PDA

View Full Version : Okay...so every once in a while you gotta watch a chick-flick to keep her happy...

max venable
03-26-2006, 12:20 AM
...so, I'm asking all you guys...

What do you recommend if you have to endure them every now and again?

My wife and I recently watched Just Like Heaven. And...actually, I liked it. Thumbs up :thumbup: (for a chick-flick).

Any others you'd recommend me adding to my Netflix queue that will keep my wife happy and me entertained?

dougdirt
03-26-2006, 01:33 AM
A Walk to Remember and The Notebook head my list.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-26-2006, 01:34 AM
I can't remember what the movie is actually called, but its about a woman living in Wal-Mart. I watched it with my girlfriend, and she was real happy that I sat through it, and I actually liked it..........................well just a little........:D

Ravenlord
03-26-2006, 03:41 AM
i think the one i was exposed to most recently was called "Like Water for Choclate." it's very well acted, but poorly dubbed. it's overly obvisous it was written by a lonely woman, but it has some very cool (and funny) moments.

wally post
03-26-2006, 04:02 AM
frida kicks butt -

The Baumer
03-26-2006, 04:10 AM
Best chick flick, hands down: Equilibrium.

GAC
03-26-2006, 09:47 AM
...so, I'm asking all you guys...

What do you recommend if you have to endure them every now and again?

Abien. For the wife/GF, not you.

That way you can watch the John Wayne marathon. ;)

Besides.... I don't make my wife "endure" sports when it's on. Why do I have to endure watching the Lifetime Movie Channel with her?

beb30
03-26-2006, 12:53 PM
The Notebook is by far the best

Others: Just like Heaven and A Walk to Remember

Falls City Beer
03-26-2006, 12:57 PM
Propaganda films--my little comrade loves 'em.

Hap
03-26-2006, 01:12 PM
Sex And The City is not a flick, but the uncut versions offer plenty for men to concentrate on.

Blimpie
03-26-2006, 06:29 PM
House of Sand and Fog (starring Jennifer Connoly :cool: )

max venable
03-26-2006, 06:41 PM
I can't remember what the movie is actually called, but its about a woman living in Wal-Mart. I watched it with my girlfriend, and she was real happy that I sat through it, and I actually liked it..........................well just a little........:D
Where the Heart Is. And yes, we liked it a lot too.

We also agree with A Walk to Remember. Another one we liked a lot was A Lot Like Love.

KronoRed
03-26-2006, 06:43 PM
Propaganda films--my little comrade loves 'em.
http://images.art.com/images/-/Viktor-Koretskii/Communist-Russia-Cold-War-Propaganda-Film-Limited-C10127236.jpeg

savafan
03-26-2006, 09:32 PM
The Notebook, Terms of Endearment and Hope Floats are ones that I recommend. Those are just off the top of my head, I can come up with a lot more. I actually tend to like chick flicks myself...I'm weird that way.

max venable
03-26-2006, 09:34 PM
Oh...here's another one I just thought of...

Return To Me (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0122459/)

dman
03-27-2006, 07:21 AM
The Wedding Singer. At least it has Adam Sandler in it which makes it easier for me to watch.

Roy Tucker
03-27-2006, 08:28 AM
Must Love Dogs, chick flick.

In Her Shoes, semi-chick flick.

Pride and Predjudice, could be classified as a chick flick, but I thought it was a fine movie.

A very rare movie is Mr. & Mrs. Smith. It's an action flick with lots of explosions, but my wife liked the relationship part.

max venable
03-27-2006, 09:18 AM
Pride and Predjudice, could be classified as a chick flick, but I thought it was a fine movie.

Totally agree...great movie...and pretty much a chick-flick IMO.

Sweetstop
03-27-2006, 10:30 AM
I'm not a guy, but in the vernacular of this thread, a chick, or perhaps better, a mother-hen... and a film buff to boot. I happen to enjoy many genre's, the last movie I watched being Kurosawa's "Hidden Fortress." Perhaps your wife's tastes are broader than you may think, Max.;)

But in keeping with the tone (chick flicks YOU can "endure") here's a few ideas for your Netflix queue:

Junebug - with that terrific Oscar-nominated performance by Amy Adams

In Her Shoes - I second Roy's recommendation. It's directed by Curtis Hanson (L.A. Confidential, Wonder Boys).

