PDA

View Full Version : Zimpher leaving UC?

Reds4Life
03-24-2006, 01:07 PM
Willy says she's interviewing for the President's position at Northwestern.

PLEASE HIRE NANCY, PLEASE! He better not be joking about this.

savafan
03-24-2006, 01:21 PM
Why would Northwestern want to cripple their athletic teams?

Cedric
03-24-2006, 01:22 PM
They have athletic teams there?

traderumor
03-24-2006, 01:23 PM
Why would Northwestern want to cripple their athletic teams?They are already practicing what she has been trying to implement at UC--athletic success without sacrificing academic integrity. It is a goal that is given lip service to by many institutions (like my alma mater, tOSU), but Northwestern actually practices it. Duke is also a model.

Cedric
03-24-2006, 01:26 PM
They are already practicing what she has been trying to implement at UC--athletic success without sacrificing academic integrity. It is a goal that is given lip service to by many institutions (like my alma mater, tOSU), but Northwestern actually practices it. Duke is also a model.

Private institution. Not even worth comparing, though I see you are trying.

LincolnparkRed
03-24-2006, 01:26 PM
They are already practicing what she has been trying to implement at UC--athletic success without sacrificing academic integrity. It is a goal that is given lip service to by many institutions (like my alma mater, tOSU), but Northwestern actually practices it. Duke is also a model.

Corey Maggette and Chris Duhon's mom might change your opinion of Duke as the lily-white institution that most claim it to be.

westofyou
03-24-2006, 01:27 PM
Private institution. Not even worth comparing, though I see you are trying.
Hey, isn't the goal education?

I mean "common sense" says that's the real goal right?

Cedric
Corey Maggette and Chris Duhon's mom might change your opinion of Duke as the lily-white institution that most claim it to be.

Exactly. Not too mention that comparing any private school to a state run school makes no sense.

Cedric
Hey, isn't the goal education?

I mean "common sense" says that's the real goal right?

The goal is common sense. Admission standards are gonna make the graduation rates a wee bit different.

If you want to make TOSU a school for the elite students than so be it. I prefer schools give more chances to kids that might not do as well in school.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 01:32 PM
Yea, we wouldn't want state schools to have athletic success while not sacrificing academic integrity. :confused:

Not sure why that concept isn't comparable between state and private schools.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 01:33 PM
Corey Maggette and Chris Duhon's mom might change your opinion of Duke as the lily-white institution that most claim it to be.Of course, no one here has claimed that in this thread.

Chip R
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Willy says she's interviewing for the President's position at Northwestern.

PLEASE HIRE NANCY, PLEASE! He better not be joking about this.

Willy could be joking about this? He'd never do something like that. :rolleyes:

Cedric
03-24-2006, 01:36 PM
Yea, we wouldn't want state schools to have athletic success while not sacrificing academic integrity. :confused:

Not sure why that concept isn't comparable between state and private schools.

How hard is it to realize that it's not probable? If you wanna raise admission standards to astronomical standards than it's more likely.

Are you advocating that? I guess you want about half the nation to not go to school, just so you can say that the school you went to has amazing standards.

Yes there is a huge difference between state run colleges and private one's.

Michigan is considered one of the best universities in the nation and their athletic teams do not have any more strict standards than TOSU or UC.

LincolnparkRed
03-24-2006, 01:43 PM
Of course, no one here has claimed that in this thread.

I just wanted to point out that Duke may not be the model that you are looking for when you talk about schools UC should pattern themselves after if they are committed to academics. I have never heard anything bad about Northwestern but if you look hard enough, there are plenty of things you can find out about Duke.

Roy Tucker
03-24-2006, 01:46 PM
Nancy has laudable goals. Nothing wrong with academic excellence and balance between scholarship and athletics. It's been her execution that has been lacking.

Having a child going to college this fall, I've found that UC and tOSU (and others) are enormously more selective than in my day. When I went, you had to prove you could exchange O2 for CO2 and that was about it. I barely got in.

beb30
03-24-2006, 01:47 PM
It's all apart of Zimphers plan to wreck and change as many Universities current plans.

