that might come off as a slap at Huggins. I got the impression from his comments that playing for Huggins isn't much of a priority.

Heath
03-22-2006, 10:26 PM
Mayo & Walker to Ohio State.

Ok---maybe not.

LoganBuck
03-22-2006, 10:54 PM
Heath, I wouldn't be surprised if the did end up in Columbus, the problem is Ohio State can not really afford them. With the new APR grading system for the programs, having a slew of players leaving early for the draft will reduce schollie numbers. Oden and Cook are odds on players to be 1 and done types, Mayo and Walker fit that bill as well. Assuming that Mayo and Walker came to OSU and did the one and done thing, at least 29% of Ohio State's scholarships would have gone to players who left the program after 1 year. That would be absolute murder for the program.

UC will be in the same boat next season, especially if Downey and Herrera leave. Downey, Herrera, and Deandre Coleman would count against UC, and probably reduce the number of schollies they can give in 2008.

Heath
03-22-2006, 11:14 PM
Well, they could always go back to West Virginia - but I am afraid the style of offense would not be to their liking.

Reds4Life
03-23-2006, 12:31 AM
According to reports Huggs has accepted the job.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14164056.htm

Good luck Bob, we are pulling for ya.

Heath
03-23-2006, 12:42 AM
According to reports Huggs has accepted the job.

http://www.kansas.com/mld/kansas/sports/14164056.htm

Good luck Bob, we are pulling for ya.

desparate times sometimes call for desparate measures.

Manhattan, KS isn't exactly Manhattan, right JohnnyFoot?

Reds4Life
03-23-2006, 12:52 AM
desparate times sometimes call for desparate measures.

It's still a Big 12 job. They were 15-13 last year and return all thier players except for 2 bench warmers. Jason Bennett, a 7'2" center is going with Huggins, John Williamson from Cincy St. (one of the top natial JUCO players) might go as well depending on who UC hires. Add a few recruits into the mix and it's not a bad situation at all.

Huggs will have K-State in the top 25 long before UC will ever sniff it again.

WVRed
03-23-2006, 08:13 AM
Mayo & Walker to Ohio State.

Ok---maybe not.

I think I have heard Mayo and Walker quoted numerous times that they were not interested in playing for the Buckeyes.

Reds Fanatic
03-23-2006, 08:22 AM
According to ESPN it is a 5 year deal for Huggins with Kansas State.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=2380885

Former Cincinnati coach Bob Huggins has accepted a five-year contract to coach Kansas State, his attorney, Richard Katz, told ESPN.com on Thursday morning.

Katz said he and Huggins were on their way to Manhattan, Kan., for a news conference later Thursday. Terms of the deal were not disclosed. Kansas State spokesperson Tom Gilbert told ESPN.com that he hadn't been told as of early Thursday morning to prepare for a news conference.

Why Kansas State?

"He feels that Kansas State has the potential to be a top 10 program," Katz said of Huggins' decision. "The Manhattan university community has embraced him and wants him to be the head coach."

Huggins, who was forced out of Cincinnati last August, will replace Jim Wooldridge, who was fired after the Wildcats lost to Texas Tech in the Big 12 tournament opening round earlier this month.

Kansas State also interviewed Northern Iowa's Greg McDermott, but he took the Iowa State job.

Huggins has had conversations with Kansas State in the past few weeks. Katz had made four trips to Kansas State recently, surveying the scene. This could come down to one of the most important hires of athletic director's Tim Weiser's career. Kansas State has needed to hit a home run with this hire and certainly has brought in a big-time name in Huggins.

If Huggins is able to make the Wildcats into a top 10 program, a lot of that will depend on whether or not he can land the cream of the class of 2007 in North Hill High (Ohio) players O.J. Mayo and Bill Walker, who have expressed interest in following Huggins in two seasons.