Older but worthy of repeat viewing:

As Good As It Gets
High Fidelity
Sense & Sensibility (as good or better than P&P)
Moonstruck
Annie Hall
Amelie
Alice Doesn't Live Here Anymore (Ellen Burstyn Oscar-winner, directed by Martin Scorsese)

Classic and terrific:

A large portion of Cary Grant's filmography is a sure way to many women's hearts.

Hepburn and Tracy films...Woman of the Year is a particular favorite of mine.

The Thin Man series w/ Powell and Loy is a lot of fun.

Falls City Beer
03-27-2006, 10:42 AM
Classic and terrific:

A large portion of Cary Grant's filmography is a sure way to many women's hearts.

Hepburn and Tracy films...Woman of the Year is a particular favorite of mine.

The Thin Man series w/ Powell and Loy is a lot of fun.

The Thin Man and the Hepburn/Tracy/Grant screwball comedies are chick flicks?

Okay maybe some of the Hepburn/Tracy movies, but I've always seen mass appeal in the screwball comedies. And is there any greater man's man than William Powell?

Austen, too, doesn't seem chick-flicky to me either, for some reason.

Sweetstop
03-27-2006, 11:42 AM
The Thin Man and the Hepburn/Tracy/Grant screwball comedies are chick flicks?

Okay maybe some of the Hepburn/Tracy movies, but I've always seen mass appeal in the screwball comedies. And is there any greater man's man than William Powell?

I would agree with you. I happen to think the name of the category is flawed and annoying, but some men do seem to lump romance-relationship (including screwball comedies) and certain period pieces into it. You obviously don't.:)

William Powell, especially as chain-drinking Nick Charles, WAS as smart, funny, debonair and loveable as can be...a woman's man too!

vaticanplum
03-27-2006, 11:43 AM

Two words: Colin Firth.

westofyou
03-27-2006, 11:52 AM
Sense & Sensibility (as good or better than P&P)

The movie version yes... BBC version?

No way.

On that note for a good "chick flick" I suggest

Bride and Prejudice, the Bollywood version

Sweetstop
03-27-2006, 01:18 PM
The movie version yes... BBC version?

No way.

On that note for a good "chick flick" I suggest

Bride and Prejudice, the Bollywood version

My favorite P&P is definitely the series version w/ Colin Firth, but I think Ang Lee's S&S ranks right there with it.

Along the line of Bride & Prejudice is Monsoon Wedding, which I recommend highly.

westofyou
03-27-2006, 01:28 PM
My favorite P&P is definitely the series version w/ Colin Firth, but I think Ang Lee's S&S ranks right there with it.

Along the line of Bride & Prejudice is Monsoon Wedding, which I recommend highly.
True the scene where Hugh Grant reveals his "true feelings" is a great one indeed.

As for "Chick Flicks" my wife says there is no such thing, just movies for people and then "Prick Flicks" movies for little boys.

Falls City Beer
03-27-2006, 01:35 PM
I would agree with you. I happen to think the name of the category is flawed and annoying, but some men do seem to lump romance-relationship (including screwball comedies) and certain period pieces into it. You obviously don't.:)

William Powell, especially as chain-drinking Nick Charles, WAS as smart, funny, debonair and loveable as can be...a woman's man too!

I agree the term chick flick is not only mildly insulting, but wholly inaccurate in 99 out of 100 cases. Oh I suppose Thelma and Louise might be a chick flick insofar as it focuses entirely on women and the male characters are cardboard cutouts or caricatures of real-world men.

The expression "chick flick" is pretty bankrupt, or it's merely code for "romantic comedy/drama."

Sweetstop
03-27-2006, 01:38 PM
[QUOTE=westofyou
As for "Chick Flicks" my wife says there is no such thing, just movies for people and then "Prick Flicks" movies for little boys.[/QUOTE]

I like that. :D If it's okay w/ your wife I'm going to use "prick flicks".

westofyou
03-27-2006, 01:43 PM
Oh I suppose Thelma and Louise might be a chick flick insofar as it focuses entirely on women and the male characters are cardboard cutouts or caricatures of real-world men.I asked my wife what a good "chick flick" was and she said Thelma and Louise.

CrackerJack
03-27-2006, 02:00 PM
My GF and I just watched "Frances" Saturday night, great movie, awfully depressing.