TRADERUMOR, look at teams that are IVY league they haven't had a competive athletic team in how long? When's the last time one won a national championship? And I'm not talking about chess here. If you want to win you will sacrifice admission standards to allow the best players in the country to come and play for your University. Duke does it, Florida does it, as well as many other programs. UC is not the only program that have the brightest student athletes. Look at UConn just this offseason one of Calhoun's players got caught stealing a laptop.....

Cedric
03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
It's all apart of Zimphers plan to wreck and change as many Universities current plans.

TRADERUMOR, look at teams that are IVY league they haven't had a competive athletic team in how long? When's the last time one won a national championship? And I'm not talking about chess here. If you want to win you will sacrifice admission standards to allow the best players in the country to come and play for your University. Duke does it, Florida does it, as well as many other programs. UC is not the only program that have the brightest student athletes. Look at UConn just this offseason one of Calhoun's players got caught stealing a laptop.....

You shouldn't sacrifice to no end. But there HAS to be a little sacrifice on standards or you wouldn't field a team. And college sports are integral to a University experience.

Chip R
03-24-2006, 01:49 PM
The truth is that most athletes can't get in to college if they were held to the same standards as the general population is.

Reds4Life
03-24-2006, 01:53 PM
Update from Willy.

He said a lawyer who he knows, that represents high profile people in the city, told him Zimpher is interviewing with Northwestern today. He said she feels she's burned too many bridges to stay here and it's time to move on.

beb30
03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Good get the hell out :angry:

ochre
03-24-2006, 01:56 PM
Over under on how long it takes her to run Randy Walker off? :)

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 02:10 PM
Now I am very much in favor of high academic standards, but I always thought the purpose of college is to prepare students for a career. You could argue that athletics is simply the career that some students are being prepared for.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 02:12 PM

TRADERUMOR, look at teams that are IVY league they haven't had a competive athletic team in how long? When's the last time one won a national championship? And I'm not talking about chess here. If you want to win you will sacrifice admission standards to allow the best players in the country to come and play for your University. Duke does it, Florida does it, as well as many other programs. UC is not the only program that have the brightest student athletes. Look at UConn just this offseason one of Calhoun's players got caught stealing a laptop.....Yes, because sinners are poor and only go to state schools.

Admission standards is not even what I consider to be the key component of "academic integrity," and I'm not even sure graduation rates are either. The key things seem to be are the student-athletes truly students once they are there? Are they playing by the same rules as all other students? Are the student athletes challenged to engage in something other than basket weaving, or phys ed majors? That's just a few things. Of course, you want to have fair admissions standards, but then I also do not want to see capable but ill-prepared students left out in the cold. Of course, there are many local and junior colleges that can help a determined student to catch up from a lacking pre-college education.

Of course, most of our universities are just trade schools anymore, so its a bit hypocritical to worry about whether or not a student is using a university to ply his future trade of professional sports (but I digress).

But then, there are great stories that made Ohio State's loss last Sunday a little easier to swallow, with Terrance Dials and JJ Sullinger missing their graduation for their final basketball game as Buckeyes. Hopefully, they have completed courses of studies that will benefit them to make a living and be productive members of our society outside of their ability to jump and swipe balls out of the air or make a six foot jumper with three people hanging on them.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 02:16 PM
Now I am very much in favor of high academic standards, but I always thought the purpose of college is to prepare students for a career. You could argue that athletics is simply the career that some students are being prepared for.I saw this after preparing my post. That is what many universities have become. I wish they were more about preparing thinkers than accountants, businessmen and professional athletes.

Matt700wlw
03-24-2006, 02:17 PM
Nancy needs to be anywhere but Cincinnati.

She's done enough damage -- I hope she goes before she screws something else up.

savafan
03-24-2006, 02:22 PM
Update from Willy.

He said a lawyer who he knows, that represents high profile people in the city, told him Zimpher is interviewing with Northwestern today. He said she feels she's burned too many bridges to stay here and it's time to move on.

