OF - Luis Matos
OF - Dustan Mohr
C - Koyie Hill

Pitchers
John Thomson
Juan Cruz
Todd Wellemeyer
Kirk Saarloos

How much better would you feel about this team if they could pick up Shealy & Thomson or Cruz?

I want Brandon Phillips too, but I know I'm already asking for too much.

buckeyenut
03-23-2006, 10:10 PM
I would love to get Shealy, Hairston, Phillips, Cruz, Thomson off that list.

Red Leader
03-23-2006, 11:09 PM
I don't think the Braves are going to DFA or cut Thomson, they've just made him available for trade, and they want a bullpen arm in return.

BTW, I'd be interested in Shealy, Pena, or Choi, Thomson, and Cruz.

I think a player like Juan Cruz is exactly what our current bullpen needs.

Crash Davis
03-24-2006, 12:23 AM
I don't think the Braves are going to DFA or cut Thomson, they've just made him available for trade, and they want a bullpen arm in return.

Sorry. I should have made this more clear. I don't think most of these guys are going to be available except via trade.

KronoRed
03-24-2006, 01:47 AM
Hmm..Brandon Phillips as an option at SS with Lopez to 2b

OnBaseMachine
03-24-2006, 07:11 AM
Give me Shealy(my #1 choice) or Choi at 1B, Cruz for the bullpen, and Phillips as the second baseman.

Danny Serafini
03-24-2006, 09:12 AM
Brandon Phillips stinks. He's an overhyped "prospect" who's failed in every chance Cleveland has given him. We've already got 37 second basemen, we don't need this guy thrown into the mix at Louisville with them.

Johnny Footstool
03-24-2006, 09:51 AM
Pena and Phillips would be good. I'm also a fan of Luis Matos as a backup outfielder/defensive replacement for Griffey.

KronoRed
03-24-2006, 02:42 PM
Brandon Phillips stinks. He's an overhyped "prospect" who's failed in every chance Cleveland has given him. We've already got 37 second basemen, we don't need this guy thrown into the mix at Louisville with them.
He has youth on his side, not old vetness ;)

savafan
03-24-2006, 03:05 PM
I wonder if Juan Cruz could be an effective closer?

Danny Serafini
03-24-2006, 03:19 PM

But is he scrappy enough, that's the true question!

KearnsyEars
03-24-2006, 03:35 PM

Great thought, I was just getting ready to post it when I saw you had said the same thing. I think this guy has an electrifying arm. I WANT EM!

Spitball
03-24-2006, 04:02 PM

I have to wonder why he is about to be on his fourth team in four years. Maybe it's because his BB/K dropped from 30/70 in 2004 to 22/34 last year.

savafan
03-24-2006, 04:14 PM
I have to wonder why he is about to be on his fourth team in four years. Maybe it's because his BB/K dropped from 30/70 in 2004 to 22/34 last year.

My gut tells me he could be lights out in short relief though.

KearnsyEars
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
same....let him go balls to the wall for an inning. Oh yeah, he's money.

StillFunkyB
03-24-2006, 06:07 PM

I agree, but I also agree with the suck part. I doubt the guy could hit in Low A.

Sabo Fan
03-26-2006, 01:22 PM
The A's have dealt Cruz to the Diamondbacks for Brad Halsey.

Falls City Beer
03-26-2006, 01:25 PM
The A's have dealt Cruz to the Diamondbacks for Brad Halsey.

Yeah, that Beane--the guy needs to put away his slide rule and his calculator.

So stupid! He should definitely WATCH a game or two.

redsandrails
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
That probably means Saarloos is availible even more now. They already have Harden, Zito, Haren, Loiza and Halsey. I would offer Donoforia and a prospect for Saarloos or maybe even Freel (that would be a high price, however). He has enough upside though. I would definately swap Merker for Thompson. We should sign Calros Pena also.

KronoRed
03-26-2006, 02:55 PM
I agree, but I also agree with the suck part. I doubt the guy could hit in Low A.
....must resist Womack joke.....:devil:

redsandrails
03-26-2006, 02:59 PM
I forgot about Blanton....Oakland is LOADED with half decent starters.

-Harden
-Zito
-Haren
-Blanton
-Loiza
-Halsey
-Saarloos

I'm guessing 2 will go probably or will at least be very cheap. Right now with Harang, Claussen, Arroyo, Williams we could probably snag someone to replace Milton.

Jpup
03-26-2006, 03:02 PM
I forgot about Blanton....Oakland is LOADED with half decent starters.

-Harden
-Zito
-Haren
-Blanton
-Loiza
-Halsey
-Saarloos

I'm guessing 2 will go probably or will at least be very cheap. Right now with Harang, Claussen, Arroyo, Williams we could probably snag someone to replace Milton.

Milton is making too much money not to be given, at least, 10 chances by management.