The story of Frances Farmer is not a pretty one though, and while it is very well done over-all, it's just a sad, sad story.

Not sure if that qualifies as a chick flick though. :)

OldRightHander
03-27-2006, 03:19 PM
I'm lucky if I can get my wife to watch any movie at all. She will watch anything that is funny but fairly clean, or based on a true story. If it has too much violence or more than three obscene words, she tunes it out. Movie watching is just something I do when she's not around for the most part.

DropDocK
03-27-2006, 04:54 PM
Million Dollar Baby
Quite a surprise going into it thinking it was another Eastwood movie. I'm not a fan of boxing but you can't help get caught up in it.

In Her Shoes gets another vote from me.

Death Becomes Her for those with more eccentric tastes. Funny and still kind of chick-flickish with Meryl Streep and Goldie Hawn.

Chip R
03-27-2006, 05:08 PM
Million Dollar Baby
Quite a surprise going into it thinking it was another Eastwood movie. I'm not a fan of boxing but you can't help get caught up in it.

You can always justify watching a chick flick, as a guy, by watching one with Clint Eastwood in it. ;)

Sweetstop
03-27-2006, 05:13 PM
You can always justify watching a chick flick, as a guy, by watching one with Clint Eastwood in it. ;)

You mean like The Bridges of Madison County, Chip? ;)

Rojo
03-27-2006, 07:28 PM
Just avoid anything by Cameron Crowe. How anyone could be entertained about that happy horse-poo is beyond me?

savafan
03-29-2006, 03:02 AM
Love Actually, Sisterhood of the Travelling Pants, Three to Tango and 50 First Dates are four more that are in my collection that I really enjoyed.

cincinnati chili
03-29-2006, 08:45 AM
Taxi Driver

Commando

UHF

Dumb and Dumber

Chicks love 'em.

Chip R
03-29-2006, 10:56 AM
You mean like The Bridges of Madison County, Chip? ;)

Good example.

Benihana
03-29-2006, 11:04 AM
My top three:

Love Actually
She's the One
Love and Sex (not an x-rated film as it sounds)

all three are actually great movies

Sweetstop
03-29-2006, 11:07 AM
Love Actually is a good Christmas movie (of the R-rated variety), also.

redsfanfalcon
04-01-2006, 01:16 PM
What about Fever Pitch? A semi-chick movie...it's mushy enough, yet guy enough to have baseball.

Larkin411
04-01-2006, 02:10 PM
Junebug - with that terrific Oscar-nominated performance by Amy Adams

I've been wanting to see that, Ebert couldn't say enough nice things about it.

As a chick, I would add Persuasion which is my favorite Jane Austen adaptation. I also second Moonstruck which is awesome(especially the "bread" scene with Nic Cage- so funny!).

RFS62
04-01-2006, 09:00 PM
My wife really liked "Ever After".

The Baumer
04-02-2006, 01:31 AM
Now that I think of it, if you're "chick" is into indie films you can watch the New World with Colin Farrel and Christian Bale. The love story is magnificent.

StillFunkyB
04-02-2006, 01:49 PM
High Fidelity

I wouldn't clasify anything with Jack Black a "chick flick" :)

I really like High Fidelity.

I watched "Upside of Anger" on one of the movie channels one night in the hotel room while I was on the road. I actually liked it, of course it's Kevin Costner, and you bet he was a "former" pro baseball player. :)

DropDocK
04-03-2006, 10:28 AM
I wouldn't clasify anything with Jack Black a "chick flick" :)

Not really a fan of Jack Black but Shallow Hal was alright,imo, and could creep into that category.

westofyou
04-03-2006, 11:35 AM
Not really a fan of Jack Black but Shallow Hal was alright,imo, and could creep into that category.
If you think "Shallow Hal" is a "Chick Flick" you have a load to learn about women.

vaticanplum
04-03-2006, 12:57 PM
High Fidelity is one of my favorite books, and I cried, cried when they butchered the movie. I will never forgive John Cusack for that.

DropDocK
04-03-2006, 02:00 PM
If you think "Shallow Hal" is a "Chick Flick" you have a load to learn about women.

I consider myself very knowledgeable about women. ;)
That just goes to show that even among "chicks" we have varying degrees about what constitues a chick flick.

Nugget
04-03-2006, 10:08 PM
For Love of the Game - try and convince her from the blurb that its a romantic drama.