That only took 365 days too long.

OldRightHander
03-24-2006, 03:05 PM
I saw this after preparing my post. That is what many universities have become. I wish they were more about preparing thinkers than accountants, businessmen and professional athletes.

I am inclined to agree with you, but there is a pragmatic part of me that sees college as a means to an end, and if your time spent there prepares you for a fulfilling career then it wasn't wasted. I am in favor of keeping standards at an acceptable level, but there are also many kids who have a lot of athletic ability but not a whole lot of smarts. It's sad, but sports provides the best chance of success for some of these kids. I'm not saying I like it or I don't wish it could be different, but that is the way it is viewed by many people these days. Like you, I am something of an idealist, but it appears that those ideals are far from the reality today.

Matt700wlw
03-24-2006, 03:16 PM
UC has denied the story.

What a shame.

Jaycint
03-24-2006, 03:26 PM
In a wierd bizarro world kind of way I would almost be just as PO'd if she did leave now. It's almost like she should have to stay here and suffer through the damn mess that she has made. For her to come in here and in the space of a year or two completely destroy something that Huggins, his staff and his players worked so hard to build over the course of 15 years and then for her to be able to just ride off into the sunset with some sort of "mission accomplished" grin on her face makes me sick to my stomach. SHe should have to suffer some too like all of us loyal UC fans will have to do for the next 3 or 4 years.

This is one of the few times on RedsZone where I wish there were no abusive language rules to follow. I don't think I've EVER felt such ill will towards someone I've never personally been involved with in my entire life.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 03:59 PM
UC has denied the story.

What a shame.
You mean Willy was blowing smoke?

Well, now I need to find a new hero :p:

savafan
03-24-2006, 04:11 PM
This is one of the few times on RedsZone where I wish there were no abusive language rules to follow. I don't think I've EVER felt such ill will towards someone I've never personally been involved with in my entire life.

Head on over to Ochre's board and let loose. It's good therapy.

Chip R
03-24-2006, 04:17 PM
You mean Willy was blowing smoke?

Hard to believe, isn't it?

CincyRedsFan30
03-24-2006, 04:52 PM
I usually like Willy, but it is well-documented that he likes to cause controversy.

Zimpher was at Cronin's introductory presser today. That doesn't mean she didn't interview at Northwestern, but I am doubting it. As a side note: she sure seemed to be in a good mood at the press conference.

Another thing I heard Willy say earlier is that the school intentionally prevented White/Muhammad from playing in order to get Andy out ASAP. That's simply not true. They weren't allowed to play because they didn't attend a class more than a couple of times and as a result failed it. Willy tried to say at one point that they "invented" an academic issue for them, which isn't correct.

Matt700wlw
03-24-2006, 04:57 PM
As a side note: she sure seemed to be in a good mood at the press conference.

Yay for her.

savafan
03-24-2006, 05:01 PM
As a side note: she sure seemed to be in a good mood at the press conference.

She was in a good mood at the Huggins resignation press conference also.

traderumor
03-24-2006, 05:11 PM
I usually like Willy, but it is well-documented that he likes to cause controversy.

Zimpher was at Cronin's introductory presser today. That doesn't mean she didn't interview at Northwestern, but I am doubting it. As a side note: she sure seemed to be in a good mood at the press conference.

Another thing I heard Willy say earlier is that the school intentionally prevented White/Muhammad from playing in order to get Andy out ASAP. That's simply not true. They weren't allowed to play because they didn't attend a class more than a couple of times and as a result failed it. Willy tried to say at one point that they "invented" an academic issue for them, which isn't correct.Again, I am shocked that Willy would just make this stuff up out of thin air. :devil:

savafan
03-24-2006, 06:07 PM
Again, I am shocked that Willy would just make this stuff up out of thin air. :devil:

Cue the pre-recorded Chaz Luken bits.

Heath
03-24-2006, 10:04 PM
Over under on how long it takes her to run Randy Walker off? :)

And if that happens, you can bet the farm that someone's gonna take a run at him and absoultely love the guy.