Huggins has always recruited junior colleges well, an area of recruiting where Kansas State has done well, recently. Kansas State is considered to have solid young talent so Huggins isn't going into a complete rebuilding situation. The Wildcats return its best player, junior Cartier Martin, a 6-8 forward who averaged 18 points a game last season for the 15-13 Wildcats (6-10 in Big 12). The Wildcats didn't have a senior in its top four scorers last season.

If Cincinnati interim coach Andy Kennedy doesn't land a full-time head coaching gig then he could be a top candidate to rejoin his former coach. Kennedy is meeting with Ole Miss for its opening Thursday.

Huggins, 52, coached Cincinnati to 14 straight NCAA Tournaments and the Final Four in 1992. Huggins has said throughout the season that he wanted to return to coaching. Huggins now joins a stellar group of coaches in the Big 12 in Bob Knight (Texas Tech), Rick Barnes (Texas), Eddie Sutton (still at Oklahoma State), Bill Self (Kansas) and Kelvin Sampson (Oklahoma).

Matt700wlw
03-23-2006, 11:57 AM
Kansas state will be a better program because of Bob Huggins, and I look forward to cheering them on.

And I'll look forward to the Huggins vs Knight matchups!!

WVRed
03-23-2006, 12:18 PM
Latest rumor flying around is Devan Downey to Kansas St.

I will be pulling for Kansas St to do well, especially if they get Mayo and Walker.

Johnny Footstool
03-23-2006, 12:42 PM

Manhattan, KS makes Covington look like Manhattan, NY. I think they actually have "Tumbleweed Crossing" signs downtown. ;)

A shockingly good move for K-State. They might actually put up a fight in the Big 12 next season.

beb30
03-23-2006, 12:47 PM
I'm going to order some nike kansas state basketball shorts now, they have now become my 2nd favorite team right behind UC

cincinnati chili
03-24-2006, 07:20 AM
Dear Kansas State Alums,

The value of your degree is now reduced by approximately one third.

Yours Truly,

President of the Trustees

Johnny Footstool
03-24-2006, 10:27 AM
I'm going to order some nike kansas state basketball shorts now, they have now become my 2nd favorite team right behind UC

Purple shorts, huh?

You headed to a disco roller skating party? ;)

beb30
03-24-2006, 11:03 AM
Purple shorts, huh?

You headed to a disco roller skating party? ;)

Haha they dont look that bad:

http://www.finishline.com/store/catalog/product.jsp?categoryId=cat20119&productId=prod564383&resetResult=true&displayBreadcrumb=true&Ntt=Kansas+State+Shorts&N=0&isSearch=true&oldRequestedURI=%2fstore%2fcatalog%2fparamsearch.j sp&Nu=product_id&Ntk=ALL_FIELDS

Johnny Footstool
03-24-2006, 11:16 AM
Haha they dont look that bad:

Hey, you don't have to see purple clothes every day. About 500 people I work with are K-State alumni, and they wear that awful color a lot.

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 03:08 PM
Manhattan, KS makes Covington look like Manhattan, NY. I think they actually have "Tumbleweed Crossing" signs downtown. ;)

I got married in that town and my wife and I still have quite a few friends there and in Junction City. I don't know about the tumbleweed, but it is a wee bit smaller than Cincinnati.

MWM
03-27-2006, 08:04 PM
Here's a quote from Downey after Huggs new school was announced:

""I committed to the University of Cincinnati. I'm not planning on leaving," Downey said following the game but before the announcement of Cronin's hiring. "I'm not going to drop out of school, I'm still going go to school here and see everything plays out. I plan on staying here. I like Cincinnati, I love the people, I love the fans, they love me. I'm in the perfect spot. Why go somewhere where I have to prove myself again and try to fit in again? Right now, I'm still a Bearcat."

Downey said he hadn't even considered following former UC coach Bob Huggins to Kansas State. "I can't really answer that," he said. "As of right now, I'm going to see how it plays out and see who is the head coach at the University of Cincinnati."

That man is Cronin, who will have to quickly fill a roster.

"I hope whoever gets the job gets some people to play around me, because we're going to need a whole lot of help here next year," Downey said.

