PDA

View Full Version : Tigers release Carlos Pena

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2006, 11:46 AM
Come on Krivsky, make us proud. Pena is a good gloveman and has posted an OPS over .800 the last two seasons while hitting 45 homeruns. Sign him!

Tigers release first baseman Pena

LAKELAND, Fla. (AP) - Carlos Pena was unconditionally released Sunday by the Detroit Tigers after the first baseman struggled during spring training.

Pena batted .160 with one home run in 50 at-bats in exhibition games.
He split last season between Detroit and Triple-A Toledo. He hit .235 with 18 homers in 79 games with the Tigers and .311 with 12 homers with the Mud Hens.

Pena signed a $2.8 million, one-year contract that wasn't guaranteed and will receive $688,525 in termination pay.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/5445586

Joseph
03-26-2006, 11:50 AM
I'm all for this signing as well, if for no other reason than defense.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-26-2006, 11:51 AM
I sure do hope that we get him

guttle11
03-26-2006, 12:09 PM
The Reds will not sign him. Krivsky's not interested in first basemen, he's looking for pitchers. How dare him...

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2006, 12:10 PM
Carlos Pena post-2005 All Star Break

.286/.345/.662-1.007 OPS

15 homeruns 133 atbats.

RedsManRick
03-26-2006, 12:16 PM
Everything I've read suggests that his swing is just way too long to compete against good major league pitching. He's a dangerous mistake hitter, but is totally overmatched against anybody with velocity. He does have solid plate discipline, but still strikes out a lot because of low contact rates.

Given our lack of organizational depth at 1B (AJ Zapp our only 1B in AAA?) I think he'd be a solid pickup. However, at 28 it doesn't look like he's ever going to add bat speed and best case scenario is something along the lines of a .250/.340./.480 type line.

His defensive reputation as he came up from the minors does not appear to have been borne out in his major league performance.

.181/.307/.283

3 homeruns 127 at bats

reds44
03-26-2006, 12:17 PM
I agee

Sign him!!

Danny Serafini
03-26-2006, 12:41 PM
He got the Austin Kearns treatment last year went he got sent down, and it really lit a fire under him. I think he's worth a shot.

TC81190
03-26-2006, 12:43 PM
Please. Please. This would pull Mr. Krivsky out of my doghouse. It's a no-brainer. :pray:

KoryMac5
03-26-2006, 12:48 PM
Pena does not have a quick bat. There were times last season when he could not handle even an average major league fastball thrown over the heart of the plate. But throw him an offspeed pitch without much on it, and Pena will murder it. He has good power and will drive the ball out of the park to right field. Pena also has a pretty good concept of the strike zone. He does not swing at many bad pitches and will draw walks. However, he swings through a lot of fastballs most power hitters drive with authority.

The report on Pena per scouts inc.

guttle11
03-26-2006, 12:51 PM
Please. Please. This would pull Mr. Krivsky out of my doghouse. It's a no-brainer. :pray:

Out of your doghouse? Are you serious?

He's been here for 2 months and the team has yet to play a game that's meaningful, yet he's already in people's doghouses? My goodness.

cinredsfan2000
03-26-2006, 12:53 PM
Is he somebody chambliss could work with? or possiblly send down to AAA and work on his swing if he was signed?

Heath
03-26-2006, 12:57 PM
I'll take Carlos Pena for the block of Scott Hatteburg.

There is no comparison. None.

Scott Hatteburg was signed for one reason. Let's keep him at that reason.

Krusty
03-26-2006, 01:05 PM
We also got Rich Aurilia to play lst base. Why do we need more?:devil:

PuffyPig
03-26-2006, 01:09 PM
Pena will go to the team that provides him the best opportunity to play and succeeed. With our need, and ballpark, I suggest that he could succeeed better here than most anywhere else. We would also only have to pay him the minimum, as the Tigers will pay the rest.

captainmorgan07
03-26-2006, 01:24 PM
ehh im on teh fence with this one yes i think we should give him a chance he still is young but i just don't kno wats the payroll these days with all these pickups

M2
03-26-2006, 01:27 PM
I imagine Pena will go unclaimed because I doubt another team wants to pick up his contract. After that the Reds can see if he filters into the bargain price range where they'd want him.

Heath
03-26-2006, 01:30 PM
I imagine Pena will go unclaimed because I doubt another team wants to pick up his contract. After that the Reds can see if he filters into the bargain price range where they'd want him.

M2 - you probably have this laying around - what's his splits overall & home and away.

Also - just intriging - what is his splits on interleague -

flyer85
03-26-2006, 01:34 PM
Everything I've read suggests that his swing is just way too long to compete against good major league pitching. He's a dangerous mistake hitter, but is totally overmatched against anybody with velocity. He does have solid plate discipline, but still strikes out a lot because of low contact rates.

Given our lack of organizational depth at 1B (AJ Zapp our only 1B in AAA?) I think he'd be a solid pickup. However, at 28 it doesn't look like he's ever going to add bat speed and best case scenario is something along the lines of a .250/.340./.480 type line.

