PDA

View Full Version : Sad Pete Rose Story (recent trip to Vegas)

Edskin
03-24-2006, 09:15 AM
Had a blast in Vegas, but this was a bad moment

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

RFS62
03-24-2006, 11:06 AM
Nice work, Ed.

I hope you're happy. Now I'm sad too.

Edskin
03-24-2006, 11:38 AM
Sorry 62, it was just an ugly scene, IMO. But Vegas was a blast overall :)

smith288
03-24-2006, 11:41 AM
I would have went up and talked to him... Just out of pity.

Its sad when a no name programmer from Columbus would feel the pity upon one of the most famous athletes ever to wear a baseball uniform.

max venable
03-24-2006, 11:48 AM
How much $$$ did he want for an autograph?

Edskin
03-24-2006, 12:20 PM
max-- technically, you didn't "pay" for the autograph. Inside the store, there were several items you could purchase and then have those items signed. I did not go into the store, so I can't say what those items were or how much they were charging. Whatever it was, hardly anyone was paying attention.

REDREAD
03-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Well, Pete was there just to make a buck. I'm not sure he would've wanted a fan to shake his hand and get a free snapshot by the wife. I think you did right to stay away.

Although, when you think about it.. when did Pete last play? 86 or 87? Not many athletes have their autograph in demand 20 years after they retire.

RedsBaron
03-24-2006, 12:28 PM
Rose last played in 1986. The last 20 years of his life have not been pretty, and his probable future is not pretty, either. Rarely has anyone thrown so much away.

Chip R
03-24-2006, 12:43 PM
Although, when you think about it.. when did Pete last play? 86 or 87? Not many athletes have their autograph in demand 20 years after they retire.

From reading Edskin's blog it doesn't sound like it's too much in demand.

Sports memorabilia experts have sort of a joke about Pete's autograph and it's relative value. They say that it's not too valuable since it's rarer to find someone who doesn't have his autograph since he's signed so much.

max venable
03-24-2006, 12:46 PM
From reading Edskin's blog it doesn't sound like it's too much in demand.

Sports memorabilia experts have sort of a joke about Pete's autograph and it's relative value. They say that it's not too valuable since it's rarer to find someone who doesn't have his autograph since he's signed so much.
We need to have a RedsZone poll to find out what % of zoners have something signed by pete. I have a baseball, a 5x7, and an 8x10 all signed by Pete.

savafan
03-24-2006, 12:53 PM
I have an 8x10 signed by Pete, and tons signed by Pete II

RedFanAlways1966
03-24-2006, 01:02 PM
I have two pictures that are signed by Pete hanging in my den at home.

p.s. didn't pay a dime of my own money for either one (both were gifts from family members)

RFS62
03-24-2006, 01:08 PM
I've got two autographed baseballs done by the entire team in the mid sixties that I bought at Crosley. Back before they used stamps, and the players sat around the banquet tables signing balls.

Pete's on both of them.

TeamBoone
03-24-2006, 01:11 PM
I have a Reds ticket stub from 1993... we were both staying at the Embassy Suites in Blue Ash and he signed two of them for my daughter (after breakfast).... and she didn't have to pay him to do it.

Reds Fanatic
03-24-2006, 01:15 PM
I have a picture autographed by Pete I got when I was a kid back in the late 70's.

RedsBaron
03-24-2006, 01:19 PM
I have a 1969 scorecard signed by Rose, Bench and Perez.

macro
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Let's see, there's two 8x10s from the early 80s, two huge pictures of the BRM that he signed on along with the other members of the team, a baseball card, a baseball my dad caught in the 1978 season at Riverfront, and probably more that I can't think of. I'd be willing to bet that Pete has signed his name more than any other athlete in history.