WVRed
03-27-2006, 08:14 PM
Dear Kansas State Alums,

The value of your degree is now reduced by approximately one third.

Yours Truly,

President of the Trustees

I never really understood this.

I know its been said(noteably on ESPN's Sportsnation Poll) that Huggins doesnt graduate a majority of his players. Maybe im wrong on this, but I can't think of very many if any who played at UC under Huggins that went pro, were kicked off, etc.

Matt700wlw
03-27-2006, 08:16 PM
Huggs in purple...

http://pbskids.org/barney/pareduc/behindscenes/images/barney_caboose.jpg

Chip R
03-28-2006, 12:17 PM
Looks like Huggins was second choice to a buddy of mine from college. :)

http://desmoinesregister.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20060326/SPORTS04/603260359/1003/SPORTS&lead=1

Newport Red
03-28-2006, 09:21 PM
Here's a quote from Downey after Huggs new school was announced:

""I committed to the University of Cincinnati. I'm not planning on leaving," Downey said following the game but before the announcement of Cronin's hiring. "I'm not going to drop out of school, I'm still going go to school here and see everything plays out. I plan on staying here. I like Cincinnati, I love the people, I love the fans, they love me. I'm in the perfect spot. Why go somewhere where I have to prove myself again and try to fit in again? Right now, I'm still a Bearcat."

Downey said he hadn't even considered following former UC coach Bob Huggins to Kansas State. "I can't really answer that," he said. "As of right now, I'm going to see how it plays out and see who is the head coach at the University of Cincinnati."

That man is Cronin, who will have to quickly fill a roster.

"I hope whoever gets the job gets some people to play around me, because we're going to need a whole lot of help here next year," Downey said.

In other UC threads, I have predicted dark ages for UC's basketball program. The way the administration has acted, deservedly so. But Downey's comments have given me a different thought.

Mayo and Walker to UC may be a good thing for both parties. UC's biggest need is bodies. Mayo and Walker are guaranteed not only starting spots but extended playing time. Your other incoming freshmen, while playing more than otherwise, will not be expected to carry an undue burden. Disaster in the Big East averted.

The two, plus Downey, gives the team an opportunity to at least be a bubble team for the NCAA tourney as they suprisingly were this year.

After the season, Mayo goes and Walker probably goes. Now you have Downey and the others as juniors, a crop of sophmores with a year under their belts and an incoming crop of freshmen using scholarships not given to any available body the year before. Mayo's and probably Walker's scholarships also could be used this year. You now have a normal spread of scholarships over years instead of the huge bump next year in search of bodies to fill out a team.

Mayo and Walker get exposure in an elite conference.

UC gets two bubble years until Downey's senior year. A senior point guard with junior and sophmore classes ready to finally make some noise in the Big East.

UC's administration could screw this up at a moment's notice.

WVRed
03-29-2006, 08:04 AM
I think Huggins could rival the Thad Five.

From Charlotte's "other" site....just, really, eye-rubbing, good, news, as it pertains to our newest assistant coach.
The Greatest Recruiting Class Ever
Apologies if this is the content of the Beasley sticky above.
A few highlights...
(Charlotte asst. Delonte) Hill was the lone reason that Michael Beasley � rated the No. 3 player in the class of 2007 and more recently named to the Parade All America second team � gave Charlotte a verbal commitment....Simply put, Beasley is not coming to Charlotte. Write it down, mark it in stone, copy and paste this sentence on every message board from here to Manhattan, Kansas.....He's heading to K � State with Hill. What's the draw? It's Beasley being part of what would be the greatest class ever signed. Ohio phenom O.J. Mayo, No. 1 rated player in the class of 2007, and his teammate Bill Walker, No. 2 rated player in 2007, are said to be shoe-ins to K � State now that Huggins is there.

The addition of Beasley would give K � State the greatest recruiting class ever. Not to mention the Cats are in serious contention for a few other top 30 prospects.