His defensive reputation as he came up from the minors does not appear to have been borne out in his major league performance.

.181/.307/.283

3 homeruns 127 at batsand having said all that he is still a better option than Hatteberg. Especially since his type of hitter plays better in GABP than a Hatterberg type.

However, I have no doubt that the Reds are not interested.

flyer85
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
I imagine Pena will go unclaimed because I doubt another team wants to pick up his contract. After that the Reds can see if he filters into the bargain price range where they'd want him.He has been released and is now a free agent. He can be signed for the minumum or the best deal he can negotiate. The Tigers paid him the ~700K he was due.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2006, 01:36 PM
M2 - you probably have this laying around - what's his splits overall & home and away.

Also - just intriging - what is his splits on interleague -

Home-.907 OPS
Road-.690 OPS

Pre ASB-.590 OPS
Post ASB-1.007 OPS

0-for-6 in Interleague.

Three-Year Splits

Home-.808 OPS
Road-.780 OPS

jnwohio
03-26-2006, 01:43 PM
The original article said the ML contract was not guaranteed and that he would receive (about) a $700,000 lump sum settlement on it. So does a waiver claimamt have to take the old contract or was the writer just assuming he would go unclaimed?

Danny Serafini
03-26-2006, 01:45 PM
His old contract is now gone. He's a free agent and can negotiate whatever deal he can with anyone.

Heath
03-26-2006, 01:48 PM

Home-.907 OPS
Road-.690 OPS

Pre ASB-.590 OPS
Post ASB-1.007 OPS

0-for-6 in Interleague.

Three-Year Splits

Home-.808 OPS
Road-.780 OPS

Thanks - I was wondering what Comerica did to his averages -

Raisor
03-26-2006, 02:39 PM
Over the last two years, Pena's been worth about 10 more runs per 600 PA's over Hatteberg. I'll venture a guess and say with Hatteberg's age we're looking at 20+ runs in 2006 (last year Pena was worth about 25 more runs per 600 PA's then Hatteberg).

Looks like a no brainer.

harangatang
03-26-2006, 02:51 PM
Over the last two years, Pena's been worth about 10 more runs per 600 PA's over Hatteberg. I'll venture a guess and say with Hatteberg's age we're looking at 20+ runs in 2006 (last year Pena was worth about 25 more runs per 600 PA's then Hatteberg).

Looks like a no brainer.

Going with Hatteberg of course. :D

KronoRed
03-26-2006, 03:04 PM
Going with Hatteberg of course. :D
The Hatteberg Aurilia platoon you mean :help:

RedLegSuperStar
03-26-2006, 03:41 PM

Agreed.. Hasn't shown me much as of late but this is a definate improvement over Hattenberg/Aurilia/Valentin/Joe Smoe

Jpup
03-26-2006, 03:47 PM
Agreed.. Hasn't shown me much as of late but this is a definate improvement over Hattenberg/Aurilia/Valentin/Joe Smoe

Hatteberg.:mooner:

BigRed
03-26-2006, 04:17 PM
I think we need to give Mr. Krivsky a little more credit. With Minnesota, he has seen plenty of Carlos Pena. With his scouting experience, I am sure that he has a better assessment of Pena than any of us have. However, I have no clue whether they are even looking for a 1B. Let's just be thankful at this point that Dan O is not here.

flyer85
03-26-2006, 04:21 PM
However, I have no clue whether they are even looking for a 1B. if you want to win you had better be. Tthe Reds likely have the worst everyday 1b in the majors

TC81190
03-26-2006, 04:23 PM
if you want to win you had better be. Tthe Reds likely have the worst everyday 1b in the majors

And yet, they could have one of the best, but he's currently in LF just waiting for his weight to destroy himself.

VI_RedsFan
03-26-2006, 04:51 PM
We need to pick this guy up. He should come cheap, and he could give us a lot more offense at 1B rhan Hatteberg, especially in the HR category. I say sign him to a 1 or 2 year deal. Get on it, Kriv!

Nugget
03-26-2006, 05:36 PM
Why do we need another home run/strikeout hitter????????

Raisor
03-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Because home runs are good? and strike outs aren't that bad?

I'll take Pena's HR's and K's over Hatteberg's...well, whatever it is that Hatteberg does, every day of the week, and twice on sunday.

OnBaseMachine
03-26-2006, 05:44 PM

Ummm...because our starting 1B sucks?

Pena has posted an OPS over .800 the last two seasons and hit 45 homeruns in a pitchers park.

Why must we complain about strikeouts/homerun hitters??? A strikeout is just an out. I wish people could understand that.

max venable
03-26-2006, 05:49 PM
Count me in with the other 'zoners who want to sign Pena. I've always liked the dude.

WMR
03-26-2006, 06:10 PM
I'm on board with anything that gets Hatteberg back on the bench where he belongs... of course, it should be Dunn playing 1st with Griff in left and Deno getting some development in CF... and Womack picking splinters out of his butt while Freel plays second... but that'd all be too easy, wouldn't it??

toledodan
03-26-2006, 08:43 PM
Because home runs are good? and strike outs aren't that bad?

I'll take Pena's HR's and K's over Hatteberg's...well, whatever it is that Hatteberg does, every day of the week, and twice on sunday.

kinda like last season with casey. i would have rather casey strike out 25-30 more times than have him hit into that many double plays.

bucksfan
03-26-2006, 10:53 PM
Having seen a decent amount of Pena last year with the Hens, I agree with the scouting report about his ability to catch up with a good heater, but I would still recommend picking him up given the Reds' current situation at 1B (if they are so doggone determined that neither Dunn or Junior will play there). Carlos CAN be a good fileder and does exhibit patience at the plate.

Ravenlord
03-26-2006, 11:02 PM
Hee-Seop Choi...Carlos Pena...Craig Wilson...heh, even Russell Branyan...

or the Hatteberg/Aurilia connection.

i know which way i'd go with it.

Topcat
03-27-2006, 01:39 AM
To me this kid would be an excellent pickup. After all the Drek that the reds have recycled over the years, this has to come across as a no brainer.

missionhockey21
03-27-2006, 07:15 AM
I would of been much more pleased with picking up Choi, but Carlos Pena has been a kid I've been rooting for and as indicated by his post-ASG numbers, the kid tore it up. Obviously better potential (and current production) than the scrap we're running out at 1B.

Please someone with insider info say that we're at least interested. Too often it seems like great low risk-potential high reward signings slip by us without even an effort, I just want an effort. In other words, the front office telling me that there looking for more than empty average hitters (if you want to call them that) and are looking for not only production but youth to some degree. For a team that should be in a rebuilding state, we just keep getting older without our chances to suceed increasing.

LexingtonRedsFan
03-27-2006, 07:50 AM
Another interesting angle on Pena, at least to me, is this:

1. Reds organization tries to stay away from Scott Boros
2. Pena is a Boros guy
3. With new GM and Owner, will the Reds continue to stay away from Boros and his clients (wasnt Sardinha the last Boros guy the Reds have dealt with??)

I think it will be interesting to see if the new ownership group will want to have any dealings with Boros, especially since IIRC, he has some of the top college arms in the upcoming draft......

stevekun
03-27-2006, 11:45 AM
Any chance we get this guy? He was released by the Tigers and might be a better option then Hatteberg

Heath
03-27-2006, 11:49 AM
Hi Steve -

We've been moved!

Also at the ORG - you can try this thread -

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=44130

I'm sorry you can't post there, but you can at least read it.

Me? I'm all in favor of it - it can't be worse than what we've got now. Plus, I mean, it's not like Terrence Long's available...wait...huh?...oh.

RedLegSuperStar
03-29-2006, 04:55 PM
Update: Carlos Pena has official cleared waivers making him a free-agent

Rotoworld.com:

Tigers announced that 1B Carlos Pena cleared waivers, making him a free agent.
No one was going to pick up Pena at the $2.8 million he was due to make. Now that he's cleared waivers, it shouldn't take him long to find work.

cincyinco
03-29-2006, 07:36 PM
Another interesting angle on Pena, at least to me, is this:

1. Reds organization tries to stay away from Scott Boros
2. Pena is a Boros guy
3. With new GM and Owner, will the Reds continue to stay away from Boros and his clients (wasnt Sardinha the last Boros guy the Reds have dealt with??)

I think it will be interesting to see if the new ownership group will want to have any dealings with Boros, especially since IIRC, he has some of the top college arms in the upcoming draft......

I believe Lopez is a Boras guy...

SirFelixCat
03-30-2006, 05:28 AM
Paging Big Donkey....I'd love to see him here...please? Any news?

mound_patrol
03-30-2006, 10:32 AM
ESPN insider does not mention pena at all.

flyer85
03-30-2006, 10:35 AM
ESPN insider does not mention pena at all.Probably more likely to get information from the Gammors or Olney blog/

mound_patrol
03-30-2006, 10:58 AM
olney mentions them cutting pena and that it would make sense for the redsox to take a look at pena. The Article regarding the cut mentions nothing about possible teams. That was all I could dig up for you. Sorry

RedLegSuperStar
04-16-2006, 07:38 AM
Update..

The Crankees have signed Carlos Pena to a minor league deal. But get this from rotoworld.com:

Yankees signed first baseman Carlos Pena to a minor league contract.
The Reds were crazy not to sign Pena and make him their starting first baseman immediately, and there were other teams that should have offered to bring him to the majors right away. The Yankees will assign him to Triple-A Columbus initially and could give him Andy Phillips' job in a few weeks. Since he could end up being a regular against right-handers at some point, he remains worthy of a bench spot in AL-only leagues.

Something tells me Pena could of put up at least comparable to better numbers then Hatteberg.

Raisor
04-16-2006, 08:56 AM
Has anyone picked up Choi yet?

OnBaseMachine
04-16-2006, 08:59 AM
Has anyone picked up Choi yet?

Red Sox did. He's currently on the 15-day DL.