Chip R
03-24-2006, 01:39 PM
A former girlfriend got something signed by him and Pete, Jr. for me. Not sure if I still have it, though. :confused:

MartyFan
03-24-2006, 02:19 PM
Booo-frickin-whoo...consider this his working at the 7-11...big deal, sad, yes but he brought it all on himself and he "Hustles" his wears anywhere and seems to live it up on TBDSSA

wally post
03-24-2006, 02:38 PM
that was incredibly well written! lovely piece, Ed!
and BTW, I have a reds home jersey signed by pete. It's probably worth about 20 bucks now...

savafan
03-24-2006, 02:42 PM
There was a rumor back in the late 1980's before the gambling investigation that Pete had two old ladies in Cincinnati sign things that were sent to him in the mail.

Roy Tucker
03-24-2006, 02:43 PM
I've got a 1969 Reds scorecard signed by Pete Rose, Bobby Tolan, Jim Merritt, Lee May, and Woody Woodward. And a mustard stain from my dad's hotdog.

max venable
03-24-2006, 02:47 PM
Oh, here's another one I forgot about...one of your posts reminded me that I have:

an 8x10 with the 'Big four', Pete, Tony, Johnny, and Joe...at the AS game in Detroit. It's signed by each of them AND it's matted and framed WITH each of their ROOKIE cards.

It's VERY cool. And...I'm open to offers (I want to buy a Harley :cool: )

vaticanplum
03-24-2006, 02:49 PM
I am curious as to why Pete attracts so much venom so many years on. Specifically, I am curious as to whether it is because this is a Reds board, and if he means this much to fans of other teams either way. In my experience, no, but I'm curious to hear your thoughts on this.

Pete Rose is an absolute jerk, he's done nothing right over the last couple of decades, and every chance it seems he has to redeem himself he just throws himself further into a black hole of badness. I don't care for him personally. As a baseball fan, I respect what he did as a player, but I was too little when he played for any of it to really mean much to me personally, so my dislike of him and his off-field actions isn't really balanced out by the high points of his career. But ok, he's a jerk. I know this and I don't really care anymore. It just seems like every time his name is mentioned -- which is very, very often here considering how long he's been out of baseball -- people want to hang him all over again, embracing it as yet another opportunity to dissect all of his shortcomings.

I could sit here and start naming athletes who are jerks and have thrown stuff away senselessly, and if I listed them all consecutively, I would not have a dent in the list by the time I left work today. But we don't talk about any of them nearly as much as we do about Pete Rose. I guess the second most-spewed-about athlete right now is Bonds, but Giants fans still seem wholly supportive of him, and I seriously doubt that Bonds will have such a hated presence on message boards 20 years from now. (Note: I'm not trying to start another steroids v. gambling debate, more using them as examples of noted jerks who attract a lot of vitriol for their personalities.)

As I said, Pete Rose does not attract nearly this much hate in the non-Reds circles that I know, although this could just be my experience. But I guess my question is: even though he was a Red and did great things for the ballclub, is the reason some of you hate him SO much precisely BECAUSE he played for your team? Because he broke your heart or whatever?

I hope the tone of this isn't attacking; I have no problem with people feeling towards him whatever they want and I'm not debating what an a-hat he is but I'm genuinely curious as to the cause of such furious hatred. Also Ed, this isn't related to your original post -- more to the reaction to it and the general feeling towards Rose I've gotten on this board.

OldXOhio
03-24-2006, 02:51 PM
I have a large, signed, wall sized photo of the big 4 and Sparky that was bought in the same Caesar's mall area that Edskin saw Pete signing this week.

Red in Chicago
03-24-2006, 02:59 PM
for what it's worth, i'm going to vegas in may and i'm hoping that he's still there for me to go and see...(rose's website only goes through the end of april, so i'm not sure) i will gladly shell out a few bucks for an autograph, a picture and a chance to talk with him for a few minutes...

pete is the first ballplayer that i can remember as a kid...(and this is from someone growing up in chicago, not cincinnati)...i admired the hustle, loved the head-first slides and crouching batting stance...

sure, the gambling tarnished my image of him, but it could never take away all of those fond memories that i still have of the ball player...he got me interested in the game...

i haven't seen rose in person since the final game at cinergy field a few years ago...i'm certainly looking forward to seeing him again, even if it is in vegas, next to some elvis impersonators;)

cReds1
03-24-2006, 03:49 PM
Had a blast in Vegas, but this was a bad moment

www.edkleese.blogspot.com

He must not be doing as bad as you think....

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/baseball/2006-01-10-rose_x.htm

This was a very nice article on his situation back in Jan 06.

Pete Rose's full-time job these days is hustling his signature, and he is paid more than a million dollars to do it.

Prices range from $69.99 for autographed 8x10s to $399 for a jersey package that includes a signed photo or ball. He is paid a monthly sum by Mounted Memories and Dreams Inc. His compensation is determined by the business he generates.

Selig needs to get off his high horse and let the man in the HOF! Amazing how fans can accept steroid use and drug use, but fail to accept a person who betted on baseball and has served his punishment without a second chance.

I could care less what the rules state. He deserves a second chance, period!

cReds1
03-24-2006, 03:59 PM
another good article with his interview...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2295922

i am sure you guys have discussed this before.

37red
03-24-2006, 05:03 PM
You couldn't expect him to draw a crowd away from the sale at Victoria's Secret

Cant Touch This
03-24-2006, 06:02 PM
While he is still here, I should take my ticket stub from September 11, 1985 to have him sign that.

realreds1
03-24-2006, 08:43 PM
"The time you won your town the race
We chaired you through the market-place;
Man and boy stood cheering by,
And home we brought you shoulder-high.

To-day, the road all runners come,
Shoulder-high we bring you home,
And set you at your threshold down,
Townsman of a stiller town..."

4256 Hits
03-24-2006, 09:29 PM
I have a signed box score from hit 4192. My favorite collectors item is a limited (4192 made) silver (1 oz?)coin comemorating hit 4192.

LoganBuck
03-25-2006, 12:35 AM
You couldn't expect him to draw a crowd away from the sale at Victoria's Secret

What he said!

macro
03-25-2006, 02:35 AM
for what it's worth, i'm going to vegas in may and i'm hoping that he's still there for me to go and see...(rose's website only goes through the end of april, so i'm not sure) i will gladly shell out a few bucks for an autograph, a picture and a chance to talk with him for a few minutes...

Same here. I met him in Louisville three or four years ago, and I was caught off-guard by how personable and willing to chat that he was.

As a kid growing up in the 70s, I considered Major League baseball players, and Reds players in particular, to be beyond human. Rather than driving to Riverfront in cars, I think I really believed that they floated to the stadium on a cloud or something. That aspect of being awestruck must've stuck with me into adulthood, because when I had the chance to meet him, I was very nervous, and blew my chance to make even more small-talk with him than I did. If I ever get the chance again, I will take advantage and talk with him as long as I can.

Regardless of what Pete has done, he and #5 will always be my heroes, along with Joe, Tony, Foster, Griffey, and all the rest. People like that assemble themselves for a common cause once in a lifetime, and I cherish every game I saw them play from 1972 until 1978.

GAC
03-25-2006, 04:15 AM
Good piece of writing Ed. But a very sad situation.

Whenever I think of Pete anymore, I think of how the ego (pride) that drove him to excel at the game and made him such an icon, was also his downfall.

I still remember running into Pete back in '66 (as an 11 year old) at Crosley Field prior to the game, and how I stood there in awe as kids were scramblng around him trying to get an autograph.

And I think of what could have been - as far as what he could have contributed to the game after he left, had all this not occurred. What a waste.

Edskin
03-25-2006, 11:04 AM
First of all, thanks for reading, I really appreciate it.

But I want to clear something up:

I do NOT "hate" Pete Rose. I have never had an encounter with him, and most of the people I know who have met him describe him as friendly and accomodating.

This entire article was based on the irony that after almost 20 years, there sits Pete, in the gambling mecca of the world, hocking his signature. It just struck me as a bit sad that this is where he has wound up-- and that the majority of people barely even noticed him.

I did not write that to dog-pile on his already tarnished character. It was a simple observation. I have NO "venom" for Rose-- I actually wish him well personally and believe he should be in the HOF (but not back in baseball).

We all have flaws, we all make mistakes, but it just seems to me that Rose is totally unable to distance himself from the very scene that took his career away.

TeamCasey
03-25-2006, 01:22 PM
I believe he charges $50 for a signed ball. That was from a sidewalk in Cooperstown during the inductions.

Red in Chicago
03-25-2006, 05:46 PM
ed, my only problem with your post was the following:

"I shook my head and walked away. I may have lost earlier that day, but at least I wasn’t a loser".

kind of a cheap shot in my opinion...

Edskin
03-25-2006, 07:48 PM
Red--

It's a harsh statement, but honestly, seeing Rose made me feel a whole lot better about myself-- just an honest take.

marcshoe
03-25-2006, 07:56 PM
I thought the article was excellent. And depressing. It made me remember back in the early seventies when I was a grade school kid with a Pete Rose poster on my wall and a pair of Jeans with pictures of Rose and Bench crocheted on the knees. What happens to childhood heroes sometimes makes a person think about their own life a bit too much, I think.

Chip R
03-25-2006, 09:42 PM
This entire article was based on the irony that after almost 20 years, there sits Pete, in the gambling mecca of the world, hocking his signature. It just struck me as a bit sad that this is where he has wound up-- and that the majority of people barely even noticed him.

You know, I am not so sure that if the whole betting on baseball thing never happened, that he would not be doing the same thing he is doing now.

jmcclain19
03-26-2006, 01:13 AM
I think everyone is missing some parts of the story here.

Rose is at Casears 15 times a month. Repeat that - every other day of every month he's in Vegas hawking his autograph. No one is paying him to come back with that kind of frequency if he's not making bank for that business.

I've been to Vegas four times in the last 24 months. I've seen him in Casears on every trip. Twice he had a monster sized crowd around him, two other times I walked by and there wasn't a soul who seemed interested in him signing. Heck, I was in a little bistro in Paris-Las Vegas getting a meal last march madness and sat at the table across from him - he saw my reds hat on and gave me a wink and a thumbs up.

It's $50 for an autograph - $100 for an autograph and to have your picture taken with him. I picked up two baseballs from him on one trip - one for my father and one for my grandfather. We talked for a few minutes - it was one of the non busy times, where I told him that the last time I tried to get his autographs he was swamped and he said "it comes and goes". But he was nice overall.

Rose did an interview in this month's FHM where he said that the Casears deal is a two-fer for him. He gets to easily bet on the horses and it's a nice chunk of change for him.

I wouldn't be giving Pete the old "poor him" story. He's making out fine - and keeping plenty busy. Just because he wasn't at that moment doesn't mean he isn't all the time. Businesses aren't stupid, and they aren't going to pay Pete that huge retainer if it isn't making money.

Ravenlord
03-26-2006, 02:24 AM
i used to love Pete Rose the player, and a little bit of the man. still do to some extent. however, i find myself more and more wishing Ichiro started his career in America so that a man who deserves the title of Hit King could have it. Pete Rose is a study in Gambling Addiction. a 12-step program would do him good, except that the thing that made him hold on to become the hit king is the same thing that keeps him from admiting he has a problem.

i love Pete. i hate Pete. and i think in the end, most people feel that way.

marcshoe
03-26-2006, 08:39 AM

I wouldn't be giving Pete the old "poor him" story. He's making out fine - and keeping plenty busy. Just because he wasn't at that moment doesn't mean he isn't all the time. Businesses aren't stupid, and they aren't going to pay Pete that huge retainer if it isn't making money.

Yet everything you've pointed out here adds to the conception of Rose being the central figure in a Shakesperean tragedy. He seems continually drawn to the one thing that has been his downfall.

Perhaps he has not gambling problem. Perhaps he is living the life he chooses. If that is the case, he has chosen this life over the one that he claims to love.

And while his one-time fans continue to lose whatever sympathy we had for him, it's hard not to see the tragic elements of this when we remember him way-back-then.

RedRoser
03-26-2006, 09:26 AM
ed:

I believe it is utterly despicable to call another human being a loser. Also, I don't see how a true Reds fan could be quite as harsh when saying things about a man who has brought so much to Cincinnati.
As a fellow writer and English teacher, I feel led to point this out also. You wrote in your blog:

"I simply couldn’t bring myself to ask a man for which I have no respect to sign anything for me. . ."

I believe it should've been "a man for WHOM I have no respect. . ."

Nevertheless, I find it rather sad that you claim you have no respect for my childhood hero. Like you and I, he is simply a man and he made some mistakes. Because of his celebrity status, his were made public. I would hope that neither you nor I would call the other of us a "loser" should our mistakes be made known to the world.

"Let he who is without sin cast the first stone."

Respectfully,
---RedRoser

Edskin
03-26-2006, 11:26 AM
Roser-- Valid points to be sure. Whenever you post something with a strong statement, you should expect to be analyzed-- I accept that.

Again, I am certainly not w/o sin. I am not even saying that I have made fewer mistakes than Rose. The point is that I think I and the rest of the world may be more willing to forgive and forget if Rose hadn't LIED for SO long. I do NOT hate Rose, and I don't hold him to a higher standard than I do myself or anyone else. I am simply baffled that he continues to put himself in what seem to be "sad" situations.

Not sad because he needs the money-- I am quite sure he's doing just fine, as others have pointed out. But it just struck me that here sits my baseball idol when I was kid, and I had NO desire to even meet the man.

The "loser" comment may have been harsh, I meant it more "poetically" than literally, but to be honest, that's how I felt at the time.

Red in Chicago
03-26-2006, 12:03 PM
I've been to Vegas four times in the last 24 months. I've seen him in Casears on every trip. Twice he had a monster sized crowd around him, two other times I walked by and there wasn't a soul who seemed interested in him signing.

wow, 4 times in the last 2 years must be nice...i only get to vegas once a year and absolutely love it...when you've gone to see pete, did you simply walk up and stand in line or did you make some sort of reservation? i haven't thoroughly checked out the website yet for all the details...

as for gambling, what's your game...blackjack, craps??

Reds1
03-26-2006, 03:07 PM
I've got a signed baseball from on older commish. No COA.

BoydsOfSummer
03-26-2006, 03:22 PM
Call it like you see it, Edskin. He is a loser. In more ways than one and with the exception of his on field play.

That oughta get me negged.

RedsBaron
03-27-2006, 06:44 AM
i love Pete. i hate Pete. and i think in the end, most people feel that way.
Sadly, yes.

Crosley68
03-27-2006, 08:24 AM
Boyds and Ed.....Pete is no loser. You guys can't pick and choose what parts of his life you want to judge. If you want to judge him, consider the whole picture. He has lots of ups and downs for sure, but a loser?

My children get punished for calling anyone a loser, where are your moms and dads?

Deepred05
03-27-2006, 09:08 AM
Loser? a tad harsh. I don't look at any of my "heroes" in the same light I did as a kid. The awe factor is definitely gone. Perhaps being in the casino business and seeing so many "stars" has done this to me, but most of the celebrities out there are true jackasses anyway. If Pete takes the time to talk to folks, that speaks volumes to me.....

Edskin
03-27-2006, 10:32 AM
Well, I guess it's how you read what I wrote and how you view the word "loser." The context in which I used that word was more to describe a feeling of the moment, rather than color someone as a whole. That's the risk you take when you write things down-- it is left to interpratation.

BoydsOfSummer
03-27-2006, 05:31 PM
To the person who negged me and asked if I'd call Pete a loser face to face. Probably. I told Kal Daniels he was one face to face, I guess Pete would be no different.

westofyou
03-27-2006, 05:33 PM
To the person who negged me

I'll be the first to say, the neg was a *loser* move.

Doc. Scott
03-27-2006, 05:38 PM
My children get punished for calling anyone a loser, where are your moms and dads?

My children will only be punished if they're wrong about it.

Okay, a little joke to lighten the mood already. (Edskin, I try to call actions stupid or loserly, not people. Pete has, like some of us, done a lot of capital-L Loser-grade stuff in his life, but he's also done more unequivocal capital-W Winning than most ever even sniff.)

For me, the sad part about the Rose saga has always been his limited ability to accept what he made happen. The fact that he can't stop gambling just punctuates it.

Caseyfan21
08-21-2006, 02:07 AM
I thought I'd top this one rather than start a new thread.

I was in Vegas this weekend and saw Pete in the mall next to Casears, the forum shopps. We weren't even looking to see him (going to see the exotic cars) but quickly made a detour to check it out when we saw posters. Also, Johnny Bench was there earlier in the day.

I took quite a few pics of Rose and will try to post some later this week when I get some time to empty my memory card.

Wheelhouse
08-21-2006, 03:39 AM
ed:

I believe it is utterly despicable to call another human being a loser. Also, I don't see how a true Reds fan could be quite as harsh when saying things about a man who has brought so much to Cincinnati.
As a fellow writer and English teacher, I feel led to point this out also. You wrote in your blog:

"I simply couldn’t bring myself to ask a man for which I have no respect to sign anything for me. . ."

Nevertheless, I find it rather sad that you claim you have no respect for my childhood hero. Like you and I, he is simply a man and he made some mistakes. Because of his celebrity status, his were made public. I would hope that neither you nor I would call the other of us a "loser" should our mistakes be made known to the world.

Respectfully,
---RedRoser

Hmmmm. I love Pete, but I think the thing that bothered so many of us who were and are his fans, is not his mistake, but his refusal to acknowledge it for so long. Frankly, I think the reason MLB gives a hoot about gambling is that it's the one sin that really threatens the profitibility of the game--people will come to see a team of crack-addicts play, if they are good. But no one will come to a game they think is fixed. So it's all about dollars.

But Pete kept BSing for so long, even after he admitted gambling, and for Ed to see him in a casino, after pleading for our sympathy for years is pathetic, and I can see why he called him a loser.

37red
08-21-2006, 08:06 AM
First you need to seperate the idol images here. You have the oh he's my hero baseball player idol image, then the oh he's my life's hero image and then there's the long past prime image. Pete Rose was one exciting baseball player and played like there was no tomorrow or people wouldn't still be discussing him. To say he's a life like hero would raise my eyebrows and my eyes would roll around in my head, everything points the other way on that one. Give it up, he threw a lot away, give him an error. It's his business not ours but I'd bet 2 to 1 that the majority of his fans would say he shouldn't have finished like he did, ended up a loser, and could have walked away with pride. Now past prime Pete may be happy in Vegas doing his thing and he may feel like he won the roll of the dice, but my bet is on the observers not the observed.

savafan
08-21-2006, 08:09 AM
people will come to see a team of crack-addicts play, if they are good. But no one will come to a game they think is fixed. So it's all about dollars.

I dunno....lots of people pay to see professional wrestling...

Cant Touch This
08-21-2006, 09:03 AM
ed:

Respectfully,
---RedRoser

RedRoser - Way to call out Ed's grammar. Quick observation:

"Like you and I, he is simply a man and he made some mistakes."

You sure about that...?

TeamBoone
08-21-2006, 01:48 PM
RedRoser - Way to call out Ed's grammar. Quick observation:

"Like you and I, he is simply a man and he made some mistakes."

You sure about that...?

In that context, it should be "like you and me".

37red
08-21-2006, 01:55 PM
you guys are tough, you're making me nervous

dabvu2498
08-21-2006, 01:57 PM
you guys are tough, you're making me nervous
At least you didn't say "your" making me nervous. :thumbup:

Cant Touch This
08-21-2006, 02:00 PM
No worries 37. I bet if you don't question someone's grammar completely out of context on a baseball forum, your messages won't be scrutinized by the Society for Professional Journalists either.

WVRedsFan
08-21-2006, 03:10 PM
I got in on this late and the article is missing--the last one being about Sean Taylor and the one before that was authored in May.

Probablyk glad I missed it. Nothing worse than seeing an old man fight for a dollar. And I loved Pete. I'd rather remember head first slides and big hits.