MWM
03-29-2006, 10:02 AM
I'll believe Mayo and Walker will follow Huggins when they actually come out and say it htemselves, but not until. Personally, I don't see them going to Manhattan, Kansas. I'd loook for them to lace them up in Louisville.

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2006, 12:10 PM
I'll believe Mayo and Walker will follow Huggins when they actually come out and say it htemselves, but not until. Personally, I don't see them going to Manhattan, Kansas. I'd loook for them to lace them up in Louisville.

As I've told my K-State friends, once they get a look at downtown Manhattan, KS, they'll come running back east.

Steve4192
03-29-2006, 01:27 PM
As I've told my K-State friends, once they get a look at downtown Manhattan, KS, they'll come running back east.
I dunno.

I've been to Manhattan (my uncle is a KSU alum) and I have been to Lawrence (my brother is a KU alum) and I didn't see much difference, yet KU has managed to land more than their share of McDonalds HS all americans over the years. If Huggins can convince those guys that KSU is the place where they can maximize their NBA draft stock, they'll be there.

Mayo/Walker are both very focused on the next level, and IMO they would gladly go play in Alaska if they felt it would help their draft status.

KronoRed
03-29-2006, 02:36 PM
Huggs in purple...

http://pbskids.org/barney/pareduc/behindscenes/images/barney_caboose.jpg
If you start singing we'll have words :angry:

Chip R
03-29-2006, 03:02 PM
I dunno.

I've been to Manhattan (my uncle is a KSU alum) and I have been to Lawrence (my brother is a KU alum) and I didn't see much difference, yet KU has managed to land more than their share of McDonalds HS all americans over the years. If Huggins can convince those guys that KSU is the place where they can maximize their NBA draft stock, they'll be there.

I think the big difference between Lawrence and Manhattan - besides the tradition at KU - is that Lawrence is about an hour away from K.C. and Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere. K.C. may not be the most hopping town in the world but to 18-19 year old kids in Kansas, it's New York City.

I don't think it's really a matter of maximizing their draft stock - especially with O.J. since if he were eligible, he'd be selected right now. No matter where they go they are going to be on TV about as much as Duke is now. So it's probably more along the lines of a place (or with a coach) they would be comfortable with for a year or so. Perhaps they may be suceptible to "incentives" as well and that may enter into play. Who knows with teenagers? They could change their minds a hundred times between now and LOI day.

Steve4192
03-29-2006, 03:50 PM
Lawrence is about an hour away from K.C. and Manhattan is in the middle of nowhere.
Manhattan is 80 miles due west of Lawrence. Driving in the wide open spaces of central Kansas, you can chew that distance up in an hour easy.

Johnny Footstool
03-29-2006, 03:54 PM
Manhattan is 80 miles due west of Lawrence. Driving in the wide open spaces of central Kansas, you can chew that distance up in an hour easy.

Yes, but two hours to KC and two hours back doesn't leave you much time to party if you're on a curfew.

Plus, there's a vast difference between the KU and K-State basketball programs, both currently and historically.

Steve4192
03-29-2006, 05:10 PM
Plus, there's a vast difference between the KU and K-State basketball programs, both currently and historically.
That depends on how far back your memory stretches.

KSU is pretty much a carbon copy of UC in terms of history. They were a national powerhouse in the 50s and 60s and slowly fell into the background over the last 40 years. If Huggins can revive their program, you will start to hear all kinds of things about the great history and tradition of KSU hoops, just like you heard when he revived the UC program. Sure, people will scoff now, but they did the same thing when you mentioned UC's storied history back in the 1980s. A few years of winning will go a long way towards restoring the memories of KSU's glory years.

WVRed
03-29-2006, 09:41 PM
Huggins is apparently bringing in an assistant coach from Charlotte who was instrumental in getting a verbal from Oak Hill's Michael Beasley.

Scout.com has him ranked no 2 in the nation and Rivals.com has him at no 3. Actually, Rivals has Mayo, Walker, and Beasley as 1-3.

If Huggins pulls this off and adds a couple more to round it out, this recruiting class will make the Thad Five look like childs play.