Gallen5862
03-27-2006, 11:44 PM
http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/NASApp/mlb/content/printer_friendly/mlb/y2006/m03/d27/c1364625.jsp
Rangers cut ties with slugger Durazo
03/27/2006 9:13 PM ET
By T.R. Sullivan / MLB.com

SURPRISE, Ariz. -- The Rangers have released first baseman/designated hitter Erubiel Durazo.
Durazo was a last-minute addition to the Rangers' Spring Training roster as a possible alternative at designated hitter to Phil Nevin. But the Rangers have become satisfied that Nevin can fill the DH role, despite hitting just .229 this spring. Nevin has four home runs and 10 RBIs.

Durazo, who played for Mexico in the World Baseball Classic, was 5-for-23 this spring for the Rangers. He is coming off Tommy John elbow surgery, and is not yet ready to play first base. He also had an agreement with the Rangers that he could become a free agent if not placed on the roster by Wednesday.

This story was not subject to the approval of Major League Baseball or its clubs.
Do you think he would be worth a minor league contract to see if he can get healthy? I am thinking it might be worth a chance. If nothing else could be depth for the system.

REDREAD
03-28-2006, 09:31 AM
Do you think he would be worth a minor league contract to see if he can get healthy? I am thinking it might be worth a chance. If nothing else could be depth for the system.

Yeah, It'd be worth a minor league deal, but I'm not sure he'd take that now. Looks like he's holding out for a spot on someone's 25 man roster.

kheidg-
03-28-2006, 02:11 PM
What about Roberto Petagine who will be available later this week?

flyer85
03-28-2006, 02:20 PM
Krivsky did say last night he expected to see a lot of activity around baseball in this last week. Of course he didn't say anything about what the Reds may be looking for.

Bill
03-30-2006, 01:31 AM
Shapiro has worked out a deal with a team for Phillips it seems with the deal happening unless there is an injury in the next few days according to the Plain Dealer. Shap is big into player makeup and he does not like Phillips (that and that he thinks he is a HR hitter) whom is losing out to utility inf Ramon Vazquez. I guess we'll find out if Wayne has located the tribe's front office number after not calling them regarding Pena:

Veteran reliever Danny Graves, rookie catcher Kelly Shoppach and utility man Ramon Vazquez made the team Wednesday. Brandon Phillips, who lost the competition with Vazquez, said the Indians told him he'd be traded in three days.

"They won't do anything for three days in case somebody gets hurt," said Phillips.

The Indians break camp Saturday.

Phillips said he had "no idea' where he'd be traded. Phillips, out of options, could also be placed on waivers.

GAC
03-30-2006, 06:15 AM

Agree with you 100% on Phillips. Living here in central Ohio (borderline Reds-Indians country) I also follow the Indians. Phillips was a huge frustration and disappointment to the Indians. One of the things sighted on him was his work ethic/attitude.

But a .246 OB% and a .310 SLG% (a whoping .556 OPS) over a 135 games (career) (which also is a small window), is enough for me to say "Thanks, but no thanks!"

flyer85
03-30-2006, 07:58 AM
But a .246 OB% and a .310 SLG% (a whoping .556 OPS) over a 135 games (career) which interestingly enough is Womack's OPS from 2005.

KronoRed
03-30-2006, 02:48 PM
which interestingly enough is Womack's OPS from 2005.
:evil:

Phillips would be cheaper too ;)

Doc. Scott
03-30-2006, 03:43 PM
Here's a few released players that have showed up on the wire:

IF Deivi Cruz (St. Louis)
RHP John Wasdin (Texas)
OF Luis Terrero (Arizona)
RHP Kane Davis (Milwaukee)
RHP Kerry Ligtenberg (Florida)
C Geronimo Gil (Baltimore)
RHP Ricardo Rodriguez (Philadelphia)
UT Joe McEwing (KC)
RHP Brian Sikorski (SD)
LHP Valerio de los Santos (Washington)
RHP Ricky Bottalico (Baltimore)
IF Luis Lopez (Baltimore)
RHP Matt Mantei (Detroit)
RHP Jeff Heaverlo (Seattle)
IF Bobby Hill (SD)

Of course, we already know about OF Michael Tucker and 1B Carlos Pena.

Spitball
03-30-2006, 03:47 PM
Ricardo Rodriguez...a reminder that top prospects don't always pan out.

Doc. Scott
03-30-2006, 04:58 PM
Luckily McEwing was just acquired by Houston from KC for cash or a PTBNL. Before anyone gets any ideas.

Crash Davis
03-30-2006, 07:14 PM
Here's a few released players that have showed up on the wire:

IF Deivi Cruz (St. Louis)
RHP John Wasdin (Texas)
OF Luis Terrero (Arizona)
RHP Kane Davis (Milwaukee)
RHP Kerry Ligtenberg (Florida)
C Geronimo Gil (Baltimore)
RHP Ricardo Rodriguez (Philadelphia)
UT Joe McEwing (KC)
RHP Brian Sikorski (SD)
LHP Valerio de los Santos (Washington)
RHP Ricky Bottalico (Baltimore)
IF Luis Lopez (Baltimore)
RHP Matt Mantei (Detroit)
RHP Jeff Heaverlo (Seattle)
IF Bobby Hill (SD)

Of course, we already know about OF Michael Tucker and 1B Carlos Pena.

:barf: