PDA

View Full Version : CIN/STL Trade Idea

Newman4
03-24-2006, 11:08 AM
Ok, the Cards just sent down Anthony Reyes. They have a glaring need for an outfielder. How about Kearns for Reyes?

HalMorrisRules
03-24-2006, 11:17 AM
With StL in the same division, I personally wouldnt make any trade with StL unless it was for some guy named Pujols.

Which gets me to thinking, is there any other player, on any team in the league, that would be considered "more untouchable" as far as trades go than Pujols? When you consider his age and his production, just quickly thinking real fast as I type this, I cant think of anyone immediately coming to mind.

M2
03-24-2006, 11:22 AM
With StL in the same division, I personally wouldnt make any trade with StL unless it was for some guy named Pujols.

God forbid the Reds help themselves.

Anyway, my standing offer remains Dave Williams for Adam Wainwright. Now if only Wayne Krivsky would just run that past Walt Jocketty.

Krusty
03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Just out of curiosity......would you trade Dunn for Pujols?

registerthis
03-24-2006, 11:39 AM
Just out of curiosity......would you trade Dunn for Pujols?

Yep, and I wouldn't even think twice.

kbrake
03-24-2006, 11:40 AM
Yes I would trade Dunn for Pujols, and I would have no problem dealing Kearns in our division if it was for a good arm.

redsfanfalcon
03-24-2006, 11:42 AM
Who in their right mind wouldn't trade Dunn for Pujols? Pujols is a solid guy that hits for average, power, and has more steals than Dunn!

redsfanfalcon
03-24-2006, 11:44 AM
God forbid the Reds help themselves.

Anyway, my standing offer remains Dave Williams for Adam Wainwright. Now if only Wayne Krivsky would just run that past Walt Jocketty.
I really don't think St. Louis wants a pitcher that is average at best in Williams for a up and comer like Wainright. The Cardinals didn't get where they are today making silly trades like that one. :rolleyes:

M2
03-24-2006, 11:49 AM
I really don't think St. Louis wants a pitcher that is average at best in Williams for a up and comer like Wainright. The Cardinals didn't get where they are today making silly trades like that one. :rolleyes:

And yet Tony LaRussa has stated openly that he thinks Dave Williams is a pretty groovy pitcher and the Cardinals need a lefty long man in the pen.

I'd find out if LaRussa really meant what he said.

rdiersin
03-24-2006, 12:35 PM
And yet Tony LaRussa has stated openly that he thinks Dave Williams is a pretty groovy pitcher and the Cardinals need a lefty long man in the pen.

Then I would imagine that someone in the Reds front office better leak the rumor. That way Jockety won't be able to hide it from LaRussa. ;)

Newman4
03-24-2006, 12:37 PM

M2, not doubting what you're saying, but do you have a link or source? I probably just missed it, but I never heard of LaRussa's affection for Mr. Williams.

M2
03-24-2006, 12:39 PM
M2, not doubting what you're saying, but do you have a link or source? I probably just missed it, but I never heard of LaRussa's affection for Mr. Williams.

It got posted here a bunch of times back when the Williams deal went down. You can probably find it by doing a board search on "Williams, LaRussa"

dunndawg
03-24-2006, 12:42 PM
HalMorris,

I think Miguel Cabrera is entering that territory. He isn't more untouchable than Pujols right now, but he is getting close.

HalMorrisRules
03-24-2006, 01:17 PM
HalMorris,

I think Miguel Cabrera is entering that territory. He isn't more untouchable than Pujols right now, but he is getting close.

I would have thought Dontrelle Willis too but that might not be true acording to things I've read here today.

Felix Hernandez probably would come close to Pujols too.

red-in-la
03-24-2006, 01:57 PM
Would you trade Homer Bailey, Kearns and EdwinE to the Fish for Willis and Cabrera?

Would that deal make the Reds a contender?

Barbarossa
03-24-2006, 02:05 PM
Where do I sign?

Yes!:beerme:

Newman4
03-24-2006, 02:25 PM
Would you trade Homer Bailey, Kearns and EdwinE to the Fish for Willis and Cabrera?

Here's scary thought: Cabrera is actually younger than EdwinE

red-in-la
03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
But I think he is much more expensive.

Phhhl
03-24-2006, 04:15 PM
It got posted here a bunch of times back when the Williams deal went down. You can probably find it by doing a board search on "Williams, LaRussa"

LaRussa said it, and I think Castellini was listening. I think we have Tony Womack here because he was a Cardinal who had a decent season two years ago. Some of the last moves DanO made were influenced by Castellini's experience in St. Louis, and he had to sign off on them. Incidentally, I also think that is why we have three catchers in camp right now, and will probably go north with three... LaRussa has been doing that for years.

I'm not being critical of these things. But, the Cardinals have not been successful in recent years because of lucking out on a bad player like Womack, LaRussa's expertise on the subject of young pitching or his annoying tendancy to see how many defensive subsititutions and pitching changes he can accomplish in a single game. In fact, those are probably three of the weakest explanations for the success of that club in the last five years. If we want to imitate the Cardinals, get talented players like Pujols, Edmonds, Rolen and Carpenter. I have seen nothing more than the talent of their core players to seperate that organization from anybody else. While that's nothing to sneeze at, I don't think following their lead down to the most minute tactical detail is going to accomplish anything at all.

I trust Krivsky to put his own signature on this thing from here on out.

Newman4
03-24-2006, 04:27 PM
So.............anyone for Kearns for Reyes?

VI_RedsFan
03-24-2006, 04:32 PM

I would definately do it. But, I'm a little shakey about trading Kearns to a team in our division.

buckeyenut
03-24-2006, 04:58 PM

As much as I like all three guys on the Reds side, I would and I would sweeten it if I had to. And because of the money involved, FLA just might consider that as well. Would be a great chance for Castellini to put his money where his mouth is regarding making CIN a contender, by ponying up the $$ difference.

KronoRed
03-24-2006, 05:07 PM

I'd do that deal, the fish wouldn't unless we throw in Votto and a few more pitchers.

REDREAD
03-25-2006, 04:01 PM

I'd do that trade in a heartbeat. Heck, I'd probably do it for only Willis.

Not sure it would make the Reds a contender though.. Willis can't pitch every day.. But it would probably solidly move them out of 5th place.

REDREAD
03-25-2006, 04:02 PM
Ok, the Cards just sent down Anthony Reyes. They have a glaring need for an outfielder. How about Kearns for Reyes?

Yes, I'd do that. Most definitely.

jared7817
03-25-2006, 04:11 PM

NO! That is one of the dumbest things I have ever heard....

However, the Kearns, Nelson, and Edwin trade for Willis and Cabrera sounds pretty solid. I would make that deal in a heartbeat.

scounts22
03-25-2006, 04:30 PM

You're referring to Dennys Reyes, right? :evil:

VI_RedsFan
03-25-2006, 05:12 PM

Why? So then I guess you think trading for one of the best pitching prospects in the game is dumb. :rolleyes:

Newman4
03-25-2006, 07:39 PM

However, the Kearns, Nelson, and Edwin trade for Willis and Cabrera sounds pretty solid. I would make that deal in a heartbeat.

Yeah replace Homer with Nelson and that makes the deal even better.

Why the hate for Reyes?

Izzardius
03-26-2006, 04:09 AM
Reyes is a good prospect, and given the current state of pitching in the Reds system, I would pull that if I was Krivsky. However, if I was Jocketty, I would wait and see if the LF platoon of Rodriguez/Taguchi works out(Larry Bigbie is hurt now) and if it doesn't maybe male a trade at the deadline when more will be available.

MattyHo4Life
03-26-2006, 04:46 AM

I agree, but not in the same sense that you mean it. Anthony Reyes is one of the top pitching spects in baseball, and Kearns still hasn't lived up to his potential. The Cardinals would regret trading Reyes. He is in AAA because the Cardinals don't need him in the rotation yet, and he could use a little more time in the minors. The Cardinals will need him in the rotation next year.

Kearns' trade value is low, and Reyes' is high. A Kearns for Wainwright trade is more realistic.

Izzardius
03-26-2006, 02:02 PM
I agree, but not in the same sense that you mean it. Anthony Reyes is one of the top pitching spects in baseball, and Kearns still hasn't lived up to his potential. The Cardinals would regret trading Reyes. He is in AAA because the Cardinals don't need him in the rotation yet, and he could use a little more time in the minors. The Cardinals will need him in the rotation next year.

Kearns' trade value is low, and Reyes' is high. A Kearns for Wainwright trade is more realistic.

I'm wouldn't even give up Wainwright for him right now. Kearns has had some success in the majors but hasn't shown he's completely over being flattened by Ray King a few years ago. And while you can't read too much into ST stats, Wainwright appears to be putting it together and is only 23. I not saying I wouldn't deal him, just not now when there isn't a whole lot to be had.

flyer85
03-26-2006, 02:05 PM
Ok, the Cards just sent down Anthony Reyes. They have a glaring need for an outfielder. How about Kearns for Reyes?not going to happen

MattyHo4Life
03-26-2006, 02:34 PM
I'm wouldn't even give up Wainwright for him right now. Kearns has had some success in the majors but hasn't shown he's completely over being flattened by Ray King a few years ago. And while you can't read too much into ST stats, Wainwright appears to be putting it together and is only 23. I not saying I wouldn't deal him, just not now when there isn't a whole lot to be had.

I wouldn't either, but I think it is a lot more realistic than Anthony Reyes. Reyes isn't going to be traded for anybody. I like Wainwright a lot, and I wish there was a way to fit him into the Cardinals rotation now. Besides, I'm not conviced that Kearns would even hit better than Rodriguez.

Jpup
03-26-2006, 02:39 PM
How about Arroyo for Reyes?

MattyHo4Life
03-26-2006, 02:45 PM

You're just playing with me now...aren't you? :)

MattyHo4Life
03-26-2006, 02:49 PM
I would definately do it. But, I'm a little shakey about trading Kearns to a team in our division.

Imagine how nervous the Cardinals would be trading a future Ace to a team in their own division.

Jpup
03-26-2006, 02:50 PM
You're just playing with me now...aren't you? :)

I know that you would rather have Reyes, as would I, but I don't know is LaRussa and Jocketty would feel the same.

MattyHo4Life
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
I know that you would rather have Reyes, as would I, but I don't know is LaRussa and Jocketty would feel the same.

I can't imagine anybody would prefer Arroyo over Reyes.

Jpup
03-26-2006, 02:54 PM
I can't imagine anybody would prefer Arroyo over Reyes.

You ever heard of Dan O'brien?

MattyHo4Life
03-26-2006, 03:00 PM
You ever heard of Dan O'brien?

Ok...you have me there.

I could see LaRussa putting Arroyo in the rotation over Reyes if Arroyo was already on the team, to give Reyes more time in the minors. I don't see Jocketty ever considering a trade involving Arroyo and Reyes.

VI_RedsFan
03-26-2006, 04:53 PM
Imagine how nervous the Cardinals would be trading a future Ace to a team in their own division.

Good point.

Izzardius
03-26-2006, 05:06 PM
No.